Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> When do You fish the slop?

Message Subject: When do You fish the slop?
kdawg
Posted 4/15/2015 6:22 PM (#765023)
Subject: When do You fish the slop?

I've read articles on the subject before but, it's always good for added opinions. On a couple of the lakes I fish, there are large back water and finger bays that weed up heavily by early summer. Map info would generally state the areas are good for pike early in the year, and bass throughout summer if anglers use weed less techniques. I usually concentrate on the traditional areas of the lake and if I have no action or follows, returning when conditions are more favorable, low-light, less pressure, etc. I always say to myself ,I should give the shallow weeds a try, but I never do. Do any of you head to the slop at the beginning of your daily game plan? Or do u leave it as an option? And in your opinions, what kind of characteristics does a slop bay need to hold fish? Kdawg
jonnysled
Posted 4/15/2015 6:30 PM (#765024 - in reply to #765023)
Subject: Re: When do You fish the slop?

hard cold front ... when you find the bluegills all piled up in there warming up, the muskies aren't far away.

i always like spots that are close to deep water.

Edited by jonnysled 4/15/2015 6:32 PM
ARmuskyaddict
Posted 4/15/2015 9:23 PM (#765048 - in reply to #765023)

Not all sloppy areas are the same, but listen to ^^^ guy. When I see 3 boats fishing the same weedline within an hour, I head to the slop adjacent to said weedline, no matter what the weather or temps have been. Map the slop, you will find some deeper areas and pockets, then focus on those. They will be always be there, and I believe on more heavily pressured areas they are pushed in there. It almost paid of BIGGG for me, and has paid off nicely multiple times in my limited experience.
lehighmuskies
Posted 4/16/2015 6:07 AM (#765078 - in reply to #765023)

Whats your best bait for the slop?
KenK
Posted 4/16/2015 8:23 AM (#765100 - in reply to #765023)

I fish the slop every time I go in and out on my home water. I'm on a shallow flowage and I have to go out that way to get to the main lake anyway. I normally use a MH bass rod, a bait caster spooled with 65 LB braid, a small homemade solid wire about 4 inches in length with no snaps or swivels, and a Weed Demon lure. I have caught muskies up to 48 inches on this setup. I throw it as far back into the slop and target the small pockets in the weeds. It may be a bass lure but it holds up to big muskies.
jonnysled
Posted 4/16/2015 8:48 AM (#765107 - in reply to #765023)

spinner baits with willow leaves

baby depth raiders ... file the lips and make em sharp, then rip with rod tip up. they cut through the weeds like a ginsu and twitch before they pause.

Leviathan
Posted 4/16/2015 12:21 PM (#765149 - in reply to #765023)

On the metro lakes I fish the slop starts producing once the crazy pleasure boaters and jet skis come out. This usually happens around mid day so I assume the shade and cover keep them happy. Grinding or slow rolling through the weeds with a single hook willow blade spinner bait seems to work the best for me.
WiscoMusky
Posted 4/21/2015 10:45 PM (#765870 - in reply to #765023)

cold fronts for sure. I have one particular spot that i fish every year- the entire bay is so thick you can almost walk across it. I like using figure 8 spinner baits, big bass style frog baits like the river2sea dahlberg frog... havent used em, but the bucher slopmaster devil spoons look alright as well
Slamr
Posted 4/22/2015 4:41 PM (#765977 - in reply to #765023)

When I'm with Steve Worrall?
esoxaddict
Posted 4/22/2015 6:25 PM (#765993 - in reply to #765023)

When the person I am fishing with insists on it. I know it can be productive, but it is NOT my favorite way of fishing. Even with the right lures, I get tired of ripping lures through the weeds and getting fouled up every other cast.

Yeah, they're in there. Great. I'll bother them when they go somewhere easier to fish...

I admit, the creature thing has sparked my interest. I'm pretty sure I'd get over my aversion to it if we started having great success at it. But...
sworrall
Posted 4/22/2015 7:57 PM (#766006 - in reply to #765977)

Slamr - 4/22/2015 4:41 PM

When I'm with Steve Worrall?

I do fish the 'stuff' allot.

Best lure in the slop I have used? A Violent Strike Slither. I think maybe 6 exist. More will exist soon.
Justin Gaiche
Posted 4/24/2015 9:10 PM (#766552 - in reply to #765023)
Subject: RE: When do You fish the slop?

I have seen instances where slop fishing in mid, late day can be excellent all summer when dealing with high traffic waters. Especially in popular tourism waters with channels like the Eagle River Chain for example I believe the heavy boat traffic can push fish further up into cover than we can imagine. These high traffic areas can also be the least pressured spots in regards to fishing. Spinnerbaits (I really like double willow leaf Grim Reapers) are a great but I love ripping unweighted Suicks in pockets above all.
Average Joe
Posted 4/30/2015 3:16 PM (#767407 - in reply to #766552)

This has been a technique that has eluded me the last few years. As most muskie fishermen, I've become conditioned to fishing traditional structure i.e. EDGES) Weather they're weed edges or break lines we've been conditioned to approach classic structure, which sometimes means totally neglecting the SLOP!! I'm totally excited to give this a try this year, but I've been kinda lost on how to approach it.

Where do you position the boat etc?... You say not all slop isn't the same, so I ask how do you look for, and know what GOOD SLOP is? I've heard some good ideas on baits, but I was wondering if JIG/Creature combo would work in this instance too? I'm thinking of give it a shot on a local body of water, is there a difference between lake slop and river slop? I ask because the first time I fished a local body of water ( which is a river system), which also was mostly slop I got my a** handed to me, so I really want to go out and make up for it.
Masqui-ninja
Posted 5/1/2015 7:53 PM (#767539 - in reply to #767407)

I'm curious about this too. What do you mean by "slop"? Are we talkin' Bass fishing slop?...because you would never get a spinnerbait through that stuff.

More weeds than water? 5 f.o.w. with surface matting maybe?

I fish shallow 5'-7' stuff with Chara, Coontail and Wild Rice edges but never really considered that slop.
BMuskyX
Posted 5/1/2015 8:31 PM (#767542 - in reply to #765023)

I fish the slop with a Bucher original slopmaster spinnerbait used more as a topwater through the thick stuff and let it drop just below the surface in any pocket, sometimes sliding it right over the junk laying on the surface.....I've done pretty well with this technique.

Jaimy
Rudedog
Posted 5/5/2015 9:27 AM (#767816 - in reply to #765023)

When I am bass fishing.
7ovr50
Posted 5/13/2015 8:11 PM (#768723 - in reply to #765023)

Grinding willow leaf spinner baits through the thickest stuff it will come through. Awesome results both in size and numbers
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)