Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> G. Loomis Predator/Shortstix and Rio Muskie/Outbound Short?

Message Subject: G. Loomis Predator/Shortstix and Rio Muskie/Outbound Short?
Ruddiger
Posted 11/28/2015 8:47 PM (#794477)
Subject: G. Loomis Predator/Shortstix and Rio Muskie/Outbound Short?

Howdy,

I'm looking to get back into fly fishing for pike and muskies and have narrowed it down to a couple of options I could use some info on.

For rods, I'm considering the G. Loomis Pro4x Shortstix or the Pro4x Predator. For line I'm looking at the Rio Pike/Muskie line or the Outbound Short.

Does anyone have any experience with either of these rods and either of these lines? Specifically, which rod set up and which line set up would work best at casting the largest flies available for muskies.

In both instances there are some significant differences between the design of the rods and the heads of the lines. Unfortunately, there is a lack of good information available so any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Take care,

Ruddiger
Ben Olsen
Posted 11/28/2015 9:02 PM (#794478 - in reply to #794477)
Subject: Re: G. Loomis Predator/Shortstix and Rio Muskie/Outbound Short?

I threw the pro 4x short in 10/11. Great rod. I was skeptical about 7'6" but it cast extremely well! It was a little tough to 8 but I'm still young enough to bend a little further! I would recommend Scientific Anglers wet tip express in 450gr. The rio pike muskie is great for smaller less buoyant flies but it is intermediate and has a hard time pulling down large deer hair flies. The new rio in-touch pike/muskie looks interesting and has very little stretch. P.S. I threw the pro 4x for a Keyes Outdoors shoot...it will air sometime this winter.
Ruddiger
Posted 11/28/2015 9:24 PM (#794482 - in reply to #794478)

Howdy,

Ben, did you have any experience with the Predator rod?

Interestingly, I had a chance to speak with Steve Rajeff and he felt the Predator was the better way to go, however, when I spoke to Mark Sedotti he felt the Shortstix were a better option. Which only added to the confusion.

Both guys felt that being at the higher end of the rating spectrum for either rod in the series was the way to go, and both preferred the stiffest rod in each series which seemed like overkill but I assume they were thinking the more mass in the air the better.

Unfortunately, its almost impossible to find a line that weights more than 425-450 grains that also comes in a floating, intermediate and sink tip. So, while they preferred rods rated to throw lines weighing over 500 grains, I am at a loss for finding any.

Finally, while I certainly respect the expertise of both of these gentlemen I do wonder if their knowledge of muskie is more limited and based more on assumption and legend than practical application. Thus, the recommendation to use 12 weight models in both series.

Take care,

Ruddiger
Lucky Craft Man
Posted 11/29/2015 8:59 PM (#794599 - in reply to #794477)

I have fished for Musky using Rio Outbound Short (in 10wt), Rio Pike/Musky (in 11wt), and 500 grain. Here's not the answer you want, but each one works well for different applications. The 500 grain works grain when you want to get your streamer down, like on a lake or river with deep holes. The Outbound Short works well at a little more moderate depths and the Rio Pike/Musky works well on shallower applications (I know the Outbound Short and Pike/Musky lines are both intermediate, but the Outbound short seems to sink a little faster, so I use that for a little deeper presentation). If I were to just choose one, it would be the Outbound Short.
Ben Olsen
Posted 11/29/2015 11:53 PM (#794609 - in reply to #794477)

Rud...I played with the predator(long handle pro 4x) later in the season. I did not spend any time casting it. I have ordered 2 of them for next season. The most compelling feature for me is the two hand casting option. It's too bad SA discontinued the Wet tip express in 550. I have found it to be the best all around option. There are still some available online and I have been hoarding when I find it. In warm weather thru early fall the SA bluewater express is a good option. It seems counterintuitive but, the stiffer/heavier rods(overlined) require less effort to blind cast all day.
Ben Olsen
Posted 11/29/2015 11:56 PM (#794610 - in reply to #794477)

I should mention that I'm almost always water loading. This adds grains and helps load the rod with surface tension.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)