Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 4 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Muskies on "River Monsters" 4/5

Message Subject: Muskies on "River Monsters" 4/5
Musky Brian
Posted 4/8/2015 7:43 PM (#764095 - in reply to #763891)
Subject: Re: Muskies on "River Monsters" 4/5

DonPursch - 4/7/2015 8:26 PM

YA know I was NOT going to do this but here goes
First of all he had NEVER fished Muskies be for he had no clue as to what was involved
Improper Rod and reel he had to use specific equipment
Had NO boat side what's so ever
We had 43 fish to the boat in that time a true shot at a 50+ every day we were out
That's a fact and caught (2)
Why they did not use ANY of that stuff I do not know there was so many great things that happend and where not shown I just don't know and I had no clue what the out come was going to be. I'm not defending any one nor justifying any actions here I'm just sharing some of the things that REALLY did happend. This is some of what REALLY happened. Thanks for reading Don

If anyone has watched ALL of his shows in the past, this makes sense....the general formula is he spends the whole time searching for the one fish.....catches a few other species beforehand, and MAYBE gets 1 very small sample size of said targeted species....showing him catch 3 45-"52" ( just estimating what they were)muskies, as an example, wouldn't fit the formula for his show which is a long search and catching the one fish at the end before the credits roll. Having that lone fish be caught on a spinning rod after dropping some Redman on the rock is a lot more drama for the average TV dope then watching him fight a musky for .20 seconds on standard broomstick rods....
Booch
Posted 4/8/2015 10:26 PM (#764125 - in reply to #763507)

Wow, just watched the show... all I can say is really?? He spends some "brutal" time on Eagle and Rowan, and then after being beat down, decides to go drop some tobacco and a minnow on Spirit Rock, and lands a 50"??

BS. He caught that fish on the first day he visited Spirit Rock by accident, like so many other walleye fisherman have done. Then used his movie-making craftsmanship to add drama.

And in the process, at least in my opinion, shamefully took advantage of Don Pursch and Rowan Lake. I've never been there (it's on my list to visit), but based on my years fishing the shield lakes, the odds are slim to none that even the worst angler could spend a week with a reputable lodge owner guiding on a reputable lake, and not see a fish for 5 days!

Sorry for what they did, Don. I think any musky angler, of any experience, knows his story was total BS.
Propster
Posted 4/8/2015 11:04 PM (#764133 - in reply to #763507)

You may not have read Dons post. They had 43 fish up that week.
sworrall
Posted 4/8/2015 11:20 PM (#764137 - in reply to #763507)

Does anyone here actually think that show was aired for Muskie anglers?

It's 'reality' TV for people who think they might like to fish.

Ronix
Posted 4/9/2015 6:07 AM (#764146 - in reply to #764125)

Booch - 4/8/2015 11:26 PM

Wow, just watched the show... all I can say is really?? He spends some "brutal" time on Eagle and Rowan, and then after being beat down, decides to go drop some tobacco and a minnow on Spirit Rock, and lands a 50"??

BS. He caught that fish on the first day he visited Spirit Rock by accident, like so many other walleye fisherman have done. Then used his movie-making craftsmanship to add drama.

And in the process, at least in my opinion, shamefully took advantage of Don Pursch and Rowan Lake. I've never been there (it's on my list to visit), but based on my years fishing the shield lakes, the odds are slim to none that even the worst angler could spend a week with a reputable lodge owner guiding on a reputable lake, and not see a fish for 5 days!

Sorry for what they did, Don. I think any musky angler, of any experience, knows his story was total BS.

Don spoke pretty highly of Jeremy as well as the experience. Sounds like you're taking the episode a biiiiit too personally...
ToddM
Posted 4/9/2015 6:56 AM (#764151 - in reply to #763507)

Who said internet was over.......
curleytail
Posted 4/9/2015 8:45 AM (#764178 - in reply to #763507)

I liked the show ok. We have the remember, it's TV!!!!! Think about all the reality TV people watch now. I bet if anybody knew the behind the scenes BS going on during one of those shows it would be hard to believe, or maybe not but it would be pretty far from reality I am sure.

They followed the same theme as always for the show. They find a myth or legend of some sort. Then they investigate, and THEN, Jeremy comes up with a fairly logical answer to explain the myth or legend. In this case, it was that some people might be seeing muskies and using them to create the legend of some giant monster. Some of it was amped up, yeah. They do that to make a show out of it. They have to, to reach the majority of the target audience. It's not a saturday morning fishing show, it's a show to entertain people.

I have to say it was a little funny to hear some of the things they said, and how the musky was described, but again, it's a TV show that knows what they have to do to get ratings. When "real" fishing shows always seem to end with the biggest fish, do you think they really caught the biggest fish at the end of filming? When the hunting shows always tag out 30 minutes before they have to get on a plane to go somewhere else, do you think it really happened that way?

Overall it was good. I was hoping to see more musky action, but looking back that probably would not have fit the general format of the show.

Tucker
Booch
Posted 4/9/2015 8:53 AM (#764181 - in reply to #764146)

Ronix - 4/9/2015 6:07 AM
Don spoke pretty highly of Jeremy as well as the experience. Sounds like you're taking the episode a biiiiit too personally...

Thanks for the assessment.

It's not a fishing show, I know that. It's entertainment. I just think it's a little crappy that they dropped names in a fictional portrayal, since these lodges depend on publicity for their livelihood.

I'm guessing Don wasn't too happy to see the 43 follows excluded, so the show could climax with the minnow'd musky. But, maybe I'm wrong.
esoxaddict
Posted 4/9/2015 1:08 PM (#764219 - in reply to #763507)

Think about your average week of musky fishing. Even if you filmed all day for the entire week and condensed that into an hour of footage, would it be entertaining enough to watch? Maybe for us musky morons it would be, but would the average viewer leave it on for more than 15 minutes? More importantly, would that combined footage make anyone who has never fished for muskies before want to drive 800 miles to Canada and spent a week at some lodge somewhere?
Mark Hoerich
Posted 4/9/2015 3:41 PM (#764230 - in reply to #764151)

ToddM - 4/9/2015 6:56 AM

Who said internet was over.......

Big sigh...."reality" TV..? Wow.
ToddM
Posted 4/9/2015 3:47 PM (#764232 - in reply to #763507)

Should have read winternet, dam auto correct!
kdawg
Posted 4/9/2015 5:31 PM (#764244 - in reply to #764232)

It's season number 7 for River Monsters. Obviously a very successful T.V. show. I would love to have Jeremy's Wade's job. Kdawg
lifeisfun
Posted 4/10/2015 1:53 PM (#764348 - in reply to #763507)

Not sure if it was posted before, but here is the whole thing (as it was produced )
https://youtu.be/34SZM--CjYY

Edited by lifeisfun 4/10/2015 2:59 PM
nar160
Posted 4/10/2015 10:12 PM (#764432 - in reply to #763507)

I thought the show was by far the best introduction to muskie fishing I've seen on TV. A colleague of mine actually told me about it at work, and I looked it up online and watched it. What struck me about it is that he (and presumably other viewers) took away a lot of the key points - it described how the pursuit quickly turns into an obsession, the beauty and remoteness of NW Ontario, catching plenty of pike but no muskies(!), follows but not bites (good footage too), and just how mentally challenging it can be at times. He noted how Jeremy handled the fish after catching it and how his spirits turned around - I can definitely empathize with that. Overall I thought the latter part of the show was a great portrayal of muskie fishing.

The first half of the show doesn't really have anything to do with muskie fishing. It's an investigation of a myth that ultimately leads to muskies.
Leviathan
Posted 4/13/2015 11:02 AM (#764656 - in reply to #763507)

I have a good feeling we'll see a revisit episode from Mr. Wade in the near future. No way a guy with his level of determination can walk away with only 2 fish and 40 some follows like Don said. His reaction to his 48 was priceless, If he does make it to this forum, maybe he can get even more on tape next time with all the knowledge we have here.

Or like was said before, he could just spend a month at LSC and have enough footage for a whole season. Lol

Edited by Leviathan 4/13/2015 11:03 AM
Propster
Posted 4/13/2015 12:28 PM (#764663 - in reply to #763507)

I think Don said he's booked for two weeks or a month this year!!
Captain
Posted 4/14/2015 1:14 PM (#764842 - in reply to #763507)

Some of you guys aren't easily entertained. Its more of a reality show than most reality shows. My kids absolutely LOVE his show. In fact, I had to record the series for them which I normally do not watch. Then I came here and heard all the pub so obviously I had to watch it. My kids, none of whom have been with me while musky fishing, ALL want to go and try and catch one now.
This just got a lot more expensive for me, thanks a lot Jeremy Wade!
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 4 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)