Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> Fishing in Hawaii

Message Subject: Fishing in Hawaii
Irish02bk
Posted 1/28/2015 2:17 PM (#750697)
Subject: Fishing in Hawaii

Anybody been fishing in Hawaii? I'm heading there next month for my honeymoon. Wanted to see if anybody has a recommendation for a charter? We are staying on Oahu and will have a car to drive wherever.
Clammer
Posted 1/28/2015 2:41 PM (#750701 - in reply to #750697)
Subject: Re: Fishing in Hawaii

Fished for Peacock Bass many years ago, and it was a neat outing. Sorry, way to long ago as to remember the outfitter.
Hope you enjoy Hawaii, it is pretty spectacular, and a wonderful place for a honeymoon!
BrianF.
Posted 1/28/2015 3:04 PM (#750711 - in reply to #750697)

No experience here, but let me throw something out there that may be of interest. While visiting Oahu with my wife and in-laws (retired military), we went to the military base known as Ft. Kam to see where they used to live back when stationed there many years ago. Their home on the base was right on the shores of Pearl Harbor. We were walking along the beach and came upon a guy wading the shallow waters with a fly rod. I started chatting him up. He told me that Pearl Harbor has world class fishing and that he had personally caught bonefish into double digits. He wasn't himself military, but said folks can gain access to the beach there on a daily guest pass; which little known fact has kept the fishing pressure down to almost nothing. He was the only fisherman we saw on miles of shoreline. Oh, and we saw fish. Gawd did we see fish. There were mullet being chased constantly by gamefish, including many black tip sharks just a cast or two off-shore. I dunno if this is what you had in mind, but if shallow, near shore, wade fishing on sandy flats is what you are seeking, this might be worth looking into. No need for a guide or to rent a boat. The fish are there and from what I understand, few know of this opportunity. Oh, the jets taking off right over the beach every so often is not like how you envision a Hawaiian excursion, but pretty cool in their own way I suppose. Brian

Edited by BrianF. 1/28/2015 3:07 PM
Clammer
Posted 1/28/2015 3:22 PM (#750714 - in reply to #750697)

^ Brian, that sounds pretty cool!
BenR
Posted 1/28/2015 4:22 PM (#750716 - in reply to #750697)

HI bonefishing is a looked over thing:-) really bruisers.
dfkiii
Posted 1/28/2015 5:54 PM (#750722 - in reply to #750697)

I did deep sea charter off of the big island for billfish. We got a number of blackfin tuna, sailfish, and mahi mahi. Alas, no marlin.

It was fun but the rollers had my wife feeling uneasy after a few hours. If you are going out deep check the weather forecast and try to schedule for when the wind isn't honking.

Congrats and enjoy your honeymoon.
ToddM
Posted 1/28/2015 6:49 PM (#750730 - in reply to #750697)

Been twice once in July and honeymoon in January. Did charters both times. Winter months not the best time for marlin. Some whites around but that is about it. Skunked then. Rough seas too. The whales are in town so those are fun to see.
JKahler
Posted 1/28/2015 11:16 PM (#750762 - in reply to #750697)

Not fishing, but a shark cage dive with North Shore Shark Adventures out of Haleiwa is a good time! Well worth $100.
Irish02bk
Posted 1/29/2015 9:40 AM (#750804 - in reply to #750762)

JKahler - 1/28/2015 11:16 PM

Not fishing, but a shark cage dive with North Shore Shark Adventures out of Haleiwa is a good time! Well worth $100.

do you need your diving cert to do this?
JKahler
Posted 1/29/2015 11:36 AM (#750828 - in reply to #750697)

No cert, it's a floating cage and you use snorkels, or float to the surface to get a breath of air if you panic like me with a snorkel. I saw a lot of sharks when I went 2 years ago! Saw a whale surface while riding back to shore. They're mostly Galapagos sharks, not Great Whites or anything super crazy.

Also surfed with Uncle Bryan's (tent on the beach near Haleiwa) and it was a blast! That was $80/2hrs with an instructor. Long boards, so pretty easy to catch a wave. They also rent stand up paddle boards and you can go up a river. Lots and lots of sea turtles!

Worst traffic ever on Oahu, so don't drive around 6-8am, or 3-5 if you can help it. They are very courteous drivers, they actually let you merge into a lane (Midwest/MN drivers could learn a thing or two!). The North Shore is pretty laid back, east side is very nice (Kailua). Honolulu is a zoo, I wasn't a fan. Pearl Harbor is very interesting, but will take up from half to most of a day. Didn't go west at all. Great hiking on the island if you're into that. Unreal Hawaii is a great Blog site that helped me find fun things to do there.

Edited by JKahler 1/29/2015 11:38 AM
muskymandan
Posted 1/30/2015 7:18 PM (#751097 - in reply to #750697)
Subject: RE: Fishing in Hawaii

I have been charter fishing off the coast of Kauai in late December. Man the waves were rough, rough, rough!!!! I went out on a 42' foot boat on 14' to 18' seas BIG rollers. "NEVER AGAIN!!!" Since I rented the whole charter by myself I instructed the Captain to return to shore since I was tired of staring at the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket! I caught 2 skipjack on the trip but please do yourself a favor and plan to go on a day with the best possible wave conditions. By the way in Hawaii there is no fishing license required as the people of Hawaii believe all beaches/water and fish are owned by the people. Pretty cool
Zib
Posted 2/3/2015 12:40 AM (#751674 - in reply to #750711)

BrianF. - 1/28/2015 4:04 PM

No experience here, but let me throw something out there that may be of interest. While visiting Oahu with my wife and in-laws (retired military), we went to the military base known as Ft. Kam to see where they used to live back when stationed there many years ago. Their home on the base was right on the shores of Pearl Harbor. We were walking along the beach and came upon a guy wading the shallow waters with a fly rod. I started chatting him up. He told me that Pearl Harbor has world class fishing and that he had personally caught bonefish into double digits. He wasn't himself military, but said folks can gain access to the beach there on a daily guest pass; which little known fact has kept the fishing pressure down to almost nothing. He was the only fisherman we saw on miles of shoreline. Oh, and we saw fish. Gawd did we see fish. There were mullet being chased constantly by gamefish, including many black tip sharks just a cast or two off-shore. I dunno if this is what you had in mind, but if shallow, near shore, wade fishing on sandy flats is what you are seeking, this might be worth looking into. No need for a guide or to rent a boat. The fish are there and from what I understand, few know of this opportunity. Oh, the jets taking off right over the beach every so often is not like how you envision a Hawaiian excursion, but pretty cool in their own way I suppose. Brian

Pearl Harbor has world class fishing? When I visited Pearl Harbor back in 1997 I would have never thought it was a world class fishery. The water was very dark & had oil covering the surface from the oil that's been seeping out of the Arizona & Utah since they were sunk back in 1941.

I stayed on Maui & after driving around Oahu & walking around Honolulu & Waikki Beach for a day I'm glad we stayed on Maui. There were lots of charters on Maui. Many were going after sail fish.
kkrieg
Posted 2/4/2015 9:33 AM (#751856 - in reply to #750697)

went to hawaii a couple years ago for our 25th wedding anniversary. we hit 3 island. it was what she always wanted to do, but she made the the mistake of asking me what i wanted to do there. FISH was the answer. she said ok was only planning to go out one time because of the $ but when i got there the $ was not so bad so i went 3 different time on different charters. the first one was on "no problem charter" don't remember the island. the captian was a woman captian lee went out on a 4 hour charter that lasted almost 8 she said as long as the fish are biting we stay. I caught the short billed spearfish cousin to the marlin but does not get very big the one you see in the pic is = to a 52"muskie. you only had to travel about half hour to get to fishing area. we also had a tuna on that maybe was close to 300lbs got off boat side, reeled for almost 3 hours.
the next charters were "die hard charters" very intense people and "start me up". caught mahi mahi on both had to travel 3 to 4 hours out to fish both 10 to 12 hours long went with other people one was 4 people the other 5 people took turns reeling in fish. overall well worth the $. you will have to look them up on line to find out the island that are off of.
kkrieg
Posted 2/4/2015 9:36 AM (#751858 - in reply to #750697)

pics messed up will get them in later
kkrieg
Posted 2/4/2015 11:41 AM (#751887 - in reply to #751858)

pics

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(hawaiispear2.jpg)

(hawaiispear.jpg)

(GEDC0163 (640x480).jpg)

(GEDC0169 (640x480)222.jpg)

(GEDC0251222.jpg)

(GEDC0086 (640x480)222.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments hawaiispear2.jpg (55KB - 155 downloads)
Attachments hawaiispear.jpg (49KB - 147 downloads)
Attachments GEDC0163 (640x480).jpg (190KB - 157 downloads)
Attachments GEDC0169 (640x480)222.jpg (158KB - 146 downloads)
Attachments GEDC0251222.jpg (104KB - 158 downloads)
Attachments GEDC0086 (640x480)222.jpg (112KB - 165 downloads)
MuskyFlyGuy
Posted 2/8/2015 12:17 PM (#752540 - in reply to #750697)

If you get to the big island, I can recommend Captain Howard Whitcomb out of Kailua-Kona. A knowledgeable Captain, who explains what he is doing and a terrific deckhand. 808-937-4111.
Tom
Irish02bk
Posted 3/4/2015 4:40 PM (#757348 - in reply to #750697)

Well we went out last sunday. Ended up catching two mahi mahi, and had 4 other fish hit baits but never got them on. Was pretty windy 10ft rollers but the wife had fun and didn't get sick and said she'd do it again... bringing back 6lbs of fillets.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)