Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Looks like some MN folks need a bit of an education...

Message Subject: Looks like some MN folks need a bit of an education...
jvlast15
Posted 9/29/2015 6:56 AM (#786473 - in reply to #786291)
Subject: Re: Looks like some MN folks need a bit of an education...

I'm relatively new to muskie fishing (about 4 years). How many of these crazy walleye guys have actually prevented a lake that has already been stocked from continuing to be stocked? Are they ever successful or are they just blowing hot air?
MOJOcandy101
Posted 9/29/2015 7:53 AM (#786477 - in reply to #786291)

If anyone hears of when these public meetings are please post it.
jamesb
Posted 9/29/2015 3:18 PM (#786529 - in reply to #786291)

Note to self -- fish every dock in Pelican Lake.
rodbender
Posted 9/29/2015 3:20 PM (#786530 - in reply to #786529)

Note to self.
create little girls foot lure.
Jig docks with it.
dsqui
Posted 9/29/2015 3:58 PM (#786535 - in reply to #786291)

ya alot of old timers here in indiana complained about the same thing on a lake i fish. said all the bluegills were gone or too small because the muskies were eating them. got the dnr to stop stocking the lake. its amazing how i can go there and catch more then enough to eat and average size grew on them not decreased. even the crappies are thriving now. and youll catch a decent perch every now and then. people are just ignorant
bigfoot
Posted 9/29/2015 6:18 PM (#786551 - in reply to #786291)
Subject: RE: Looks like some MN folks need a bit of an education...

ii have fished pelican for my entire life and in the last 5 years I've caught tons of walleye. Fargo Moorhead walleye tournament in the spring also catches tons of them. The property owners who I've gotten to know or know of are stubborn old guys who either compare pelican to factories like Devils lake or are just bad fishermen. The rest of them want their lake to be a swimming pool to wakeboard and tube on without having to touch seaweed.

Classic case of blaming someone else for a lake's problems. When you and everyone you know keep a few hundred walleye every year for 40 years, blame muskies.
ToddM
Posted 9/30/2015 6:51 AM (#786603 - in reply to #786291)

Fill the seats, don't give them a free shot and shoot them down with facts. Find them on social media be there too. Anywhere they have a voice, be there. If you want this to go away meet them everywhere. Question their statements and counter them. Make them explain something they can't. Make them look like they don't know what they are talking about. Keep a step ahead of them in the conversation and make them play defense. Lead them into traps, you already know the mindset, say something that brings a response you can kill. It's like bringing a straight over a predictable lazy jab. I have done some of this to people in Indiana. Be smart about it, don't let your emotions take control.

Edited by ToddM 9/30/2015 7:00 AM
dfree
Posted 9/30/2015 10:57 AM (#786641 - in reply to #786291)

If you want to talk to this guy directly here is his info.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(Screen Shot 2015-09-30 at 10.55.13 AM.png)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Screen Shot 2015-09-30 at 10.55.13 AM.png (45KB - 349 downloads)
Travis A.
Posted 9/30/2015 11:19 AM (#786645 - in reply to #786291)

Jerry Sondag posted on his Headshaker facebook page that he is going to be on the radio at 2pm discussing this. You can stream it live online here:
http://kfgo.com/shows/show/the-mike-mcfeely-show/
Captain
Posted 9/30/2015 2:30 PM (#786674 - in reply to #786291)

Thanks for the link. Listened to the interview. Jerry certainly doesn't mince any words. LOL
MOJOcandy101
Posted 9/30/2015 2:31 PM (#786676 - in reply to #786291)

"hide your kids hid your wife, the muskies are coming"

"Good thing there aren't tornadoes or else we would be watching muskinado"

Jerry is great, good listen. thanks for the heads up
Captain
Posted 9/30/2015 2:48 PM (#786680 - in reply to #786676)

MOJOcandy101 - 9/30/2015 2:31 PM

"hide your kids hid your wife, the muskies are coming"

"Good thing there aren't tornadoes or else we would be watching muskinado"

Jerry is great, good listen. thanks for the heads up
I cracked up at these as well. LOL
Further North
Posted 9/30/2015 9:16 PM (#786740 - in reply to #786291)

This is probably a dumb question...but are there really people out there who'd rather catch walleye than muskie?

...that's just...odd...
IAJustin
Posted 9/30/2015 9:34 PM (#786742 - in reply to #786740)

Further North - 9/30/2015 9:16 PM

This is probably a dumb question...but are there really people out there who'd rather catch walleye than muskie?

...that's just...odd...

Seriously?, probably 100 to 1 fisherman nationwide would rather catch walleye vs. muskie

Edited by IAJustin 9/30/2015 9:36 PM
Pointerpride102
Posted 9/30/2015 9:44 PM (#786743 - in reply to #786742)

IAJustin - 9/30/2015 9:34 PM

Further North - 9/30/2015 9:16 PM

...that's just...odd...

Seriously?, probably 100 to 1 fisherman nationwide would rather catch walleye vs. muskie

Probably 10,000+ to 1
Jsondag
Posted 9/30/2015 10:42 PM (#786751 - in reply to #786291)

Hey guys, thanks for listening. And having input on the topic. The PLPOA (pelican Lake home owner association) is a very staunch and opinionated group of people. I've communicated with several members, only a couple are open to understanding fisheries. The majority of the group are non-fisherman. Meaning- they either don't fish at all or they throw a line occasionally off a dock or a pontoon. This whole issue was generated by a fella by the name of Tom Sherman whom lives on Pelican. He is a walleye fisherman who is often spotted at 3-4 of the same spots every time you see him. He is the guy who would kill any musky that came to his boat as well as instruct other anglers to go the same. He and I have shared words on more than one occasion. He has also admitted in recent PLPOA meetings that he's try to better the lake by removing Zebra Mussels by the bucketload only to dump them in creek fed sloughs near his home.... ILLEGAL! Also, he caught a bass off the dock that he thought was some kind of record.... So he took the live fish a couple miles down the road to have it weighed at a hardware store. Then the 3 pound whopper ended up being a fraction of the record he took it back to the lake and released it. Again ILLEGAL!

These are the type of people we are dealing with. Uneducated (about fisheries) self absorbed, self entitled homeowners that believe they own the water shed. It all started with walleye predation... When the DNR trumped that with data, they moved onto excessive boating pressure due to "loud obnoxious musky anglers making all sorts of noise". After they realized that their statement was absolute swill, they began the danger to human rhetoric. I've been privey to all this BS for several years. But now that the majority of the board are retired they can sit at morning coffee and plot they're next "opposition." Sad really. The lake could be improved so greatly in other avenues. When I challenged the walleye fishery by stating that all great walleye lakes have strict slot size limits and pelican doesn't, they didn't want to hear it since that would interrupt the amount of "keepers."

It's sickening as a real angler and a homeowner on the lake. McFeely contacted me for that reason... That, and I would speak my mind and entertain some people. We do need to rally as anglers. FM walleyes inc is on our side so should everyone else who gives a hoot about a good fishery in danger.

And yes, I am relocating down to The Florida Keys to pursue other fishing opportunities, but will still be guiding Muskies every late summer and early fall, based out of my family cabin on Pelican Lake.

Keep up the good fight and good luck!
Jerry

Edited by Jsondag 9/30/2015 10:47 PM
anderj85
Posted 10/1/2015 7:54 AM (#786765 - in reply to #786291)

Hopefully he'll get caught killing a musky. I think I saw an article about another guy who was caught doing that and he was hit pretty hard with fines and not able fish for quite a while if i remember correctly.
Travis A.
Posted 10/1/2015 8:13 AM (#786766 - in reply to #786291)

Need to get one of them on video killing a musky like that one guy did on youtube. Even if they don't fish much and care about losing their license and fines aren't nothing to them if they have money, it would sure ruin their credibility when they try to talk about anything related to fishing to anyone of any power. Keep the cameras rolling and sooner or later one will mess up.
BretRobert1
Posted 10/1/2015 9:12 AM (#786771 - in reply to #786766)

ToddM has a lot of good thoughts. Be there and let your voice be heard when public discussions take place. Stay civil and be ready for what these people are going to say (pretty predictable). Facts are facts and that's undebatable.

Look at all the musky success there has been over the past 25 years alone: Changing the mindset of many on C&R, new & better stocking programs, increased size limits etc. There's no reason this issue can't end up being a positive for the musky world in the end.

Keep fighting the good fight, all.
tolle141
Posted 10/1/2015 6:15 PM (#786877 - in reply to #786291)

Any chance Jerry's interview is recorded?
happy hooker
Posted 10/1/2015 6:41 PM (#786879 - in reply to #786877)

F you have never been to a dnr public input meeting and your a Minnesota musky guy you really should experience it. I've been to many not so much last few years because of 2nd shift work but almost all have the same flavor.
You have the anti"s who are there to rant and think the guy who yells the loudest will win the sway.
Then you have the Oliver Stone younger types who think the dnr,rich muskie guys and the CIA, are all involved and paid off to get the muskies in.
But,,then you have the people who are legitimately on the fence. They are there to listen to both sides they live in the area or maybe on the lake and they really don't know what is good or bad about the issue,,,These are the people and reason for showing up that we can make a difference with and hopefully the Walderas,Underhills,Rob Kimms are there to represent.
I'm a musky guy but I don't think I'm being biased when I say we usually do well in these debates.
But if this goes public has a Minnesota musky guy you should get this experience.
jaultman
Posted 10/2/2015 8:15 AM (#786933 - in reply to #786877)

tolle141 - 10/1/2015 6:15 PM

http://kfgo.com/podcasts/mike-mcfeely-show/983/jerry-sondag/
jonnysled
Posted 10/2/2015 8:37 AM (#786938 - in reply to #786933)

jaultman - 10/2/2015 8:15 AM

tolle141 - 10/1/2015 6:15 PM

http://kfgo.com/podcasts/mike-mcfeely-show/983/jerry-sondag/

just listened ... good interview!! thanks for posting.
Brett Waldera
Posted 10/2/2015 8:43 AM (#786940 - in reply to #786291)

I think we as muskie anglers miss our opportunities to educate the masses on muskies and their purpose in a body of water. We arrive at the landing early and stay late, we scoff at any boats that come near us since they are interrupting our fishing, we degrade our own on their first success for vertical holds or excessive handling. (not that I condone those practices)

My point being is this...the general public knows very little of the species we pursue, or the sport of muskie fishing. We as muskie anglers need to do a better job teaching others what our sport is all about. Never miss an opportunity to educate or take a non-muskie fisherman muskie fishing. Be courteous to the pontooners that insist on going between you and the shoreline you are casting, ask the walleye anglers how they are doing and when the complain the muskies ate them all... laugh and tell them your buddies catch walleye out here all the time...hope you find them! We can't alienate ourselves and then become upset when there is an anti-muskie push!

I was filling up my boat at a gas station two years ago and a guy came out and started looking at the baits hanging from my pedestal...he struck up a conversation with me and asked where I fished...I told him where and then explained I was going out after I gassed up the boat. He said, I have a 17yr old son who would love to muskies fish sometime. I said, what's he doing now, I'm going solo? Long story short...I took the kid out that night and although he didn't land a muskie he had a hit and saw two more...he and his father are now supporters of the MN Muskie program. Don't miss an opportunity!

If you love the sport...be an ambassador of it and take the time to educate others...it will benefit muskie anglers for generations to come.

I will get off my soapbox now.
Best Fishes,
Brett Waldera
BNelson
Posted 10/2/2015 9:31 AM (#786950 - in reply to #786291)

very good points BDubz... I know I am guilty of getting testy with a pontooner or other boater that cuts right in front of where we are casting... 90% of the time I'd imagine they just don't know what they are even doing...
I know Jerry is outspoken and that can be good..and bad... Maybe you or someone else that might be a little bit more 'pc' could go on the radio and offer facts and educate the public the real story...
It's too bad this small group on the lake has created so much trouble...the walleyes are still there, they just need to learn how to adapt to changing lake conditions to catch them... keep up the good fight!

Edited by BNelson 10/2/2015 9:39 AM
jonnysled
Posted 10/2/2015 9:36 AM (#786953 - in reply to #786950)

when people encroach on you while fishing just wave to them and be the nice guy ... their response will confirm their intentions either way and you will know. 90% of the time they'll respond in-kind and be oblivious. there is nothing that's going to change what is happening so why whine or yell about it. the fish don't care ... might even wake em up.

great post Brett ... hopefully everyone will read it! the musketeers are a special interest group that could stand to improve the "general" image based on what i see and hear. fishing is supposed to be fun ...
MOJOcandy101
Posted 10/5/2015 4:46 PM (#787340 - in reply to #786291)

In case anyone is interested, here are a few articled about muskies given to the Pelican Lake Propertys Owners Association.

http://www.pelicanlakemn.org/Education/Muskie%20letter%20Jim%20Wolt...

http://www.pelicanlakemn.org/Education/Muskie%20Stocking-Length%20I...

http://www.pelicanlakemn.org/Education/Muskie%20Info%20DSM%20august...
bbradley
Posted 10/5/2015 5:00 PM (#787342 - in reply to #787340)

These guys are unbelievable......... Have they given any thought that whats causing there lack of fishing success due to the zebra mussel infestation in that lake. You can see 25 feet down in pelican, that's why the fishing has gotten worse. They are probably just use to going to the same spots as what they fished 25 years ago and think they should still be able to catch fish. Muskies are not to be blamed.

Take the best walleye fishing lakes in Minnesota. Leech lake, Lake of the woods, Bemidji, Cass, vermilion, Winnie..... Guess what they all have muskies in them.

Edited by bbradley 10/5/2015 5:01 PM
jvlast15
Posted 10/5/2015 7:07 PM (#787371 - in reply to #786291)

Do we need to request a study being done about how many muskies are being eaten by walleye?
Lunker Larry
Posted 10/7/2015 4:01 PM (#787638 - in reply to #786291)

The Bay of Qinte is a world class walleye fishery with 10 to 13 lbs caught regularly throughout the fall. I remember, before zebra mussels, a whole different way of fishing. We had to change from jigging in the shallower water to more open water trolling. Zebra mussels actually improved overall fishing. Cleaned up the water, more weed beds, more bass and bigger walleye.
The point is, you have to change. You fish every lake different but when your lake changes, you have to adapt.
Relying on what your grandfather did isn't going to work for you. Some people just don't get it.

Edited by Lunker Larry 10/7/2015 4:02 PM
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)