Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> Canadian Dream Trip

Message Subject: Canadian Dream Trip
Average Joe
Posted 3/29/2015 1:49 PM (#762140)
Subject: Canadian Dream Trip

OK Guys:

My fiancé and I are looking to take a dream trip to Canada Next year. We'll be married by then, and she thinks it'd be cool to do our honeymoon chasing muskies up in Canada. I've fished Eagle with some fish to show for it, but I'm looking for some suggestions. I was thinking LOTW, Wabigoon, Cedar, or maybe even Eagle again, just not sure. Any thoughts would be really appreciated!! Thanks!!
WiscoMusky
Posted 3/29/2015 2:04 PM (#762148 - in reply to #762140)
Subject: Re: Canadian Dream Trip

I always recommend Century Lodge on Eagle. Much different water than the rest of eagle... It's shallower and much darker water, and it produces tons of fish for us every year. The lodge is extremely remote, unlike other lodges on eagle, so it might be a nice getaway for your fiancé and yourself!
sworrall
Posted 3/29/2015 2:47 PM (#762163 - in reply to #762148)

AML if on Eagle. Sue liked Wabigoon, there are some good lodges on the lake.
Average Joe
Posted 3/29/2015 2:55 PM (#762167 - in reply to #762163)

Steve:

I read a thread earlier on here about Wabigoon, so that's why I put it on the list. You really seem to like the lake, and have had some success from what I read. I'm just looking to catch fish mainly!! A trophy would be nice, but contacting fish is probably the most important thing for us.
jkslayer135
Posted 3/29/2015 4:02 PM (#762182 - in reply to #762140)

Go to LOTW...You're gonna see and catch way more fish than Eagle plus a shot at a trophy.
Pointerpride102
Posted 3/29/2015 5:01 PM (#762192 - in reply to #762182)

Cedar? Lol.

Eagle, LOTW, or Rowan.

If I were putting together a dream trip to Canada, it would be Great Slave. Taltson Bay.
vegas492
Posted 3/30/2015 12:56 PM (#762388 - in reply to #762140)

Now, I haven't been there, but from everything I've seen, Andy Meyers Lodge on Eagle Lake is the dream vacation. To me, it sounds like if you want non-stop action, they have some fly in lakes to put you on. And if you want it, you can have a guide with you at all times on Eagle Lake. Don't worry about cooking, they will do that too.

It kind of sounds like, if you have the money, all you have to do is get yourself to their lodge and they can handle the rest.
Will Schultz
Posted 3/30/2015 1:33 PM (#762405 - in reply to #762140)

What's important to you; wilderness/scenery, giant fish, numbers of fish, casting, trolling, etc.? Personally I would go to E. Ontario and Quebec for the biggest muskies that swim but that might not be what you're looking for.
NickD
Posted 3/30/2015 3:07 PM (#762428 - in reply to #762140)

Wiley Point on Lake of the Woods. From what I have read it should be the most posh resort in musky land. Not sure a better musky fishing location exists for size/numbers/tons of spots and water. If it's a honeymoon I feel like there should at least be a hot tub on the grounds of the resort you stay at. Never stayed there and doubt I ever will but it looks neat.

We probably need some more input as to what you are exactly looking for out of the trip though.
Booch
Posted 3/30/2015 3:47 PM (#762443 - in reply to #762140)

Congrats on the wedding, and more importantly a wife that wants to spend the honeymoon musky fishing in Canada! My wife said she'd leave me if I ever made her go up there and fish for a week.

It's hard to go wrong on Eagle or LOTW, but for me Wabigoon was just too muddy. Some love it, though. Cedar is nice, but small and pressured, and has very little pike to keep you occupied between muskies. Crow Lake isn't well known but is something to consider, if you don't mind the trout water.
Average Joe
Posted 3/31/2015 8:41 AM (#762599 - in reply to #762443)

Thanks guys!! My fiancé is a great woman, and I'm looking forward to being with her!! I honestly wasn't expecting a yes when I brought up going to Canada for a week fishing, but after I took her up to Vermilion for a week and loved it, I figured I'd give it a shot. Now she loves Muskie fishing as much as I do, and I can hardly wait to put her on her first fish.
curleytail
Posted 3/31/2015 8:49 AM (#762602 - in reply to #762140)

That's very cool. My wife and I have been married 5 years and we took our first trip to LOTW together last summer at Mylies Place on LOTW. I thought the fishing was tough by LOTW standards but we caught a few and had a great time. Wife caught her first two muskies ever, and was rewarded with an even bigger one after we got back home.

On the drive back home, we decided to book again, so we're going back this year!

I want to go to Eagle someday, but from what I hear it can be tough at times. From everything I read, LOTW was a good destination for taking my wife. Good numbers of fish with good size potential, great scenery, and also big water, but places to fish to get out of the wind were available if needed also.
wkeegobbler
Posted 3/31/2015 10:16 PM (#762755 - in reply to #762602)

I would suggest Nielsens Fly in resort on Rowan Lake. Never been but it is on my bucket list and Don and Lynn will take good care of you. Absolute shot at huge muskies, lake trout, and bass. It would be an awesome adventure for you two!
keithtrophyfishn.com
Posted 4/1/2015 5:56 AM (#762776 - in reply to #762140)

Wiley Point is the best spot for a rip. Hot tubs sauna trails full dinning service satilite tv nice boats and cabins are current. muskie walleye and pike are plentiful. just did a show with Saric there this summer check it out for a few tips
Average Joe
Posted 4/2/2015 2:46 PM (#763022 - in reply to #762776)

I'll sure check it out. It sounds like LOTW is the place to go. That's where I had originally wanted to go, but I thought I'd ask what others thought, and what kind of experiences they've had.
cpr fish
Posted 4/2/2015 3:47 PM (#763031 - in reply to #763022)

Wiley Point Lodge is the place to go. Stopped in a few times for a lunch break. The ultimate honeymoon destination if your fiance enjoys the outdoors and likes to fish. Originally was the game plan for our honeymoon but based on circumstance will have to be a fall back anniversary trip. Great location with phenomenal muskie water nearby.
Average Joe
Posted 4/2/2015 4:48 PM (#763037 - in reply to #763031)

I checked out their website, and they are quite pricey!! I might have to start saving my pennies to make that one happen. It looks VERY nice though!! I'm surprised they don't give a bigger discount if you bring your own boat.

Anybody been to Mylie's Place?

Edited by Average Joe 4/2/2015 4:51 PM
muskyrat
Posted 4/4/2015 12:18 AM (#763242 - in reply to #762140)

Nippising is a heck of a place to fish.
esoxaddict
Posted 4/4/2015 11:45 AM (#763303 - in reply to #762163)

AML..

Samantha loved it. She'd kill me if I even mentioned it as a honeymoon, but there are always women and kids in camp at AML. The cabins have everything you need as far as accomodations. I was worried about how she'd react, but she didn't want to leave and couldn't wait to go back the next year.
PSAGuy
Posted 4/4/2015 10:37 PM (#763400 - in reply to #763037)

I've stayed at Wiley Point Lodge every year for the past 13 years ! Great place with fishing that is better than Sioux Narrows. Quality of fish is just a bit better....stockier, longer fish of each species. My group one year caught 145 FEET of Muskies on out 4 day trip !! You heard me right. 5 guys for 4 days and 145 FEET of Muskies. All within a 15 minute boat ride of Wiley. Not the norm....but it shows what is possible. Great spot.

Edited by PSAGuy 4/4/2015 10:39 PM
jerryb
Posted 4/5/2015 1:51 PM (#763470 - in reply to #763400)

You are no Average Joe if you've got a women willing to go to Eagle or fishing for that matter on her honeymoon, Congrats! Getting married myself in Sept. and working on doing the same but in my case it's a long, long, long shot. Got any tips ha ha, maybe we'll see you up there Good luck on your trip!

Edited by jerryb 4/5/2015 1:53 PM
Average Joe
Posted 4/5/2015 6:15 PM (#763498 - in reply to #763470)

jerryb - 4/5/2015 1:51 PM

You are no Average Joe if you've got a women willing to go to Eagle or fishing for that matter on her honeymoon, Congrats! Getting married myself in Sept. and working on doing the same but in my case it's a long, long, long shot. Got any tips ha ha, maybe we'll see you up there Good luck on your trip!

Thank You Sir!! Congratulations on your up coming wedding too!! I am a very lucky guy, I floated the idea of taking her to Vermilion with me when I went on vacation last year to fish with a guide buddy, and she never batted an eye. She had never fished muskies ever, and by the end of the trip she was casting and retrieving, and making figure 8's like a pro better than some guys I've seen. She took instructions from my buddy very well, and even saw a few fish come charging in on her bait. Now I just need to put one in the net for her!! As far as getting your fiancé up to Canada I just put it out there as a sweet getaway to a location that she hadn't been to, and asked if it would be something she'd be interested in doing for our honeymoon, something out of the ordinary
Nupe
Posted 4/6/2015 10:19 AM (#763590 - in reply to #762140)

Many great places on LOTW. If you're going to go to Eagle, I know there's a lot of buzz about AML, but go to North Shore Lodge, best lodge on Eagle hands down. It is centrally located and Scott Jaeger (Owner) has been guiding on Eagle for 42+ years since he was 12...kinda like Bill Sandy on LOTW.
jerryb
Posted 4/6/2015 10:37 AM (#763594 - in reply to #763590)

AJ,
Thanks for the tip, just stepped up the "soft" pressure and doing some heavy give and take, okay it's really a whole lot of giving ha ha. Last fall I sent her some sentry pictures from Eagle sunsets, water falls etc and she said she'd like to go "some time". Who knew Sept. would be the perfect time... When are you thing of going?
musky14giant
Posted 4/6/2015 7:25 PM (#763662 - in reply to #762140)
Subject: RE: Canadian Dream Trip

AML On Eagle Lake is the only place to be if you are truly considering Eagle. New Owners who still have the best guides on the lake hands down. You will be put on fish daily and hospitality/ service cannot be beat.
Average Joe
Posted 4/7/2015 7:48 AM (#763734 - in reply to #763662)

Eagle is a beautiful lake!! When I was there I stayed at Colegrove's Eagle Lake Lodge!! Scott and Marie were fabulous hosts
tyzep6
Posted 4/7/2015 8:15 AM (#763739 - in reply to #762140)

Probably not on your radar but Cliff Lake (Lost Bay Resort) has tons of muskies and very little pressure. There is only one outfitter on the lake, which makes nice for fishing and great for a getaway. I've taken my fiancé up to Cliff for the last 9 years (gettn married in August) and she is in love with the place!! Our honeymoon is actually at Cliff as well!! It can be done boys you just have to train them early...anyways they have a great resort that is easy on the check book and will leave both of wanting to plan at trip back for your 1st year anniversary! Here are just a few of Sara's fish from last year.

Edited by tyzep6 4/7/2015 8:34 AM

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(sara1.jpg)

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(sara ski.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments sara1.jpg (163KB - 146 downloads)
Attachments sara ski.jpg (95KB - 144 downloads)
gaohx
Posted 4/7/2015 10:15 AM (#763768 - in reply to #762140)

I have to say we had a blast at Lost Bay Resort last year. Mike and the rest of the staff took great care of us and we caught lake trout, musky (never had so many follows/saw so many in my life), walleye, smallmouth and my son will never forget the portage lakes and catching 70+ pike in less than 3 hrs.....he got tired and wanted to stop If you want variety in a very peaceful and very affordable locale, look no further.

Don
Average Joe
Posted 4/7/2015 10:54 AM (#763773 - in reply to #763768)

Very Cool!! Those are some nice fish!! I checked it out, and it's very well priced!!
ErockEsox
Posted 4/8/2015 11:48 AM (#764025 - in reply to #762140)

The folks at Youngs Wilderness Resort on LOTW were fantastic last year. Tons of great fishing within a 10 minute ride from camp. The scenery was amazing and didn't see a ton of other boats up in that area. I'm very excited to head back later this year.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)