Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> metal lip on 13" Believers

Message Subject: metal lip on 13" Believers
NGE
Posted 3/1/2015 11:34 AM (#756686)
Subject: metal lip on 13" Believers

Has anyone ever added a metal lip on a 13" believer?

If so how did you do it.
MD75
Posted 3/1/2015 11:46 AM (#756688 - in reply to #756686)
Subject: Re: metal lip on 13" Believers

I haven't added a metal lip to a Believer...but another option is to get on of the Mr. Toothy believer style baits. They come with a metal lip and are about the size you are looking for. Good luck!
NGE
Posted 3/1/2015 11:48 AM (#756689 - in reply to #756686)

I'm specifically looking for options for the 13" believer, I know you basically use thin aluminum or stainless or whatever material you want. simply undo the screws and drill the holes through the lip, add epoxy if needed. Just wondering if anyone has done it any other way. Also thinking of adding more line ties and a much bigger lip.
bigbite
Posted 3/1/2015 12:55 PM (#756696 - in reply to #756689)

Those additions just might alter the action of the bait.
Landonfish
Posted 3/1/2015 6:50 PM (#756759 - in reply to #756686)

I know back in the day guys use to put Cisco kid lips on swim whizz to get more speed out of it. All they would do is line up the slot on the lip and put the shallow setting of the sw through and carter key it. Not sure if you could get a bigger style of that lip and use on believer.
NGE
Posted 3/1/2015 6:54 PM (#756760 - in reply to #756696)

that's the point of doing it. Steeper dive curve and different action. I can make any lip I want, that way I can adjust if I want.
Old Guy
Posted 3/1/2015 7:54 PM (#756777 - in reply to #756686)
Subject: RE: metal lip on 13" Believers

Long ago...and far away....you could buy the metal attachments you are talking about as they were offered for sale by the company that made the Believer at that time.

If my memory is accurate....it may have been that the at least some Believers came with the metal attachment (which was basically a Cisco kid style lip) that fit over the line tie(s) and had a pin that was put through to hold it in place ...sort of. The pin did not go through the lure body.

On a related note-I have been fiddling around with trying to alter 10" Believer action using#10 Colorado blades ,curving up,  with 2 slots cut to go over the line ties. The blade is attached using a  Cowling Lock Pin ..(see google images)....the snap from the leader does the same thing on the second line tie. So far I have tried only casting with this set up using #9 Indiana blades as well.  The first #10's overpowered the lure so I went to the 9's but will try the 10's again. When casting, I have only been using the rig as a jerkbait and it gives interesting action, especially since  the slots for the blades have enough clearance in them that the blade is loose and  able to move some from water pressure and you get some unusual moves from the lure. 

I hope the fish agree this year.  Trolling so far has been only successful at very slow speeds so it is rather a self-defeating deal there.....but I still want to keep experimenting.

For everything,  only .025 , thin blades were used as heavier ones seemed to kill the   action.     Hope this might be a starting point for some  experimenting on your part. Good luck.  MacGyver is alive and well.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)