Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Seasonal Blooming Patterns and Musky Fishing

Message Subject: Seasonal Blooming Patterns and Musky Fishing
Stranger2bluewater
Posted 4/15/2015 8:54 AM (#764934)
Subject: Seasonal Blooming Patterns and Musky Fishing

Most people seem to use water temperature to predict musky behavior--spawning, post-spawn, etc. The biology part of this forum seemed to indicate that day length or photoperiodism may be the most important factor in musky spawning. Water temperature seems fairly unreliable especially if we are stuck measuring surface water temperature.

Many fly fisherman use the seasonal blooming of various plants to help predict hatches of insects and guide fishing strategy. Does anyone do this with musky fishing?
NCmusky
Posted 4/15/2015 7:32 PM (#765029 - in reply to #764934)
Subject: Re: Seasonal Blooming Patterns and Musky Fishing

<p>I use it and it works, but its just a general rule as all lakes and rivers are different. Have seen fish spawning early(March 9th) and just daffodills were in bloom(very warm week of weather). When you see trees starting to bud (red maples, dogwoods, pears, red buds) you need to be fishing! Muskies are usually already moving shallow(to spawn) or moving to smaller creeks and rivers when trees start to bud.</p><p> I just drove from NC to PA and its amazing to see how much further along(about 3 1/2weeks) we are than you guys in WV. Saw lots of red maples budding in WV, so I would be out fishing! Pay attention where you see them this time of the year, because they can be very predictable and seen again in the same areas from year to year. </p><p>Heres a big pre-spawn fatty I caught. Several big fish (one a 41lber) came from this area, on the same date over multiple years. Relating to a certain bloom.</p>

Edited by NCmusky 4/15/2015 7:36 PM

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(IMG_1039CRPD2sml.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_1039CRPD2sml.jpg (298KB - 425 downloads)
Stranger2bluewater
Posted 4/17/2015 3:09 PM (#765290 - in reply to #764934)
Subject: Re: Seasonal Blooming Patterns and Musky Fishing

I think you are onto something good. The redbud is in bloom and the magnolias in my yard are flowering. Today I spotted a big musky cruising a shallow wedge edge in a small impoundment that I fish.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)