Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... >
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> All the info on the Ban on Muskie stocking, what we need to do.

Message Subject: All the info on the Ban on Muskie stocking, what we need to do.
Muskiefool
Posted 3/17/2016 10:27 AM (#810161)
Subject: All the info on the Ban on Muskie stocking, what we need to do.

Representative Anderson and Hackbarth have introduced a bill to stop stocking of future Muskie lakes! 

The bill will be heard in committee on Tuesday the 22nd of March. Contacting the author and co-author is a good idea but more importantly are the others who will be voting. This is where you need to let them know how important it is that the DNR be left to manage our lakes. It should not be left to Lake Associations and homeowners. These are our lakes, stocked with our license fees, not tax dollars. 

Take a few minutes and tell them how you feel, share this with everyone you know, tell your friends we need to stop this in committee on Tuesday and to please act now. As always; Be respectful, It will take a few Minutes to call and leave a message or to email.

This is only the be beginning of a slippery slope. Next they will decide they don't want Waterfowlers, Ice Fisherman, Jet Ski's, Boat landings or all Fisherman. This needs to stop, its encroaching on our Constitutional right to Hunt and fish.

Sec. 12. Preservation of hunting and fishing.

Hunting and fishing and the taking of game and fish are a valued part of our heritage that shall be forever preserved for the people and shall be managed by law and regulation for the public good.

[Adopted, November 3, 1998]

This is not a law for the public good, its a law for the Private lakeshore owners, we don't want a European system where only the wealthy have access to water. 

Call or write Now

Minnesota Legislature - Office of the Revisor of Statutes

Tom Hackbarth

651-296-2439 

[email protected]

Dale Lueck 
651-296-2365

[email protected]

Tom Anzelc 
651-296-4936 

[email protected]

Mark Anderson 
651-296-4293

[email protected]

John (Jack) Considine Jr. 
651-296-3248

[email protected]

Tony Cornish

651-296-4240 

[email protected]

Rob Ecklund

651-296-2190 

[email protected]

Jerry Hertaus 
651-296-9188

[email protected]

Brian Johnson 
651-296-4346

[email protected]

Debra Kiel 
651-296-5091

[email protected]

Eric Lucero 
651-296-1534

[email protected]

Denny McNamara

651-296-3135 

[email protected]

Carly Melin

651-296-0172 

[email protected]

Jason Metsa

651-296-0170 

[email protected]

Barb Yarusso

651-296-0141 

[email protected]

BNelson
Posted 3/17/2016 10:50 AM (#810167 - in reply to #810161)
Subject: Re: All the info on the Ban on Muskie stocking, what we need to do.

here is the list of reps that you should be able to simply copy and paste into an email so you don't have to do it one by one..
everyone that fishes muskies in MN or even those that don't should take 2 minutes and send an email that you support the continued stocking and introduction of new waters in MN.... no excuse if the anti's win on this...

[email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]
MOJOcandy101
Posted 3/17/2016 11:52 AM (#810174 - in reply to #810161)

Thanks BNelson for listing all those! Email sent.
jaultman
Posted 3/17/2016 12:05 PM (#810178 - in reply to #810174)

Can someone eloquent in writing, versed in legislation, and at least competent in fisheries draft something up that us laymen can send?
thescottith
Posted 3/17/2016 12:12 PM (#810179 - in reply to #810178)

Thanks for posting this, I sent an email to everyone on the list.
Now seeing Jaultmans post I probably should have had pointer proof read it.

sk
jaultman
Posted 3/17/2016 12:31 PM (#810181 - in reply to #810161)

I took a stab at it...

"I learned of a bill introduced that prohibits the MN DNR from introducing muskellunge to bodies of water with no current muskellunge (muskie) population.

I'm not well versed in the legislative process or the limitations when it comes to state legislation concerning the DNR, but it seems to me an overstep for legislatures to place such boundaries as this on the state's fisheries and wildlife experts.

Is there evidence that the introduction of muskies adversely effects ecosystems, or, what is most feared, the populations of other game fish? I don't believe there is. In fact, it's not hard to find studies that suggest muskies have little-to-no impact on the populations of other fish in a body of water.

There are other points to be made concerning the positive economic impact muskies have in this state, but in the case of limiting the domain of Minnesota's fish and wildlife experts, I say there must be sound science behind such a case.

Thank for your time, and please seek out the available relevant information before making a decision on this bill.

Sincerely,"
JacobG
Posted 3/17/2016 12:35 PM (#810183 - in reply to #810161)

Email with pic of my son and my wife both included. We are not hot headed arrogant jerks. We respect the fishery more than most. We care about the environment and we care about the sport. For me it's about my family catching fish and having fun doing it. Both my wife and son will be getting awards tomorrow night and they couldn't be more excited and I couldn't be more proud. Sure we can head out and catch walleyes and crappies. We do that as well and enjoy it. But they love to fish muskies. No different than any other musky guy. The lures. The casting. The following of a fish and of course catching and releasing. I think some of these legislators have an unwarranted stigma about musky fisherman. That, along with all the rest of the false information they have been fed is untrue. Send pics of your wife and kids! An 8 year old smiling ear to ear with a big Muskie says way more than I could ever put into words

Edited by JacobG 3/17/2016 12:37 PM
ArmPit
Posted 3/17/2016 1:14 PM (#810191 - in reply to #810183)

Done!
Jacko
Posted 3/17/2016 1:51 PM (#810196 - in reply to #810161)
Subject: RE: All the info on the Ban on Muskie stocking, what we need to do.

Not trying to stoke the fire too much here but the co-author rep. Mark Anderson has an address on Gull Lake which is on the proposed stocking list. He probably is going to push pretty hard to get this bill through.

Let those voices be heard!
Kirby Budrow
Posted 3/17/2016 1:58 PM (#810198 - in reply to #810161)

Done! You do it too!
Mojo1269
Posted 3/17/2016 1:59 PM (#810199 - in reply to #810191)

Feel free to copy and paste...

Respected Legislators

I am writing to express concern I have over the bill that has been introduced that would potentially stop future stocking of muskellunge in some Minnesota waters. As an avid fisherman of all species, I find it disappointing that the fear mongering and rhetoric of a small but vocal group of dissidents has gone so far as to be brought into potential legislation.

It has been scientifically proven that the concerns of these groups are unfounded and there position is based on false accusations, hyperbole and self directed interests.

The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources is the proper organization to make these decisions not individual lake associations or legislatures. To attmept to usurp there authority and allow for micro management does not allow for a holistic program that best serves the interests of all sportsmen.

Thank you for your time

Edited by Mojo1269 3/17/2016 2:00 PM
BNelson
Posted 3/17/2016 2:14 PM (#810203 - in reply to #810199)

email Tom Dietz sent...well said! Rep Anderson using his position for his own personal agenda is just flat wrong and corrupt!

As an avid angler residing here in Minnesota, I am truly appalled that Mark Anderson would propose a legislation to eliminate the stocking of muskellunge in waters that muskies are not native to originally.

Let's discuss the facts here. The only reason he has proposed this legislation is out of spite. He is a property owner on Gull Lake. He was vehemently against the DNR's proposal to stock Gull with muskies. Based on his personal emotions, he has created HF3207 to eliminate all future creations of musky lakes in Minnesota. This misuse of political power, purely based on personal emotions, is not fair to us as citizens who enjoy fishing for muskies.

Minnesota has a proud history of creating exceptional musky waters. Mille Lacs, Bemidji, Vermilion, Miltona and other lakes are fine examples of musky lakes that were created by the DNR and all of them are still exceptional walleye fishing lakes. To further my point, Lake of the Woods and Lake St. Clair are the top two muskellunge waters in the world, and they both are world class fisheries for walleyes, smallmouth bass, etc! Mark's position that muskellunge are detrimental to any given lake is biologically unsound.

Minnesota is still a must fish destination for many out of state anglers who want to catch big muskies, which equates to tourism revenue. Why then, would Minnesota propose a legislation that would prevent our state from creating more excellent musky fishing Lakes and more tourism revenue dollars?

Lastly, many of Minnesota's best walleye lakes were originally created through stocking, and are still maintained via stocking. Walleyes are predators too. Mark's argument in this legislation is that muskies are bad to introduce into lakes but walleyes are not. That is complete hypocrisy from a biological standpoint.

Please consider the facts presented here. Muskies do not hurt any lake. They are a low density predator. Leech Lake is yet another fine example of both walleyes and muskies living in harmony. A great fishing lake for both species! Please consider the real motive for this proposed legislation. Please consider the potential long term affect on loss of tourism dollars by such a sweeping legislation.

Vote NO to HF3207. This proposal is nothing more than Mark Anderson's personal vendetta against musky anglers, and was drawn up purely from his emotions on this issue. Not fair at all to thousands of Minnesota's anglers.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Tom Dietz
thescottith
Posted 3/17/2016 2:46 PM (#810208 - in reply to #810161)

Big Thanks to Tom and Everyone who has sent emails
MOJOcandy101
Posted 3/17/2016 4:04 PM (#810217 - in reply to #810161)

Here is what i sent, I probably should have someone proof read but if you like it feel free to copy and paste:

Hello, my name is Tyler Wenner, I grew up hunting and fishing for all species in this great state and have grown to respect the MN DNR and trust that what they do is the best for our states wildlife. It has came to my attention that a new bill is being introduced to stop the stocking of muskie. This all start with a select few people who believe that muskies will eat all the other game fish in the lake. Though our DNR, who are seen as one of the best DNR groups in all the country, believe this claim is false and have shown data proving this. Well a group that has nothing better to do and has plenty of resources to try to fight this claim have pushed this matter all the way to you. This is a group of people who have been fishing on the same spot for their whole life and do not understand that the world/water has changed around them, and because the fish have moved to a new location and now eat something a little bit different the same ole hook and worm, and they blame something else for their problems. They will also try to say that muskies are invasive species because they are not originally from the lake., but they are originally from Minnesota, and if we go by their theory than a lot of lakes that are currently stocked with walleyes and other fish should not be stocked as well. All I am asking is please listen to the DNR, the people who do this for a living, the people who are the professionals, the scientist, the biologist.

Thank you for your time
NathanH
Posted 3/17/2016 4:57 PM (#810224 - in reply to #810217)

Sending my email tonight. Thanks for the work on this guys. I wish Muskies inc would be doing something a post on their Facebook. Did I miss something.
Pointerpride102
Posted 3/17/2016 5:25 PM (#810231 - in reply to #810224)

Here is what I sent:

Representative,

I wanted to take the time to write to you about the proposed legislation against stocking muskies in new waters in the state of Minnesota. I strongly oppose this bill and I urge you to do the same.

There is a lot of false information going around about muskies. The vast number of reasons muskies are "bad" should give some indication as to how truthful these claims are. First, it's muskies eat all the walleyes. That's been proven false. Next, muskies are invasive species. Not according to the definition of invasive species used by the State. Now it's muskies are a public health threat as they can attack small children and pets. All of these reason are not based in any rational reality, especially that last one. Meanwhile, some of the best walleye fisheries in the state also happen to be great musky fisheries. Lake of the Woods, Leech, Pelican, Vermilion, and many other in neighboring states and across the nation. Do you wonder why that is? I don't. Low density predator populations help provide balanced quality fisheries. On top of all this, muskies provide a tremendous positive economic impact for this state. People travel far and wide to come fish muskies in Minnesota. I, myself, took a job here so I could spend my free time fishing muskies. Supporting this bill will drive away anglers.

Let's keep politics out of fisheries management. Many fisheries managers are not qualified to do your job, and I doubt many of you are qualified to do theirs. Please vote no on HF 3207 when you have the opportunity. Thank you for the time and the difficult job you do.

Respectfully,
jonnysled
Posted 3/17/2016 5:32 PM (#810233 - in reply to #810231)

Maybe put a small gift of tobacco in with the letter?
mnmusky
Posted 3/17/2016 6:31 PM (#810239 - in reply to #810233)

sent. thanks all. please, take a few minutes to do this.
anderj85
Posted 3/17/2016 6:38 PM (#810241 - in reply to #810161)

Email sent. It's unfortunate the tool introducing the bill is using his elected position to support his personal agenda. Dont worry, i didnt call him a tool in the email lol.
Tonkaman
Posted 3/17/2016 7:56 PM (#810253 - in reply to #810161)

I gave it a shot. Hope it's not too strong. Only took like two hours to get the words out of my head.

Respected Legislators,

I am writing to express the opinion of a passionate and respectful sportsman.
In recent days it has come to my attention of a proposed bill that would limit the stocking of muskellunge (Muskie) in lakes that have not been previously stocked. As an avid angler of many species of fish in this magnificent state I am quite frankly appalled that this proposed bill has made it all the way to legislation. It has been proposed by a small, however loud group of people that stocking of Muskie in lakes without naturally occurring populations will decimate the abundance of other game fish present in the lake such as Walleye.

The Minnesota Department of Natural resources believes that the statement provided by the small group of people to be false and no scientific evidence has been provided that Muskie would hurt other game fish populations. Stocking efforts of the DNR have produced some of the most highly praised Muskie fisheries in the country including Mille Lacs, Bemidji and Vermilion to name a few. Some of these waters are top tier walleye waters also. Furthermore Lake of the Woods is one of the top Muskie waters in the world in addition to being a world class fishery for walleyes and smallmouth bass.

Along with reputation for producing some astounding specimens of the incredible Muskie comes the buzz associated with it. Tourism from out of state anglers provides a significant amount of revenue to our state and local economies. To me it makes no sense to limit the amount of revenue small and large businesses in our state with the passing of a ridiculous bill like this one. Bait shops, restaurants, gas stations, guide services, hotels and parks all benefit from out of state anglers in addition to sales of out of state fishing licenses.

Finally, there is me. Like stated earlier am a multi species angler. Walleye, Smallmouth and Largemouth bass, Muskie, Pike, Sunfish, Crappie, Perch, Catfish, Lake Trout and even Carp! Fishing is more to me than any hobby, it is my absolute life. There is something I get out of fishing more than any other activity, peace. There is no other more enjoyable, relaxing, comforting and clean way to enjoy my time. It is worrying to me that a small group of people have set out to limit that for so many others like myself. People who claim to have the best interest of the fishery itself, but have no credible reasons to explain themselves. My honest opinion is a small group of people who feel that with enough persistence, money and skewed reality that they will be able to get enough individuals like yourselves to pass a bill like HF3207. Please do not pass this bill. I ask that you vote no on HF3207 or any bill in the future mirroring the same proposal. It is simply not right to press the beliefs of these individuals on the rest of us as acceptable.

If you have any other questions about Muskellunge feeding patterns please check for yourself. Google search for "what do Musky eat?". Please look if your curious otherwise please take the time to consider voting no on HF3207.

Respectfully,
Christopher Maas

Edited by Tonkaman 3/17/2016 7:58 PM
Propster
Posted 3/17/2016 9:48 PM (#810274 - in reply to #810161)

I sent my letters this evening after work so I've not gotten any responses. But apparently Tom Dietz has heard from a couple and they are apparently planning to support this legislation because it's what their constituents want. John Underhill - what's the next step, what can we do to try to swing things the other way?
ChiefFan08
Posted 3/17/2016 11:47 PM (#810290 - in reply to #810161)

Would it be worth an out of stater who travels to MN for Muskie fishing to send an email regarding economic impact/tourism $?
thescottith
Posted 3/18/2016 6:29 AM (#810299 - in reply to #810161)

I would encourage it, if you fish here, email.
Does anyone know Sven? the guys that fish with Brad from Musky Mayhem? It would be cool to get a couple of those guys from Sweden to send emails...
Propster
Posted 3/18/2016 6:56 AM (#810302 - in reply to #810161)

I'm headed up to Brad and Carries tonight for the weekend. I think that's an excellent idea, will see if o can get some contact info for that group and even if they can't get a personal note to these legislators in time, I can tell the story and estimate some spending figures for the past however many years it's been.
Jacko
Posted 3/18/2016 8:29 AM (#810308 - in reply to #810161)
Subject: RE: All the info on the Ban on Muskie stocking, what we need to do.

I would strongly urge everyone to call all the offices and ask for your call to be counted as a NO on this vote. It might take you 15mins to call all of them but it will make a difference.

I was having dinner last night with a cousin who is a lobbyist at the state capitol and she said the state rep offices count calls and present that tally at their meetings. So it does make a difference.

thescottith
Posted 3/18/2016 8:40 AM (#810311 - in reply to #810161)

Thanks Propster
Sorgy
Posted 3/18/2016 9:09 AM (#810318 - in reply to #810311)

Just and update!
I got a note that they are getting lots of e-mails from people in MN and people who come to MN.
I was told that the letters from outside of MN carry lots of weight as well. If you are not from MN please send e-mails to the above committee members to help shut this down.

Thank You

Steve
ChiefFan08
Posted 3/18/2016 9:11 AM (#810322 - in reply to #810318)

My out of state email has been sent to all of the reps listed above.
tackleaddict
Posted 3/18/2016 9:20 AM (#810325 - in reply to #810203)

BNelson - 3/17/2016 2:14 PM

email Tom Dietz sent...well said! Rep Anderson using his position for his own personal agenda is just flat wrong and corrupt!

As an avid angler residing here in Minnesota, I am truly appalled that Mark Anderson would propose a legislation to eliminate the stocking of muskellunge in waters that muskies are not native to originally.

Let's discuss the facts here. The only reason he has proposed this legislation is out of spite. He is a property owner on Gull Lake. He was vehemently against the DNR's proposal to stock Gull with muskies. Based on his personal emotions, he has created HF3207 to eliminate all future creations of musky lakes in Minnesota. This misuse of political power, purely based on personal emotions, is not fair to us as citizens who enjoy fishing for muskies.

Minnesota has a proud history of creating exceptional musky waters. Mille Lacs, Bemidji, Vermilion, Miltona and other lakes are fine examples of musky lakes that were created by the DNR and all of them are still exceptional walleye fishing lakes. To further my point, Lake of the Woods and Lake St. Clair are the top two muskellunge waters in the world, and they both are world class fisheries for walleyes, smallmouth bass, etc! Mark's position that muskellunge are detrimental to any given lake is biologically unsound.

Minnesota is still a must fish destination for many out of state anglers who want to catch big muskies, which equates to tourism revenue. Why then, would Minnesota propose a legislation that would prevent our state from creating more excellent musky fishing Lakes and more tourism revenue dollars?

Lastly, many of Minnesota's best walleye lakes were originally created through stocking, and are still maintained via stocking. Walleyes are predators too. Mark's argument in this legislation is that muskies are bad to introduce into lakes but walleyes are not. That is complete hypocrisy from a biological standpoint.

Please consider the facts presented here. Muskies do not hurt any lake. They are a low density predator. Leech Lake is yet another fine example of both walleyes and muskies living in harmony. A great fishing lake for both species! Please consider the real motive for this proposed legislation. Please consider the potential long term affect on loss of tourism dollars by such a sweeping legislation.

Vote NO to HF3207. This proposal is nothing more than Mark Anderson's personal vendetta against musky anglers, and was drawn up purely from his emotions on this issue. Not fair at all to thousands of Minnesota's anglers.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Tom Dietz

Lake St Clair is not that great for walleyes anymore, and perch are on the decline as well. We fight the battle here too with the "muskies ate all our walleyes" guys. I personally believe that changes in water conditions, overfishing for those species, Canadian farm runoff ruining spawning grounds, and changes to the bait structure are to blame. Ive never been to Minnesota but Im drafting my email to your legislatures now.
jonnysled
Posted 3/18/2016 11:07 AM (#810335 - in reply to #810161)

recommendation:
- don't write a narrative
- use bullets / keep it compact
- you want people to read and retain
- anybody read what EA writes?
- make sense?
- time is money ...
Jump to page : < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... >
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version