Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> October NEW moon vs FULL moon period

Message Subject: October NEW moon vs FULL moon period
Travisbrady86
Posted 7/27/2015 6:46 PM (#778045)
Subject: October NEW moon vs FULL moon period

Hey,
I'm planning a 3 or 4 day trip up to northern Wisconsin in October to fish my usual spots up there. Been going to this lake a few years now, and we've gone every week throughout October and into November over the years. I'm interested in seeing if there is any preference for planning a trip around either moon phase period. I realize local weather will trump any predictable moon phase activity, but since we cannot predict the weather so far in advance, the moon phase is the only variable I can plan around and hopefully have somewhat of an edge. We will be fishing all day, every day, and most likely do some night fishing as well. suicks, depthraiders, bulldawgs and ro tubes. suckers obviously. Any input is appreciated. Thanks.
Travis
Travisbrady86
Posted 7/27/2015 6:52 PM (#778047 - in reply to #778045)
Subject: RE: October NEW moon vs FULL moon period

I aLeo am aware of rise/set over/under of each day, just need to see some evidence for each phase to set some dates.
Kirby Budrow
Posted 7/28/2015 7:04 AM (#778100 - in reply to #778045)
Subject: Re: October NEW moon vs FULL moon period

I'd look at the typical water temperatures for those times of year and base it off of that. Maybe try to avoid the most likely time for turnover. That can slow fishing down regardless of a good moon phase.
Johnnie
Posted 7/28/2015 8:28 AM (#778115 - in reply to #778100)

T. Gelb taught me this year's ago....New Moon is best for Night fishing and Full Moon is best for day fishing. In other words, if you have a choice, fish when the moon is down. During Full Moon the moon is down most of the day and during New Moon the moon is up during the day and down during the night. We have a ciscoe lake where 80+% of our Muskie catch is when the moon is down and we have fished it during both conditions.

Given the choice, I would pick the Full Moon period.
Cranker
Posted 7/28/2015 9:04 AM (#778122 - in reply to #778115)

Anywhere around a full/new moon our fishing productivity picks up, good time to throw a fat bastard.

Edited by Cranker 7/28/2015 9:04 AM
IAJustin
Posted 7/28/2015 11:51 AM (#778142 - in reply to #778045)

Summer most lakes I'd take a new moon with a stable weather pattern, Full moon can actually turn a bite tougher for the majority of the day.. giving you a short really intense window from my experience in the summer .. However, If you can get a full moon to coincide with water temps in the low 40's on a cisco/whitefish lake...it can be magic. Late fall given a choice I'll take a full moon.

Edited by IAJustin 7/28/2015 11:56 AM
BrianF.
Posted 7/28/2015 4:20 PM (#778175 - in reply to #778045)

Justin, when specifically do you find these short, intense bite windows to occur on the summer full moon?? Any rhyme or reason to them that you've seen??

Edited by BrianF. 7/28/2015 4:35 PM
IAJustin
Posted 7/28/2015 5:01 PM (#778178 - in reply to #778175)

not always a specific trigger...I'd be on a trophy spot moonrise/sunset in MN on a full moon in the summer though! Ive seen it happen enough you cant overlook a moonrise in the summer. I will say.. The moon is a little over hyped, its not a "magic wand" but its worth paying attention to., and some lakes more than others...Lake like LOTW im always on a good spot so I don't worry about it much there ..Vermilion or Mille Lacs you need all the advantages you can get - I actually often will avoid full moons in the summer anymore.. everyone has "read" its magic so lakes are often busier..

Edited by IAJustin 7/28/2015 5:06 PM
CiscoKid
Posted 7/28/2015 5:25 PM (#778181 - in reply to #778045)
Subject: RE: October NEW moon vs FULL moon period

Travisbrady86 - 7/27/2015 6:46 PM

Hey,
I'm planning a 3 or 4 day trip up to northern Wisconsin in October to fish my usual spots up there. Been going to this lake a few years now, and we've gone every week throughout October and into November over the years. I'm interested in seeing if there is any preference for planning a trip around either moon phase period. I realize local weather will trump any predictable moon phase activity, but since we cannot predict the weather so far in advance, the moon phase is the only variable I can plan around and hopefully have somewhat of an edge. We will be fishing all day, every day, and most likely do some night fishing as well. suicks, depthraiders, bulldawgs and ro tubes. suckers obviously. Any input is appreciated. Thanks.
Travis

I would look at your past results, take the best one, and see what the moon was like.

New moon or full moon doesn't much matter. I would take new,but that's because the full I will probably be in a tree stand.

Trying to plan a full with low 40's water temps, in Oct...might as forget it. It is a rarity, and not something you could plan.

Johnnie has some pretty good wisdom.
Travisbrady86
Posted 7/28/2015 8:22 PM (#778208 - in reply to #778045)

So it sounds like I need to think about the amount of time fishing day time hours, and night time hours. The trips usually mostly day fishing, but I was thinking of trying the night bite for a night too. Mostly day time fishing though, so I should probably fish the full moon period since the moon will be down during the days, and expect a possible slow bite during the night fishing under full moon? We did fish the week of full moon last year and the night bite was non existent the two nights we were out. Interesting stuff.
Travisbrady86
Posted 7/28/2015 8:26 PM (#778210 - in reply to #778045)

Seems like I always hear about how full moon in October and November is the best time to fish all season?
IAJustin
Posted 7/28/2015 8:45 PM (#778212 - in reply to #778210)

I think the "chatter" has more to do with the cisco spawn and trophy muskies following them... cisco's really like to spawn around the full moon when water temps are right.. The full moon this November is the 25th... lakes with cisco could freeze by then...with the full moon falling on Oct 27th this year -I'd pick that week for sure...years full moon is one of first two weeks of November would be a good consideration too.. These are generalizations with lakes with cisco... I fish a lake with shad and the November full moon has no effect what so ever on making fishing any better... the shad could care less
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)