Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Humminbird Helix Series

Reply New post
Message Subject: Humminbird Helix Series
jaultman
Posted 4/8/2015 7:59 AM (#763952)
Subject: Humminbird Helix Series

Does anyone have experience with these on the water?
dfkiii
Posted 4/8/2015 8:02 AM (#763954 - in reply to #763952)
Subject: Re: Humminbird Helix Series

I'd be interested in hearing reviews as well as I'm looking at the SI model for my tin boat. Yes, I'm aware it can't be networked but as I will likely rig it as a portable unit that capability isn't necessary.
jaultman
Posted 4/8/2015 8:27 AM (#763961 - in reply to #763954)

My main questions are:
1. Is the 5" screen too small for use other than sitting right at your console? In my location I can't get my hands on one to try it out.
2. Are there any differences (or deficiencies) compared to the 899 or the other, larger h'birds?
3. Any bugs, glitches, general annoyances you've found?

It sure seems like a good buy if a guy doesn't need a huge screen. Any guesses as to why you can get it so much cheaper than the [seemingly] comparable 788 and 688 by Humminbird?

Thanks.
14ledo81
Posted 4/8/2015 8:44 AM (#763966 - in reply to #763954)

dfkiii - 4/8/2015 8:02 AM

I'd be interested in hearing reviews as well as I'm looking at the SI model for my tin boat. Yes, I'm aware it can't be networked but as I will likely rig it as a portable unit that capability isn't necessary.

I assume you are near Hayward.

The last time I was in L&M Fleet, they had a Helix on display. Not a SI model, but you could at least see the size and try the operation.
kjgmh
Posted 4/8/2015 8:46 AM (#763967 - in reply to #763952)

Only have had them out for a little while. They run the same menus as the other series, so navigating the screens is the same. It has a new mount that does not twist and pivot like the 6/700 series. You can adjust the pivot by loosening the retainers. The horizontal screen very clear and easy to read, but I don't think it is as sharp or bright as a 6/700 series. It is a stand alone unit, so you can not network it like the 700 series. It does not have any short cut keys. It has a micro SD card slot, not a SD card like the others. The cover for the micro SD is kind of cheesy, just a friction fit with no retainer. It uses the same power cables and transducers
tkuntz
Posted 4/8/2015 9:04 AM (#763970 - in reply to #763952)

Mine just shipped today. Hopefully I have a report back within a week or two.
jaultman
Posted 4/8/2015 10:11 AM (#763994 - in reply to #763967)

Thanks kjgmh, tkuntz please do report. Thanks.
ErockEsox
Posted 4/8/2015 12:16 PM (#764031 - in reply to #763952)

One of the gentleman at the Reeds booth at the NW sports show in Minneapolis also informed me that they will have a winter pack coming out for it and it has a built in flasher so you can have your flasher and a mapping system all in one. Seems like a winner to me. Just saving my pennies and hoping they don't sell out everywhere or something stupid like that.
BigSlamer
Posted 4/8/2015 3:54 PM (#764069 - in reply to #763952)

I got 1 SI and 1 DI unit for my boat this winter. Install was a piece of cake. They look like great models! The SI comes with a lot of features for the money! Love them so far! Will give an update after I take them on the water in a week or two!!!
mastical
Posted 4/20/2015 9:45 AM (#765587 - in reply to #763952)

Anybody have an update on the Si Helix?

I really want one but not sure if it is too small
toothycritter88
Posted 4/20/2015 10:18 AM (#765590 - in reply to #763952)
Subject: RE: Humminbird Helix Series

Heres my elite 7 hdi and helix 5 si mounted on my console on demo mode. Havent tried it on the water yet hopefully this weekend.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(PicsArt_1429542844859.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments PicsArt_1429542844859.jpg (112KB - 432 downloads)
jaultman
Posted 4/20/2015 11:16 AM (#765611 - in reply to #763952)

I messed around with it at Cabelas this weekend. I think when side imaging is on full screen mode, it is large enough to be helpful. Tried to buy one but they were sold out in both Twin Cities stores, so I'll be ordering online instead.

In fact, all the Helix models that have GPS were sold out. Hottest thing on the shelves, they said.
jaultman
Posted 4/20/2015 1:08 PM (#765637 - in reply to #765611)

Looks like this isn't compatible with Navionics Canada chip(s).

EDIT - customer service told me that they actually are compatible. The website doesn't explicitly say either way.
mastical
Posted 4/20/2015 7:13 PM (#765644 - in reply to #763952)

I ordered one today. now I just to figure out how to real the screen.
jaultman
Posted 4/21/2015 8:26 AM (#765711 - in reply to #763952)

I did too. It's on backorder... no idea how long it's going to take.
mastical
Posted 4/21/2015 9:34 AM (#765723 - in reply to #765711)

jaultman - 4/21/2015 8:26 AM

I did too. It's on backorder... no idea how long it's going to take.

9 out of 10 places i looked at were on back order, most until mid may(yikes)

i checked ebay and one store had put a few up just as i was looking.
tkuntz
Posted 4/21/2015 10:58 AM (#765745 - in reply to #763952)

Hopefully the strong debut of the helix 5 will lead to a helix 7 or 9 next year. Seems like a great alternative to spending 2k on a sonar
jaultman
Posted 4/21/2015 11:57 AM (#765761 - in reply to #765745)

Does anyone know why the Helix 5 is priced so much lower than the comparable 688ci?

The guy at cabelas said the only difference is the screen orientation. I find that hard to believe, but haven't dove into the specs of each to see for myself what's all different.

If the price increase from the Helix 5 to the hypothetical Helix 7 is comparable to the price difference from the 600 series to the 800 series, then that Helix 7 would really fly off the shelves.
tkuntz
Posted 4/21/2015 2:20 PM (#765798 - in reply to #763952)

The 688 has a better SI transducer. To my understanding the xx8 models have the better transducer while the helix and xx9 models have the cheaper one.
esox1980
Posted 4/28/2015 11:03 AM (#767010 - in reply to #763952)

Just ordered one from Gander, they are also running a rebate for 50 off and free shipping. In stock.
Propster
Posted 4/28/2015 11:53 AM (#767016 - in reply to #763952)

Do these units have GPS also, or just sonar?
mastical
Posted 4/28/2015 12:08 PM (#767017 - in reply to #763952)

They have 4 models that have gps.
http://www.humminbird.com/Freshwater/Product-Category/Series/HELIX-...
jaultman
Posted 4/28/2015 1:38 PM (#767025 - in reply to #767017)

got mine in the mail yesterday! hope to have some on-the-water experience by Monday.
zombietrolling
Posted 4/29/2015 6:34 PM (#767190 - in reply to #763952)

Put one on a couple weeks ago and the Di is pretty good, I haven't been able to figure out the SI yet. The screen is nice when you are right over it but from the other end of my boat, my weak eyes can only read the big digit mode but it is a major step up from my old one. Would recommend.
dfkiii
Posted 5/2/2015 5:20 PM (#767593 - in reply to #763952)

Had my Helix SI out on the water for the first time today. Overall I'm very impressed though I need to work with the SI a bit more to get it dialed in. The only issue I had was that I lost all readings including depth after about 7mph. Other than that I'd say it's a great value for the money.
mastical
Posted 5/3/2015 10:33 AM (#767657 - in reply to #763952)

I got to test mine out a little yesterday. I like to SI but I didn't get too much detail because we don't have weeds yet.

I had trouble seeing the screen while the sun was shining on it tho. I must have to change the screen brightness or something.

It's definitely a small screen but beats paying $500 more for a 900 series.
jaultman
Posted 5/4/2015 7:38 AM (#767720 - in reply to #767657)

I too tested mine out over the weekend. Didn't get as much focused time as I'd like, since I had my two little kids and wife with me, so I'll spend more time later on. Initial observations/opinions:

The 5" screen is big enough for me, for what I'll be doing with it. I have a small boat and when I'll be making use of the side and down imaging, I'll be sitting at the console. It was a bright sunny day when I was out, and I'd agree with others that the side/down imaging screens seem dim in direct sunlight, but I have to admit I didn't adjust the contrast or anything, which you can do, and I didn't try different color schemes. The charting and sonar screens are plenty bright in all light conditions.

Cartography - I bought the Lakemaster MN PLUS chip. The mapping is great for the lake I was on and for the few other lakes I looked at so far. I like the default color scheme, and the satellite image overlay options are awesome too. The GPS kept perfect track of my boat position even when barely moving (under 0.5 mph) - that was a big concern of mine, as I've used sonar/GPS units that lose track of you when you're moving slow. I was a little disappointed with the time it takes to update the screen when you zoom in and out. There's probably a 3 to 5 second delay.

Side imaging - at depths <25' and at slow speeds, I was surprised how well I could see what was going on. Softer bottom areas were hard to read, though. Where it shined best seemed to be in the 15-ft-range with flat, hard bottom. Actually, I could see breaks nicely too, but off the drop-off side, you don't see much for bottom features. On the "up-hill" side, you can see stuff clearly. At one point I went over a school of baitfish off to one side, then moved over and went over top and was able to get them on down-imaging. I do believe I need to adjust my transducer pitch, as both the side and down imaging weren't returning as-strong-as-expected signals. Also, when cruising fast, the transducer was spraying water into the boat, so I KNOW I have to adjust it at least for that purpose.

One big bummer is that my motor, when fully tilted down, blocks some of the portside water. Basically, I can graph anything straight down, out to maybe 40 degrees to that side. If I trim the motor up just a ways, I get the full spectrum. I had worries about this while installing the transducer. Not really sure if I can move the transducer to fix this issue - I don't think so.

The standard sonar imagery seemed great. With sonar and chart side-by-side, I felt very, very satisfied with this graph. Nice, clear screen, good cartography, great GPS tracking, nice sonar reading.

I will be tinkering with it more later.

Does anyone know what the ideal transducer installation looks like? I believe I have it placed and aligned just like the manual suggested, but it's spraying water and I THINK getting less than optimal side and down imaging signal return.
lifeisfun
Posted 5/4/2015 10:42 AM (#767740 - in reply to #763952)

I would like to install one on my casting deck but my trolling motor doesn't have built in transducer so I will have to order the trolling motor mount.
Is it better to get the Minnkota MKR-15 or Humminbird 7400871 AD XTM 9 mount?
I guess another option would be to get XTM 9 DI 25 T transducer but that is expensive.
Would you recommend Di only or will be Si useful as well? The main sonar 997 has already Si

Thanks

EDIT
Wow, what a disappointment, HB is mow charging $60 to exchange the transom mount transducer for trolling motor transducer
http://www.humminbird.com/Category/Support/FAQ/TransducerExchange/
esox1980
Posted 5/4/2015 1:39 PM (#767758 - in reply to #767720)

http://www.humminbird.com/Category/Support/FAQ/SI_Transducer/

I have moved mine three times now, still having issues with the side imaging. I couldn't find a picture in the FAQ sheet on hummingbird but their is one for every other boat. If anyone has any advise for mounting SI on a esox mag feel free to let me in on the secret.

I liked the Helix 5. Its sonar is a little hard to read compared to the 788c. Does not mark secondary hard bottom as well. I am still tinkering with the advanced settings so when I get it dialed in hopefully it meets all expectations. The down imaging is the real issue I have right now. The output is week and having trouble even marking or picking up bottom. Hopefully it all comes down to the transducer placement. The water does shoot up out of most of the hummingbird mounts. A couple of winds of black electrical tape over the void between the transducer and the mounting plate usually minimizes the jet spray.
jaultman
Posted 5/4/2015 3:39 PM (#767767 - in reply to #767758)

esox1980 - 5/4/2015 1:39 PM
The water does shoot up out of most of the hummingbird mounts. A couple of winds of black electrical tape over the void between the transducer and the mounting plate usually minimizes the jet spray.

My package had a separate soft plastic plug for that very opening, with separate instructions on fitting it in. I had that piece left over after getting everything installed, and knew for sure I didn't miss anything in the main install'n packet, then noticed a separate yellow sheet showing how to plug that opening. Weird. Still getting the spray though. Not a huge issue, but if I have a starboard side passenger behind me, he'll get wet.

I agree that either the DI signal is weak or it's tough to align the transducer perfectly. It's only effective in less than 15 or 20 feet of water for me so far.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)