Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Musky war in Ottertail County, MN

Message Subject: Musky war in Ottertail County, MN
Reggie54
Posted 8/20/2015 8:58 AM (#781224)
Subject: Musky war in Ottertail County, MN

Go ahead and read the article below, the misinformation and lack of facts these guys are spreading to the public is just hilarious. They're making it sound like they're making their last stand to protect their fish population from these giant sea monsters. Thankfully, the DNR is using actual facts to debunk these myths, but with the public's lake of trust in the MN DNR, I can see a lot of residents buying into this BS they're spewing. A lot of education is still need for the lake stakeholders outside the musky world to prevent more of this nonsense.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/outdoors/fishing/3821183-residents-...
TonyT65
Posted 8/20/2015 9:05 AM (#781225 - in reply to #781224)
Subject: RE: Musky war in Ottertail County, MN

The Muskies ate all the walleyes in Mille lacs too ........... <'{{{{><
rodbender
Posted 8/20/2015 9:22 AM (#781229 - in reply to #781224)
Subject: Re: Musky war in Ottertail County, MN

"Muskie guys have more money than walleye guys".
Must be true if we buy bucktails for $100
Flambeauski
Posted 8/20/2015 9:43 AM (#781233 - in reply to #781224)

I feel sorry for Wolters. Probably gets an angry letter or phone call from every stupid mud duck that can't catch a limit of big female walldogs.
esoxaddict
Posted 8/20/2015 10:26 AM (#781237 - in reply to #781224)

Like it or not, this is the perception that's out there, and it's shared by most folks except those of us who actually like to fish for them. It's easy to see the argument - you can't keep them, you can't eat them, they prey on smaller fish... They eat people's little dogs and you'll never be able to swim in the lake again...

It's been as long as I can remember- the DNR doesn't know anything, the DNR is corrupt, they're being bought by this or that group... Some yo-yo in the bar walks in complaining because the #*^@ muskies ate all the walleyes and that's why the fishing sucked today, and all the rest of the yo-yo's walk away believing that muskies are a scourge.

Maybe it's just a coincidence, but my largest pike, walleye, and smallmouth have all come out of lakes with healthy populations of muskies.

You want a fish that eats everything? Large Mouth Bass. Now there's a predator.

gtp888
Posted 8/20/2015 10:28 AM (#781238 - in reply to #781224)

"Every year for the last 30 years, me and my buddies and everyone I know took home our limit of walleyes every time we fished, and now we can't even come close to our limit.  The muskies are eating all the Walleyes!"   Geezus, how many times have I heard this?  The stupid part is, the ones that spout this just identified their problem, but are too dumb to realize it!
esoxaddict
Posted 8/20/2015 10:45 AM (#781243 - in reply to #781238)

gtp888 - 8/20/2015 10:28 AM

"Every year for the last 30 years, me and my buddies and everyone I know took home our limit of walleyes every time we fished, and now we can't even come close to our limit.  The muskies are eating all the Walleyes!"   Geezus, how many times have I heard this?  The stupid part is, the ones that spout this just identified their problem, but are too dumb to realize it!

And they get so angry when you tell them that every time they limit out on walleyes they just ate more of them than a musky will eat in a month...

Cfollow
Posted 8/20/2015 10:48 AM (#781246 - in reply to #781238)

These people really are special. Every study done has proven muskies do NOT eat walleyes in any relevant number. In fact they tend to eat more other muskies than walleyes. But faced with those facts their responses are the following:
1) what about muskies over 54", what do they eat?
2) the study was done at this time of year. I am sure they eat nothing but walleyes the rest of the year.
3) those other 40+ lakes studied are nothing like "my" lake
And on and on and on....

I am sure AIS and angler harvest have nothing to do with their PERCEIVED lack of walleyes.
IM Musky Time
Posted 8/20/2015 11:08 AM (#781250 - in reply to #781224)

Pretty interesting video showing muskies and walleyes together in one body of water: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRIE5nCdES8
woodieb8
Posted 8/20/2015 11:10 AM (#781251 - in reply to #781224)

cant fix stupid. we love to try and control mother nature. we lose every time.
Nershi
Posted 8/20/2015 11:13 AM (#781253 - in reply to #781224)

There are definitely a lot of muskie haters in that area. I've talked to several at accesses and they are all ignorant to the true facts.

I heard the Pelican Lake association was trying to get the slot reduced to 30 something inches just so they could legally thump every muskie they caught. Sadly I'm sure plenty get the thump or the knife when incidentally caught by these uneducated folks.

The best walleye waters in our state all have muskies.
Bondy
Posted 8/20/2015 11:19 AM (#781254 - in reply to #781224)

Around here they just club em'.
anderj85
Posted 8/20/2015 11:24 AM (#781255 - in reply to #781254)

When I was I high school the MN DNR stocked a local lake with muskies and I remember hearing the same BS from a bunch of the locals. Even heard of guys killing the ones they did catch. It seemed to me in the years following the quality of all fishing in that lake only got better. I think now people are generally ok with it there, but I haven’t fished there for a while.

MOJOcandy101
Posted 8/20/2015 12:48 PM (#781274 - in reply to #781253)

The best walleye waters in our state all have muskies.

I have a cabin in ottertail country and it is ridiculous how much of the older generation that have been "fishing these lakes for 50 years" think that the muskies are the main reason that they are not catching fish anymore. Even in lakes that the DNR doesn't stock with muskies, like Otter Tail that have a small population due to rivers that run through the lake, they still complain that muskies are the reason. I normally just shut my mouth when they bicker because you can't tell them anything, but when I do I ask them how Lake of the woods, Vermillion, Cass, and Leech, are still some of the best fisheries in the country. Their normal response is your to young to realize what these fish have done. Good comeback with that.
happy hooker
Posted 8/20/2015 5:30 PM (#781311 - in reply to #781274)

The dnr info is our best defense and we need it since we set a poor example.
We lecture and quote the statistics but then go out in 3 foot October waves and toss $30 1lb lures all day long in "walleye" color because we have confidence this will get us our trophy. People walk into a shop like gander mountain or a tackle retailer that sells all multi species gear and see a 10 or 14 inch Jake hanging on the wall flip it over and see "WOW" $20-$35 for this thing and it's in walleye color "and those musky guys always say they don't eat em"
Musky anglers are representing Themselves in a don't do has we do, do what we say attitude.
Yeah,yeah,yeah, I've heard that "I think walleye color looks like a sucker" if it's marked "walleye" it was meant to BE that.
6 years ago I stopped buying and using walleye color lures and in fact dumped all mine at a swap meet and boy did you guys swarm over them. I figured if m gonna talk the talk I better walk the walk.
It would be nice if we made baits and used maybe the brown pike or other name instead but guys want to sell baits and guys want walleye color baits but "that's ok because they don't eat walleye"
Stop filling your boxes full.of walleye baits we need to back up the sh#t we talk!!!
Sidejack
Posted 8/20/2015 5:49 PM (#781312 - in reply to #781311)

.. even if it's got an orange tail?
happy hooker
Posted 8/20/2015 6:03 PM (#781315 - in reply to #781312)

Is it called walleye.
rodbender
Posted 8/20/2015 6:12 PM (#781320 - in reply to #781224)

http://muskie.fishn.ca/articles/whatdomuskieseat.shtml

Read the Facts, studies, stats portion.

Edited by rodbender 8/20/2015 6:13 PM
happy hooker
Posted 8/20/2015 6:19 PM (#781321 - in reply to #781320)

So why is walleye either the best or second best bulldawg color sold,,,brown white belly white tip on tail,,that's no Ciscoe. We're buying them because bottom line we want our fish and we have confidence in it.this isn't 1975 and only a hand full of baits available we sort through and seek this color out.

Edited by happy hooker 8/20/2015 6:30 PM
Cfollow
Posted 8/20/2015 6:31 PM (#781325 - in reply to #781321)

Happy, a walleye color lure darting and bobbing and weaving its way through the water column catches muskies because it looks like an easy meal. It acts nothing like a healthy walleye in the lake going about its business.
happy hooker
Posted 8/20/2015 6:44 PM (#781328 - in reply to #781325)

CFollow your right,, but what does the public think when they see just about every muskie lure made offered in walleye color!!! There's no law that says we HAVE to make these-we want to make and buy these.
Pointerpride102
Posted 8/20/2015 6:47 PM (#781329 - in reply to #781311)

happy hooker - 8/20/2015 5:30 PM

The dnr info is our best defense and we need it since we set a poor example.
We lecture and quote the statistics but then go out in 3 foot October waves and toss $30 1lb lures all day long in "walleye" color because we have confidence this will get us our trophy. People walk into a shop like gander mountain or a tackle retailer that sells all multi species gear and see a 10 or 14 inch Jake hanging on the wall flip it over and see "WOW" $20-$35 for this thing and it's in walleye color "and those musky guys always say they don't eat em"
Musky anglers are representing Themselves in a don't do has we do, do what we say attitude.
Yeah,yeah,yeah, I've heard that "I think walleye color looks like a sucker" if it's marked "walleye" it was meant to BE that.
6 years ago I stopped buying and using walleye color lures and in fact dumped all mine at a swap meet and boy did you guys swarm over them. I figured if m gonna talk the talk I better walk the walk.
It would be nice if we made baits and used maybe the brown pike or other name instead but guys want to sell baits and guys want walleye color baits but "that's ok because they don't eat walleye"
Stop filling your boxes full.of walleye baits we need to back up the sh#t we talk!!!

I can honestly say I've never once heard this argument. It's a bit out there and not something I would remotely worry about.
esoxaddict
Posted 8/20/2015 7:00 PM (#781332 - in reply to #781224)

We buy them because we seem to think something that resembles a real fish will catch more muskies. And then we go on to catch a lot of them on every color under the sun, most of which look nothing like whats swimming around out there.

That color works. I don't believe it works because it looks like a walleye. It works because we throw it, and to a lesser degree because it's brown with a white belly, like many other fish.
happy hooker
Posted 8/20/2015 7:12 PM (#781334 - in reply to #781329)

Pointer
That's the Point the WHOLE thing is out there.
You moved here you haven't lived here all your life, the walleye crowd is looking for has much ammo has they can find to get rid of muskies in this state and have succeeded in some cases getting less muskies stocked,
It's only a matter of tiime before somebody walks into a lakes shore public input meeting with the 10 best selling muskie baits all offered in walleye color has a way to sway the crowd.

Trivial??? Maybe so I'm not saying this is a make or break point but why do we make and buy so many walleye color baits,,there's a shortage of other options!!! Especially when we think they don't target walleye.
Bottom line the sales figures show we don't practice what we preach.

Edited by happy hooker 8/20/2015 7:28 PM
Pointerpride102
Posted 8/20/2015 7:28 PM (#781337 - in reply to #781334)

happy hooker - 8/20/2015 7:12 PM

Pointer
That's the Point the WHOLE thing is out there.
You moved here you haven't lived here all your life, the walleye crowd is looking for has much ammo has they can find to get rid of muskies in this state and have succeeded in some cases getting less muskies stocked,
It's only a matter of tiime before somebody walks into a lakes shore public input meeting with the 10 best selling muskie baits all offered in walleye color has a way to sway the crowd.

Trivial??? Maybe so I'm not saying this is a make or break point but why do we make and buy so many walleye color baits,,there's a shortage of other options!!! Especially when we think they don't target walleye.

I get what you're saying, I just don't see it as an argument that would ever hold much water with many people. I commend you for taking the stance. It would be amusing if the musky community abandoned the color pattern, if nothing else to like fun at the anti crowd.

While I did move here, I also grew up in Wisconsin. I understand it isn't as big of an issue there, but I did hear the same arguments there growing up. Especially during various attempts at increasing size limits.

I'm not trying to be a jerk here, I just think this has to be pretty far down the line on things to worry about. If this becomes a big argument, I think it'll show the anti crowd grasping at straws.
MOJOcandy101
Posted 8/20/2015 7:32 PM (#781338 - in reply to #781224)

I understand what your saying about sales but I don't think anyone of us would tell someone that Muskie don't eat walleyes. Cfollow hit the nail on the head and said muskies take the easy meal no matter what color it is. And if the general fisherman can't understand that the dnr will and does so I don't believe they will halt stocking.
happy hooker
Posted 8/20/2015 7:44 PM (#781340 - in reply to #781338)

Somebody knows this????
Didn't miltona for a while bow down to public pressure and get half its quota of muskies stocked for a while until recently for fear of the walleye population.
Minnesota walleye public opinion is just something we don't want to give ANY potential ammunition to.
esoxaddict
Posted 8/20/2015 8:28 PM (#781346 - in reply to #781224)

Not to sound like a jerk, but...

For the most part, people are stupid. They believe what others tell them, despite those folks having no basis in their own beliefs. And they believe what they want to believe despite what those who actually do know what they are talking about tell them.

As musky anglers, we have a difficult job trying to dissuade such beliefs when it comes to their diet, because we like to fish for them. We have a vested interest in keeping the musky population alive. Then there's the perception that we're a bunch of rich nice guys, because somehow someone decided that you have to be wealthy to musky fish.

Our best bet is not to present ourselves as musky anglers with knowledge of our quarry, because people aren't going to listen no matter what we know or what we say.

I've made more ground educating folks about muskies as any-old-angler who put two walleyes or a bunch of panfish on the table today than I ever would have proclaiming myself as a musky fisherman. The anti-musky-crowd is never going to listen to you if you come at them with that so often found high and mighty musky attitude.
ToddM
Posted 8/20/2015 8:46 PM (#781350 - in reply to #781224)

Just curious, do they have or these individuals have a facebook page? You could always friend them and post articles and videos that contradict their mission.
tfootstalker
Posted 8/20/2015 10:09 PM (#781359 - in reply to #781350)

Hooker, I'm with you all the way. Irony at its finest.
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)