Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Seeing muskies on sonar?

Message Subject: Seeing muskies on sonar?
Matt DeVos
Posted 4/16/2015 10:55 AM (#765136 - in reply to #764778)
Subject: Re: Seeing muskies on sonar?

Have had it happen about a 1/2 dozen times or so on LOTW. Bring the bait in, figure 8, see nothing, fire off another cast only to look down at locator and see a big line, bring bait in quickly and start figure 8'ing and boom, musky eats.
scmuskies
Posted 4/16/2015 11:18 AM (#765139 - in reply to #765136)

Did not catch this one, but here's one tending a school of cisco (right side of screen).

sc

Edited by scmuskies 4/16/2015 11:20 AM

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(sonar_rsz.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments sonar_rsz.jpg (135KB - 909 downloads)
zombietrolling
Posted 4/16/2015 6:45 PM (#765184 - in reply to #764778)
Subject: RE: Seeing muskies on sonar?

Forgot about this pic. It followed in and after going around the eight once it disappeared. At the end of the next cast I see this on the sonar. I never did get that fish to eat.
Mikes Extreme
Posted 4/17/2015 8:32 AM (#765231 - in reply to #765131)

Seeing fish while jigging is very common and easy to learn how to use your electronics to your advantages .
Trolling and seeing fish then catching them is a little harder to predict and know which rod will get hit by that fish. You can see depth but don't know where it is in the cone. Could be left right front or back.
Seeing fish on side imaging takes lots of time and attention to detail but can be done. Planner boards are great to get these fish. You know the distance away from the boat by figuring out the side scan scale(60 ft scale) fish is in center of side scan screen = 30'. The shadow of the fish will help you determine dept of the fish. That's the hard part but you can learn to read this after a bunch of hours of watching and studying your electronics.
I have called out rods to watch as we trolled over fish lots of times and had them start ripping line just as I pointed them out.
You can also judge size of the fish to some extent. Large fish of to the side of the cone angle will not show up so large. Just as a smaller fish might show up larger if its dead center of the cone.
Trusting and knowing your electronics is one of the most important tools we all have in our boat. Spending the time to learn your electronics to your best ability is something 90% or more fishermen do not do. 50% only know the basics I would bet.

For suckers and jigging its a blast to watch your graph. The anticipation before the strike is awsome. But the letdown also comes into play as a muskie chases around your sucker then leaves. All in all your electronics are the best tools in your boat. Learn to use them and understanding everything they can tell you will put more fish in your boat than any other piece of equipment you own

Junkman
Posted 4/17/2015 9:34 AM (#765242 - in reply to #764778)

After reading Mike's (extreme) post above, Jon Bondy's, all the screen shots guys post....I get the feeling that there are a bunch of the folks here who have figured a lot of this out already. To their credit, probably many figured it out all by themselves too. Naturally, some actually make their living at this and I know a lot of electricians who can wire a whole #*^@ house too. And, I'll take credit for being able to re-wire a lamp--no problem at all. But I suspect, a lot of guys have never seen these images on their own screens, and have in fact, most depended on their graphs to keep their prop from hitting the bottom of the lake while they wonder about those fish-shaped images they have selected. Trust me, I've spent some time with this, I've been to Dr. Sonar's all-day class twice, I watched Gregg Thomas give his seminars on electronics (and he's likely not too far behind Dr. Bruce Sampson) but I think this is still harder than it looks for a lot of guys. And, the new Ranger I ordered will still have an 1199 Bird at the console because I am just not ready for the newer (beter?) touch screens and the "next-gen" world just right at this minute. Like most of these subjects, "Not all of us are where some of us are!" I am positive that some of you guys are saying, "I don't see this crap on my unit," and I say that because, frankly, It took me a long #*^@ time before I was seeing this crap on my unit! And, I still think I'm pretty darn bad at it, when some young punk gets in my boat (that would be you Kyle) and messes up my unit so bad (doing stuff that young guys do) that I can't put it back to where I can find the bottom without a full system reset. (even though I think 3.5 MPH is too fast for the best use of SI) So, if you other guys (guys who took remedial math like me, and were told to learn a trade where I could work with my hands) are thinking....yea I don't see that crap either,,,just take a darn class or get someone to teach you, and take my word for it....it is harder than it looks! And Mike Koepp?? He should just catch fish for his clients and please keep his shirt on while on the water....it's bad enough to watch him net all the fish on Pewaukee lake without having to see that too!
Mark Hoerich
Posted 4/17/2015 1:32 PM (#765281 - in reply to #765242)

I'm right there with you Marty...lol.
Mike makes it sound pretty easy, but I'm already working on being much better this season with my HBird electronics. I know I'm not getting everything out of them.
DI is very cool in the right hands...
8HPTROLLER
Posted 4/17/2015 3:33 PM (#765292 - in reply to #764778)

My son and I were trolling open water on Cedar (Ont.) last year when we noted a school of baitfish and a hook, followed by another school of baitfish and a second hook, immediately both rods went off and we boated a pair of chunky 40 inchers.
I see them on the screen often, but they usually don't eat.
Rich Wren
esoxriebe
Posted 4/18/2015 2:01 PM (#765383 - in reply to #764778)

Spencer Berman has a image of one on the side imaging and you can make out the gill plate and tail. It's pretty cool maybe he could post it here
Mikes Extreme
Posted 4/21/2015 10:53 AM (#765740 - in reply to #765281)

I am sorry if it sounded easy to use graphs and understand them to their full potential. My experience with my hummingbird goes back 7 years with lots of upgrades via downloads. Every time I downloaded the latest version I had to learn new stuff and set my graph up the way it best served my needs. I can tell you its not easy to learn these electronics but taking the time to understand them instead of just fishing helped me see the world under my boat and around it much clearer.

Side imaging was the hardest to understand. Using the side scan in areas I know extremely well has helped me to see what it looks like on the graph. Knowing how tall the weeds or structure is before I see it on the side scan helped me understand the shadows. By testing my graph interpretations and then going over the structure and checking it visually I was able to learn a lot.

My best advice to anyone looking to understand their electronics better is to go out on the lake, just play with them until you trust and know how they work. Or work with someone who has the same electronics you have and pay attention to every detail they show you.

Graphs can be customized and set up for the individual using them. I have helped many set up their graphs and showed them things they never adjusted or knew they could.

Are electronics easy to learn.....hell no. But how many of us will spend 10 to 20 hours learning every part of your graph once you get a new one. Most will not. They will get the basics and start fishing.

Jerry Newman
Posted 4/22/2015 10:03 PM (#766078 - in reply to #765740)

Identifying fish that you have a high degree of confidence in is cool, but to me the biggest advantage with the Lowrance structure scan is hands-down the efficiency it provides on the water. Being able to map out areas in less time is a huge advantage, something along the lines of the difference between cutting a large lawn with a 72” deck versus a push mower.

I think it's fairly easy to identify fish you think are muskies when you're moving slow, or even at trolling speed over deep water with conventional electronics.  However, the SS took it to a whole new level for me to quickly and accurately identify shallow water areas, and the bonus of seeing fish holding off to the side of the boat.  You can actually watch their movement as you make trolling passes sometimes…

Another advantage with the SS is that it allows for more precise trolling passes once you get things dial-in, it's almost like there's no water as I approach an area I am familiar with now.

For instance; when I used to troll open water weed beds without SS, I would just kind of go back and forth over them with the spread, never being exactly sure where my board rod baits were in relation to the weeds. Now my typical routine with SS is to put the 2 outside planer board lures right in the strike zone, with the boat off the side of the area for the first couple passes.  

When the fish are really on; I get a kick out of saying “watch those outside board rods” and then having one go off.

MuskieJim
Posted 4/23/2015 12:48 PM (#766224 - in reply to #764778)

Here's a giant sitting under some walleyes that were gorging on emeralds. The shiners were so thick that when you stomped on the bottom of the boat the surface exploded with fleeing baitfish.

(324FFFFB-82CD-40E4-A026-94F2472D7952_zpsvz9wbg4l.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 324FFFFB-82CD-40E4-A026-94F2472D7952_zpsvz9wbg4l.jpg (127KB - 589 downloads)
ESOX Maniac
Posted 4/24/2015 8:18 AM (#766384 - in reply to #765131)

BrainF - Shhhhhhhhhhhh! Secret technique - learn to use your sonar's. Side scanning is awesome advance. I'm not shure about 360deg scan yet - haven't ridden in boat with one. Yes- see them-target them........

Ask Spencer B. if you can spot them, we saw several muskies on my HB 997SI fishing on the first Presque Isle MF Outing... including a real big fish that was ~ 40' in front of Landy's boat. I shouted there was a big fish in front of his boat, we were idling along in opposite direction and headed out to the reefs on Clear. LOL- they were casting to shore, I don't think he believed me. Hit the middle reef ~ saw a muskie sitting on the south deep side transition line. Spencer brought her up on a LB'r Dog. My trolling batteries were shot from fighting wind all day, so I went to north side of the reef and let out anchor w/enough rope to put us over the spot - that I had marked on my SI HB. We had two suckers down at ~20-24' - A few minutes later my sucker comes to the surface and jumps out of the water - I laugh and say - "now thats a nervous sucker". A couple of casts later with deep water rubber bait (secret weapon) I feel a heavy weight, set hook & no bonanza. It was getting late for Sat night get together at the lodge, so we called it a day (Cocktail Hour) . We fished with Howie the next day and I brought the secret weapon w/ me and told Howie the story. He took it and bent it and showed us the teeth cuts, some impressive marks - LOL - he has that bait!

Shhhhhh - don't ask, don't tell!
Have fun!

Al
benckdb
Posted 4/24/2015 5:44 PM (#766495 - in reply to #764778)

This is the best image I have seen. Side image zoom shot that is really detailed. This was Trolling at night with a guide. Never caught it, but I often think about how big it might have been!

Edited by benckdb 4/24/2015 6:03 PM

(image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments image.jpg (135KB - 565 downloads)
tkuntz
Posted 4/24/2015 9:10 PM (#766553 - in reply to #764778)

That's amazing. I can't wait to get my new sonar on the water
169sportsman
Posted 11/15/2015 11:56 PM (#792644 - in reply to #764778)

I believe this was a Muskie that followed my bait in. Never saw it though.

Attachments
----------------
Attachments image.jpeg (104KB - 708 downloads)
BNelson
Posted 11/16/2015 10:23 AM (#792669 - in reply to #764778)

happens a lot ... just yesterday had a few follows that came up on the locator late... 1 stayed 5 feet below the TM/locator..so I dropped my dawg down...watched it go down to the bottom with it... then jigged the dawg back up and a nice fat 43 was right on the dawgs tail... locators don't lie!

Edited by BNelson 11/16/2015 10:30 AM
musky513
Posted 11/16/2015 12:05 PM (#792683 - in reply to #764778)

I caught a 44" last night trolling that I saw on my side scan, pretty awesome to see the fish on the screen then get the rod dang near ripped out of your hand a few seconds later!!!
achotrod
Posted 11/16/2015 12:16 PM (#792686 - in reply to #764778)

Since I originally posted in this thread I upgraded my bow unit to a Helix 5 and have seen quite a few fish I believe were muskies. I have not caught the fish, but have seen them, and can now even see the bait when jigging when it enters the cone. Pretty cool stuff! Dont have any pics of the skis but have some of giant baitballs and jigging trails.
Musky952
Posted 11/16/2015 1:02 PM (#792695 - in reply to #764778)

Always fun to read the sonar and then look back to see if the suckers start freaking out. Went out with buddies yesterday on Tonka and we had a fish chase the sucker all they way to the boat and the bobber was drifting back a decent distance from the boat. =[

Still a very cool experience.

Sad to say I am very new to sucker fishing and something had gone wrong over the summer that loosened my little wheel next to the drag. So when I put everything into the fish the drag slipped and I wasn't able to keep pressure on the fish
zombietrolling
Posted 11/16/2015 8:07 PM (#792764 - in reply to #764778)

Saw this exact image while casting and had a follow a few casts later coming from the direction I drifted over. It went around a few times and then disappeared. After getting to the end of the flat, I went back up across the flat casting and I saw this. Didn't follow this time.

(XjXzAAP[1].jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments XjXzAAP[1].jpg (55KB - 509 downloads)
ffib
Posted 11/17/2015 8:06 PM (#792930 - in reply to #764778)

here is the best ive gotten:
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v332/ffib/c22fc89c-ba36-416c-ba6d-5a74dd1390f0.png[/IMG]

couple more:

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v332/ffib/95e1f88d-8d2c-4840-a10c-4f036af124ad.png[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v332/ffib/84d965d3-2b7a-45a0-bc22-8edf86cf75ad.png[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v332/ffib/shot%2026.png[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v332/ffib/shot%2035.png[/IMG]

and just for fun....

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v332/ffib/shot%2019.png[/IMG]

169sportsman
Posted 11/17/2015 11:41 PM (#792967 - in reply to #764778)

Those are some nice images!
10,000 Casts
Posted 11/18/2015 11:06 AM (#793013 - in reply to #792695)

Musky952 - 11/16/2015 1:02 PM
Sad to say I am very new to sucker fishing and something had gone wrong over the summer that loosened my little wheel next to the drag. So when I put everything into the fish the drag slipped and I wasn't able to keep pressure on the fish

Tip: Put your thumb on the spool when setting the hook on a sucker line. Even if you have the drag locked down it could still potentially slip on the hookset.
Jerry Newman
Posted 11/18/2015 11:24 AM (#793018 - in reply to #792967)

169sportsman - 11/17/2015 11:41 PM Those are some nice images!

I pulled this image from ffibs collection.

This is what a shallow water muskie looks like with a Lowrance side scan... basically just a white line and shadow.     

(muskie-pike.png)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments muskie-pike.png (16KB - 492 downloads)
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)