Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Question about "charters"

Message Subject: Question about "charters"
Nebraskies
Posted 11/24/2015 11:24 PM (#793941)
Subject: Question about "charters"

Hey everyone,

Now that the boats are winterized and we are in doors waiting to get back on the water I have been browsing the internet more that usual.

I was on youtube just looking at some muskie fishing videos and came across some "Mr. Muskie Charters" videos. It seems they mostly troll for their clients, but what surprised me was how they treated the fish...

In the first video I watched they were putting every muskie they caught in live well with multiple muskies in it. That doesn't seem really fair to the fish. That has to put some stress on them, right? I have always heard and practiced netting the fish, quick picture, and then release (CPR). Is this normal for guides/charters to do for their clients while trolling?  

I am relatively new still to the muskie fishing scene. Lemme know what all of you guys think. I will put a link to a video below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yd15jxA6b70

BigC
Posted 11/25/2015 6:40 AM (#793943 - in reply to #793941)
Subject: Re: Question about "charters"

Can't slow down on LSC when you're trying to go 18 / 32
tackleaddict
Posted 11/25/2015 7:10 AM (#793946 - in reply to #793943)

Those livewells are designed to run water through the fishes gills and revive them better than boatside. It works like a tuna tube. Ive heard people around here say they work really well, but Ive never used them so I cant speak for it. The thing you want to look out for IMO is the old timer opinion of it being best to rocket them down nose first without slowing down in order to "get them to deeper water". This never made sense to me and just seemed like an excuse to not slow down and revive the fish. Im no biologist though, these are just my assumptions.
moose50
Posted 11/26/2015 2:56 PM (#794138 - in reply to #793941)

The tanks do work exceptionally well for bringing the fish back to near full strength. Actually to the point that they can be dangerous to handle if not ready for an explosion when you reach down to grab the fish under the jaw. They trick you by just floating in there relaxing and looking to be as happpy as can be taking in all the oxygenated water. I have witnessed blood spilled more than a few times. Sweet revenge, you can see it in their eyes!
Zib
Posted 11/26/2015 10:34 PM (#794260 - in reply to #793941)
Subject: RE: Question about "charters"

The live wells that the trollers on LSC use are more beneficial for the fish's revival that putting them over the side of the boat. Time is money for the charter captains so they don't slow down to revive the fish on the side of the boat so the live wells are a must. Prior to guys using them there were more floaters on the lake. The tourney guys also use the live wells to run the fish in to be weight.

10KCasts
Posted 12/1/2015 1:23 PM (#794755 - in reply to #793941)

I love them and am thinking of putting one in my boat just for normal everyday fishing. Here are the benefits I see. The fish revive really well with them. They allow you to get back up to trolling speed as soon as the fish is netted, or when casting, your boat partner can be right back in the water while you mess around with unhooking. A tank in the boat is a better work space than leaning over the boat side with a gunwale and rod holder compressing your ribs. They reduce all the turning and rotating during thrashing. Finally, if you catch a monster, you can safely take lots of pictures and measurements. Plus, it would not impact the layout or fishability of my boat. I just have to remove that folding seat that never gets used as a seat.

Brian
5th lake Brad
Posted 12/1/2015 2:24 PM (#794763 - in reply to #793941)

Wouldn't putting a fish in the live well count against a daily bag limit? I understand the benefits clearly ,but would the DNR see it that way?
Will Schultz
Posted 12/1/2015 3:16 PM (#794767 - in reply to #794763)

5th lake Brad - 12/1/2015 3:24 PM Wouldn't putting a fish in the live well count against a daily bag limit? I understand the benefits clearly ,but would the DNR see it that way?

It would be up to the discretion of the officer and how they view the intent. However, if the person can't legally keep a fish (conservation license in CN or no tag here in MI) they better not have that fish on board.

esoxaddict
Posted 12/1/2015 3:35 PM (#794769 - in reply to #794763)

5th lake Brad - 12/1/2015 2:24 PM

Wouldn't putting a fish in the live well count against a daily bag limit? I understand the benefits clearly ,but would the DNR see it that way?

I would expect that most CO's would cut you a break if you explained you were reviving the fish, but yes. I'd be leary especially if it was not a legal fish.
Nershi
Posted 12/1/2015 5:35 PM (#794778 - in reply to #794767)

Will Schultz - 12/1/2015 3:16 PM

5th lake Brad - 12/1/2015 3:24 PM Wouldn't putting a fish in the live well count against a daily bag limit? I understand the benefits clearly ,but would the DNR see it that way?

It would be up to the discretion of the officer and how they view the intent. However, if the person can't legally keep a fish (conservation license in CN or no tag here in MI) they better not have that fish on board.

I was under the impression that you can remove a fish from the water to take a few pics with a conservation license in canada. There was a discussion on this board about it. Even without a conservation license several states and canada have minimum size limits and those fish below legal get there picture taken all the time. I could see a CO looking at it differently if it was in a live well but I don't think there would be too many that would ticket you for a couple quick pics and a bump.
Will Schultz
Posted 12/2/2015 11:15 AM (#794859 - in reply to #794778)

Nershi - 12/1/2015 6:35 PM
Will Schultz - 12/1/2015 3:16 PM

I was under the impression that you can remove a fish from the water to take a few pics with a conservation license in canada. There was a discussion on this board about it. Even without a conservation license several states and canada have minimum size limits and those fish below legal get there picture taken all the time. I could see a CO looking at it differently if it was in a live well but I don't think there would be too many that would ticket you for a couple quick pics and a bump.

That is correct, by "on board" I was talking about having it in a livewell. Most law enforcement and regulations want to see catch and immediate release for those without the correct license to harvest, this can include being netted and held in the net for unhooking, holding for a quick photo but wouldn't include putting it in a livewell.

Nershi
Posted 12/2/2015 1:02 PM (#794872 - in reply to #793941)

Okay I assumed you meant having the fish out of the water and in the boat for a pic when you said 'on board'.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)