Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Finding forage fish on LOTW

Message Subject: Finding forage fish on LOTW
Stevo
Posted 2/9/2016 6:39 PM (#803905)
Subject: Finding forage fish on LOTW

Any tips on finding schools of baitfish in the Sabaskong Bay area of LOTW? I've fished it about 7 weeks total, each time during mid-July and I can count the numbers of times I've motored over large schools of bait in open water on one hand. By comparison I've been to Whitefish Bay only a few times via the boat dolly at Turtle Portage from Sabaskong Bay and each time have marked a number of schools of suspended baitfish. I should add my sonar lacks sidescan.
ESOX Maniac
Posted 2/9/2016 7:02 PM (#803910 - in reply to #803905)
Subject: RE: Finding forage fish on LOTW

Cisco's in whitefish bay no doubt, best advice I've learned from Dick Pearson and Herbie is to work the sustained wind, it moves the forage up to wind blown side of most structure, most muskies are there getting their snacks - it works. It doesn't matter if its a shoreline, reef complex or a island or saddle or bay....boat control is critical... narrow shutes can be good if wind is blowing down them, troll into the wind, the muskies are facing it, same as a river current.

Have fun!
Al

Edited by ESOX Maniac 2/9/2016 7:05 PM
IAJustin
Posted 2/10/2016 2:40 PM (#804120 - in reply to #803905)
Subject: Re: Finding forage fish on LOTW

Are you going to fish open water on LOTW in Sabaskong? That wouldn't be my first suggest to a LOTW "newbie" If you plan to fish in 20 feet or less don't worry about the baitfish connection.. especially in mid-july. LOTW is very fertile.. there is no shortage to what's on the menu... key on ambush spots.. LOTW muskies love the classic points, island complexes , saddles, narrows/current ect. in July. You get a crazy cold front you can also dig some out of the slop. If a spot looks really good fish it several times in a week.. if you catch a fish or see a fish on a spot chance are there are several others nearby.. good luck!

Edited by IAJustin 2/10/2016 2:43 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)