Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5
Now viewing page 3 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> The dismantling of the MN muskie program?

Message Subject: The dismantling of the MN muskie program?
ToddM
Posted 4/7/2016 3:55 PM (#813128 - in reply to #812984)
Subject: Re: The dismantling of the MN muskie program?

78 acre Upper Long lake in Indiana is stocked with musky. The homowers welcomed the fish. Then came the guides, sometimes two and three at one time. To this day there are usually two there on the weekends. Then came the fisherman. Then came the complaints. The ramp with 4-5 rigs with fib tags plus guides. Everyone including the guides are very courteous. Now the lake recieves far fewer fish. The pressure is still there.

Edited by ToddM 4/7/2016 4:20 PM
Kirby Budrow
Posted 4/7/2016 4:04 PM (#813130 - in reply to #812984)
Subject: RE: The dismantling of the MN muskie program?

Gull Lake fishing pressure before muskie introduction

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(1617247_903053583072287_576875452772012807_o.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 1617247_903053583072287_576875452772012807_o.jpg (199KB - 367 downloads)
jonnysled
Posted 4/7/2016 4:16 PM (#813131 - in reply to #812984)

Home Owners Association Meeting? Going over the "it's our Lake" proposals? Or walleye and pout fishing without the wolf in the water?
madfish
Posted 4/7/2016 4:17 PM (#813132 - in reply to #813126)

I'm not trying to get into a big discussion, but what if they are using Musky Stocking to also address the "mass of ice fisherman" problem? Or the usage of big loud pleasure boats?

What if this is not a musky issue, but rather using the musky issue as a vehicle?
Pointerpride102
Posted 4/7/2016 4:37 PM (#813136 - in reply to #813132)

If you don't think that limiting traffic and lake use is a goal by this movement, you're naive.
jonnysled
Posted 4/7/2016 4:41 PM (#813139 - in reply to #813132)

Looks like Muskies are the least of their concern ... I bet they wish their lake was located northwest of Red Lake! The Mille Lacs dominoes effect in play.
Pointerpride102
Posted 4/7/2016 4:49 PM (#813140 - in reply to #813139)

Same group fought a facelift to the access already on "their" lake, that actually resulted in a reduction of a few parking spaces (I think, maybe it was no net gain), because a rejuvenated access would attract more boaters. They've also pushed to have one of the accesses closed citing AIS as a concern. Make no mistake, muskies are a mere puppet. I hear about ideas and pilot projects aimed at closing/limiting accesses all the time.
Brett Waldera
Posted 4/7/2016 4:54 PM (#813143 - in reply to #812984)

You can't compare MN to WI...you are missing a HUGE component in this whole debate. "Fishing Culture"...WI has had a muskie culture since before most of us were born. MN has to some extent with the Mississippi...but most lakes, Pelican included is "new". Well...within the last 40 years. These same cabin owners had these fish introduced and quite frankly...were not educated as well as they could have been in the process. The fear is real...after muskies have been in Pelican for 37 years...these same cabin owners still have that same fear that the muskies are going to eat them out of house and home. Fast forward 3-4 generations and these cabin owners now have always had muskies in the lake...muskie will most likely no longer be the scapegoat.

These anti-muskie bills are slippery, slippery, slope...I am afraid the writing is on the wall...I am happy I was able to fish through the MN boom...because as much as I hate to believe it...those days are over!

I can only hope for the future we can at least retain what many have worked hard to build...in 20 years MN can take another run at it cuz the main opposition we are fighting now will be gone. Time will heal the cultural imbalance.

Thanks to anyone who reads this who took time to email or call a MN Representative on this issue and request support!!!

my $.02
BNelson
Posted 4/7/2016 5:38 PM (#813148 - in reply to #813143)

spot on Brett, the musky "culture" is VERY different in WI ... visit a place like Boulder Junction, the "Musky capital of the world" and you will realize how different MN and WI... in northern WI the musky, is revered as a huge attraction to the area, in MN it is almost the opposite... MN overall does not cater to the musky fishermen like Northern WI does.. totally different vibe and feel ...you walk into any bar or restaurant in northern WI and the locals are happy to see you and ask you about the big one that got away....in MN you aren't exactly welcomed by the locals if you know what I mean.... that is what we are fighting against... and like Brett said, I'm glad we got to see MN at it's peak cuz the Govt stepping in will only make it go downhill from here...sad to say but that is what I see...

Edited by BNelson 4/7/2016 5:46 PM
dfkiii
Posted 4/7/2016 5:58 PM (#813153 - in reply to #813130)
Subject: RE: The dismantling of the MN muskie program?

Kirby Budrow - 4/7/2016 4:04 PM

Gull Lake fishing pressure before muskie introduction

Nice try, but the Jaycees world's largest charity ice fishing event isn't really "all season pressure", is it ?

http://icefishing.org/
castmaster
Posted 4/8/2016 6:23 AM (#813196 - in reply to #812984)

I'd encourage those who believe this is solely a muskie issue to take a cruise around Gull Lake and see if you spot more fishing boats or pleasure craft sitting at docks or on lifts.
jonnysled
Posted 4/8/2016 6:31 AM (#813197 - in reply to #813196)

castmaster - 4/8/2016 6:23 AM

I'd encourage those who believe this is solely a muskie issue to take a cruise around Gull Lake and see if you spot more fishing boats or pleasure craft sitting at docks or on lifts.

if that is so obvious then surely the overall fishing community is involved in contacting the legislature, right? and why do they still allow the walleye stocking vs. pushing against it? anybody have a pulse on that?

i wonder where walleyedan will move his business?

jvlast15
Posted 4/8/2016 6:56 AM (#813198 - in reply to #813197)

^^ But as has been stated before, there are thousands of walleye lakes. Stocking walleyes does not significantly increase pressure, and they have been doing that for years now anyway. Creating a new musky lake would create a lot more pressure, because there are less musky lakes so divide all of the musky anglers.
jonnysled
Posted 4/8/2016 7:02 AM (#813199 - in reply to #813198)

jvlast15 - 4/8/2016 6:56 AM

^^ But as has been stated before, there are thousands of walleye lakes. Stocking walleyes does not significantly increase pressure, and they have been doing that for years now anyway. Creating a new musky lake would create a lot more pressure, because there are less musky lakes so divide all of the musky anglers.

i'm in agreement with you. i don't buy into the notion that the defense by the homeowners to muskies is part of a ploy to take their lake private. the area is similar to ours and depends on tourism. does anyone really think that blocking tourism is going to fly in the Brainerd area?

Edited by jonnysled 4/8/2016 7:03 AM
Espy
Posted 4/8/2016 7:37 AM (#813205 - in reply to #812984)

How many homeowners on the lakes, like Gull for example, do you suppose are actually dedicated fishermen? An honest question to really consider. Especially when talking about Gull, I know its a pleasure lake more than fishing, ten fold.

I understand where Sled is coming from as maybe its not entirely to keep people out, but possibly they also don't want anything to change and allow more people in.

Edited by Espy 4/8/2016 7:41 AM
Pointerpride102
Posted 4/8/2016 7:41 AM (#813207 - in reply to #813199)

jonnysled - 4/8/2016 7:02 AM

i'm in agreement with you. i don't buy into the notion that the defense by the homeowners to muskies is part of a ploy to take their lake private. the area is similar to ours and depends on tourism. does anyone really think that blocking tourism is going to fly in the Brainerd area?

I don't know, there has been someone fairly vocal about the lack of need for tourism in the Minoqua area.....
dfkiii
Posted 4/8/2016 7:44 AM (#813208 - in reply to #812984)

It speaks volumes when the local population prefers jet skiers to musky fishermen on "their" lake.
jonnysled
Posted 4/8/2016 7:48 AM (#813209 - in reply to #813207)

Pointerpride102 - 4/8/2016 7:41 AM

I don't know, there has been someone fairly vocal about the lack of need for tourism in the Minoqua area.....

that someone works out of his house and in Honduras and doesn't depend on tourism to make a living. if our town was a third its size i'd be happy, but i generally don't like people and don't get much traction in the legislature.
Pointerpride102
Posted 4/8/2016 7:51 AM (#813210 - in reply to #813209)

jonnysled - 4/8/2016 7:48 AM

that someone works out of his house and in Honduras and doesn't depend on tourism to make a living. if our town was a third its size i'd be happy, but i generally don't like people and don't get much traction in the legislature.

I bet if you made a few million more dollars, your traction would improve!
ande
Posted 4/8/2016 8:34 AM (#813213 - in reply to #812984)

I really debated putting a reply up here but was encouraged by a good friend and great musky fisherman to do so.

This whole thing stems from lake property owners not wanting increased traffic on the lakes they live on and I completely understand that. (it is just cloaked on walleyes and other things as that doesn't sound selfish)

I have lived on a lake that has muskies for a long time and have been very involved with the Lake Association even holding an officer position for many years until recently.

The big problem from a lakeshore owner point of view is the vast amount of pressure, especially musky fishing pressure, puts on a lake. For those of you who don't live on a lake, how would you like it if on a nice quiet evening you wanted to enjoy a next door neighbor threw a wild party or a bunch of kids were running around screaming?

Last year the weekend before musky opener I was sitting on my dock and there was not a boat on the lake. I was lamenting the fact that the next weekend would be boats ripping all over until freeze up. Musky fishing in Minnesota is a growing sport and there is not enough water for the amount of fishermen.

It would also be great to eliminate jet skis, but too many property owners have them and they are a draw to bring up family for the weekend.

My point is that people can say what they want, but who isn't giddy when they are the only boat on a lake fishing muskies on a nice calm beautiful evening compared to fishing Minnetonka on Thursday night sailing league and nearly needing earplugs from all the boats ripping around the lake and the rough water.

Waters are public and should not be manipulated or owned by lake owners. If Minnesota could raise the number of waters with muskies way beyond the pressure, boat traffic would not be such an issue. Too bad we can't have 200 more lakes to spread the boat traffic out.

I don't see this issue going away anytime soon, but to the people negative about muskies in Minnesota that will change and more water will be added. Sometimes a person can lose the fight, but win the war.
esoxaddict
Posted 4/8/2016 9:26 AM (#813224 - in reply to #812984)

I'd bet the folks who own homes on the popular musky lakes would be behind stocking other lakes knowing it would take some pressure off their lake. If it's true that the wealthy lakefront landowners have more influence than the average joe, that's who needs to get behind this.
BrianF.
Posted 4/8/2016 9:46 AM (#813229 - in reply to #812984)

I don't discount that the average lake home owner might not want muskies stocked because of the increased boating pressure the fish brings, but my experience is that here in MN, where the walleye is king, there is a LOT of hostility towards muskies by walleye anglers who are not lake home owners.

Brett is right about the difference between Wisconsin and Minnesota when it comes to the culture of musky. Wisconsin embraces them and Minnesotan's see them as a threat. The relative value of walleye vs. musky flips once you cross the border.

So, the question for us Minnesotans should be: How do we promote and encourage the culture and tradition of muskies that Wisconsin enjoys? I get it about being respectful of the lake property owners, but there is something more than just that at the heart of the cultural differences between the two states when it comes to muskies.

Brad P
Posted 4/8/2016 10:09 AM (#813232 - in reply to #813229)

BrianF. - 4/8/2016 9:46 AM

I don't discount that the average lake home owner might not want muskies stocked because of the increased boating pressure the fish brings, but my experience is that here in MN, where the walleye is king, there is a LOT of hostility towards muskies by walleye anglers who are not lake home owners.

Brett is right about the difference between Wisconsin and Minnesota when it comes to the culture of musky. Wisconsin embraces them and Minnesotan's see them as a threat. The relative value of walleye vs. musky flips once you cross the border.

So, the question for us Minnesotans should be: How do we promote and encourage the culture and tradition of muskies that Wisconsin enjoys? I get it about being respectful of the lake property owners, but there is something more than just that at the heart of the cultural differences between the two states when it comes to muskies.

This is the long term answer in my opinion. We can play defense all day with these kinds of things, but in the end the ultimate solution is to grow the sport and increase not just the volume of our advocacy, but also the number voices who support our sport.
Cfollow
Posted 4/8/2016 10:20 AM (#813235 - in reply to #813213)

Thanks for the reply ande.
I have one question.
When it comes time for you or a neighbor to sell that lake front property on a muskie lake that is so busy with pressure is the price lower than a similar property on a similar sized non-muskie lake in the area??
ande
Posted 4/8/2016 10:31 AM (#813237 - in reply to #812984)

Cfollow,

I think no difference in price. Actually I think it could help that Muskies are in the lake.

Also the second biggest fear from an introduction standpoint to the lakeshore property owner is the urban legend, sea monster, and fairytale surrounding Muskies that will destroy the lake.

People fear what they don't understand.
Pointerpride102
Posted 4/8/2016 10:41 AM (#813238 - in reply to #813237)

ande - 4/8/2016 10:31 AM

Cfollow,

I think no difference in price. Actually I think it could help that Muskies are in the lake.

Also the second biggest fear from an introduction standpoint to the lakeshore property owner is the urban legend, sea monster, and fairytale surrounding Muskies that will destroy the lake.

People fear what they don't understand.

I've been looking at cabins in northern MN. From what I've seen (anecdotal) prices seem higher on musky lakes. Rusty's up north realty has a search feature that searches all properties available on musky lakes.
jonnysled
Posted 4/8/2016 10:43 AM (#813239 - in reply to #813238)

well, that was easy ... all you gotta do is send a flier to the homeowners and show up at the meetings with the realtor telling them their homes will lose value without the decision to open up to muskies.

crap, that was easy. didn't even need all three pages ...

good work team!
dfkiii
Posted 4/8/2016 11:13 AM (#813245 - in reply to #813239)

jonnysled - 4/8/2016 10:43 AM

well, that was easy ... all you gotta do is send a flier to the homeowners and show up at the meetings with the realtor telling them their homes will lose value without the decision to open up to muskies.

crap, that was easy. didn't even need all three pages ...

good work team!

Easy to prove with objective evidence too. Put together some fancy graphs and show the 2, 5, and 10 year increases in property value for musky/non musky lakes and watch the attitudes change.

Greed trumps all !
jonnysled
Posted 4/8/2016 11:24 AM (#813249 - in reply to #812984)

may not be tied directly to the subject but saw this as many of you probably have ... some pretty creative civil disobedience.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(12006203_994605327227845_4283810603005722758_n.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 12006203_994605327227845_4283810603005722758_n.jpg (74KB - 374 downloads)
castmaster
Posted 4/8/2016 4:31 PM (#813276 - in reply to #813210)

Pointerpride102 - 4/8/2016 7:51 AM

jonnysled - 4/8/2016 7:48 AM

I bet if you made a few million more dollars, your traction would improve!

Even better, I bet if he was a State Legislator he would get some traction. By George he may even have the authority to write his very own Bill. On top of that he might even find some of his "coworkers" are willing to trade votes with him to ensure everyone's pet Bills pass.

For anyone that has an open mind and wants to get a better picture of things, I'd encourage you to google search Gull Lake MN Resorts. Take a look at what's promoted. See how many resort websites have a fishing report. How many have pictures of fish, or fishermen/women. Then see how many talk a lot about fine dining, world class golf courses, spas, water skiing etc.

Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5
Now viewing page 3 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)