Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> How tough is MN Now?

Message Subject: How tough is MN Now?
curleytail
Posted 2/16/2015 11:55 AM (#754034)
Subject: How tough is MN Now?

I'm starting this post for discussion, and possible fishing advice.

Have always thought about fishing some of the MN waters. Years ago I was drooling over the reports of multiple giants coming from Mill Lacs. Then it was Vermilion. Seemed many smaller lakes were kicking out numbers of big fish too, and anybody that took a trip to MN caught numbers of 45-50+ inch fish. I was in high school and college through most of the boom, and could never afford the money or time to make a trip happen.

I now live in Hayward, WI, and a trip to some of the lakes in Northern/Eastern part of Minnesota are only a few hour drive away. Could make a long weekend out of it a time or two a year, in addition to the week long trip to LOTW I took last year and am fortunate enough to do again this year.

Vermilion still interests me, but I rarely hear any glowing reports about it anymore. No doubt there are giants, but it seems like a struggle to boat much of anything.

Mille Lacs is almost out of the question I think. Not really hoping to take a trip for "the one" to bite, although catching "the one" would be something else.

Leech? Heard some about it. Get the feeling it doesn't get quite the pressure of Vermilion. Sounds like the fishing can still be very tough though, and the water is huge (BIG waves, long runs). Size of water wouldn't make me rule it out though.

What about some of the smaller lakes in the ~1,000-15,000 acre size? Some of them must have continued stocking, big fish, and a little less pressure?

For those that travel to MN, or live there and fish it, how is the fishing today, really? Are there some locations in northern MN where you don't have to play bumper boats to fish, where there is a fair chance at catching a 50, and still have a good chance at putting a few fish in the boat over a long weekend?

If anybody has any advice, information, stories, or thoughts, it would be interesting to hear. Feel free to brag, post pictures of how good it is and how big the fish are, or complain (while remaining civil, please!) about how the fishery just isn't that outstanding anymore.

Tucker

Edited by curleytail 2/16/2015 11:56 AM
cave run legend
Posted 2/16/2015 12:04 PM (#754036 - in reply to #754034)
Subject: Re: How tough is MN Now?

even though your a good fisherman, I would think about hiring a guide that specializes in big fish that fish it everyday the first day and use those spots the rest of the long weekend.
Travis A.
Posted 2/16/2015 12:55 PM (#754045 - in reply to #754034)

I won't pretend I know which lakes are still good, I'll leave that to the locals. I can offer my experience as an out of stater making an annual trip there though. 2013 was our first serious year of musky fishing. We decided to go to Mille Lacs in November to chase those fish of a lifetime muskies. We didn't get a guide and wanted to do it on our own. It took a lot of time driving to different boat ramps playing the wind, and safely navigating out to the spots. We fished 4 days and on the last day I caught one that was not too much under 40lbs. It wasn't a true giant on that lake but was our biggest musky ever so we were thrilled. We came back this year and added my sister into the mix. We figured, now we know the spots, we have one more angler throwing a bait upping our odds, we narrowed down our lure and color selection, wouldn't waste as much time navigating, etc. The water temp was spot on, we had the full moon on our side this time. We thought we had much better odds. Then the wind changed and came out of the north for a few days. We have a Lund 1900 Pro V but also have a huge motor, big kicker motor and 300 pounder that has to fish out of the back of the boat. We can handle a lot of waves but we know when to not be stupid. We can't handle what the guys in the Rangers can go into. We got out onto really good structure. Even some of the stuff we couldn't get to last year. Problem was, even though the water temperature was spot on, I think earlier in October it was warmer than usual and then it got too cold too fast so the ciscos weren't moved in as far as they were last year. Most of the boats were way further out than last year. Just goes to show you that even when you think you have better chances, one small thing can change everything. Getting a 60k Ranger is out of the question at this point so changing lakes is probably going to be the answer. We're thinking Vermillion this year. Should be more fishable structure and be able to get out of the wind more. We totally understand that you don't get a monster every time. And if it happens it will most likely be 1 person in the boat that gets one like it was the year before. Fine with that too. Giving it your all and getting beat is part of the game. But when you travel that far and spend a lot of money on gas, food, lodging, souvenirs, a stop at Thorne Brothers on the way, you don't want to not catch anything because of something that is out of your control and you're only able to fish 50-60% of the time. Someday we'll probably try that lake again in November, but the next time I'm back will probably be for a summer musky trip or smallmouth. And here's another reason. The first time you go anywhere is always the best. You don't know what to expect and you're constantly getting your mind blown. The next time has to live up to the memories and expectations that have been building up in your head over the past year. Now we are thinking hit a different lake each year or maybe every 2 years. Probably do Vermillion this year. The big ones are in there too and the chance of catching multiple fish has to be better. Maybe Leech next year or in the summer. There are obviously a lot of great lakes in MN, I think the key is to weigh all your options and really decide what will make a great TRIP/VACATION/MEMORY, not just base it all on that one fish. Are you hellbent on a 50 pound 55"+ or would you be happy with a 35lb 48'er and great scenery? Is it you and one other hardcore buddy or is it a couple guys and their dads that want action over trophies? Really take the whole thing into the decision and not just get fixated on chasing that monster. You'll have a much better overall trip and could still catch a big one. But for sure still make a trip somewhere, it gives you something to look forward to all year and plan with your buddies and discuss tactics, that's half the fun.
Flambeauski
Posted 2/16/2015 12:56 PM (#754047 - in reply to #754034)

I fished Vermilion last fall for a week and here are some of my observations:
We fished from the dam to the east end and saw a total of 4 other boats muskie fishing. All week.
We had a chance at some nice fish. Saw 3 or 4 that were bigger than the biggest I saw in WI that season.
When the weather was off (bright, warm, calm) we didn't see a fish. Nada.
IAJustin
Posted 2/16/2015 1:03 PM (#754051 - in reply to #754034)

your chance at a 50 is very good on most MN lakes that get stocked by the state. if you know the lake...at least as good and IMO..better than LOTW, I just like LOTW for size, diversity and scenery a whole lot better..and you get a ton of 42-48" fish on the woods with still a legit shot at a 50" . BUT.. Spend a week on one of the many "stocked lakes" in MN and you have a VERY high chance at a 50" if you know your shtuff.. Is there a fair amount of pressure on them? yes. Is it as good as it was 5-8 years ago, no. But I tell ya what- its still dam good!!!

Edited by IAJustin 2/16/2015 1:05 PM
Cfollow
Posted 2/16/2015 1:16 PM (#754057 - in reply to #754051)

Take a good hard look at all of the guides that used to fish full time all summer long in MN and ask yourself were they have gone and why? That should give you a small clue as to how tough MN is now compared to then. There also used to be some of the TV pros filming in MN on a regular basis. I haven't seen a summer casting show filmed and aired in MN in quite awhile.

Edited by Cfollow 2/16/2015 1:20 PM
Jeremy
Posted 2/16/2015 2:45 PM (#754074 - in reply to #754034)

There's really no muskies left in Mn.!

Honest. No...really.

Honest.
BNelson
Posted 2/16/2015 2:50 PM (#754075 - in reply to #754034)

I started fishing regularly in MN in 2006.. it has changed that is for sure... I have gone over there on avg 2-3 x per year.. In all but one trip did we not put at least 1, 50" in the boat and that was a shortened trip do to high water temps and crappy fishing...hours to hours from WI to MN there is still no comparison, I track hours and on avg we still are putting a 50"+ in the boat on avg every 35 hours in MN... I have hundreds and hundreds of hours in WI and oh yah, zero 50s... last year I only made it over for a long 4 day weekend and we still got a 50+ and one close... but the # of bites per day on avg has been going down...and I honestly think that is from the sheer # of times they are getting caught...guides over there pounding day in and day out only compounds that... glad to see some have left for "greener pastures" .. Like Justin said, pick any of the lakes that are stocked and you are going to find a good population of muskies and lots of big ones... what I have noticed is you just can't go out and expect "dumb" fish like you could 5-8 yrs ago...sure when the window opens they chow bucktails but getting more quality bites isn't just going out and slinging double 10s around... plenty of lakes like LSC will give up easier 50s but I still enjoy fishing the MN waters...

Edited by BNelson 2/16/2015 2:54 PM
jlong
Posted 2/16/2015 3:04 PM (#754077 - in reply to #754034)

When choosing a destination you really need to consider your goal. I agree that MN is not what it once was in regard to the "new reservoir syndrome" and the perception of "easy" fish. But, there are still plenty of BIG muskies in MN.

If your goal is to simply catch a 50 incher, then MN should be on your radar screen. If you are looking for less pressured water or a more remote setting, than you may want to look elsewhere.

I still make a few trips to MN every season and enjoy every minute I'm there.
ToddM
Posted 2/16/2015 3:14 PM (#754080 - in reply to #754034)

Brad if by greener you mean turquoise you would be correct:-)

Edited by ToddM 2/16/2015 3:15 PM
dami0101
Posted 2/16/2015 3:20 PM (#754082 - in reply to #754057)

Cfollow - 2/16/2015 1:16 PM

Take a good hard look at all of the guides that used to fish full time all summer long in MN and ask yourself were they have gone and why? That should give you a small clue as to how tough MN is now compared to then. There also used to be some of the TV pros filming in MN on a regular basis. I haven't seen a summer casting show filmed and aired in MN in quite awhile.

Does Keyes count as a summer casting show? I'm just wondering because they do at least one episode in MN a year.
Musky Brian
Posted 2/16/2015 5:45 PM (#754119 - in reply to #754082)

pretty much echoing what others have said....there's a reason some of the traveling guides are bailing. And it certainly isn't because they are slamming big fish right and left like they used to. Still plenty of opportunities for quality fish on enough lakes, but I think most would probably agree if you just started fishing up there now you are a bit late to the party as many lakes are not as good as they once were in recent years

Edited by Musky Brian 2/16/2015 5:47 PM
Cfollow
Posted 2/16/2015 7:39 PM (#754180 - in reply to #754082)

dami0101 - 2/16/2015 3:20 PM

Cfollow - 2/16/2015 1:16 PM

Does Keyes count as a summer casting show? I'm just wondering because they do at least one episode in MN a year.

Sure, it does but I doubt the original poster wants to head down to Fox lake in southern MN and fish a pea green soup. The show he had this year was also put together from two separate trips down there. Mike also isn't afraid to put two fish in the bag and call it a show, just saying.

Edited by Cfollow 2/16/2015 7:48 PM
FlyPiker
Posted 2/16/2015 9:26 PM (#754208 - in reply to #754034)
Subject: RE: How tough is MN Now?

As a MN angler, I would say yeah, much tougher. Still a good shot at those big girls though. If you are going for those 2006ish results you'd do much better hitting up some of those Great Lakes systems that are blowing up right now. My personal "#*^@ I want to go there" trip is Melton Hill, TN. Big fish and an escape from this long winter, what organs can I sell to get the $? As far as MN goes you'll have to be willing to put in the time, going out at night can help *hint hint, wink wink

Best of luck in 2015 wherever you choose to wet your line.
MuskieFever
Posted 2/16/2015 10:09 PM (#754221 - in reply to #754034)

Educated fish, the musky boom, a few boiling hot summers, and preexisting populations to name a few. MN still offers many of fantastic opportunities, we as anglers just have to fish smarter. Numbers and giants across the board are down from the early 2000's but that shouldn't be a surprise, a fishery can't sustain a peak forever. However, there are still more than a handful of lakes that offer very good fishing that haven't been completely exposed. I personally think I need to spend more hours at night, especially during mid summer.
ARmuskyaddict
Posted 2/16/2015 10:29 PM (#754224 - in reply to #754034)

Call me naive, but I'd assume if the guides were staying booked on their home waters they would go ahead and stay there. Maybe the guides lake hopping are going after the clients chasing the hot bite???
MuskieFever
Posted 2/16/2015 11:37 PM (#754233 - in reply to #754034)

^I'd agree. We have many lakes here that get 'hot' but simply not LSC hot. If you were a guide, wouldn't you go there too?
WiscoMusky
Posted 2/17/2015 12:06 AM (#754235 - in reply to #754233)

Of course, you are right MuskieFever... Thats exactly why many guides have left. Musky fishing pressure is getting worse all across North America, it is inevitable because there is more and more serious musky fisherman coming about every year. It isnt just a Minnesota thing. I have lakes that I have fished for years with very little pressure, from remote Wisconsin, Minnesota and the UP, and now it isnt uncommon to have multiple guys on each lake, every time I go
Reef Hawg
Posted 2/17/2015 12:44 AM (#754237 - in reply to #754034)

Having been fishing Muskies in MN since 2003, I've seen the changes others have mentioned. With that said my family/friends and I feel fortunate to have experienced what was, aside from Green Bay, the biggest trophy Musky explosion of all time, based on the program put in place by Mr. Strand and the boys. Having a couple large lakes in the northern reaches of the state nearly to myself and my family for a couple of years worth of trips and vacations, was just icing on the cake. While I knew that a 50 on about every other trip, fish blasting topwater, eating out away from the boat, having spots to ourselves for days/seasons, was definitely going to come to an end, we still make the worthwhile trek over to MN.

Fishing strategies have changed, and with family/kids, trips are down to one 3-5 day spans per year vs 3 days every 3 weeks. With that in mind the major exploration days are behind me over there, and I'm relegated to going to the places I've learned during those exploring years. We tend to avoid the seasonal peaks and some of the places I fell in love with a decade ago, because of the pressure. But while we've come to expect less from our MN experience now, one of us is typically rewarded with our longest fish of the year from U.S. waters at some point during the trip. Knowing there are a few knee shakers swimming in the waters I'm fishing is one thing. Knowing I'll likely get a shot at a really good one during our stay, is largely why I take Musky trips away from home. MN still affords that in the numerous areas we fish.

Grab a good partner and head over for a weekend or a long day. Exploring is a large portion of the reward. And no matter what happens, no fishing trip is ever wasted time.

Edited by Reef Hawg 2/17/2015 12:46 AM
happy hooker
Posted 2/17/2015 8:04 AM (#754275 - in reply to #754237)

Born and raised in MInn my whole life definitely tougher but you also need to research more too,,,a lot has to do with who the fisheries manager is for a givin area and how fond he is of muskies, there's one part of the state that's getting well taken care of. ALso some of these lakes It looks like the dnr is gonna see if natural repo has taken root that's good news-bad news natural repo but less fish per acre. I pitty the poor Roosevelt,Saulk River,pokegama recently stocked lakes because when the word gets out on those first generation fish being "ready come and get it" those just three new hopes will.get the crap beat out of them. Good news is muskies are finding their way into things,the lake we saw the most fish on last year isn't even a designated muskie lake or ever stocked
it would be NICE if the dnr would let the muskies Inc chapters do more private stocking especially in the metro with converting the abandoned tiger lakes to purestrains "too shallow dark and small my #as that perfectly describes your number one brood stock lake Rebecca and the fish do well there..They Say never throw anything away it always comes back in style,looks like that's the case with leech forgotten during the peak but looks good now.b

Edited by happy hooker 2/17/2015 8:06 AM
Propster
Posted 2/17/2015 8:14 AM (#754280 - in reply to #754034)

Take a deep breath, throw in a comma or period now and then. You'll be fine.
happy hooker
Posted 2/17/2015 8:56 AM (#754303 - in reply to #754280)

There,their,they're ,,punkyewation and grammer is old skool

Edited by happy hooker 2/17/2015 8:57 AM
jonnysled
Posted 2/17/2015 8:59 AM (#754304 - in reply to #754303)

i got dizzy trying to read it ...
Kirby Budrow
Posted 2/17/2015 4:05 PM (#754399 - in reply to #754034)

I go more than 35 hours without 50 inchers and I live here! I only had one 50 in the boat in 2013, but I had 4 in the boat in 2014

BNelson obviously knows the lakes he is fishing very well and has good information about them before hand. That, combined with his abilities, allow him to get a 50 every 35 hours. I suspect that very few people have that kind of success...unless you're a guide or have nothing to do but fish every day. Though I don't keep records of time fished...so I can't say how many hours it takes me. Maybe it's 35 hours, maybe 60, I don't know.

I was a little young to have been in on the mid 2000's bonanza as well, though I've been muskie fishing here for over 16 years. It wasn't until 2009 that the first 50 incher entered my boat. Since then, I've learned how to target big fish consistently, but 50's are not easy to catch. I don't care who you are! The fact was that the lakes I fished back then, did not have a lot of 50's. I didn't have the confidence or money to go to vermilion, or Mille Lacs, or the other lakes that were putting out monsters. I stuck to my home waters in Itasca County, where it's very difficult to get a 50 inch fish. Even on those lakes, the decline in big fish and numbers is very apparent. Two factors, in my opinion contribute to it. The first is outrageous fishing pressure, and the second is a lack of stocking. I'm at the point now where I want to move to Canada! I still love fishing these lakes, but the amount of rude behavior and lack of fishing ethics among fisherman take some of the fun out of it. Even Night fishing is getting to be crowded. Who's fault is it? All of ours! I know I've influenced a lot of people to take up muskie fishing. The growth in the sport is good, but maybe we've exceeded our carrying capacity?
FAT-SKI
Posted 2/17/2015 4:17 PM (#754402 - in reply to #754399)

KIRBY SAID " I still love fishing these lakes, but the amount of rude behavior and lack of fishing ethics among fisherman take some of the fun out of it. Even Night fishing is getting to be crowded. Who's fault is it? All of ours! I know I've influenced a lot of people to take up muskie fishing. The growth in the sport is good, but maybe we've exceeded our carrying capacity?

IMHO this is one of the better quotes I have read on not just this thread but many threads. This could not be more true.

Well said Kirby and I totally agree
timhutson1
Posted 2/17/2015 5:03 PM (#754418 - in reply to #754034)

Do you guys think all of this (fishing being tougher) goes for LOTW also? I went for the first time last year and it was very tough but I would be interested to hear what the regulars think.
BenR
Posted 2/17/2015 5:21 PM (#754420 - in reply to #754034)

I enjoy MN, spent a day with Kevin Cochran last year and was well worth it, great guide to spend the day with. The best part of low density big fish water is that any cast could be the one. The anticipation is almost better than the catching.
happy hooker
Posted 2/17/2015 5:31 PM (#754422 - in reply to #754402)

I think a few of you are aware of the long time Minn guide who's doing the research project right now. Scary where the fisherie may be going but gives alot of evidence on how to fix it. Stocking is way down but the Minn dnr has always said they manage it has a trophy fisheries not a numbers one. Mile lacs is still kicking out mid 50 fish and that's what they wanted not hundreds of fish sitting on the north end sand. Right now it looks like the future is a home run derby big fish or strike out.
DonPursch
Posted 2/17/2015 5:55 PM (#754433 - in reply to #754034)

I'm just not blowing my horn here really I'm not
Please don't get me wrong,I love my ranger also.I read all of this and I wish I could just
Tell every one at my cost,to come and just expieriance Rowan lake, you can't put your own boat in here float plane only accses only and just see what is in here.just like Alaska I do believe Rowan Lake is the last frontier for untapped true giant MUSKIES in very pressured waters by a lot of very good fisherman now days.please don't take this wrong I'm just saying what still really is out there to truly fish giant and very uneducated fish thanks for reading. Always Calm Waters To You All.
Musky Brian
Posted 2/17/2015 6:04 PM (#754435 - in reply to #754418)

timhutson1 - 2/17/2015 5:03 PM

Do you guys think all of this (fishing being tougher) goes for LOTW also? I went for the first time last year and it was very tough but I would be interested to hear what the regulars think.

I think LOTW has changed in some aspects, a lot of old timers claim it used to be easier to catch big fish and weedbeds have been disappearing/gone at an alarming rate because of the rusty's.....However, with that being said, it ain't that though on the vast majority of weeks
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)