Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> floro leader question

Message Subject: floro leader question
muskyroller
Posted 7/2/2015 9:22 AM (#774698)
Subject: floro leader question

I'm having some trouble making a pike lure "tooth proof." I tried 40lb seven strand wire and it threw the weight of the bait WAY off! It's the #11 shadow rap. Awesome bait, but I've already donated two to pike (one was nice!) and I don't feel like continuing to lose $7.75 just for a stinky pike. I've tried the "invisileader" brand and the bait didn't jump side to side like it does when it's tied to 30lb powerpro.

My next step, I think, is going floro. What is the lightest floro leader you would tie direct to a lure to prevent bite offs? I would be willing to retie every few fish if it meant a successful release and kept bait.

I'm determined to make it work, as I've caught big bass, walleyes, pike, huge crappies, and even big sunfish on them. Need to figure this out.

Thanks folks,
Steve
Will Schultz
Posted 7/2/2015 9:55 AM (#774706 - in reply to #774698)
Subject: Re: floro leader question

Three problems with flouro working for what you want"
1. It isn't tooth proof, even a small pike can get through 80# pretty easily.
2. It sinks which will change the lure action.
3. In the diameter that you'll need to make it tooth proof, it's stiff and you'll really impact the action of the lure.

Solution:
Find some Tyger leader or cortland toothy critter tieable wire. 15# is slightly larger diameter than your 30# PP and it's flexible. The important part is that you can/should tie it directly to your mainline and lure.
Jeremy
Posted 7/2/2015 10:03 AM (#774708 - in reply to #774698)
Subject: RE: floro leader question

I use 17# stranded, supple and knot-able wire in flyfishing for pike with light flies and don't get bitten off. I think that would work as you can use only what you need for length.

I use a simple easy and strong loop knot to allow the lure/fly to function as it should even with the wire. I have a note saved in my files on that knot --if you'd be interested shoot me a message and I'll go find it on my system or would put it up here. Not anything special but it works really well.

Jeremy.
MuskyNate27
Posted 7/2/2015 10:51 AM (#774715 - in reply to #774698)

I'd go with tie-able titanium...I've used Knot 2 Kinky, and the stuff is great. Knots aren't necessarily pretty, but the stuff holds. I use it for ice fishing, and have handled some monster pike on the stuff...also I don't think the weight will throw it off too much.
ammoman16
Posted 7/2/2015 1:38 PM (#774731 - in reply to #774698)

I would completely steer clear of the Knot2Kinky stuff. I've used it a bunch in the past and it will absolutely break. The only way I'd even consider it is if you plan on retying very frequently. Otherwise it gets stressed in relatively short order and breaks.
IAJustin
Posted 7/2/2015 2:32 PM (#774734 - in reply to #774731)

When I run small cranks and flies in pike country, I just use a light single stand wire and use a haywire twist, you can do it with your hands keep it around 7-8" long.... you will have the same action as no leader ..you will probably have to replace after every couple of fish but so what is like .10 cents a foot and takes 45 seconds to make a new leader.
jdsplasher
Posted 7/2/2015 11:16 PM (#774771 - in reply to #774734)

Will ; ^^^ above post knows his stuff. try his idea.^^^

Couple leaders I use are 49 strand AFW coated wire. Great for small cranks.

Also, if you can get some 40lb leader material from leaders and lures, think it is also a 21 or better strand, is limp as silk,+ strong! BUT expensive.

JD

ImpactFishing
Posted 7/3/2015 1:08 PM (#774808 - in reply to #774698)

20lb seagaur fluoro. Tie it to the main line with uni to uni knot, then tie fluoro to a snap, and snap to shadow rap. Bang done, don't need to mess around with wire or seven strand at all.
ski junkie
Posted 7/3/2015 1:30 PM (#774813 - in reply to #774808)

ImpactFishing - 7/3/2015 1:08 PM

20lb seagaur fluoro. Tie it to the main line with uni to uni knot, then tie fluoro to a snap, and snap to shadow rap. Bang done, don't need to mess around with wire or seven strand at all.

I would be concerned with that light fluoro getting nipped off and losing baits.
Jeremy
Posted 7/4/2015 7:11 AM (#774856 - in reply to #774808)

ImpactFishing - 7/3/2015 1:08 PM

20lb seagaur fluoro.Bang done, don't need to mess around with wire or seven strand at all.

As the kids would say...."REALLY??"

Unless you want to give up baits, of course.....
ImpactFishing
Posted 7/4/2015 3:24 PM (#774888 - in reply to #774856)

I usually don't lose fish. I've caught pike up to 37" on 17 lb fluorocarbon leaders.
muskyroller
Posted 7/6/2015 3:15 PM (#775070 - in reply to #774698)

Great stuff here guys...thank you! I tried a "rapala knot" this weekend. It worked, but still not the action I was looking for. So, back to the drawing board. Jeremy, I'm going to give your ideas a shot and IAJustin...funny you mentioned a "haywire twist." I was looking through youtube videos and that came up for shark fishing. I thought that would work on a smaller scale. I will give that a try with some super light SS wire. Thanks guys!
Flambeauski
Posted 7/6/2015 4:11 PM (#775081 - in reply to #774698)

On the advice of a guide I use 50lb fluoro for my bite leader and haven't had a failure (knocking on wood).
I do retie every couple hours or every fish, and have had several completely engulf my fly.
If anyone knows of a wire that doesn't sink or kink, I'm all ears. Every attempt I've made with wire has either kinked and broke or killed the action on my flies.
DavyMc
Posted 7/6/2015 8:31 PM (#775122 - in reply to #774698)

Flambeauski try this one, my friend put me on to it for pike fly fishing, it will eventually need replacing but last long enough! Very light in weight and straightens with a pull mostly, we tie direct to the fly hook.

http://www.fliesonline.co.uk/pike-flies/authanic-wire/
lifeisfun
Posted 7/7/2015 4:51 AM (#775153 - in reply to #774808)

ImpactFishing - 7/3/2015 2:08 PM

Ouch....
ESOX Maniac
Posted 7/7/2015 6:55 AM (#775159 - in reply to #775153)

Try 80lb Hi-Seas Fluorocarbon, its tougher than all the others (more tooth resistant), but also harder to tie by hand. I tie mine direct to my main line with nail knots using a knot tyer and tie a real double lock snap at the end. If I need a barrel swivel for a bucktail or spoon, I put it directly on the lure with a split ring and attach the snap to the barrel swivel. Walleye, smallies, etc. none of them seem to care about the 80lb fluoro, and I've been using it since ~ 2003. You do have to watch out and make sure you get the knot very tight at the snap attachment point or it will wear through the fluoro (thats the problem with leader loops in the fluoro also). I usually superglue that knot so it can't wear there, and retie a new leader every time it gets nicked or I feel its time to put on a fresh one.

If you are losing action on a lure, try using extra large split rings on it, instead of loops. I use large saltwater split rings on some of mine now, thanks to some excellent advice from my good friend Beaver Slivinski (Beaver here on MF).

I also tie the 25lb and 65lb Knot2Kinky, and have not seen any issues with it except when I was learning how I wanted to tie it (I don't use their suggested knots). Perhaps its how you are tightening your knots? You have to be very careful. Titanium will break at any point that it gets nicked with pliers, etc. Its kind of the same principle as cutting glass, the nick creates a stress shear point. Even a small micro nick will cause a failure, a fish tooth won't do it!

The Tiger stuff is also a great option, in reality a 25lb leader is more than enough for most fisherman. Unless you want to recover lures by lifting logs off the bottom of the lake or straightening the hooks....

Have fun!
Al

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(Cedar Lake Trip 020A.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Cedar Lake Trip 020A.jpg (142KB - 464 downloads)
Herb_b
Posted 7/9/2015 1:08 PM (#775576 - in reply to #774698)

I started using Berkely Big Game mono leader for saltwater fishing and have found that it works just as well as flouro and is much less expensive. I typically use 80 or 100 lb for larger fish such as Grouper, Tarpon, Barracuda, Redfish and King fish and 40 or 60 lb for smaller inshore fish like whiting, jacks, Pompano, etc. I keep an eye for nicks and retie if necessary.

I have found a good knot is very important and the Orvis knot to be one of the stongest and easiest to tie heavy mono/ flouro. http://www.animatedknots.com/orvis/

In freshwater, I use 40 lb for panfish and bass and 80 lb for small plastics while fishing for PIke and Muskies and haven't lost a fish yet. Interesting thing is the best lures in the saltwater also catch a lot of freshwater fish.

Here is a link to the mono leader:
http://www.basspro.com/Berkley-Big-Game-Monofilament-Leader/product...

Here are my favorite saltwater lures:
Storm Wild Eye Swim Shads in 3 and 4 inch:
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fishing/Soft-Baits/Rigged-Plastic-Sw...
Berkely Power Bait Swim Baits in 3 and 4 inch:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/34873362?productRedirect=true
muskyroller
Posted 7/9/2015 3:55 PM (#775609 - in reply to #774698)

So, I went with the 17lb supple, tie-able wire. tied up two using a loop knot/rapala knot and the action seemed good. I'll keep messing with it.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)