Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Musky vs Striper

Message Subject: Musky vs Striper
catching_weeds
Posted 10/2/2015 9:49 PM (#787042)
Subject: Musky vs Striper

I'm new to Musky fishing and was just curious how you Musky guys, who have also caught Stripers, would compare the two fish pound-for-pound. I've not caught a Musky yet but I have caught a few stripers in the 36-40 inch range.

I guess I'm surprised at how quickly guys are pulling Musky into the boat that are in the 35in-40in range. I've been watching a few YouTube vids of guys musky fishing and even large musky are landing in 2-3 minutes. I've never landed a 40in striper in 2-3 mins. Nevertheless, I'm still going to give Musky fishing a go but was just curious if it's just the hype and elusiveness of the fish or if there's really something about the tug-of-war that's special.

Cheers.
cave run legend
Posted 10/2/2015 9:58 PM (#787043 - in reply to #787042)
Subject: Re: Musky vs Striper

With the necessary equipment you land the fish quickly.
randy t
Posted 10/2/2015 10:47 PM (#787049 - in reply to #787043)

Moved to Mn. from N. Calif 20 years ago. I miss striper fishing in the delta the most. When I go home, always plan a striper trip. We fish them like bass with hvy bass tackle, throw rattle traps, buzzbaits, rubber, spinner baits... Sound familiar? When you hooked a 40" you best be standing on the trolling motor, because its gonna smash your lure and leave the country. With a musky you dont get the long and powerful runs but you get some awsome boat side strikes and theatrics.
Both are great fish and can drive you crazy. IMHO a 40" striper would kick a 40" muskys rear. A 4 to 5 lbs schoolie would put a 5 to 6 lb smallie to shame.
I feel blessed to be here in the fantastic musky and smallie fishing in Mn. but I really miss those big stripers fresh out of the ocean.

randy t
Posted 10/2/2015 10:56 PM (#787050 - in reply to #787043)

cave run legend - 10/2/2015 9:58 PM

With the necessary equipment I have never landed a big striper quickly.
Pointerpride102
Posted 10/2/2015 11:07 PM (#787051 - in reply to #787050)

randy t - 10/2/2015 10:56 PM

Forgive him, he likes to talk a lot about things he doesn't know about. Your summary in the post above this one nailed it.
dfkiii
Posted 10/3/2015 12:31 AM (#787054 - in reply to #787042)

You really can't compare salt water fish to fresh water fish. You also need to understand most musky fisherman use tuna gear to fish muskies. That explains a lot....
14ledo81
Posted 10/3/2015 1:53 AM (#787057 - in reply to #787051)

Pointerpride102 - 10/2/2015 11:07 PM

randy t - 10/2/2015 10:56 PM

Forgive him, he likes to talk a lot about things he doesn't know about. Your summary in the post above this one nailed it.

You know what he meant. The rods, reels, and line we use for muskies is designed for the lures we throw. The fish is then overmatched.
ToddM
Posted 10/3/2015 7:08 AM (#787062 - in reply to #787042)

The fish are built different therefore fight different. I will be on heidecke next week fishing hybrids on lighter spinning gear. Most are 17-22". The ones over 20" I will be chasing with the trolling motor.

A fish that has a fight that would surprise you is a blue catfish. They fight just like a striper. I have had them hit my lure and then have to reel 25ft of slack line as fast as possible to catch up. We are targeting them and there are plenty of guys trolling lures to catch them.

Edited by ToddM 10/3/2015 7:10 AM
randy t
Posted 10/3/2015 8:00 AM (#787067 - in reply to #787062)

Light tackle open water hybreds has to be a ball. They stocked a lake in N Calif with naturals and they nearly ruined the lake. Sound familiar? It was also one of the early lakes stocked with florida bass. Lots of shad, rainbow trout, sunfish, crawfish for forrage. In the late 70s it kicked out a 18lb largemouth and some 25lb stripers.
Then the strippers went up the river and repoduced. The lake was never the same. No more big bass were caught, the strippers were 17" to 19" snakes. DNR took all striper limets off and begged people to take them. They learned alot from that.
There are great fish almost everywhere you go. Im sorry that I havent spent more time on Missippippi river hunting flatheads or the rainy for sturgon. Only so much time. I spend my time after muskies or smallies on the pond. Get to retire in 3 years and plan on exploring lots of other types of big fish in new places.
catching_weeds
Posted 10/3/2015 8:18 AM (#787068 - in reply to #787054)

dfkiii - 10/3/2015 12:31 AM

You really can't compare salt water fish to fresh water fish. You also need to understand most musky fisherman use tuna gear to fish muskies. That explains a lot....

Tuna Gear! Wow. I think that might be overkill. I'm not an expert on Musky fishing and I'm not the best angler - I ain't the worst either - but I've not seen in any video clips of guys using Tuna saltwater rods and reel for Musky....unless you're just making a joke here.

wild
Posted 10/3/2015 9:10 AM (#787074 - in reply to #787042)
Subject: RE: Musky vs Striper

Musky vs. what? There is only one fish I chase.... catching other species only bridges the gap between Musky fishing....let me throw this out there.... Musky fisherman (dedicated ones) can fish about anything out there...can you say the same about bass fisherman? Put in a 16 hour day fishing for one fish.... to me the adversity, the pain, the hunt for these fish cannot be measured in terms of the "fight" they give. Mentally, there is no close second.

Wild
"Hey my name is Tie Domi if you wanna know me you gotta go me cuz im Tie Domi"
jonnysled
Posted 10/3/2015 9:11 AM (#787075 - in reply to #787068)

400+ size reels, 80 - 100 pound braid, 130 pound fluoro leaders and extra-heavy rods ... baits, hook size = yah, the typical equipment used is hearty. muskies are fun for the way they attack and chase (lots of chances at the visual strike), the head shakes and if they can getting out of the water on a jump and shake. otherwise you can pretty much swim them under pressure and get them in the net fast.

smallies and salmon fight harder and are more fun for the long haul in my opinion ... i like to musky fish but love being connected to a big smallie or a salmon. multiple runs and a longer more energetic fight to me. never caught a striper but would imagine they are more similar to smallies and salmon than a muskie.

Edited by jonnysled 10/3/2015 9:55 AM
dfkiii
Posted 10/3/2015 9:58 AM (#787082 - in reply to #787068)

muskyhunter47 - 10/3/2015 9:18 AM

Musky guys use equipment more for the baits we use then to fight the fish.some guys call the shimano tranx tuna gear.this is far from the truth .a tuna would destroy a tranx.but when your throwing lures that weigh a pound or bucktails with 13 blades you need reels that can handle it.but to call I tuna gear that's far from the truth

I guess I need to be more concise, as apparently some people are unaware of any tuna species aside from the bluefin.

Would it be better if I called it wahoo gear ? King mackeral gear ? When I fish with my brother down in the gulf we use 400TEs, 80# line and rods that are not very different from the St. Croix rods I use in WI. So let's just call it saltwater gear. Will that satisfy your pedantic urges ?

While I agree the tackle is geared more towards the baits than the fish, you are still fighting a musky on gear used to catch fish that would eat a musky for an afternoon snack.
Pointerpride102
Posted 10/3/2015 10:18 AM (#787088 - in reply to #787082)

Are these chicken of the sea tuna or starkist tuna? In water or oil? (Who buys the tuna in oil? That's disgusting)

I think there is an important distinction.
dfkiii
Posted 10/3/2015 10:22 AM (#787089 - in reply to #787088)

Pointerpride102 - 10/3/2015 10:18 AM

Are these chicken of the sea tuna or starkist tuna? In water or oil? (Who buys the tuna in oil? That's disgusting)

I think there is an important distinction.

Starkist and others. I like the kind they serve up at high end sushi places in Tokyo, but they would blow up a Tranx.
que
Posted 10/3/2015 10:25 AM (#787090 - in reply to #787068)

The Tranx was devolped as a saltwater reel. It's in the Shimano star drag family of reels. It's a great reel that has made the crossover to freshwater angling. It will easly handle albacore, blackfin tuna, and other small tuna species.
achotrod
Posted 10/3/2015 10:50 AM (#787093 - in reply to #787042)

NACL stands for salt water. That reel also made the crossover to musky fishing. The new Beast is supposedly specifically designed for musky fishing and does an awesome job doing it.
kdawg
Posted 10/3/2015 7:36 PM (#787124 - in reply to #787093)

The Musky is a great fighting fish. I've caught them on bass and walleye tackle. But I also agree that today's tackle is geared to the lures we use. And, I will gladly give up the part of the musky being a good fighter, with the use of heavier equipment, because I receive more satisfaction releasing the fish for it to be caught again some other day. Never caught a big striper though,but I believe that would be a battle. Kdawg
ToddM
Posted 10/4/2015 7:55 AM (#787151 - in reply to #787042)

It's been pointed out already, this is going to be a fun winternet. Bump boards at the ready!

The tranx was designed to fish saltwater by the late Salt Walther under a mackerel sky.

Edited by ToddM 10/4/2015 9:11 AM
zombietrolling
Posted 10/4/2015 8:33 AM (#787158 - in reply to #787042)

No comparison between fresh and salt water when there is a tide involved. A cow bass gets in current and then it's time to hold on and let her rip drag.
randy t
Posted 10/4/2015 9:25 AM (#787163 - in reply to #787158)

A cow bass? What part of the country are they in? Must be a river fish since you catch them in current. Where I come from we have smallmouth,largemouth, spotted and striped, but no cow.
For you nonbelievers, go and catch a big striper out of a lake, it will change your mind. Sometimes you have to step out of your narrow boundarys.
Nershi
Posted 10/4/2015 10:19 AM (#787165 - in reply to #787042)

There is no comparison between salt and fresh water fish. There is also no comparison between a river musky and a lake musky. Lake fish don't fight much but river fish do. The fat mid40 river muskies I've caught have fought WAY harder than any 50 I've caught in a lake.
zombietrolling
Posted 10/4/2015 1:08 PM (#787177 - in reply to #787163)

randy t - 10/4/2015 10:25 AM

A cow bass? What part of the country are they in? Must be a river fish since you catch them in current. Where I come from we have smallmouth,largemouth, spotted and striped, but no cow.
For you nonbelievers, go and catch a big striper out of a lake, it will change your mind. Sometimes you have to step out of your narrow boundarys.

Ha! A large striper. I've only chased stripers in the salty water.
KentuckyMuskie
Posted 10/4/2015 8:49 PM (#787224 - in reply to #787042)

I live in Kentucky and my son and I sometimes take a break from musky fishing and head down to Tennessee to fish for stripers. We fish lakes and rivers equally as much. Most of the time that I have a musky on the line, I am trying to get her into the net. This usually doesn't take too long. Maybe a good run or two and a few jumps out of the water.
With a big striper, they kinda do what they want and it takes longer. Usually a longer fight with what feels like a stronger fish and it takes longer to wear them down.
I am still more excited to fight with a musky than a striper. I live equidistant from good striper and good musky waters, but I most often head to the musky waters.
One bad thing about catching the big stripers... When you land them, they are just about done for. Even if you try to release them, they don't recover very well.
dfkiii
Posted 10/4/2015 10:01 PM (#787236 - in reply to #787224)

KentuckyMuskie - 10/4/2015 8:49 PM

I live in Kentucky and my son and I sometimes take a break from musky fishing and head down to Tennessee to fish for stripers. We fish lakes and rivers equally as much. Most of the time that I have a musky on the line, I am trying to get her into the net. This usually doesn't take too long. Maybe a good run or two and a few jumps out of the water.
With a big striper, they kinda do what they want and it takes longer. Usually a longer fight with what feels like a stronger fish and it takes longer to wear them down.
I am still more excited to fight with a musky than a striper. I live equidistant from good striper and good musky waters, but I most often head to the musky waters.
One bad thing about catching the big stripers... When you land them, they are just about done for. Even if you try to release them, they don't recover very well.

Do you use the same tackle for both musky and striper ?
rodbender
Posted 10/4/2015 10:12 PM (#787238 - in reply to #787236)

wtf? it was 60 something degrees out in the north today. winter already?
potato , po ta toe..tomato, tomah toe...lets call the whole thing off.
dfkiii
Posted 10/4/2015 10:19 PM (#787240 - in reply to #787238)

rodbender - 10/4/2015 10:12 PM

wtf? it was 60 something degrees out in the north today. winter already?
potato , po ta toe..tomato, tomah toe...lets call the whole thing off.

Only made it to 54 by me.
KentuckyMuskie
Posted 10/5/2015 6:15 AM (#787247 - in reply to #787236)

dfkiii - 10/4/2015 10:01 PM

Do you use the same tackle for both musky and striper ?

Yes, we use all of the same gear. It was great not to have to buy all new stuff for another species.
MACK
Posted 10/5/2015 8:15 AM (#787262 - in reply to #787042)

I have fished for Muskies now for 35 years. And have fished inland, freshwater Stripers for 15 or 16 years. I have not yet had the opportunity to fish the salt water Stripers.

Yes...I used my Muskie gear when fishing the freshwater Stripers...and I even use Salmon trolling gear when trolling Stripers as well. I can have Salmon trolling downrigger rods set in the downriggers while also using my St. Croix Muskies rods while long-line trolling and/or when using boards, at the same time. When casting for Stripers, yes...I'm using the Muskie gear. Yes..it's great to have the gear that can fish multi-species.

I will agree with the guy that goes by KentuckyMuskie....when comparing a Muskie to an inland, freshwater Striper, the Muskies are a much heartier fish in regards to quickly, safely and successfully releasing the fish back to the water to live another day. Seems the Stripers are nearly, if not already dead, by the time they hit the net...before even getting the hook out of the fish's mouth. Not all the time, but...it certainly does happen. That's even when keeping the fight time short with the Stripers. I certainly do wish that Stripers would release better as I prefer to release the Stripers vs keeping them and cleaning them. But if one isn't going to make it...into the ice box it goes. I always carry the ice box when Striper fishing, for that chance that they're not going to make it. (No...I never carry an ice box while Muskie fishing.....sad that I even have to clarify that...but...that's reality when on these forum boards....).

I have thought about investing into a Striper Tube or two to have running in the boat at all times while out Striper fishing, but I don't fish for the Stripers as much as I used to anymore these days to invest into those....not to mention the real estate they take up in a boat....I don't have a big, off-shore boat. Married with two kids has greatly reduced my fishing time, so when I do get some time to fish, I'm after the Muskies. Don't have time to do it all anymore.

Stripers vs Muskies vs Salmon vs Northern Pike vs ___________...they're all fun and they each have their own merits and distinctions. I'm just glad to be fishing for anything that swims.

Edited by MACK 10/5/2015 8:16 AM
curleytail
Posted 10/5/2015 9:24 AM (#787271 - in reply to #787042)

Holy cow! Ok so the stripers fight better I guess. You win?

I don't really fish muskies for the fight. Some of them are pretty strong, but if going for a long drawn out battle full of long runs, they aren't your fish. They can be pretty spectacular - throwing water, jumping, bulldogging head shakes. That's cool stuff, but they aren't a tear your tackle apart saltwater fish.

They are often difficult to catch and a great challenge. Isn't that what makes us fish for them?

If I wanted the hardest fighting fish in my area I'd probably have to fish for catfish or sturgeon. Not really as appealing to me, personally.

Yikes!
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)