Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Turnover.....the worst

Message Subject: Turnover.....the worst
Muskyjoe29
Posted 9/21/2015 7:41 PM (#785429)
Subject: Turnover.....the worst

I'll start the awful conversation regarding turnover. The fellas and I are gonna be on the eagle River chain October 8th for a week. How are things looking?I know it's not an exact science for many reasons. Just wanted to get some good guesses and logical speculations on when guys think it's coming. Thanks
MrMuskyMan
Posted 9/21/2015 10:12 PM (#785460 - in reply to #785429)
Subject: Re: Turnover.....the worst

Judging by my friends who just fished that tourney this last weekend the lake's weeds are nice n green the water temps are still holding and the weather for the next week or so is going to stay in the upper 40's at night so you probably will be just fine. Turnover will hit the bigger lakes first so stay on the shallower lakes if you really are concerned.
Sidejack
Posted 9/21/2015 10:25 PM (#785464 - in reply to #785460)

MrMuskyMan - 9/21/2015 10:12 PM
Turnover will hit the bigger lakes first so stay on the shallower lakes if you really are concerned.

Really? I thot it was jest the opposite.
MrMuskyMan
Posted 9/21/2015 10:48 PM (#785465 - in reply to #785464)

It all has to do with how fast the shallows warm and how long it takes for the deeper water where it's colder to actually flip over in a sense. A shallower dishpan shaped lake may never turn over because the winds keep all of the water in motion constantly circulating it kinda like a whirlpool. The deeper lakes take longer to turn over because the cold water is farther from the warming of the sun. But once that warm water starts to cool to a temperature closer to the bottom layer that's when turnover occurs. Based upon what my friends up north are telling me the shallow lakes like the moen's chain should still be nice and green with weeds while the water in those lakes are darker than a septic tank lol but those lakes have an average depth of about ten feet deep.
Sidejack
Posted 9/21/2015 11:31 PM (#785468 - in reply to #785465)

Ahh, so lakes not even deep enough to have a thermocline, gotcha.
Muskyjoe29
Posted 9/22/2015 5:51 AM (#785475 - in reply to #785429)

Thanks Muskyman
miket55
Posted 9/22/2015 9:09 AM (#785512 - in reply to #785429)

Last Friday water temps were 66-67 degrees on the Three Lakes Chain, and the weeds were in great shape..
TheShow
Posted 9/22/2015 9:17 PM (#785610 - in reply to #785512)

I'm following this thread closely...
I'm heading up Sept 28 - 30 for a quick trip to Vilas/Oneida counties. I'm hoping to beat turnover and still find fish in the shallow weed flats. Looking at the forecast, I'm assuming I should still be good???
Muskyjoe29
Posted 9/22/2015 9:34 PM (#785613 - in reply to #785429)

I'm guessing your good. Could be a later turnover this year.
MrMuskyMan
Posted 9/22/2015 10:01 PM (#785615 - in reply to #785475)

Your welcome Joe. While I'm no expert that's how I have always understood turnover to work. With the warmer weather we are having up north I'm sure you guys should be fine with that early date in Oct. Unless we get some crazy "Polar Vortex" come down from Canada and cool that water quickly. I'm fishing up there this weekend in the Hodag Challenge, I'll let you know about the water temps when I get back.
Riverrat351
Posted 9/22/2015 10:17 PM (#785617 - in reply to #785615)

What lake group are you fishing Muskyman?
Ben Olsen
Posted 9/22/2015 10:59 PM (#785620 - in reply to #785429)

Maybe it's a topic for the biology forum but...Turnover is more often an advantage than a problem! Especially in a "chain." I truly believe slow periods during the fall transition are more often based simply on that transition rather than the actual physical effects of turnover. On lakes like Vermi, Minnetonka, LoTWs, Fox Chain and Pelican I've found hot bites during periods where turnover was most evident. I get excited when I see the physical indicators of turnover! Maybe I'm crazy...maybe some more folks will chime in. I can also say it's pretty rare on most of the lakes I fish to be able to really pinpoint the start of turnover and I can count on one hand the times I've seen major signs of t/o and had it negatively effect the bite!
Gipper
Posted 9/22/2015 11:34 PM (#785621 - in reply to #785429)
Subject: RE: Turnover.....the worst

I read this stuff a lot. I used to read mags a lot. I have never, ever, seen an article that says there is turnover in 5 or 6 feet of water. In shallow bays.

In the lakes I fish I can't honestly say if I have ever seen turnover adversely affecting fishing because I fish shallow in the fall. That's where I find fish.

I can't get to the northland that frequently so I get it that I could be wrong. But look at it another way. I drive 5 hours in the fall not knowing what the deal is on turnover and every lake has it at different times. I go when I can. It may be snowing. I don't live there so I can't control when I go for a number of reasons. I fish the same areas and it makes no diff. Maybe I'm lucky.

Someone, please tell me that turnover affects shallows bays.
Muskyjoe29
Posted 9/23/2015 7:41 AM (#785643 - in reply to #785429)

I like the sound of those last couple of posts. I don't have enough experience with it to know but like hearing your opinions
Reef Hawg
Posted 9/23/2015 10:03 AM (#785666 - in reply to #785429)
Subject: RE: Turnover.....the worst

I'm with Ben. Knowing that periods of fall and conditions can and will concentrate fish/bait, turnover can be as much a friend as foe.
Muskyjoe29
Posted 9/28/2015 6:43 AM (#786263 - in reply to #785429)

Hey Ben just wondering what gets you excited about the physical effects of turnover. Does it concentrate baitfish in certain locations or is there something else. The last five years I've gone up to the Eagle River chain and we hit every kind of weather and water temps. 2 years ago we for surre hit a period where the water got nasty, smelled horrible and a good amount of crap was floating on the surface. Our trip is two weeks away now so just interested. Ready for anything.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)