Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Best Rigging Tips You've Learned ...

Message Subject: Best Rigging Tips You've Learned ...
jchiggins
Posted 2/9/2016 6:28 PM (#803901 - in reply to #803640)
Subject: Re: Best Rigging Tips You've Learned ...

Another tip I learned from Steve Heiting years ago is to split ring all my leaders. No snaps. I make all my own leaders and split ring all my baits to the leader swivel. With a quality split ring plier I can change baits as fast as the next guy. There are a few baits with eyelets that need to be double swiveled.
Mike LoPresti
Posted 2/9/2016 6:50 PM (#803909 - in reply to #803897)

Useing a boga grip to unhook deeply hooked fish works well. Just grab the bottem jaw with the boga and lean the boga grip up against the boat and they're jaw gets pryed open and it keeps your hands and wrists away from hooks n teeth.-Hammernick

I drill little holes into the top of my planner boards and stick a mini glow stick in them like the ones the cat guys use for rod tips while I'm night trolling.

Keeping your trolling motor in the water while trolling is good not only to control the boat when the kicker or big motor are in neutral or idol especially in wind while fighting a fish but it's great to use the depth finder on your TM as a guideline and a warning when it's getting to shallow. Most times gives u enough time to swing out before ur baits get there. U have the whole length of the boat plus how ever much line to your baits to correct yourself then.

Taking a torch or a lighter lightly to your soft plastics to give them a shiny or almost wet look works great.-Scott Kieper

I've caught some fish on my version of the Burger King rig the guys out east use. Instead of a believer with a spoon trailer I like 14 in jakes with a 6-8 in piece of fluorocarbon attached where the back hook would be to a mini medudsa or spring dawg trailing. I gotta beleive it would work awesome with headlocks and other big trolling baits to.

Experimenting with heavier leaders with baits like shallow invaders jakes ect to make them more nuetrually buoyant.

This is a great thread to help pass the cabin fever!!! Keep em comin!
Jeff78
Posted 2/9/2016 7:02 PM (#803911 - in reply to #803909)

Back your drags and bearings off on your reels every night.
Born
Posted 2/9/2016 7:09 PM (#803912 - in reply to #803640)
Subject: RE: Best Rigging Tips You've Learned ...

Great thread. I have learned a lot.

I fish alone a lot and have found the yoke of my net fits perfectly wedged into my boat cleat, holding the net securely leaving me free to get tools and camera ready.
My camera has a custom delayed timer. I can set it up to take as many photos as I want with however many seconds delay I need. I have it set for five photos with a ten second delay. The camera mounts to a flexible arm camera mount.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
($_35.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments $_35.JPG (8KB - 339 downloads)
Jeremy
Posted 2/9/2016 7:19 PM (#803914 - in reply to #803640)

jonnysled - 2/8/2016 11:37 AM

I'll start it out with a couple ...

1. Double Your Line for Cranking and Ripping around Rocks ... simply take the end of your line and bring it as far up the main line as you want "doubled" and then pinch the end of the line and main line in one hand, then using the loop end simply tie and overhand knot where you are pinching the end. trim and you have doubled line down to the leader that will be less prone to break if frayed by rocks. this is a simple and logical trick i learned from Herbie ...

2. Tying Braid to Fluoro Direct ... this knot is a great one and i really see benefits tying fluoro leaders directly to braid for smallie, walleye and panfish fishing. it allows me to keep the same lightweight braid on the spool at all times without having to switch out the mainline. i just manage line wt. of leaders depending on what i'm fishing and at least i've come to believe that fluoro makes at all leader weights. once you practice a few times it's easy to tie anywhere and under any conditions with any line-weight.

http://www.fishcrack.com/fishing-101-how-to-tie-the-fg-knot-stronge...

Man, I'm a fly fisherman in another life and I thought I'd found most of the best/coolest knots. Guess knot (cough, cough) as this ones a winner I'd never heard of!

Not too sure I'd ever use it in my apps. but it's really good to know how its tied and works!

Thanks.
ESOX Maniac
Posted 2/9/2016 7:22 PM (#803915 - in reply to #803899)

LOL- "Stick to Electrical ...

Signed ... Chem E ..."

So those littlle chains of fluoro or mono can't cold flow if compressed? I suppose its not as fluid as when its extruded at temp, but it will happen over time - I like physic's too Sled. Any compressible material will naturally flow to alleviate the compression, old window glass even cold flows over time in response to gravity..... Thats where the ripples come from! Crimp away, its your choice... much like trolling eh? Copper compresses, but surface contact surface area is more critical for reliable electrical current connections.

Have fun!
Good luck with your crimps...
Al
jonnysled
Posted 2/9/2016 7:35 PM (#803921 - in reply to #803915)

To a point, but draw orientation, tensilizing and annealing used in this application it's for sure not going to be the weak link. Glacial cold-flow maybe.
Ben Olsen
Posted 2/9/2016 8:27 PM (#803930 - in reply to #803640)

Maybe you smart science guys can prove a ridiculous theory...No science here, purely based on observation! I joked with a buddy two years ago that I thought crimps were stronger than knots because they can't cut line like knots. I know this probably can't be true and certain knots don't apply pressure that way but...We we're catching 20lb+ Permit out of a giant school around a tower. We had to stop 'em quick because they were so close to the tower and had hooked and lost several as we ramped up our gear. We ended up with 100# mono leaders on TDL15 cranked to max drag(Permit in deep water are impressive!) I first used a tarpon loop and broke the knot (TLD15=over 30# of drag pressure+thumbs) Crimped a new hook on and landed one. Now I'm curious so I tied another one with tarpon loop except added a turn to the second part of the knot(essentially a figure 8 locked into a 3 turn nail knot) resulted in another knot failure...now I'm questioning my knots so I googled and tied a perfection loop and broke it!! Went back to crimps and landed another one. Thoughts? Would my results have been different with Fluoro? I hate heavy mono...always seems soft!
IAJustin
Posted 2/9/2016 8:54 PM (#803940 - in reply to #803640)

Ben..Would you see a difference? No...Its why guys that fish to feed their family with 600LB + Bluefin Tuna on the end of their line.. choose to crimp leaders over tying them! Crimps work.

Edited by IAJustin 2/9/2016 8:56 PM
jonnysled
Posted 2/10/2016 6:38 AM (#803984 - in reply to #803640)

when those materials tensilize, they get stronger, not weaker as the molecules line up and even as it "thins out" under a tensile load, the material gets stronger to (peak load). you could argue that a knot puts stress on the molecular chains under a tensile load creating a weak point at the apex of the knot to the line to the point where it could weaken the filament, but it absolutely doesn't add any "strength" or "toughness - modulus" to the material itself.

it you had a tag end from a knot and a tag end from a crimp that could be held by jaws and put it into an instron for pure linear tensile pull, i could almost guarantee the knot would break under a lower peak load and i bet i could guess with accuracy where it would break.

i'm not sure if i have a load cell big enough to test it, but i'll put it on my list.

that's precisely why i went to the FG knot for lighter-weight presentations ... the "knot" is stronger because the fluoro leader is in-line.

how do you think things like tear-tapes, strapping tapes and tapes for woven shipping containers are made? they are expected to withstand the World's toughest tensile and modulus applications in the world of transporting goods under extreme loads.

mono vs. fluoro ... i haven't studied the exact structure of the polymers, but we know they are different, so different chain lengths, sizes and molecular wt. distribution ... maybe molecular wt. distribution (avg. chain size or consistency - this is where brand to brand may vary) ... where they differ from each other is in the force-elongation. where the y axis is peak load (tensile strength) and the x axis is relative strain (elongation) ... the one with the largest area under the curve is considered to be the "toughest". some material go to a high peak load and break (these are usually relatively high mw. materials that are "harder" like polyesters, while others may not hit the highest peak load but stretch against the load may be better for certain applications. that elongation is the "tensilizing" stretch the material is undergoing and why you might be calling it "soft". it's the whole bend but don't break concept. for this reason you can buy a broad range of nylons as an example ... from hard/brittle (barefoot nylon 6) to soft (add plasticizers and get amorphous nylon 669). same for other materials.

Edited by jonnysled 2/10/2016 7:14 AM
ESOX Maniac
Posted 2/10/2016 8:28 AM (#804003 - in reply to #803984)

Sled, Where is a cinch knot, a.k.a. nail knot going to break? I like the FG knot, its smaller diameter with super braid on outside. I'm thinking back to back cinch knot with braid in center is better as the fluoro wraps help protect the braid from the guides, etc.... maybe its not an issue - I'm going to give the FG a shot. Thanks!

To answer the question about the permit hooks, just snell the hooks w/100lb fluoro leader, then attach leader w/hook to main line with either FG knot or back to back nail knot's. Get the Magnum Tie-Fast to make snells or cinch knot/nail knots, or a stiff plastic straw or small piece of hollow copper tubing...you can even snell trebles.

Hi-Sea's is the toughest flouro carbon I've found for abrasion resistance, my methods of testing fluoro hardness is probably a bit more primitive than Sled's, I bite it! Your teeth won't lie to you, just don't tell your dentist that you bite +80lb fluoro...LOL I bought every brand of fluoro I could find @ 80lb....including Seagar. Seagar is most supple for knots, I worry more about abrasion resistance.......and the water refraction index, the only problem with fluoro is cost/ft versus hard mono...I catch all kinds of fish on Hi-Sea's 80lb fluoro leaders, walleye's, smallies, northerns, muskies, and lake trout. Sometimes I drop to 50lb or 30lb...if I know there's no big girls hanging around...big girls need special attention to details....to get hooked up with one of them!

Have fun!
Al
jonnysled
Posted 2/10/2016 8:45 AM (#804009 - in reply to #803640)

would maybe be best to separate the subject of material strength to rigging tips. i'd rather see this thread continue to grow by folks contributing to other creative tips.

on your question, the answer is "it depends" ... tell me the failure mode you want to protect against and then material properties can be evaluated to consider that mode. there are times (hardness vs. toughness) that you will find yourself in a catch-22 and that's why nothing is perfect because one material usually can't do everything ... that's why God invented Co-Extrusions and Blenders.
jasonvkop
Posted 2/10/2016 11:38 AM (#804084 - in reply to #803833)

BNelson - 2/9/2016 11:44 AM

another simple one is to take a rod holder thing like this http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-Poly-Rod-Strap-Rod-Holder/pro... ... put it on your back deck or wherever you normally net / unhook fish where the handle would sit... on my 690 I put one on top of the battery compartment right in the middle running parallel w the boat...put net handle under it while you are unhooking/ getting bump board ready etc... I see so many guys on the water with fish in the net and watching the net handle flopping all over and the fish about getting away..simple..easy!
can be seen in this pic

Good tip! I was looking for something to solve this problem when I fish alone and this looks like it will work properly.
andy van slett
Posted 2/10/2016 12:06 PM (#804093 - in reply to #803640)

Anyone else try the FG knot yet? I tried it with 130lb fluro and 80lb power pro and had mixed results. some held well and some started to slip. Any thoughts on if adding epoxy to the finished know would cause more harm then good?
jonnysled
Posted 2/10/2016 12:11 PM (#804094 - in reply to #804093)

I don't use the FG for heavy fluoro ... there may be better choices for that.
ajrod88
Posted 2/10/2016 12:40 PM (#804098 - in reply to #803912)

Born - 2/9/2016 8:09 PM

Great thread. I have learned a lot.

I fish alone a lot and have found the yoke of my net fits perfectly wedged into my boat cleat, holding the net securely leaving me free to get tools and camera ready.
My camera has a custom delayed timer. I can set it up to take as many photos as I want with however many seconds delay I need. I have it set for five photos with a ten second delay. The camera mounts to a flexible arm camera mount.

What camera are you using, that has those timer settings?
Born
Posted 2/10/2016 4:30 PM (#804134 - in reply to #803640)

Cannon power shot. I have had it for 8 years.
BNelson
Posted 2/10/2016 4:49 PM (#804140 - in reply to #803640)

fishing solo my samsung phone has voice mode that you simply say "capture" and it takes the pic. No more self timer camera ever needed....

Edited by BNelson 2/10/2016 5:19 PM
Will Schultz
Posted 2/11/2016 11:03 AM (#804217 - in reply to #804140)

BNelson - 2/10/2016 5:49 PM fishing solo my samsung phone has voice mode that you simply say "capture" and it takes the pic. No more self timer camera ever needed....

Love that feature, I've had poor results in wind though.

BNelson
Posted 2/11/2016 11:03 AM (#804218 - in reply to #804217)

yah, You really gotta yell it in wind !
dfkiii
Posted 2/11/2016 11:27 AM (#804224 - in reply to #803890)

horsehunter - 2/9/2016 4:58 PM
You can also take a 6 inch piece of weed whacker line and knot it in the top swivel of a leader with 3 inches hanging out each side it will keep your lure weed free for a long time.

Now there's one I'll be using this year. D@mn weeds !
14ledo81
Posted 2/11/2016 11:32 AM (#804228 - in reply to #804217)

Will Schultz - 2/11/2016 11:03 AM

BNelson - 2/10/2016 5:49 PM fishing solo my samsung phone has voice mode that you simply say "capture" and it takes the pic. No more self timer camera ever needed....

I downloaded an app on my phone this summer. A whistle would trigger the camera. A few weeks later, I caught a PB. I was so amped up (and breathing heavy), I could not whistle.....

I had to flag down a passing boat to take a pic for me.
CiscoKid
Posted 2/11/2016 11:51 AM (#804233 - in reply to #803640)

Use either wooden or solid plastic jointed cranks with metal lips to convert into countdown baits. A lot of countdown cranks have little action on a slow retrieve. Take a jointed one, add drill a hole(s) in belly, and fill with lead to make it a sinker. Then bend the metal lip down to achieve the desired action. Between the metal lip and the joint you now have a countdown crank with good action without needing to reel it fast or jerk it.

Can also be done with straight cranks for a different action.

Caution: Too much lead will lead to a dead crank no matter how far you bend that lip!

Another way that is simple but often overlooked is to buy the double line-tie metal lips and put on a crank like a Ciscokid. Run the lure in the line tie closest to the end of lip (shallow setting). The lip usually turns the bait into a sinker, and gets you some pretty crazy action.
Pointerpride102
Posted 2/11/2016 11:54 AM (#804235 - in reply to #804217)

Will Schultz - 2/11/2016 11:03 AM

This would never work for me. I dont know what fishing without the wind howling is like, I've never experienced it.
twelts
Posted 2/13/2016 11:53 AM (#804603 - in reply to #804224)

You can also use rubber bands tied to your line. rubber bands will go through eyes and do no damage
horsehunter
Posted 2/13/2016 12:15 PM (#804608 - in reply to #804224)

dfkiii - 2/11/2016 12:27 PM

horsehunter - 2/9/2016 4:58 PM
You can also take a 6 inch piece of weed whacker line and knot it in the top swivel of a leader with 3 inches hanging out each side it will keep your lure weed free for a long time.

Now there's one I'll be using this year. D@mn weeds !

I do this with a 5 foot trolling leader never tried it casting didn't think guys from Wisconsin trolled
ESOX Maniac
Posted 2/14/2016 8:08 AM (#804725 - in reply to #804009)

Agree- 100%.

Best tip from Howie Meyer: Eliminate hardware failures: cheap anything usually bites, big time-> rods, reels, hooks, snaps, swivels, split rings, lines, leaders, lures...I change out a lot of hooks and split rings on lures, some of the higher quality stuff I don't touch, except to T the hooks (Beaver Slivinski) or pinch down the barbs or maybe upgrade the hooks.

Here's one of mine: If you troll a propwash lure you can get it down to the rear deck level close to the motor and center of the booat with a saltwater outrigger clip....they cost more, but are worth it. The clip lanyard attaches to the boat, and the rod is up at ~45 deg angle. When the fish hits the rod loads up and the clip releases setting the hooks same as down rigger rodd. The boat hull pushes loose weeds away so rear transom and prop wash is relatively weed free. My prop wash or flatline hardly ever foul with weeds. Its also the most productive for actual hook ups and fish in the boat. Of course ESOX Maniac is in hibernation. I'll post a photo of the clip and a description next week...to much going on next 5 days..

One from Eric Larsen "Muskie E" seminar at last years Wausau Show: To stop bucktails from rolling, if they have enough front shaft that is bare, bend ~1-2" on front shaft and line attachment up at 45 degree angle. The 45 deg angle & length of shaft bent up will make it behave like a keel wieghted spinner....no rolling! You shouldn't even need a swivel...(eliminate potential hardware failure or unneccessary hardware). Same profile and fish attraction....as a straight shaft bucktail.

Have fun!
Al
ARmuskyaddict
Posted 2/14/2016 8:42 AM (#804731 - in reply to #804725)

Make sure your snap is closed before casting...
TTS
Posted 2/14/2016 10:00 AM (#804749 - in reply to #803640)

For both trolling and fishing with suckers, I've been tying a Stay-loc snap onto my main line and attaching my trolling and sucker leaders to it. When I want to add weight, I simply open the snap and slide a bell sinker on to it. The sinker also works good for catching weeds when trolling. Tom
Reef Hawg
Posted 2/15/2016 11:36 AM (#804901 - in reply to #803640)

As a followup, I tied the FG knot for my first time this weekend before heading to an ice fishing tournament Saturday. I was using 10lb Suffix Braid with 8lb floro leader for walleye jigging on the flowage. I had some difficulty tying with these lighter lines, though after about 4 tries, went to 26 wraps instead of 20, and it held fine. I'm thinking this knot isn't as suited for the light lines, as the wraps might not be 'stacking' as they should. I tie alot of leaders with 6-20lb smooth(suffix 832 or nanofil) braid to 4-10lb leaders for winter through summer panfish bass and walleye jigging and rigging. I have used the J knot sitorically though it can prove difficult to tie in the boat. Do you guys suggest a knot for these line calibers for out in the boat? Stick with the FG, and just get better at it?

8 year old daughter did get second place cash prize Saturday on a dead-stick rig with the FG. She was excited to tell grandpa, though not as excited to share the cash with dad..

Edited by Reef Hawg 2/15/2016 11:42 AM
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)