Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Ipilot vs ipilot link

Reply New post
Message Subject: Ipilot vs ipilot link
tretsven6
Posted 2/23/2015 12:37 PM (#755702)
Subject: Ipilot vs ipilot link

This may be a dumb question, but what Is the difference between these two? I'm looking to upgrade my trolling motor and electronics setup and am wondering which one to choose. I appreciate any input
Chemi
Posted 2/23/2015 2:31 PM (#755716 - in reply to #755702)
Subject: RE: Ipilot vs ipilot link

iPilot is a stand-alone feature where the trolling motor uses built-in GPS and allows your boat to follow a heading, maintain a speed, record and replay a track, and hold to a spot (anchor), among other things. It includes a wireless remote.

iPilot Link includes all the above, and if you have a compatible Humminbird fishfinder with a compatible Lakemaster map chip, allows the trolling motor to communicate with the fishfinder and allow it to follow lake map contours, among other things.
tretsven6
Posted 2/23/2015 2:50 PM (#755719 - in reply to #755702)
Subject: Re: Ipilot vs ipilot link

Ok thank you! That's what I needed to know, we want one that follows the depth contours on auto pilot so it sounds like the link is the best choice for that
Mertot
Posted 3/14/2015 11:58 AM (#759567 - in reply to #755719)

Not to nitpick,but this was an important point of clarification for me when doing the same research as you: as chemi stated the i-link does not follow the actual depth reading contour--it follows the contour on the map chip.

Edited by Mertot 3/14/2015 12:00 PM
Chemi
Posted 3/14/2015 1:00 PM (#759586 - in reply to #759567)

Right, and it's a big reason why I didn't pay the extra $$ for iPilot-link. The map chips aren't very accurate on the lakes I fish in most, and this feature wouldn't be as useful for me as it might be for others. I do love the spot-lock and autopilot features of iPilot though.

I'd be very interested in upgrading if one of the companies leveraged side-imaging tech into a true follow-the-bottom feature, where you input the depth you want the boat to be in, and then the motor would follow that depth even if the lake changed since yesterday or you didn't have a contour map. I think it's do-able.
Toporanger
Posted 3/14/2015 10:39 PM (#759691 - in reply to #755702)

Huge amount of processing to do it real time, but probably can be done. If the depth isnt accurate on the map though, you can offset the depth in 1 foot increments. I went to a reservoir over the winter and it was at winter pool, I dropped my map depth 10 feet BAM it was right on the money and I was auto trolling the creek channel.

Check the lakemaster coverage before you buy the link, while I do believe its the most accurate maps on the market, it can vary how much coverage is in each lake.
Pal
Posted 3/17/2015 6:57 AM (#760075 - in reply to #759691)

I'd be very interested in upgrading if one of the companies leveraged side-imaging tech into a true follow-the-bottom feature, where you input the depth you want the boat to be in, and then the motor would follow that depth even if the lake changed since yesterday or you didn't have a contour map. I think it's do-able.

================================================

It is and was doable, a company called Pinpoint had such an animal years ago, but did not have a great following, and ended up selling to Motor Guide, who up to this point has done nothing close to what so many anglers like myself are looking for, and that is to have a trolling motor that follows a specific depth, not just a contour.

curleytail
Posted 3/17/2015 11:05 AM (#760113 - in reply to #755702)

I feel like I wouldn't have much use for the link feature. I'd say the depth I'm actually in more often than not is different than what it shows I should be in on the map. There's cases on the Chippewa flowage that the Link feature would run me right into an island, and conversely I've been 50+ yards from islands but the chip shows my loacation to be on land. Not talking about bogs that move either, actual islands.

In theory I can see the link being handy, especially for a walleye guy trolling or running rigs along a breakline or something. For casting, I am always moving my boat shallower and deeper to hit key points and turns on a piece of structure. Setting my boat at one contour and keeping it there would cause me to miss a lot.

Maybe I'm a little confused about how the link works, but in my mind it would not be worth spending much money for me to get. Many of the other features of Ipilot make a lot of sense though.

Tucker
Pal
Posted 3/17/2015 12:18 PM (#760141 - in reply to #760113)

I also fish the Chip, and agree that based on water levels for the flowage, you can quickly find yourself running aground following a contour.

I also fish the St Croix quite a bit, and the water levels fluctuate quite a bit on that river, so again, depth is key.

Chemi
Posted 3/17/2015 12:59 PM (#760150 - in reply to #760141)

The recent Humminbirds do have a feature that allows you to make a depth offset to account for the current water depth, like you might need to often in a reservoir or flowage.

My specific issue is that the bottom contours for the ~500 acre lakes I mostly fish in just flat out aren't very accurate.
curleytail
Posted 3/17/2015 1:14 PM (#760154 - in reply to #755702)

I agree - not very accurate, even on lakes where the depth doesn't change other than slightly based on wet or dry years.

On the Chip - I'm not even talking about just water levels. I'm talking about the chip showing my boat crossing over the middle of an island when I'm going through a channel. Seems the little channel going into Cedar Tops from Dorazio is this way. Could be that my chips are getting pretty old now too. Newer ones might be better.
kjgmh
Posted 3/18/2015 9:34 AM (#760283 - in reply to #755702)

You can by Humminbird Autochart and make your own charts that are exact. This will then work with the Ipilot Link.
elkslayer
Posted 3/18/2015 11:32 AM (#760305 - in reply to #760283)

kjgmh - 3/18/2015 9:34 AM

You can by Humminbird Autochart and make your own charts that are exact. This will then work with the Ipilot Link.

With the onyx you can add a zero line SD Chip from Humminbird and use both side imaging and sonar to create your own actual lake map. You can then view it 3D in the autochart Pro software. I have my new boat rigged to do this and plan to use it as soon as we get some softwater.

Cheers

Jake
Further North
Posted 3/18/2015 9:41 PM (#760409 - in reply to #760283)

I have AutoChart (you need Autochart Pro) and while it takes some time, it works exceptionally well with the Terrova with iLink.

I have used to to map several local lakes that I fish.

Edited by Further North 3/18/2015 9:43 PM
Grass
Posted 3/30/2015 12:39 PM (#762377 - in reply to #755702)

I've also been considering buying the ipilot link.
I would like to hear from some people that have used the follow the contour feature, how well it works and what you like and don't like about it.
Thanks in advance,

Grass,
kjgmh
Posted 3/30/2015 12:57 PM (#762389 - in reply to #760409)

Further North - 3/18/2015 9:41 PM

I have AutoChart (you need Autochart Pro) and while it takes some time, it works exceptionally well with the Terrova with iLink.

I have used to to map several local lakes that I fish.

With AutoChart's generated contours, you'll have access to all the detail and features of Humminbird LakeMaster® charts including:
- Depth Highlight (Depth Highlight Range)
- Water Level Offset
- Shallow Water Highlight
- Mark, Import, and Export waypoints
- i-Pilot Link
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)