Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Trolling motor batteries

Reply New post
Message Subject: Trolling motor batteries
Midget&gangster
Posted 2/28/2015 12:53 AM (#756530)
Subject: Trolling motor batteries

I'm looking for some input (Good, bad, or ugly) on trolling motor batteries. I have a minnkota powerdrive 2 24v and looking at replacing the batteries this spring. I currently have 2 deka batteries and a 17" lund mr. pike. Thanks
btfish
Posted 2/28/2015 7:19 AM (#756536 - in reply to #756530)
Subject: RE: Trolling motor batteries

Aaron

You may want to do a search on here under Boats & Motors. A bunch has been writen about (starting and trolling motor batteries and also the method used to charge them). You will also learn that there are lots of brands but only about 3 manufactures so you know many brands are identical. I do know that not every battery is meant for the same application and they are very specalized so you need to understand what the letters on a battery mean and which one to use for the particular application. Most manufactures have a tech call line that are very helpful.

I do know may people who got short battery life on 24 volt system and cured the problem by putting a shut off or disconnect the + & - jump. I am no EE but I worked with several who explained it as the stronger battery is always trying to charge the weaker battery and basically kills its self. This is why some guy get 2 or 3 years and others get 4 or 5. But most people will not realize what is going on and chalk it up to a poor battery.

I also have been told that the larger numbered battery will have more capacity. 27 will have more duty cycle than a 24, and a 31 will have more duty cycle than a 27. So if you are fishing all day and using your TM a lot your day will last longer with a 31.
I had 27s Interstates in my last boat and they seemed to perform fine, and that is all that would fit in my boat. In my current boat I have 31 series Northerns and they seem to work fine but they are not very old yet.

I also read on one of the post on here that the only real advantage of the matt or jell type battery is that you can tip them on there side, so it may not make sence to spend big money on the really high price batteries if you don't need it. If you are putting your battery straight in and out of a compartment a wet cell will work. But I could be wrong.

Storage in the off season will determine battery life too. A charged battery will not freeze, and the colder the environment it is in the more the dielectrode in a battery will slow down. So leaving in a cold environment is the best way to store them however you do want to check to ensure they are charged. Putting them in the basement of your house is not as cold as the garage or even the boat. Many guys leave them in there boat with the on board charge hooked up and plug it in on occasion to ensure they are charged. This is a good method if you have access to you boat. I however would not leave the charge plugged in all the time as you are creating a potential fire issue if something fails, and you should not need to do this as you are not drawing any current anyway.

So I am not sure I have answered you question, I do know there are about three guys on here who have been formally educated on this stuff and I have not been. I learned from them. So again I would encourage you to do a search. Or maybe one of the experts can jump in too.

Have a good day.
fishhawk50
Posted 2/28/2015 8:33 AM (#756549 - in reply to #756530)
Subject: Re: Trolling motor batteries

2 trolling motor batteries may be a bit extreme for a 17 inch boat! someone had too..
ESOX Maniac
Posted 2/28/2015 8:37 AM (#756551 - in reply to #756536)
Subject: RE: Trolling motor batteries

btfish- Some comments from an EE.

1. "I do know may people who got short battery life on 24 volt system and cured the problem by putting a shut off or disconnect the + & - jump. I am no EE but I worked with several who explained it as the stronger battery is always trying to charge the weaker battery and basically kills its self. This is why some guy get 2 or 3 years and others get 4 or 5. But most people will not realize what is going on and chalk it up to a poor battery."

Not true - The differences are probably in how they are discharged and recharged by each guy.

2. "I also have been told that the larger numbered battery will have more capacity. 27 will have more duty cycle than a 24, and a 31 will have more duty cycle than a 27. So if you are fishing all day and using your TM a lot your day will last longer with a 31. I had 27s Interstates in my last boat and they seemed to perform fine, and that is all that would fit in my boat. In my current boat I have 31 series Northerns and they seem to work fine but they are not very old yet."

Partially true - Duty cycle is not related to the battery group/jar size. Duty cycle is related to battery type and manufacturer. It is true that larger group size is related to capacity and a larger group size will last longer. I use Group 31"s on my 24V trolling motor.

3. "I also read on one of the post on here that the only real advantage of the matt or jell type battery is that you can tip them on there side, so it may not make sence to spend big money on the really high price batteries if you don't need it. If you are putting your battery straight in and out of a compartment a wet cell will work. But I could be wrong."

Not true - A wet-cell can also be briefly tipped during installation. I have 2x Grp 31 wet-cells for my 24V TM, and I have to stand them on end to get them into posistion or take them out of Esox Maniac. The advantage to AGM (absorbant glass-mat) is that it is more user friendly and can be operated on its side - something I would not recommend in a boat.

4. "Storage in the off season will determine battery life too. A charged battery will not freeze, and the colder the environment it is in the more the dielectrode in a battery will slow down. So leaving in a cold environment is the best way to store them however you do want to check to ensure they are charged. Putting them in the basement of your house is not as cold as the garage or even the boat. Many guys leave them in there boat with the on board charge hooked up and plug it in on occasion to ensure they are charged. This is a good method if you have access to you boat. I however would not leave the charge plugged in all the time as you are creating a potential fire issue if something fails, and you should not need to do this as you are not drawing any current anyway. "

Absolutely true!

Have fun!
Al

Larry Ramsell
Posted 2/28/2015 8:42 AM (#756553 - in reply to #756530)

I am often amazed at how much trouble folks seem to have with trolling motor batteries. I usually get at least 8 (yes EIGHT) years out of mine and they are from Walmart (and should you have a problem, they will exchange it). My secret, at least what work for me is that I CHARGE them every time I use them...ALWAYS! No matter how little they were used on an outing...
fishhawk50
Posted 2/28/2015 10:05 AM (#756563 - in reply to #756553)

Larry Ramsell - 2/28/2015 8:42 AM

I am often amazed at how much trouble folks seem to have with trolling motor batteries. I usually get at least 8 (yes EIGHT) years out of mine and they are from Walmart (and should you have a problem, they will exchange it). My secret, at least what work for me is that I CHARGE them every time I use them...ALWAYS! No matter how little they were used on an outing...

yep!
ESOX Maniac
Posted 2/28/2015 10:40 AM (#756570 - in reply to #756553)

Larry Ramsell - 2/28/2015 8:42 AM

Ditto! Spot on advice......

If I have to replace one, I replace both....if you only replace one, the old "good" battery, now is the weaker battery. It seems counter intuitive that the weak battery makes the new battery work harder and fail sooner. But, that's the physic's of connecting batteries in series and only replacing one.

Have fun!
Al
Drakl
Posted 2/28/2015 10:44 AM (#756571 - in reply to #756530)

So I stupidly left my TM battery outside since last September... down here in Canada, it means rain, snow and freezing temps close to -35 degrees celcius... at least it was fully charged... having my first born child, I totally forgot about the battery and fishing took it's beating on the priority list. Is it safe to say that it's probably ruined and that I should right away go buy a new one? I'm buying a Terrova 12v next spring... should I hook up two 12v batteries in parallel (my boat is 17' with a full windshield) ?

And Larry, what battery is that from Wal-Mart? Totally not the first time I hear that they have probably the best batteries combined with the warranty.

Edited by Drakl 2/28/2015 10:48 AM
Chemi
Posted 2/28/2015 11:36 AM (#756579 - in reply to #756571)

Discharging a lead-acid battery converts the sulfuric acid and metallic lead inside into lead sulfate. Charging it changes the lead sulfate back into metallic lead and sulfuric acid. Leaving a battery discharged for a long time promotes the formation of lead sulfate crystals on the lead plates. When the sulfate crystals get large enough, they'll form an electric short between the plates resulting in a dead battery.

Bottom line is as Mr. Ramsell said: charge it right away after using it! 

Edited by Chemi 2/28/2015 11:37 AM
Midget&gangster
Posted 2/28/2015 5:50 PM (#756622 - in reply to #756530)

Thanks for the advice guys. The batteries are 4 or 5 years old as I was I was told. I've owned the the boat for 2. My batteries are not bad but after a full charge it doesn't seem to last as long anymore. Thanks again.
Cody
Posted 3/1/2015 6:32 PM (#756758 - in reply to #756530)

As far as brand all I ever buy is Interstate Batteries, no issues, long life, good service.
Shep
Posted 3/2/2015 11:06 AM (#756843 - in reply to #756549)

fishhawk50 - 2/28/2015 8:33 AM

2 trolling motor batteries may be a bit extreme for a 17 inch boat! someone had too.. :)

Oh, inch. LOL

Edited by Shep 3/2/2015 11:07 AM
Captain
Posted 3/3/2015 7:59 AM (#757015 - in reply to #756843)

Shep - 3/2/2015 11:06 AM

fishhawk50 - 2/28/2015 8:33 AM

2 trolling motor batteries may be a bit extreme for a 17 inch boat! someone had too.. :)

Oh, inch. LOL
I want to see it on a bump board!
BNelson
Posted 3/3/2015 8:35 AM (#757022 - in reply to #756530)

I'm a big fan of AGM style...no maintenance... I've run Duration (farm n fleet brand) AGMs in both my boats w excellent results... I would not run anything else.
Dirt Esox
Posted 3/3/2015 2:03 PM (#757081 - in reply to #756530)

I'm giving the Everstart Maxx 29's a try. Identical in spec to other similar Johnson Controls produced brands but $99/ea vs $120+,and if something goes wrong and I'm in need of warranty help there are WalMarts everywhere in musky land.
Cowboyhannah
Posted 3/9/2015 8:08 PM (#758505 - in reply to #756530)

+3 on the EverMaxx...been using for years and never needed a replacement claim.
landyr
Posted 3/12/2015 12:03 PM (#759143 - in reply to #758505)

I ran AC Delco deep cycle batteries in my boat for 10 years with many charge cycles. I only replaced them because I was going on a week long trip to Canada and didn't want to take a chance on them failing.

I replaced them with Northern 31 deep cycle batteries and 1 failed within 2 years.

Back to AC Delco's.
Shep
Posted 3/12/2015 3:59 PM (#759192 - in reply to #759143)

Is that the Landy?

Isn't that somethin? Here comes somebody.

AC Delco is the same battery I was getting from Remy battery on 43rd and Lincoln.

Edited by Shep 3/12/2015 4:01 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)