Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Fishing Trip Meals

Message Subject: Fishing Trip Meals
curleytail
Posted 8/13/2015 1:50 PM (#780246)
Subject: Fishing Trip Meals

On our last trip to Canada, it seemed like making food and eating cut into our fishing & sleeping time more than necessary.

When putting in a full day on the water, it does seem like a good idea to have a good breakfast, and a pretty hearty meal at the end is something to look forward to. Bring lunch and snacks too, but they pack up pretty quickly before heading out.

With that said, what do you guys plan for meals when the plan for a week is to literally, eat, sleep, and fish, and a frozen pizza 7 nights in a row leaves something to be desired?

Tucker

Edited by curleytail 8/13/2015 1:52 PM
10,000 Casts
Posted 8/13/2015 1:58 PM (#780249 - in reply to #780246)
Subject: Re: Fishing Trip Meals

Two words: American Plan.

Otherwise, cook in bulk on the first day and bring a ton of tupperware with you (assuming your lodging has a microwave)
KenK
Posted 8/13/2015 2:17 PM (#780257 - in reply to #780246)

I like to eat good on a trip and don't mind taking an hour out of the day to take a rest and eat a good dinner. If you have a grill, steaks, burgers, hot dogs, and don't forget Johnsonville brats all cook up fast. You can also bring prepared stuff like soup, chili and spaghetti sauce in Tupperware and just heat it up and cook up the pasta. Save the frozen pizza for a late night snack with a few beers.
Ebenezer
Posted 8/13/2015 2:31 PM (#780260 - in reply to #780246)
Subject: RE: Fishing Trip Meals

I go on a fishing trip to fish, not eat. Don't get me wrong, food is good but is not my primary reason to select a destination location.
dfkiii
Posted 8/13/2015 2:32 PM (#780261 - in reply to #780246)

Life's too short to eat Gillespiewurst.
dtaijo174
Posted 8/13/2015 2:41 PM (#780262 - in reply to #780246)

crockpot meals work great. Turn it on low, go fishing, come back to a hot meal.
Smoked chicken is hard to beat. Throw it in the oven to reheat and done.
figuree
Posted 8/13/2015 2:42 PM (#780263 - in reply to #780261)

When make a trip with several guys and multiple days we typically eat one good meal a day with each boat on its own for lunch and breakfast. Everyone is reaponsible for one hearty meal for trip maybe 2 if number of guys doesnt match days but then that guy/boat is responible for prep too. Keeps other boats out that extra hour or 2 till meal tome for some extra hours on water over the week less your meal days you are responsible. Keeps everyone fed good more time on water and makes the shopping for the group PITA thing a non issue
flyingfish8604
Posted 8/13/2015 2:47 PM (#780265 - in reply to #780263)

My wife and I like to freeze meals before we go. We made a lasagna before we left and froze it. Took it out the morning before we wanted to eat it, and then baked it after our day on the water. We also made taco meat and froze that too. Thaw the bag out, and reheat what you need in the microwave or on the stove top.
IAJustin
Posted 8/13/2015 2:53 PM (#780267 - in reply to #780265)

I eat walleyes in Canada for supper - yummy!
NickD
Posted 8/13/2015 2:57 PM (#780268 - in reply to #780246)

On our week at LOTW this year we pre-cooked a lasagna and froze it along with a couple egg bakes. Had that for breakfast most mornings and made pancakes and eggs one morning. We fished super early a few days and a few days didn't hit the water till 7:30. Fished till 10 every night so that is usually early enough.

We also grilled a bunch of burgers, brats, and pork chops and froze them all. I would have done chicken as well but wasn't dealing with poultry. I have a very small and light coleman grill that we used to make a shore lunch/supper whatever time the fishing sucked or we got super hungry. The little grill is terrible at cooking raw meat but was a champ at heating up the pre-grilled stuff. Throw in a mix of crackers, broccoli, carrots, apples or whatever for sides and you are good to go.

Next year I think I will pre-cook more casseroles or stews to put in aluminum pans and reheat those on the grill. Grilled stuff is great but by day 6 a bit of extra variety would be nice. I really don't care to eat much late at night but some people do.

I don't think there is a much better dinner table than chilling on a LOTWs beach and eating a shorelunch.

My other week was at the Winnipeg River and there we eat a big lunch at the cabin. The timing for that is completely dependent on what the fish/weather are doing. I would prefer to always do the shore lunch thing but the river has very few good shorelunch spots compared to LOTW. Plus pops likes to chill in the cabin for a while. We keep sandwiches out in the boat for the morning before lunch if the bite pushes back dinner or for the evening if we eat early in the day.

The thought of american plan on any big body of water is very unappealing to me. I couldn't imagine going in at 5:30 right after catching fish to eat or skipping out on very expensive meals. AP isn't cheap anywhere. Plus then how far are you really willing to run when you are leaving the cabin at 7PM? On a small lake maybe.
BNelson
Posted 8/13/2015 3:00 PM (#780270 - in reply to #780268)

for our week up there, one guy made us pancakes and sausages a few mornings..otherwise we just grabbed a banana and protein shake and off we went.
Lunches we just did sandwiches on the boat...boat snacks like jerky, trail mix, etc kept us going
Dinners we did a variety of things: Steaks on the grill, pork chops, Costco pulled pork sandwiches, fried fish a few nights.... fairly simple and easy plan and it worked out well

Edited by BNelson 8/13/2015 3:03 PM
esoxaddict
Posted 8/13/2015 3:39 PM (#780275 - in reply to #780246)

American Plan.

Barring that option, there are a few things that have saved the day for us on various trips:

1. Canned soups
2. Microwaveable breakfast sandwiches
3. Beef jerky and nuts
4. Breakfast bars
5. Packets of tuna (they keep for a year or more)

I will typically pack a big cooler of meals for supper after a day on the water. If you're into packing light, you can cook just about anything on a fire provided you have something to cook it in or on. Another thing that we've done to save space and hassle is instead of bringing a grill, bring a bag of charcoal and the top only. Dig a hole. Make a fire. When you have a decent amount of coals, dump the charcoal right on top. It's a challenge cooking over a hole in the ground, but it can be done, and it's way better than dragging a grill around. Don't forget to bring a foldable shovel, or that idea will not work. If you have room, a cast iron skillet is great for cooking over a fire. Indestructible. But don't forget to bring a small bottle of cooking oil, or you'll be eating your fish with a spoon. Trust me.

Another lifesaver: These heavy duty ziplock bags you can boil stuff in. Bring a dozen eggs, some veggies and mushrooms and a pot. Mix it all in a bag and boil it for 10 minutes. Instant omlette, no mess, and you can eat it right out of the bag.

More and more though, I find it's better to just plan ahead. Marinate a slab of ribs and freeze them. Freeze a couple steaks and some pre-made burgers. There is usually a microwave somewhere in camp, so i'll bring those single serving boil in bag vegetables. I also travel with a cast iron skillet and a cast iron pot in case we wind up having fire as our only option.

When all else fails, into the bug-out bag I go. I keep tuna packets, instant soup, breakfast bars, bottled water, a water purifier and a couple MRE's in my truck so I'm never without a meal as long as we can get back to camp. My advice to anyone would be keep a fire starter, bottled water, and a couple MRE's in the boat, too, in case you wind up on an island for the night.

Not like you're going to starve and die otherwise, but why add hunger to the mix?
Slamr
Posted 8/13/2015 3:50 PM (#780278 - in reply to #780275)

"American Plan"

One word. Its bad. And a moderator would delete it.
Stein
Posted 8/13/2015 4:01 PM (#780279 - in reply to #780246)

The last couple of years we moved our "big supper meal" to 4:00. No more missing out on prime time fishing. Come in at 3:00, have a couple of beers, have the big meal, back on the water at 5:00. Still a couple hours off the water but generally off-peak hours.

We also do "each guy brings one meal for all" for each day then fill the remainder of days with fish meals. Guy that brings the fryer and oil doesn't bring a meal. Last day is free-for-all to clean out the fridge.
4reukmuskies
Posted 8/13/2015 7:05 PM (#780296 - in reply to #780246)

Just returned from our trip up to the Winnipeg River system and I go with my dad and some guys so it's a multi-species trip. The first night we get up there we grill out some burgers and then every night except Friday night before we leave is fish, fried potatoes and beans. We also have a good breakfast in the morning early and then we are out all day and have the typical snacks in the boat. We come in late afternoon and have supper and then depending on the day and weather I will go out casting for the evening. Part of the fun of going to Canada are those fresh walleye dinners and the comradery at the table with the guys. A lot of memories!
happy hooker
Posted 8/13/2015 7:11 PM (#780298 - in reply to #780279)

Don't sign up for the meals at a resort a lot of time supper time is also when the major feeding window is and you will miss it,,,I like to eat late and have a meal that's good regardless of how long it takes to make it if I fished all day and didn't have much action at least I know I have a feast waiting for me,,pork chops, steak.chicken breasts- grill food. The grill outside doesn't heat up the cabin.
Pointerpride102
Posted 8/13/2015 7:51 PM (#780307 - in reply to #780298)

It's Canada. You eat fish every day.
sworrall
Posted 8/13/2015 9:21 PM (#780337 - in reply to #780246)

Yep.
Sidejack
Posted 8/13/2015 9:33 PM (#780341 - in reply to #780337)

Agreed, mixin up recipes fer variety - broiled, fried, blackened, ceviche, grilled, etc.
Oh, and Kris Winkelman's (Babe's wife) dishwasher walleye recipe.
Assuming the cabin has a dishwasher of course..
colinj8899
Posted 8/13/2015 10:31 PM (#780363 - in reply to #780246)

MRE's (Meal Ready to Eat)... LOL. I am in the Army and have the advantage to stock up on MRE's. Not so sure I would ever buy one. With that said, I camp a lot and between fishing, camping, drinking and cooking sometimes it can be a lot of work. I save up a lot of the MRE's the Army gives me and take them on my week long camping trips. They make a very quick and easy meal and depending on what type of MRE you get some of them are actually fairly good.
BenR
Posted 8/13/2015 10:53 PM (#780365 - in reply to #780246)

Prior too the financial realm, I have about 20 years in the food realm. Nice wine, scotch, great meals. All part of the trips. It is all about memories and enjoying time with family and friends for me. Catch plenty of fish along the way.
Mark Hoerich
Posted 8/14/2015 6:49 AM (#780372 - in reply to #780365)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oq7gOa8Yfg
jonnysled
Posted 8/14/2015 7:14 AM (#780375 - in reply to #780246)

make a big breakfast hash browns, sausage/bacon, eggs and toast and then boat snacks for lunch
dinner meals no different than eating at home share cooking responsibilities, eat well

American Plan - no way, for all the reasons stated above
Netman
Posted 8/14/2015 7:50 AM (#780379 - in reply to #780246)

Unless you have a camp cook better get on a meal plan. On a couple of the 1st outings on Cass the truck was stuff full of breakfast, lunch and dinner provisions. Then around the end of the day everyone would get together and talk about the action on the lake with a full belly. An if you were like Steve and Jason you just would shy around at dinner time. It sure beat eating the 10 boxes of MAC&CHEESE with hotdogs or 20 gallons of potatoes soup.
Netman
timhutson1
Posted 8/14/2015 8:20 AM (#780384 - in reply to #780246)
Subject: RE: Fishing Trip Meals

Like a lot of these guys I go to fish. Great food is nice but not if I don't have the energy to make it or it costs a fortune. Most the places I have stayed wanted to serve dinner at a time that was before we would be off the water. I am not giving up prime Muskie time for a cooked meal.

When I plan meals for myself I pack light and easy.

Breakfast- 3 packs of instant oatmeal for each day.

Lunch- trail mix, clif bars, or anything that can be eaten on the boat (I still usually skip lunch).

Dinner- Velveeta Shells and Cheese each night. Liquid gold, baby!

do that for 7-8 nights and I have no complaints. Doesn't interfere with all my fishing activities and quick/easy.

Edited by timhutson1 8/14/2015 8:22 AM
Flambeauski
Posted 8/14/2015 8:31 AM (#780385 - in reply to #780246)

Nothing better in the late fall than eating a massive breakfast of bacon, eggs, corned beef hash, bacon, pancakes, good coffee, and biscuits and gravy and bacon before heading out into the cold. Boat sammich for lunch and local bar and grill for dinner.
Netman
Posted 8/14/2015 8:35 AM (#780386 - in reply to #780385)

Flambeauski - 8/14/2015 8:31 AM

Nothing better in the late fall than eating a massive breakfast of bacon, eggs, corned beef hash, bacon, pancakes, good coffee, and biscuits and gravy and bacon before heading out into the cold. Boat sammich for lunch and local bar and grill for dinner.

This is what I'm talking about: Eggs bentrdick, some good sandy's for lunch then meat and pots for dinner. Salmon or a turkey are ok too, plus the left over turkey makes a great soup.
Travis A.
Posted 8/14/2015 8:52 AM (#780390 - in reply to #780246)

Gatorade Protein Bars and Carl Buddig packets of meat. You'll survive. People who get stranded in the jungle live for a week off less.
wall i
Posted 8/14/2015 9:06 AM (#780395 - in reply to #780386)

Netman - 8/14/2015 8:35 AM

Flambeauski - 8/14/2015 8:31 AM

This is what I'm talking about: Eggs bentrdick, some good sandy's for lunch then meat and pots for dinner. Salmon or a turkey are ok too, plus the left over turkey makes a great soup.

The eggs thingy sounds painful.."Eggs bentrdick". Perhaps "Sandy" likes it that way at lunch.

Really...most of you guys sound like youre pathetic in a kitchen...has mommy and wifey cooked all your meals throughout your life. It doesnt take much to prepare good meals. In fact I eat better on my trips .....after all its a vacation not a prison sentence.

Edited by wall i 8/14/2015 9:14 AM
Netman
Posted 8/14/2015 9:31 AM (#780402 - in reply to #780246)

Hey Wall I; I never passed on a walleye fillet for any of the meals, yum. I guess I'm just not into the breakfast bar, nut snack, popcorn box dinner. Always looking for a good cooking challenge......
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)