Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Treble Hooks and Man's Best Friend

Message Subject: Treble Hooks and Man's Best Friend
Team_Ryba
Posted 3/19/2015 3:07 PM (#760521)
Subject: Treble Hooks and Man's Best Friend

When we go musky fishing, we like to take our dog along with us in the boat. Before getting our dog, we used to air dry our bucktails and lures by hanging them inside a plastic pail and then put them away in their respective boxes when dry or at the end of the day.
Have you guys got any good ideas on how to store your wet lures and bucktails on board while fishing, when you have your K-9 along with you?
TR
jonnysled
Posted 3/19/2015 3:11 PM (#760522 - in reply to #760521)
Subject: Re: Treble Hooks and Man's Best Friend

put everything away, train the dog to have a spot in the boat that is safe ... only baits on the deck are the ones you are fishing with, none on extra rods or anywhere else in the boat.

ARmuskyaddict
Posted 3/19/2015 4:00 PM (#760536 - in reply to #760521)

What that guy up there ^^^ said. Mainly, don't bring a dog that doesn't obey well fishing. My dog is 11 and really mellow now. But she loves topwater and something about a bulldawg, and a few stumps, gets her excited. All I have to do is tell her No or Go and she does. I use a 5 gallon bucket for lures I use regularly. Cut come notches in it for the hooks and stick them into the lip below it so they don't protrude and your pooch will be safe.
Mikes Extreme
Posted 3/19/2015 4:29 PM (#760546 - in reply to #760536)

Dogs are great in the boat if they are trained. A mellow dog that listens good will not have any issues. I keep all my baits away from anywhere my dog will be. I use tackle box's, landing net and rods without lures to keep her clear of the areas I don't want her to use. She has learned she can move from the front to the back and enjoy the boat when I have it wide open. When I have the center blocked off she knows it's the front deck or just the back deck. But when she was a puppy I worked with her every day on boat rules. I don't use a training leash but some use them to keep the dogs in one area tied up.
I got a Fox Red Labrador retriever that just enjoys the boat and knows the rules. At 2.5 years old she is great in any situations. Believe me, some situations can get wild and need to be worked on with caution. LIKE: Ducks too close, Top Water lures....pop...pop...pop, other dogs on piers while casting, other boats pulling up to talk, etc.

I have clients who ask me to bring my dog while I guide. She is great in the boat and with people. Dogs love to be with you and with proper training and care it's great to have them enjoy the experience's on the water with you.

Only had one of my dogs hooked years ago. She sniffed a bucktail and got hooked in the lip. She walked up to me with it hanging and I cut the barb off and pushed it out. Stay calm and the dog will hopefully also. If you get all fired up and excited they will also. Man's Best Friend for sure!!!
muskyhunter47
Posted 3/19/2015 4:55 PM (#760553 - in reply to #760546)

My dog is not allowed on the front deck .I have a just encase pedestal box and I keep all my Baits in that I'm using lay the rod on front deck when going from spot to spot . This year will be fun getting a puppy in June.
walkingstick
Posted 3/19/2015 7:29 PM (#760579 - in reply to #760521)

my old Brittany accompanied me wherever I went. We read each others minds but it took time and he was a rambunctious pup at one time. Put him down with cancer last Summer and have a new one and she too will go with me but it will be a learning experience for both of us right off. I want mine to be a companion, not just a hunting dog in a cage most of its life. Te dog will have its place and I must be careful of what I have rigged. Never stung one yet....crossed fingers.

[IMG]http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w90/walk-n-stk/069_zpsz0rlwnq1.jpg[/IMG]
bucknuts
Posted 3/19/2015 9:44 PM (#760600 - in reply to #760521)
Subject: RE: Treble Hooks and Man's Best Friend

I was babysitting our dog, actually my wife's dog. I took him out muskie fishing.
He is a well behaved dog, but not used to being in the boat. I had a 10 inch weagle hooked to my rod, and tucked up against the side of the boat. We were going through a narrow area, and there was a blue heron standing along the shore. Yogi went up on the front deck, to get a better look. When he did, he brushed up against the weagle and he got hooked. It scared him and he tried to run back to me. When he did, he got hooked with all three trebles. He ended up breaking my custom 9 foot rod in three pieces! He had one treble buried in his hind quarter, the other buried in his other hind leg, and one in his front foot.
I had to pin him down and grab my side cutters. I cut the back two hooks off at the split ring. I managed to get the one hook out of his front foot. Then I cut the two hooks off the trebles, that weren't buried. He finally settled down a little, so I tried to get a hold of a vet. After ten minutes leaving messages, I finally got a hold of a vet in Ely. Of course, I had to be about eight miles from my dock, on Lake Vermilion.
An hour later, I was at the vets, holding our dog down, while the vet cut and pulled the hooks through, then cut the hooks off. Thankfully, we got the hooks out before my wife made it to the vets. Needless to say, she won't let me take him fishing anymore It was a very stressful evening, to say the least!
BMuskyX
Posted 3/19/2015 10:49 PM (#760602 - in reply to #760521)

I've got a ten pound Maltese and when I saw the title I thought he was gonna ask where is the best place to hook em to use for live bait......my bad.

Jaimy
Bondy
Posted 3/20/2015 4:35 AM (#760614 - in reply to #760521)

Made that mistake only once. Our lab loves fetch and thought casting was a game of just that...he got ahold of a Bondy Bait and got one treble in the mouth and the other in the leg, which eventually led to one prong in my hand. Luckily I had the knowledge and tools to get them out but a shrieking dog and a balling wife is not a combo I ever want to see again.
mnmusky
Posted 3/20/2015 6:27 AM (#760618 - in reply to #760614)

Was at a park Many years ago with my now long gone dog. we were walking along the bank to a fishing spot. He walked over a nest of mono someone left behind and got a hook right in the nut. Poor guy! I had to pull a rusty hook from my dogs ballsack.
Man I miss that dog.
kjgmh
Posted 3/20/2015 7:57 AM (#760634 - in reply to #760521)

I trained my dog to stay on a rug I put on the back deck. He is only allowed off when the boat is moving and then he likes to sit next to me. He is never allowed on the front deck, which is where I keep rods and lures.
Muskers
Posted 3/20/2015 8:41 AM (#760640 - in reply to #760521)

I have a HIGHLY energetic 3 year old lab and the firs couple years have been a lot of work in the boat and more training than I could've imagined but he is finally calm enough to bring along everytime. He has jumped out of the boat to chase a bobber, jumped out to fetch a duck, went to shore to say high to some girls that were talking about how cute he was (That one I didn't mind so much...) and watched so many figure eights while sitting on my feet or between my legs. One thing he has never done is gotten into a lure but I don't allow any baits out when he is with and minimize rods that come with, etc.
The best advice I would have is to start the training at home in the garage and get them used to the boat and then take a couple trips without fishing. Just go for a boat ride and they will learn to just enjoy the boat. Then when you trust them, start to fish and hope you have enough control over them to make them stay where you want them. I used to bring a toy or rawhide to entertain them as well and it helped at first. Those days when you go fishing a lone are the best days to have the dog with. They always agree to trying that new bait or a new spot.

Also, pack a towel... When they jump out and you bring them back in everyone will get wet...

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(Porter Pup.jpg)

(Porter Lake - Edited.jpg)

(Porter Dog Park 2.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Porter Pup.jpg (94KB - 359 downloads)
Attachments Porter Lake - Edited.jpg (90KB - 361 downloads)
Attachments Porter Dog Park 2.JPG (106KB - 338 downloads)
beefcake4000
Posted 3/20/2015 12:05 PM (#760667 - in reply to #760521)

Flambeau maximizer with a couple holes drilled, 80mm fan grills covering the hole.
esoxaddict
Posted 3/20/2015 1:21 PM (#760675 - in reply to #760521)

One suggestion I have is a small platform on the back of the boat for him/her to climb back in when they go overboard chasing after this or that. Between the ducks, otters, loons, and beavers, you KNOW it's only a matter of time. Add in someone on shore throwing a stick for their dog? Yeah, dog overboard.
ToddM
Posted 3/20/2015 1:47 PM (#760678 - in reply to #760521)

I see a need for a marine grade invisible fence.
Zib
Posted 3/20/2015 3:15 PM (#760696 - in reply to #760521)

Do the dog a favor & leave it at home. No sense in risking getting him/her stuck with a hook. Even if the dog stays put there's always that chance a fish can throw the bait at boat side & catch the dog in the process. I only take my dog on a boat when we aren't fishing.
Ranger
Posted 3/20/2015 3:47 PM (#760700 - in reply to #760521)

And be careful at home. My friend's Rottweiler stuck its head down in a 5gal bucket with lures hanging all around, inside and out, at home. It took 3 sleeping bags, a knife, the vet and most of the local volunteer fire department to get the hooks out.
Wade Alexander
Posted 3/20/2015 4:09 PM (#760707 - in reply to #760521)

yep i had a CATastrophe one time... poor guy chased a mouse that must have crawled into my musky crate sitting in the garage... poor guy had a 7 inch grandma,a big rapala and a hellhound or something stuck in him felt bad:( but hes all good!
Junkman
Posted 3/20/2015 9:38 PM (#760768 - in reply to #760521)

My buddy (even name was Buddy) died last year. He was 14, and it was his time to go. I likely fished with just the dog and me in the boat more than I fished with anyone. I simply either had one bait active in the water or no baits on the deck, even one bait if traveling between spots. I really don't care if a bait gets put away wet and it completely rusts away. They don't, but it's the dog that counts. The new Rangers have fans running in all the compartments but I don't have one just yet. And, I often leave the same bait on all day. But, it's the dog that counts, more than the rod, reel, baits, even the boat, and my truck pulling it. I prefer to leave the cruelty to people who like to remind me how long it's been between first place finishes, that's fine, just don't hook the dog, it will never be his fault. I guess you all know where I'm a softy now, miss Buddy too!
Stranger2bluewater
Posted 3/21/2015 8:25 AM (#760789 - in reply to #760521)

Keep an eye on them while you are taking pictures. Sniffing the musky's face is not a good idea!

(image.jpg)

(image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments image.jpg (57KB - 368 downloads)
Attachments image.jpg (141KB - 357 downloads)
Kirby Budrow
Posted 3/21/2015 12:28 PM (#760815 - in reply to #760521)

My old dog Belle got a suick stuck in her paw when I took her camping many years ago. I was in more of a panic than she was but I don't take dogs musky fishing anymore for that reason.
Mike D
Posted 3/21/2015 3:39 PM (#760826 - in reply to #760521)

Wife and I just got another dog after waiting 5 years since we put down our retriever. Oldest boy in college now and youngest is a junior in HS. We need to fill the bedrooms again... She's a year old and I was thinking of bringing her out a few times this year. I agree, NO hooks anywhere except the ones youre throwing. Love the pic of the dogs n the net. Thats exactly the kind of thing I invision would happen to me if I brought my dog along. Can you see it, personal best fish on, sweeping her boatside with one hand on the rod and reaching for the net and there'd be Bailey, sitting in the net smiling at me Nope, she's staying home.
Junkman
Posted 3/21/2015 7:51 PM (#760868 - in reply to #760521)

Hey Stranger2bluewater,
Are there musky in Morgantown? I thought only Mountaineer football. I got hitched to a hillbilly gal just down the road a piece in Fairmont. Moved her up here (Badgers pretty good too) she didn't like it (maybe me either) and left darn near 40 years ago. Took 10 years to find another wife and this one won't cook wild game. And now I'm thinking maybe I really made the ultimate dumb move. If there are musky there and I would have known it then, I could have kept her right there by her mom where she wouldn't get lonely, mad and out the door. Not like it's a tragedy or anything. Second wife's prettier and second set of kids don't talk funny. Still, if there really are some quality musky in WV, "Take me home country road," the girl could skin a rabbit and fry it with onions and cut up potatoes before I could take my boots off. Well, maybe that's enough I guess, wife #2 knows how to check my browsing history. Nice photos and family by the way, boat too!
beerforthemuskygods
Posted 3/21/2015 11:42 PM (#760908 - in reply to #760521)

My last chocolate lab, thelma lou, was always in the boat with me. She was content to sleep mostly, unless i was catfishing, then she would bark her fool head off at any fish up to the boat. My current 2.5 yr old chocolate, izzabelle mae, is a heck of a fisher-dog. If i'm bluegillin, she watches the bobbers like a hawk and will get antsy when one goes down and while out catfishin she watches the rod tips with equal enthusiasm, comes in extremely handy if i'm not paying attention. Bass and northern fishin is a little different tho, (gonna have to do some more work on this one), she feels the need to sit on the trolling motor pedal. I live on a lake and if i'm out in the yard and the dog disappears, there is a good chance that she is swimming after some poor fisherman's topwater (there are no muskies here, so i don't feel too bad) But it is for that reason that i have to watch her closely while i'm casting, which is also why she hasn't been muskie fishing yet. The circus that ensued as my buddy was netting a 38" northern and the dog barking and falling out of the boat was enough for me to see that she is not quite ready.
Stranger2bluewater
Posted 3/22/2015 4:54 PM (#760985 - in reply to #760868)

Junkman - 3/21/2015 8:51 PM

Hey Stranger2bluewater,
Are there musky in Morgantown? I thought only Mountaineer football. I got hitched to a hillbilly gal just down the road a piece in Fairmont. Moved her up here (Badgers pretty good too) she didn't like it (maybe me either) and left darn near 40 years ago. Took 10 years to find another wife and this one won't cook wild game. And now I'm thinking maybe I really made the ultimate dumb move. If there are musky there and I would have known it then, I could have kept her right there by her mom where she wouldn't get lonely, mad and out the door. Not like it's a tragedy or anything. Second wife's prettier and second set of kids don't talk funny. Still, if there really are some quality musky in WV, "Take me home country road," the girl could skin a rabbit and fry it with onions and cut up potatoes before I could take my boots off. Well, maybe that's enough I guess, wife #2 knows how to check my browsing history. Nice photos and family by the way, boat too!

The Monongahela River is pretty good now. It was probably too polluted when you were here so don't feel bad. Stonewall Jackson is great now also but it was impounded in 1989. Maybe there weren't many options back in the day. At least you can tell yourself that to feel better.
Mikes Extreme
Posted 3/23/2015 12:43 PM (#761084 - in reply to #760696)

Every dog and owner is different. I can't see going fishing without taking my dog. She loves the outdoors and enjoys every part of going fishing with me. Its kind of like taking your dog for a ride in car/truck. But she gets to do the ride(truck), swim at the launch, go for another ride(boat), watch the lure at boatside every cast with anticipation of a fish following, or just hang out and enjoy the outdoors. You can't tell me its better to leave them at home every time because its unsafe for them. 16 years of dogs in my boat and only one hooked dog. She came to me to let me know it was something that was not good. I popped the hook out and she was fine. I sure miss that dog. 12 good years and hundreds of days in my Ranger.
My new lab Abby is trained so well already that she will be going every time I can take her. She is my best friend and love to see her happy.
Dogs are just like kids. Work with them on rules and everything will be ok. How many people bring kids on their boats and have to watch everything they do. Now treat your dog the same way and you will enjoy the company as much as they enjoy being with you.
Leaving a dog at home in a crate or alone while you enjoy the outdoors is not fare. If you have a dog and put the effort into training them for their safety its well worth bringing them. They like the outdoors also.
Mikes Extreme
Posted 3/23/2015 12:49 PM (#761087 - in reply to #760696)

Not every dog will be good in a boat. Some dogs are too wild for it. Some breeds are just too high strung. Heck I know of a 5 year old lab that needs to be held back if someone catches a fish. She just goes nuts. The guy thought it was cool at first and got the dog even more worked up. Now he regrets it because she is way too crazy when a fish gets hooked.
Training is key and dogs can be taught to be safe. The rest we have to do to make sure the boat is a save environment for them.
Keeping a deck clean is key. Just like kids, don't leave harmful stuff laying around.
Be kind to your pets. Sitting home is not fun for them.

Edited by Mikes Extreme 3/23/2015 12:57 PM
ffdonnie
Posted 3/26/2015 12:59 PM (#761533 - in reply to #760521)

My dog gets mad when I don't take him out. I have left him home and the wife has called me and said I needed to come get him now. He is sitting at the widow looking down the street looking for you and is whining. He would rather go out fishing than eat. And he is a food driven dog.

(10365814_10201942143376105_2794213089878609986_n.jpg)

(10610742_10202445358116159_1737698379181706517_n.jpg)

(10592621_10202445357196136_8619099305764207631_n.jpg)

(10557172_10202445356916129_4127386134827298989_n.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 10365814_10201942143376105_2794213089878609986_n.jpg (52KB - 328 downloads)
Attachments 10610742_10202445358116159_1737698379181706517_n.jpg (84KB - 372 downloads)
Attachments 10592621_10202445357196136_8619099305764207631_n.jpg (142KB - 366 downloads)
Attachments 10557172_10202445356916129_4127386134827298989_n.jpg (113KB - 351 downloads)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)