Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "If you used up all of your sick days call in dead"
- (Added by: Raider150)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> Question weighted jerkbait wood

Message Subject: Question weighted jerkbait wood
spoonpluggergino
Posted 10/2/2015 9:19 AM (#786948)
Subject: Question weighted jerkbait wood

I am building a weighted jerk bait 12 inches long for my upcoming LOTW fall trip, I am making one out of hickory and I think its pretty heavy wood and hard wood, the density, lbs./cu. ft. is 51.21, this bait may not need ballast, I am thinking on using a little softer lighter wood, like beech, density is 40.89.
Any input on what kind of wood for weighted jerk baits would be greatly appreciated

Thanks Gino
Jeremy
Posted 10/2/2015 12:27 PM (#786974 - in reply to #786948)
Subject: Re: Question weighted jerkbait wood

I made a bunch of Suicks last winter out of various hardwoods. Cherry, Butternut, Hard Maple (aka Sugar Maple) and Ash.

All unweighted, they didn't need to be. The Butternut reigned supreme in my book followed very closely by the Ash bait (a Wades Wobbler). These were 9 and 10 inchers...they went down around 3-4 ft, perfect for what I wanted.

All the rest were heavy for my likes and they hit the back yard fireplace!
spoonpluggergino
Posted 10/2/2015 4:08 PM (#787006 - in reply to #786948)
Subject: Re: Question weighted jerkbait wood

Thanks Jeremy
Hickory definitely too heavy, the good thing did not need any ballast, I salvaged the bait by relocating the front and middle hook and I went from 7/o to 5/o hooks to get a better rise. Luckily I have a pond at the house so I can test all; my baits and the wood Owl lumber very close to the house also

I went to Owl Hardwood Lumber and picked up some Ash and some Beech, I wanted the harder wood that I could get away with , due to ripping the bait in to the rocks, may have to install a stainless steel plate to protect the wood

Thanks for the help that saved me a bunch time and headaches

Gino
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)