Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Newbie.

Message Subject: Newbie.
huntercash58
Posted 1/30/2016 9:50 AM (#802061)
Subject: Newbie.

Just wanted to say hello to all. I'm from Tennessee close to Knoxville area. I'm new to Musky fishing, but an old school guy(I'm 58) to bow hunting whitetail and some bass fishing as well. The main lake I'm going to be trying my luck at this mighty fish is not far from where I live. Melton Hill Lake close to Oak Ridge Tn. There are some really nice fish in this lake with 45 to 48 inch fish taken on a regular basis. A friend of mine who works as a guide on this lake tells me he has seen several Musky over 50 inches over the years and last year caught and released a 51 inch monster.
If I ask some stupid questions bear with me. we all gotta start somewhere.
Thanks.
Espy
Posted 1/30/2016 9:58 AM (#802065 - in reply to #802061)
Subject: Re: Newbie.

Welcome to the site!
huntercash58
Posted 1/30/2016 10:02 AM (#802066 - in reply to #802065)

Thanks. Looking forward to being on here.
timhutson1
Posted 1/30/2016 10:03 AM (#802067 - in reply to #802061)
Subject: RE: Newbie.

Welcome. I think you will find lots of helpful advice. Start using the search function to look back through the old treads, a great way to learn more and get answers to your questions. If that doesn't answer what you want to know then post a new thread, most people on here are very honest and helpful.
fishhawk50
Posted 1/30/2016 10:07 AM (#802068 - in reply to #802061)

huntercash58 - 1/30/2016 9:50 AM

Just wanted to say hello to all. I'm from Tennessee close to Knoxville area. I'm new to Musky fishing, but an old school guy(I'm 58) to bow hunting whitetail and some bass fishing as well. The main lake I'm going to be trying my luck at this mighty fish is not far from where I live. Melton Hill Lake close to Oak Ridge Tn. There are some really nice fish in this lake with 45 to 48 inch fish taken on a regular basis. A friend of mine who works as a guide on this lake tells me he has seen several Musky over 50 inches over the years and last year caught and released a 51 inch monster.
If I ask some stupid questions bear with me. we all gotta start somewhere.
Thanks.

do you happen to get The Musky Hunter tv show down there? they were on melton hill today.
huntercash58
Posted 1/30/2016 10:18 AM (#802072 - in reply to #802061)

Yes I do. In fact my friend who I mentioned has a segment on that that show today. He's a guide on Melton Hill. Cory Allen is his name. Clients have had great success with him, of course all fish caught are weighed and measured and then released, but yes, Melton Hill lake here in Tennessee is the lake mentioned in the show.
horsehunter
Posted 1/30/2016 10:26 AM (#802074 - in reply to #802061)

Watched that show last night some nice looking fish. The best advice I can give you is turn around slowly and run like hell before it's too late. It's a sickness I tell you, and the cure is expensive and not covered by health care insurance.
huntercash58
Posted 1/30/2016 10:33 AM (#802075 - in reply to #802061)

Well, ToddM,
If I were buying with my budget, I'd use The Daiwa Saltist H-C probably the 30, or maybe a Daiwa Lexa 400, as far as gear ratio goes, I'd personally keep it middle of the road with a 6.3:1. I own an Okuma Citrix with that ratio. I also have a Penn Battle ll 3000 spinning setup that I use as well. In fact, speaking of the two I'm trying decide myself between the Saltist or the Lexa, before I choose, maybe someone could give me some advice between the two on which might be the better Musky reel. I'm gonna be throwing some double 10's but big swimbaits are what I'll be throwing for the most part.

Edited by huntercash58 1/30/2016 10:38 AM
huntercash58
Posted 1/30/2016 10:37 AM (#802076 - in reply to #802061)

HH
Thanks for the advice, I understand completely about being hooked on an expensive habit. Bow hunting ruled my world for years. Musky will probably be my demise, but what a way to go!!
Pointerpride102
Posted 1/30/2016 11:00 AM (#802078 - in reply to #802075)

huntercash58 - 1/30/2016 10:33 AM

Well, ToddM,
If I were buying with my budget, I'd use The Daiwa Saltist H-C probably the 30, or maybe a Daiwa Lexa 400, as far as gear ratio goes, I'd personally keep it middle of the road with a 6.3:1. I own an Okuma Citrix with that ratio. I also have a Penn Battle ll 3000 spinning setup that I use as well. In fact, speaking of the two I'm trying decide myself between the Saltist or the Lexa, before I choose, maybe someone could give me some advice between the two on which might be the better Musky reel. I'm gonna be throwing some double 10's but big swimbaits are what I'll be throwing for the most part.

Saltist 20. You'll be set.
tolle141
Posted 1/30/2016 11:24 AM (#802081 - in reply to #802061)

Going out with a guide (or your friend) a few times will save you years in learning. You also get to try out their gear.

As an owner of the Lexa 400 6.3:1, I'd get a Revo Toro S or beast first. The durability just isn't there on the first gen lexas. I can't speak for the HD series, but between my buddies and I we've had to send all of ours in at least once.
huntercash58
Posted 1/30/2016 11:33 AM (#802083 - in reply to #802061)

Thanks. Would the Daiwa Saltist be okay? It's a little easier on the pocket. I do have a question. Which Saltist comes with an auto clutch?
jerryb
Posted 1/30/2016 2:03 PM (#802090 - in reply to #802083)

Cory is a guy who really knows his stuff though he needs to work on his organizational skills ha ha. He sent me this picture after the show and rightly received some grief, tell him I said hello and wish him much success!
Careful with Todd he's usually up to no good.

Attachments
----------------
Attachments image.jpeg (63KB - 514 downloads)
Pointerpride102
Posted 1/30/2016 2:09 PM (#802092 - in reply to #802083)

huntercash58 - 1/30/2016 11:33 AM

Thanks. Would the Daiwa Saltist be okay? It's a little easier on the pocket. I do have a question. Which Saltist comes with an auto clutch?

Diawa Saltist 20, works great. Takes about 5 minutes to get used to the extra roughly quarter turn of the handle to engage the reel. I like it though, nearly impossible to engage the reel mid cast like you can do with other reels using a power handle. Really cranks the blades in too. Buy one, you won't regret it.
huntercash58
Posted 1/30/2016 3:40 PM (#802100 - in reply to #802061)

Pointer
Thanks. I'm seriously considering it.
huntercash58
Posted 1/30/2016 3:43 PM (#802102 - in reply to #802061)

Jerry B
I'll tell him. I'm also thinking of booking a day with him in Feb. I could use the experience to boost my knowledge.
North of 8
Posted 2/1/2016 2:59 PM (#802384 - in reply to #802102)

You came to the right place. I first fished for muskies back in the 1960s and 70s. After an almost 30 year absence, got back into it and things had changed dramatically. Some of it was equipment but more importantly was information available and willingness of participants to help others out. Back in the 1960s, you considered yourself very fortunate if someone with experience would give you advice. Now, with a board like this, you can take advantage of others experience and folks on here really do want to help. Not everyone will have the same opinion or experience but even that can be helpful.

As someone who is older than you, one piece of advice I would pass along is to stay in shape. Musky fishing involves long hours, with big rods, heavy lures, many of which take real effort to work properly. I have exercised and done weight training for many years but added a couple things when I started musky fishing again. If you do weight training, "hammer curls" which focus on your forearms are helpful and rotational exercises involving upper body and core are also good. A middle aged personal trainer at the YMCA told me that when he worked on the East coast, the guys that surf fished for stripers did a lot of work with a long handle on the cable machines to simulate handling those big surf rods and he felt that the same exercise would be good for musky guys as well. I normally add those in March.

Edited by North of 8 2/1/2016 4:33 PM
huntercash58
Posted 2/1/2016 6:10 PM (#802427 - in reply to #802061)

North of 8
Thanks for the advice, fortunately I used to work as a lineman. Climbing poles with hooks all day kept me in good shape. Granted It's been years since I've done that but I still work a fairly physical job. I've also played drums for years which helps on the forearms. Hopefully I can handle the work that will go into trying to catch this magnificent fish.
I'm still in a learning mode, done a ton of reading and starting to become familiar with gear and baits and what it takes to handle this type of fishing. I have bass fished but this is a whole different league.
I appreciate your advice and anytime you can give me some tips, bring it on.

Edited by huntercash58 2/1/2016 6:11 PM
North of 8
Posted 2/1/2016 6:14 PM (#802428 - in reply to #802427)

Sounds like you are all set. When I started, I was swimming three days a week and lifting two days a week but my forearms still weren't up to it. That was the one area I really had to work on.
huntercash58
Posted 2/3/2016 7:29 PM (#802897 - in reply to #802061)

Dang!! I'll probably be sore after cranking baits, but I figure I just gotta keep doing it. I'm going to be using an Okuma Citrix and a Daiwa Lexa 400. I also have a spinning set up, using a Penn Battle ll 3000. As far as rods. all three will handle up to 4oz. baits. I plan to go with a much heavier rod but just haven't found one within my budget as of yet. Hopefully these reels will handle the stress, now if only I can.
johnsonaaro2
Posted 2/4/2016 12:41 PM (#802973 - in reply to #802897)

Being a newbie myself, I would recommend checking out Tackle industries for rods.
can usually find them for 150 bucks shipped online.
I have 4 of them and love their 9' telescoping rods as they pack in and out of my car very easily.

the xh is rated for 2 to 8 ounces and the xxh is rated up to 16 ounces.

between those two you will be able to throw almost any bait out there.

James, The owner, is a great guy and their customer service is as good as it gets.

If you want to ask any questions you think might be dumb, send me a pm first, I probably asked it on here in the past year.
btfish
Posted 2/4/2016 3:05 PM (#802995 - in reply to #802973)

X 2 on what North of 8 recommends. Also buy your self about 6 or 8 squash balls. One for the (car, truck, throne, chair, work desk, etc ) Squeeze the heck out of it when you can and build up your hands, wrist & forearms. I have been at this game over 30 yrs and it gets even more important as time goes on but it works.

Hey have a good day
Musky952
Posted 2/4/2016 3:06 PM (#802996 - in reply to #802061)

you have made it to the right place. I am forever grateful to the friend that showed me this website. I was trying to learn everything on my own for a while and realized you just cant do it in an effective and timely manner. The people associated with this website forum are smart and very helpful. As someone said before, watch out for ToddM. He is a lil snake in the grass lol.
huntercash58
Posted 2/5/2016 7:54 PM (#803182 - in reply to #802061)

Gentlemen,
I appreciate all the great tips and advice. I've read articles and watched countless video's on gear, and I sure wish I could afford some of the best out there but it is what it is, as they say. I've found that there is a use for certain gear for certain situations.
It sort of reminds me of when I first got into bow hunting for whitetail deer many years ago. It was over whelming to say the least. What bow? which stand? aluminium arrows or carbon? what length? what diameter? what draw length? how much poundage? The list went on and on and it took me too many failures to mention before finally reaching success, but alas I was indeed eventually successful on a consistent basis.
I figure this won't be any different. Fortunately with the technology of the internet, it is easier to figure things out, but at the end of the day, it still boils down to putting a fish into the net, or just like putting a whitetail down it's much easier said than done.
At my age these days I'm just going to take it day by day, and soak it all in and have some fun and sometime in the future maybe I'll have one of those magnificent muskies in hand.
Keep the advice coming.
Jeremy
Posted 2/5/2016 8:24 PM (#803189 - in reply to #802061)

Welcome Michael!

35 yrs. ago I was new too. It took me a few seasons to boat that first guy. Be patient, things happen when you least expect it. Never take that bait out of the water right away when you reel in. Took me a long time to learn why. -- Slow learner!

Take your time, keep it ALL fun, learn a little each time out if you can - or not - but pay attention, it goes by quick!

Jeremy.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)