Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 3 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Muskies on "River Monsters" 4/5

Message Subject: Muskies on "River Monsters" 4/5
jchiggins
Posted 4/6/2015 11:40 PM (#763712 - in reply to #763707)
Subject: Re: Muskies on "River Monsters" 4/5

jonnysled - 4/6/2015 11:10 PM

don't think i'm implying doubt to anyone there ... the doubt is based on the embelleshed b.s. that the show builds. what in the show can you believe? it was riddled with nonsense so which nonsense is true and which isn't ... that was the point.

watch the show with a play by play and drink every time he flat out lies, stretches the truth or embellished something and tell me you can still say your name. of course the drink should be a crown and coke ...
why would you wreck crown with coke?
ToddM
Posted 4/7/2015 7:09 AM (#763726 - in reply to #763507)

Now I have to go and watch this show. Having been told by someone that he seen a musky grab a swimming deer by the head, why wouldn't one of these river monsters take down a canoe? #*#* I have a kayak. Could I be sitting in a death trap?

Edited by ToddM 4/7/2015 7:10 AM
rodbender
Posted 4/7/2015 7:30 AM (#763730 - in reply to #763726)

Make sure to tune into the season finale. Jeremy snags yeti eating alien in the everglades using vintage zebco 33.
Natureboy
Posted 4/7/2015 9:53 AM (#763763 - in reply to #763507)

Saw the episode last night, could not believe he kept that fish on when it broke water! I wonder how long it really took him to land it considering "he said" he was using 6lb test? I thought for sure he was going to come up empty handed by the end. I did think it was kind of cool when he described himself as being physically exhausted, but his mind still thinking about the possibility of a big musky coming out of nowhere to crush his bait. I personally have felt that way, and unlike other shows where it's one musky after another, the reality of going to Canada for an extended period of time and coming home with crippled hands and a sore shoulder was evident. I could have done without the rest of the show, but entertaining nonetheless.
lhprop1
Posted 4/7/2015 3:21 PM (#763828 - in reply to #763726)

ToddM - 4/7/2015 7:09 AM

Now I have to go and watch this show. Having been told by someone that he seen a musky grab a swimming deer by the head, why wouldn't one of these river monsters take down a canoe? #*#* I have a kayak. Could I be sitting in a death trap?

Giant suckers? Pffft. Does Thorne Bros make a rod that will cast a live deer?
Flambeauski
Posted 4/7/2015 3:27 PM (#763831 - in reply to #763828)

lhprop1 - 4/7/2015 3:21 PM

ToddM - 4/7/2015 7:09 AM

Giant suckers? Pffft. Does Thorne Bros make a rod that will cast a live deer?

You just need the head...
Dan Klis
Posted 4/7/2015 3:53 PM (#763839 - in reply to #763831)

I was actually contacted by the show last summer as they wanted to discuss injuries that occur during muskie fishing. They found an old post by me when I got handcuffed to a 52. I sent the email to Doug Johnson. Actually spoke with one of the producers, but nothing came out it. Which was good I guess....I really didn't want to reinact that scene. LOL

Edited by Dan Klis 4/7/2015 3:59 PM
DonPursch
Posted 4/7/2015 4:27 PM (#763844 - in reply to #763712)

I'm just sayin that it was a very crazy time with these folks
ToddM
Posted 4/7/2015 5:02 PM (#763848 - in reply to #763507)

Going to grow a pair and just quick strike rig myself next fall!
Long TIme Lurker
Posted 4/7/2015 5:18 PM (#763850 - in reply to #763507)
Subject: RE: Muskies on "River Monsters" 4/5

With the evolution of large lures I honestly think they have seen white tail bucks buzzing over their heads all day. I'm kinda a big fish guy so I was wondering what reel I should buy to rig a bull moose?

Goto go, trying to get trash can lids on a broomstick and need to shave my wife's head for a skirt
mnmusky
Posted 4/7/2015 5:26 PM (#763854 - in reply to #763507)
Subject: RE: Muskies on "River Monsters" 4/5

this might work.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(images (2).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments images (2).jpg (9KB - 373 downloads)
jonnysled
Posted 4/7/2015 5:34 PM (#763855 - in reply to #763854)

notice he never motor trolled whilst sipping a cocktail ...
GIERAT
Posted 4/7/2015 5:39 PM (#763856 - in reply to #763855)

Good grief?! I spent all this money on lures and all ya need is a jig and minnow!?

Sheesh.
Cowboyhannah
Posted 4/7/2015 8:04 PM (#763882 - in reply to #763507)

5 days fishing around the clock without a single sighting of the great beast on Rowan Lake? Really?
DonPursch
Posted 4/7/2015 8:10 PM (#763885 - in reply to #763882)

Just sayin none of you know the details of any thing that happened don't be so quick to judge this guy he's a very interesting guy and he is a story teller and very good at it. They never intended for this to be a Traditional fishing show I just sayin I was there and maybe some day I will tell the real story just sayin Always Calm Waters To You All
Natureboy
Posted 4/7/2015 8:23 PM (#763888 - in reply to #763507)

Seems like an alright guy, and he's done about everything and anything to catch a fish. How long before he arrived did they contact you Don? Was Rowan a planned stop from the beginning for them?
DonPursch
Posted 4/7/2015 8:26 PM (#763891 - in reply to #763882)

YA know I was NOT going to do this but here goes
First of all he had NEVER fished Muskies be for he had no clue as to what was involved
Improper Rod and reel he had to use specific equipment
Had NO boat side what's so ever
We had 43 fish to the boat in that time a true shot at a 50+ every day we were out
That's a fact and caught (2)
Why they did not use ANY of that stuff I do not know there was so many great things that happend and where not shown I just don't know and I had no clue what the out come was going to be. I'm not defending any one nor justifying any actions here I'm just sharing some of the things that REALLY did happend. This is some of what REALLY happened. Thanks for reading Don
rodbender
Posted 4/7/2015 8:35 PM (#763894 - in reply to #763891)

Please don't get me wrong.I'm sure mr. Wade is great.No question he is a smart man and can fish well.It's the show's "made for tv" sensationalism that I enjoy ripping.
jboutdoorguy
Posted 4/7/2015 8:41 PM (#763896 - in reply to #763507)

I thought it was a good show. Yes there was a lot of B.S. but thats what keeps the masses watching it. It was reality as far as the frustration. It was good to not deal with any advertising or top of the line equipment. I think Jeremy does a good job on the show with all episodes. It's neat to see all of the cool fish around the world. If he were advertising on every show who would want that? If he just threw a line in different waters around the world and didnt say a word that would be some crappy tv. He always has what looks to be the most simple and basic stuff. I think thats cool. If you dont like the show dont watch it. Like I do with bass fishing shows.
jonnysled
Posted 4/7/2015 9:02 PM (#763901 - in reply to #763896)

i don't buy the "realistic" part either. if you are with a guide on Eagle and what i hear of Rowan ... nope, punt and try again. that statement just doesn't hold water. tough days yah but 8 days ... nope. if you are a novice or newbie - yah, any time at all in it would be a rare occasion to not have multiple shots, with a guide - no way at least not the ones i know up there.

i was with Scottie about 8 years ago when we saw the serpent of Eagle Lake ... caught both a them sumb!tches ... a 48 and a 49 came out nose to tail. looked like two muskies to us.

people that see it as an impossible fish will believe this guy and his show, to say they won't is naive. did that show promote a musky trip to a novice? those customers are probably good ones and spend more money than a lot of us do.

i guess they could always bring plenty of tobacco ...

Edited by jonnysled 4/7/2015 9:06 PM
ARmuskyaddict
Posted 4/7/2015 10:35 PM (#763914 - in reply to #763507)

Since muskies are now man-biters, does anyone have any suggestions of how I could rig up myself to a quick strike rig? And how come there is no episode about how bream and bluegills are viscous man biters? My nipples have been attacked by those buggers many times while swimming.
Propster
Posted 4/7/2015 11:32 PM (#763918 - in reply to #763507)

What is the viscosity of bream and bluegills?
vegas492
Posted 4/8/2015 9:08 AM (#763974 - in reply to #763507)

After reading this thread, I had to DVR that episode. Got to watch it last night.

Really, really did not like the first 25 minutes or so. But that is his show. Once he got to the musky fishing, even my wife was amazed at how little he knew. Little things, like how he held a rod. How he tried to figure 8. Don backed up what we saw. Jeremy may be an accomplished fisherman, but he is a novice musky angler.

And we both got a good chuckle when musky fishing broke him. Said that he was "twitchy". That was the highlight to me.

Then seeing him catch that 48 incher? Getting that film of the fish jumping? Awesome stuff. He was very jacked to see that fish. You could see that he got himself hooked (literally and figuratively) on musky fishing.

And good for him.
Average Joe
Posted 4/8/2015 9:56 AM (#763990 - in reply to #763605)

I love the fact that he got his A** handed to him by the Muskie. It was a good episode, and it made me laugh because you get to witness the various stages he goes through until he finally raises the white flag in surrender.
jjm msky
Posted 4/8/2015 11:31 AM (#764015 - in reply to #763507)

Most of the time he is bait fishing, hook up a big piece of meat and throw it out and wait. This time he was working for it, casting and not really throwing the big stuff either. I have watched this show from the first season to this one and will continue to do so. I have always wondered what would happen if he tried some of the musky lures we all throw in some of the locations he fishes in and see what would happen. But after watching this show I don't think he wants to spend all day casting in 100% humidity in a jungle. I hope he gets another shot at one, because it looks like he is hooked on musky fishing.
Poor Guy.
achotrod
Posted 4/8/2015 11:36 AM (#764018 - in reply to #763507)

Wow 43 fish to the boat?
jjm msky
Posted 4/8/2015 11:56 AM (#764026 - in reply to #763507)

I thought I was the only one that had musky's swimming to the boat to give me the "the fin" and swim off
rodbender
Posted 4/8/2015 12:56 PM (#764035 - in reply to #763891)

DonPursch - 4/7/2015 8:26 PM

YA know I was NOT going to do this but here goes
First of all he had NEVER fished Muskies be for he had no clue as to what was involved
Improper Rod and reel he had to use specific equipment
Had NO boat side what's so ever
We had 43 fish to the boat in that time a true shot at a 50+ every day we were out
That's a fact and caught (2)
Why they did not use ANY of that stuff I do not know there was so many great things that happend and where not shown I just don't know and I had no clue what the out come was going to be. I'm not defending any one nor justifying any actions here I'm just sharing some of the things that REALLY did happend. This is some of what REALLY happened. Thanks for reading Don

They had to play on the 10,000 cast thing. Makes for better drama. Let's face it. The story line was weak. Some silly sea monster legend that few know of and a kid getting nipped in the leg Is what they had to fill an hour of air time with. Also, why would you fish eagle, head to rowan, get a couple follows ( as seen in the show), only to get discouraged, then feel the need to head back to eagle to rub up on a rock and fish for cigars? I'm not suprised he caught a dandy with a jig and minnow, happens daily across the Musky range. They have to make up and sensationalize it to sell tickets I suppose but good Lord!
I knew that they had to have seen/caught more than the bs story lead us to believe.
lhprop1
Posted 4/8/2015 2:48 PM (#764054 - in reply to #763914)

ARmuskyaddict - 4/7/2015 10:35 PM

And how come there is no episode about how bream and bluegills are viscous man biters? My nipples have been attacked by those buggers many times while swimming.

Get your nipples pierced and put a baited treble hook in each one. You'll have your limit of sunnies in no time.

Would that be considered fishing with two lines or would it be the equivalent of having multiple hooks on a Rapala?
Chemi
Posted 4/8/2015 2:49 PM (#764055 - in reply to #764035)

Agree with rodbender. Seems to me like he had a hankering to try muskie fishing, and pumped up the man-eating monster "legend" to allow him to get the show to pay for it. As DonPursch has it, they saw plenty of fish and had plenty of chances, yet they played up the "fish of 10,000 casts" angle bigtime.

Still, I prefer that to them making it look like muskie fishing is like bass fishing.

Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 3 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)