Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Recon vs Tuffy

Reply New post
Message Subject: Recon vs Tuffy
mecoltin123
Posted 11/21/2015 6:34 PM (#793511)
Subject: Recon vs Tuffy

Hi guys, I'm looking at boats for the spring. I'm in a 17ft glass bass boat currently. I took a job down in central IL and would like a boat that has a Kicker for the HP restrictions down here. I have minimal experience with Tuffy and none with Recon, but I really like the layouts of both for musky fishing. Anyone on here care chime in with some pro's or con's of either brand? I'm looking at 17 foot deep V models because some of my favorite bodies of water in the UP near my cottage have less than desirable launches. I'd consider 19 ft models, but I don't want to sacrifice all of my skinny water abilities I have in my bass boat. How well would these boats handle water such as LSC or LOTW for once a year trips? Also, would an 8 hp kicker be enough or go 9.9? Any insight towards this topic would be greatly appreciated, big purchase for me and I'd love to get as many opinions as I can from people with experience.

Thanks
PSAGuy
Posted 11/21/2015 7:00 PM (#793512 - in reply to #793511)
Subject: RE: Recon vs Tuffy

I'd say "why a kicker" ? unless you are a trolling nut and will use that kicker every day.
A kicker is really useful on LOW as a backup if you are 20 miles from camp and the big motor konks out. But for a once a year trip, or the reservoirs around central Illinois this is not a huge issue.....I'd buy a good marine radio for $400 for those breakdown situations, and be done with it. (and save 2 grand)
Again tho....if you are a big time troller year around, I'd say then your kicker is a huge deal and buy the 9.9

mecoltin123
Posted 11/21/2015 7:26 PM (#793516 - in reply to #793511)
Subject: Re: Recon vs Tuffy

I'm not worried about a backup engine. I need a 9.9hp motor or less on most of the musky lakes around me. That's the main concern there. Lake Mingo, Spring Lake, Banner Marsh, and Evergreen are all lakes I frequent. I can't run a 150hp on any of those lakes.
PSAGuy
Posted 11/21/2015 8:08 PM (#793517 - in reply to #793516)

OH !! That's a VERY good reason then. I missed that in your first post.
You'll use it a lot then.....go with the 9.9 then IMO. That 9.9 pushes the big rigs all the time so it will give you plenty to get around.

Good luck !
achotrod
Posted 11/22/2015 12:43 PM (#793584 - in reply to #793511)

A guide up here(northern IL) uses a 19ft Recon and its a awesome boat, from looks to functionality and I see him get pretty shallow in it. Pretty Sure Joe Bucher uses the same boat. If I could afford one that would be the boat. Do those HP restricted lakes allow a big motor on the boat? I know some of them wont even let you on the lake with a big motor even trimmed up.
sworrall
Posted 11/22/2015 12:58 PM (#793585 - in reply to #793511)

The Tuffy 1890 is the boat you would compare. Floats in a foot of water, will handle anything you put it into. Set up for a kicker, and offered in 6 console models. It will run very well with a 115, and hauls arse with a 200.
Pointerpride102
Posted 11/22/2015 2:17 PM (#793595 - in reply to #793585)

I've only run into one access that I couldn't launch my 1890 in, and it isn't what is normally considered a bad launch. But this year it was extremely shallow and very sandy. I also only have a jeep as my toe vehicle so I don't have as much length as a truck.

Love the boat and it can handle any inland water.
NickD
Posted 11/22/2015 2:23 PM (#793597 - in reply to #793585)

The 17'ers are close to a wash stats wise. Tuffy has been around longer and you have the very nice option of going with the g-series with the Tuffy.

Comparing the Tuffy 1890 and 985 is a little more interesting. If you have 9+ foot rods the recon locker will actually hold them. The consoles also have pass through so for keeping rods down and out of the way while fishing. Once again though the g-series option scores extra points. I have really enjoyed both of mine. The rod locker is advertised as 9' but I can't fit my 8'4" jerk bait in my 1890. The box opening is too short for the extra long handle.

Both are great regionally built options with Tuffy being the larger company. I had a Tuffy 1760 and upgraded to an 1890. I haven't fished a lake where I could launch the 1760 and not the 1890..... Something to keep in mind. A 19' class 8' beam boat has a LOT more room than a 17.5' class 7' beam boat.
Jeff Hanson
Posted 11/23/2015 6:10 PM (#793795 - in reply to #793597)

I have a 2015 Tuffy 1890GT I can fit 4- 9' rods in my rod locker in the top row no problem and 4- 8'6" in the second row. I've had 3 of these boats and been able to store 9' rods in the rod locker in all of them.
I can launch and fish this boat in very shallow water no problem.
Best musky boat I have fished from.
Jeff Hanson
madisonmuskyguide.com

Edited by Jeff Hanson 11/23/2015 6:11 PM
Muskybob1976
Posted 11/24/2015 11:26 AM (#793862 - in reply to #793511)

We have been a Tuffy boat family since I can remember from my dad, brother, and myself. But next year I'm buying a Recon 985. The way it handles in 3 to 4 foot waves is nothing less than amazing. You may not think the 3 inch beam difference is a lot, but it is. Before deciding on the Recon I test drove both the 985 Recon and the Tuffy 1890. Although the Tuffy is a nice boat the Recon is just rides better and is more stable. Not to mention Recon boats have a lifetime hull warranty vs. Tuffy 5 year hull warranty.
Oh the gap between the console and the boat is so you can lay your 9' rods on the front deck.
As I said nothing against Tuffy, we've been a Tuffy boat family since 1984.
sworrall
Posted 11/25/2015 8:58 AM (#793952 - in reply to #793862)

Muskybob1976 - 11/24/2015 11:26 AM

We have been a Tuffy boat family since I can remember from my dad, brother, and myself. But next year I'm buying a Recon 985. The way it handles in 3 to 4 foot waves is nothing less than amazing. You may not think the 3 inch beam difference is a lot, but it is. Before deciding on the Recon I test drove both the 985 Recon and the Tuffy 1890. Although the Tuffy is a nice boat the Recon is just rides better and is more stable. Not to mention Recon boats have a lifetime hull warranty vs. Tuffy 5 year hull warranty.
Oh the gap between the console and the boat is so you can lay your 9' rods on the front deck.
As I said nothing against Tuffy, we've been a Tuffy boat family since 1984.

Define 'rides better'. I have been in both.

The 985 is a 19.5' boat, the 1890 is an 18'9" boat. Compare the 2100 to the 985 and you are closer to apples/apples. There's also the 2060, a proven excellent big water ride. Yes. it has a 90" beam. Hit the water with your palm. Then karate chop it with the side of your hand. And that with proven stability at rest.

Ride and stability are not determined by beam, it's wetted surface, hull design, and more. Both boats handle big water well. I'd really argue the 'stability' claim, the boats are very comparable there; check the width at the chines and hull design on both.

You also need to look into how Fiberdome handles their Tuffy hull warranty, and what a 'structural defect' warranty is and what that really means with a FRP boat. 'Lifetime' warranties are fine if the company is still in business years from now; Fiberdome, Inc, Tuffy Boat's parent company, has been in business for over 40 years and is the most diversified regional manufacturer in the Midwest.
mecoltin123
Posted 11/27/2015 9:00 PM (#794391 - in reply to #793511)

Thanks for all the help guys. I appreciate the input. I'm going to try and get out for a day with a guide in a 985 and see how I like it before I make any quick decisions. First expensive boat purchase for me and now that I can finally afford pulling the trigger on a nice rig I wana make sure I get exactly what I want. Will an 8hp kicker be enough on the 17 ft class of boats? Lake Mingo is one of my favorite lakes and they have a 9.5HP max(weird I know). I can have a larger outboard it just has to be trimmed up. I don't know how strict they'd get on that extra .4 of a horse though.
achotrod
Posted 11/28/2015 11:19 AM (#794421 - in reply to #793511)

T-bone guide service aka Chris Taurisano on the Fox Chain has the Recon with a 200 Rude and a 9.9 kicker if your looking to get out on one.
peedenmark7
Posted 8/4/2017 5:12 PM (#873080 - in reply to #793862)

Not to resurrect an old topic, but after having this very same discussion with a friend yesterday, what good is a warranty if you end up having to use it ?
Nobody pays for your down time do they ?

I have a good friend who guides and went through a nightmare warranty and lawsuit against Ranger and Mercury a few years back... Nothing like having a good warranty ,when dealing with a boat company in receivership.
Lifetime means nothing, just look at St Croix Rods change in policy over the years.
If you don't cheapen up the product or don't mass flood the market with your wares, a lifetime warranty is non issue , correct ?

The bottom line for most boat buyers comes down to price, as few shoppers ever compare apples to apples anyway.

Would I like to a new Tuffy Esox Mag ?
Of course, but when mine is fine and there is no shortage of older ones, why spend 30K+ for one, when another nice older one is out there to be had for well under a third of that ?

Case in point:
I paid $5k for my beloved "special order" '87 Esox Ltd in 2000, it came from ILL and the original owner put a good OMC motor on it rather than the guy that typically spent large for the boat then cheaped out with a Force or Mariner back in the day.
Though the previous owner and I took extreme care of it, the boat eventually needed to be re-floored a couple years ago. Unfortunately I waited too long as about the time I finally decided to take Tuffy up on doing it, they decided that they no longer wanted to fix Glasways short comings, which I get as boat companies are in business to sell NEW boats NOT fix old ones.

My boat was repaired by a former employee and I am still pleased 3 years later.

I've read an awful lot of Ranger V. Tuffy articles here and find them comical at best
because there is no Ranger boat made now or then that can compete with an Esox Mag or Ltd. , much less a 154 , Roustabout, Bassabout , Rogue [for the old timers] in performance or price.

As for the build, Ranger has been in bankruptcy [once-twice?] and builds how many times the boats a year that Tuffy does. So tell me who really has the upper hand on quality control ? Last I heard there are 3 guys assembling at Fiberdome.
How many guys are building the endless supply of Rangers ?

If you like Ranger, no digs, obviously they are doing something right other than marketing. The resale is fantastic, so how can you lose ?

My only complaint with Tuffy today, is the Gunwale and transom corner molding is crap black plastic rather than the aluminum it used to be. Plastic is UV unstable, aluminum lasts forever. It is a structural and cosmetic downgrade that I can't accept.
I like the idea of the newer one piece drop in floor , but fiberglassed foam does not appeal to me over marine plywood that is glassed on both sides.. Foam is stronger than plywood ? Not a chance....

My Esox turned 30 this summer and looks at the most a few years old, The new floor is glassed both sides, which Glasway should have done from the start, rather than brushing on a coat of polyurethane on the undersides.
My transom is solid, it's a clean boat , so why pay 30 grand?

Other than that and the obvious cost cutting measures that ALL makers take these days, I"ll take a Fiberdome built Tuffy over any glass boat on the water.
Hell, aren't they using Kevlar in the hulls or has that gone away already ?

Bottom line is every fisherman's needs and tastes are very different and once you get away from the Esox and Roustabout hull , all dynamics change, but I'd still take a big water Tuffy over the competition.

Then again, any commentary is totally subjective, and most could careless about that little Lake Mills Boat Co anyway

Musky Brian
Posted 8/4/2017 5:28 PM (#873082 - in reply to #873080)

Sounds good....

I'll take the Ranger :-D
peedenmark7
Posted 8/4/2017 5:32 PM (#873083 - in reply to #793511)

To each their own
sworrall
Posted 8/5/2017 9:59 AM (#873135 - in reply to #873080)

Yes, Tuffy is still using Kevlar. See the highlighted material for corrections. Good boat, sort of the heavy utility ride of the industry, not as much bling but tough as nails. If you want luxury and status, by all means, buy it! If you are looking for a good looking, tough, well built ride with a strong company behind it, take a gander at the Tuffy.

peedenmark7 - 8/4/2017 5:12 PM

Not to resurrect an old topic, but after having this very same discussion with a friend yesterday, what good is a warranty if you end up having to use it ?
Nobody pays for your down time do they ?

I have a good friend who guides and went through a nightmare warranty and lawsuit against Ranger and Mercury a few years back... Nothing like having a good warranty ,when dealing with a boat company in receivership.
Lifetime means nothing, just look at St Croix Rods change in policy over the years.
If you don't cheapen up the product or don't mass flood the market with your wares, a lifetime warranty is non issue , correct ?

The bottom line for most boat buyers comes down to price, as few shoppers ever compare apples to apples anyway.

Would I like to a new Tuffy Esox Mag ?
Of course, but when mine is fine and there is no shortage of older ones, why spend 30K+ for one, when another nice older one is out there to be had for well under a third of that ?

Case in point:
I paid $5k for my beloved "special order" '87 Esox Ltd in 2000, it came from ILL and the original owner put a good OMC motor on it rather than the guy that typically spent large for the boat then cheaped out with a Force or Mariner back in the day.
Though the previous owner and I took extreme care of it, the boat eventually needed to be re-floored a couple years ago. Unfortunately I waited too long as about the time I finally decided to take Tuffy up on doing it, they decided that they no longer wanted to fix Glasways short comings, which I get as boat companies are in business to sell NEW boats NOT fix old ones.

My boat was repaired by a former employee and I am still pleased 3 years later.

I've read an awful lot of Ranger V. Tuffy articles here and find them comical at best
because there is no Ranger boat made now or then that can compete with an Esox Mag or Ltd. , much less a 154 , Roustabout, Bassabout , Rogue [for the old timers] in performance or price.

As for the build, Ranger has been in bankruptcy [once-twice?] and builds how many times the boats a year that Tuffy does. So tell me who really has the upper hand on quality control ? Last I heard there are 3 guys assembling at Fiberdome.
How many guys are building the endless supply of Rangers ?

If you like Ranger, no digs, obviously they are doing something right other than marketing. The resale is fantastic, so how can you lose ?

My only complaint with Tuffy today, is the Gunwale and transom corner molding is crap black plastic rather than the aluminum it used to be. (the gunnel material is a nylon composite, not plastic, and is UV stable. We tested it for a year, and left a piece in the driveway getting run over through summer and winter, and it cleaned up and was in great shape. No issues with it in two decades. The aluminum gunnel was and is no longer available, as in Tuffy couldn't buy get what they needed anymore) Plastic is UV unstable, aluminum lasts forever. It is a structural and cosmetic downgrade that I can't accept. (It was more expensive, not less, and structurally is as strong and far more impact resistant than aluminum)
I like the idea of the newer one piece drop in floor( not a one piece floor, it is the deck, side tanks, and spalshwell in one composite piece) , but fiberglassed foam does not appeal to me over marine plywood that is glassed on both sides ( there was no 'marine plywood' in any of the older Tuffy boats, just plain construction grade ply. The composite flooring is a fiberglass/composite grid structure with thousands of glass core structures, is many times stronger that plywood, and will last forever).. Foam is stronger than plywood ? Not a chance....(learn more about composites, incredibly strong and last forever)

My Esox turned 30 this summer and looks at the most a few years old, The new floor is glassed both sides, which Glasway should have done from the start (the floor in that boat was shot with resin on both sides, was not 'glassed on both sides'. The chopped strand that sealed the seams was the only fiber on the floor, which is what all boat builders were doing at the time) never was polyurethane used), rather than brushing on a coat of polyurethane on the undersides.
My transom is solid, it's a clean boat , so why pay 30 grand?

Other than that and the obvious cost cutting measures that ALL makers take these days, I"ll take a Fiberdome built Tuffy over any glass boat on the water. ( Fiberdome uses MUCH more expensive processes now than at any time in the past. Instead of 'cost cutting', they implemented a far more costly laminate structure, comptuer driven electrical system, the finest resins and gel coat, far better seating, the best carpet available, etc.)
Hell, aren't they using Kevlar in the hulls or has that gone away already ?

Bottom line is every fisherman's needs and tastes are very different and once you get away from the Esox and Roustabout hull , all dynamics change, but I'd still take a big water Tuffy over the competition.

Then again, any commentary is totally subjective, and most could careless about that little Lake Mills Boat Co anyway

(Fiberdome uses more resin in a week than most boat builders will use in a month or more. Tuffy Boat's parent company is not even close to 'little', it's grown like mad since Glasway went out of business and Fiberdome bought the company. The locker room for Fiberdome takes up the entire manufacturing area Glasway had.

Stop at a McDonalds, lately? All the new rain shields, store fronts, etc were probably made in Lake Mills. The MATV, replacement for the Hum Vee? Fiberdome probably built the front clip. Het Tank carrier too. Tuffy is Fiberdome's marketing arm, and they don't want to be any bigger than they are)

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(Untitled.png)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Untitled.png (513KB - 425 downloads)
25homes
Posted 8/5/2017 2:22 PM (#873160 - in reply to #873135)

8hp kicker should be absolutely fine on that boat...I had an old 6hp Ted williams junk and would push my 18ft fiberglass about 5mph...newr 8hp should get you 8-10mph out of that boat should be fine
jonnysled
Posted 8/5/2017 3:47 PM (#873168 - in reply to #873160)

Looked hard at the 985 last year and decided to stay in my old one ... not enough to win me over. I'd still go used over new believing they all haven't improved enough to be a best choice option vs. what can be bought.
peedenmark7
Posted 8/5/2017 4:34 PM (#873173 - in reply to #793511)

Steve,
Terminology mistake on the drop in floor, I do know it is a one piece inner with tanks floor etc.
I just dont care for that black molding, have seen plenty of them damaged where alum would not. Odd they cant get that anymore, one would think if you are willing to pay to have something made , the availability is moot.
Still , if my choice is not fishing in a Tuffy or fishing another brand, I'm done boating.

My new floor has glass mat on the bottom along with resin over the marine ply, should last my lifetime anyway.
Paul S
Posted 8/5/2017 5:23 PM (#873178 - in reply to #873135)

sworrall - 8/5/2017 9:59 AM

<p>Yes, Tuffy is still using Kevlar. See the highlighted material for corrections. Good boat, sort of the heavy utility ride of the industry, not as much bling but tough as nails. If you want luxury and status, by all means, buy it! If you are looking for a good looking, tough, well built ride with a strong company behind it, take a gander at the Tuffy.>

When I bought my Tuffy I didn't think too much about the Kevlar and tough hull but this is the absolute truth. I talked to a buddy who had an incident with his Tuffy and he was amazed how strong the hull was. I completely agree with what Steve says here. There are a lot of other boats that are more luxurious in terms of carpeting and latches but a Tuffy has a beautiful finish and a very strong hull which is lighter than most comparably sized boats.
peedenmark7
Posted 8/5/2017 5:30 PM (#873179 - in reply to #793511)

MY first experience in a tuffy was my buddies 88 bass about.. I loved it so much I went through a bunch of that hull design over the years. If you look hard enough you will see my wanted to buy ads from years ago searching for one.. Found a garage queen Bass about 3 years ago and it's been my second boat ever since.
Main boat is an Esox Ltd. , I love the open deck and uncluttered "work area"

I just dont get these dual console boats where you can't work a fish around thew boat, but as I said earlier , to each his own..
I will run a Tuffy as long as I am alive.
Paul S
Posted 8/5/2017 6:44 PM (#873184 - in reply to #873179)

I just dont get these dual console boats where you can't work a fish around thew boat, but as I said earlier , to each his own..
I will run a Tuffy as long as I am alive.

Interesting you say this. I just took the passenger console out of my X-190 today. Think I am going to really enjoy the extra room considering I fish by myself 75% of the time.

Edited by Paul S 8/5/2017 6:45 PM
peedenmark7
Posted 8/5/2017 7:16 PM (#873186 - in reply to #793511)

I think if there was a way for people outside of WI, ILL, MN and MI to try a Tuffy Esox Mag 1st hand, I have no doubt in my mind they would never fish another boat for inland waters.. My boat is an Esox Ltd, or as others now it the original Marauder so it is not the larger Mag boat, but even in mine I can walk a fish 360 around the boat UNOBSTRUCTED if need be.
Bass, walleye, musky, whatever...
LOVE IT !
BNelson
Posted 8/7/2017 10:38 AM (#873326 - in reply to #793511)

hey now, I have a Ranger... and I own a Tuffy Esox Ltd. too.. so can I put both stickers on my truck? lol
Rangers are the best of the best, there is no doubt about it. I've been in enough tuffys and Rangers to see and feel the quality difference.. is it "worth" the extra $. that is for each buyer to decide. I'm always looking for a good Esox Mag and will get one some day. great boat for smaller waters up to say 5k acres and not in 25mph winds... like anything you buy, decide your budget and what your must haves are and then go buy one...
Nothing wrong with Tuffys... are they a Ranger.. not imo but Tuffys are great boats too... in the end...the fish don't care what boat you're in.

Edited by BNelson 8/7/2017 10:38 AM
Paul S
Posted 8/7/2017 10:52 AM (#873329 - in reply to #873326)

BNelson - 8/7/2017 10:38 AM

hey now, I have a Ranger... and I own a Tuffy Esox Ltd. too.. so can I put both stickers on my truck? lol
Rangers are the best of the best, there is no doubt about it. I've been in enough tuffys and Rangers to see and feel the quality difference.. is it "worth" the extra $. that is for each buyer to decide. I'm always looking for a good Esox Mag and will get one some day. great boat for smaller waters up to say 5k acres and not in 25mph winds... like anything you buy, decide your budget and what your must haves are and then go buy one...
Nothing wrong with Tuffys... are they a Ranger.. not imo but Tuffys are great boats too... in the end...the fish don't care what boat you're in.

LOL- I was just responding to Brian's condescending post. Rangers are one of the best boats but I don't put them in their own tier. Legend and Basscats are right there with them in terms of quality in the bass boat world. Personally, I don't consider Tuffy and Ranger to be comparable brands at all. The refinement of the Ranger is light years ahead of a Tuffy. Quality of carpet, padded decks, stainless steel latches, upholstery, lid struts, lighting- it is all top of the line in the Ranger but you definitely pay for it. Is that worth it? It wasn't for me. You're right- the fish don't know the difference.
gregk9
Posted 8/7/2017 10:53 AM (#873330 - in reply to #873179)

peedenmark7 - 8/5/2017 5:30 PM

There's an opening there you can walk through.
Musky Brian
Posted 8/7/2017 11:00 AM (#873331 - in reply to #873329)

Paul S - 8/7/2017 10:52 AM

BNelson - 8/7/2017 10:38 AM

LOL- I was just responding to Brian's condescending post. Rangers are one of the best boats but I don't put them in their own tier. Legend and Basscats are right there with them in terms of quality in the bass boat world. Personally, I don't consider Tuffy and Ranger to be comparable brands at all. The refinement of the Ranger is light years ahead of a Tuffy. Quality of carpet, padded decks, stainless steel latches, upholstery, lid struts, lighting- it is all top of the line in the Ranger but you definitely pay for it. Is that worth it? It wasn't for me. You're right- the fish don't know the difference.

Oh...sounds like it is a bit more than carpeting and latches then?
Paul S
Posted 8/7/2017 11:15 AM (#873333 - in reply to #873331)

Musky Brian - 8/7/2017 11:00 AM

Oh...sounds like it is a bit more than carpeting and latches then?

So you need a comprehensive list to understand what makes one boat more luxurious than another?
Slamr
Posted 8/7/2017 11:28 AM (#873337 - in reply to #793511)

idea: reach out to each company, go through their pro-staff list and a guy on staff that can take you for a ride? It's a big purchase, might want to get a first hand feel for what you're buying.

I have a 1760, its a few years older, but it's the same hull and general layout if you want to find a time to actually be in it.
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)