Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> When to change size.

Message Subject: When to change size.
K9guy
Posted 11/20/2015 5:55 PM (#793392)
Subject: When to change size.

Under what conditions would you guys change to a size smaller or a size larger lure, but stay with the same color? Let's take a Manta for instance. When would you use the 8 inch Atomic Carp instead of the 10 inch Atomic Carp or vice versa? I just used the Manta bait as an example. I could have used larger or smaller Cowgirls as an example.
How would I make the decision and say to myself "they aren't biting this size but they will bite the same color but in a different size."
WiscoMusky
Posted 11/20/2015 6:05 PM (#793394 - in reply to #793392)
Subject: Re: When to change size.

There are dozens of scenarios where I would switch size, like cold fronts etc. here are a couple suggestions

if I had a fallow on the larger model bait, I may go back during major/minor and throw the same bait just in a smaller version. Sometimes, but not all the time.

if I had been fishing with one size for 45minutes without any follow I may go to another size.

But in terms of big picture, I generally use a smaller size bait in the spring, and larger during summer and fall periods. Particularly in the fall, I throw super mags and monster dussas almost exclusively

Edited by WiscoMusky 11/20/2015 6:23 PM
K9guy
Posted 11/20/2015 6:40 PM (#793406 - in reply to #793392)

Thanks WiscoMusky, I understand about smaller in spring and huge in the fall. I guess what I am trying to learn are the nuances of changing baits. Your tips about major/minor are very helpful.
Fishysam
Posted 11/20/2015 7:15 PM (#793410 - in reply to #793392)

I may be odd but if I have a lazy follow it normally gets changed two casts later for larger or smaller depending on size of fish that showed and seasonal mood/ relevant weather. If it's colder than the last 4 days smaller. If it's been warmer for three days bigger. 50" vs 42" where I fish I know the muskies are schooled up.

To let everyone know how crazy I am here is a scenario that happened twice this year. Fishing for over an hour on a break no fish. Put on a 9" suick and the first five casts showed me 3 fish from 42-45". I didn't make the sixth cast. I switched out to a third bait in the 7" range, 5 minutes later I ran into a 55ish that got off boat side while trying to solo net it.
ToddM
Posted 11/20/2015 7:31 PM (#793411 - in reply to #793392)

I.downsize sometimes even in fall. Here is a scenario that I was able to put a 48 in the boat in early October.

Fish were shallow, I.mean 1-2ft and the water was milk chocolate murky. The wind was blowing a gale. I was throwing a heavy action musky setup with a 205 crane. The bait would float a little making an accurate cast hard at times and was getting into the bottom frequently. I was making contact and caught some fish but could make more casts that were better and not getting the lure into the mud. I downsized to a bass rod and a 204 crane. Now I was rifle casting this bait and not getting into the bottom. My partners were floating their baits into the wind. I ended up getting a big fish. I caught 3 over 40 with the rod and various smaller baits. I made the right adjustment for the situation. I always bring a bass rod and some smaller baits with me.

Edited by ToddM 11/20/2015 7:34 PM
ToddM
Posted 11/21/2015 8:47 AM (#793452 - in reply to #793392)

One amendment to the above. Based on geographic locations, we took my buddies boat which has a windshield. Since there were three of us, I took the middle. I am not a fan of the middle because of the limited casting angles and when the boat is out of position, especially too close, you don't have a cast. Given that I work the rod horizontal not vertical, I am standing on the floor not a deck, I didn't have a lot of room to work. I brought 8' musky rods on the trip because of the boat we would be in but the 7 1/2" flipping stick was that much better for the situation.
K9guy
Posted 11/21/2015 7:21 PM (#793515 - in reply to #793392)

ToddM, that is exactly the kind of wisdom that I am searching for.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)