Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Well........At least we got a pike."
- (Added by: chadw18)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> Got. Wood ????

Message Subject: Got. Wood ????
Muskybill50
Posted 1/25/2015 9:09 PM (#750318)
Subject: Got. Wood ????

Hey I really wanted to try to start making some cranks and gliders . But I am just wondering where is the best place to find wood. I've seen blanks I can get from Jann's but I want to get some red and white cedar. I just need some places to look for it and maybe basswood and any other you all recommend. Thanks
spoonpluggergino
Posted 1/26/2015 5:23 AM (#750328 - in reply to #750318)
Subject: Re: Got. Wood ????

I do not know where you located, you can get really nice assortment of wood at Owl Wood located in Chicago land area. You can get balsa wood at Hobby Link and Hobby Lobby. Home Depot and Menards has some wood you could use
Here is Owl Wood link https://www.owlhardwood.com/
Gino
2roofmusky
Posted 1/27/2015 5:50 PM (#750597 - in reply to #750328)

Stay away from basswood! Tuff Shad had major issues with it blowing paint and clear coat off within minutes of going into the water. I've heard that Drifter is experiencing similar issues with the newer runs of Loke Lures made of basswood.
Landonfish
Posted 1/27/2015 6:54 PM (#750609 - in reply to #750318)

I make all my lures out of poplar I buy from lowes you can get cedar there too. If you use basswood or any wood for that matter make sure you seal well. Any little bit of water that gets to the wood will cause it to swell and cause the paint problems mentioned.

Edited by Landonfish 1/27/2015 6:55 PM
mnmusky
Posted 1/27/2015 7:48 PM (#750615 - in reply to #750318)

I love basswood baits. Seal em right they last long enough to get a few. I also think baits are in their prime when paint is missing and hook rashed. Same goes for Balsa. after they get bit a few times, patch em up and catch some more. Sure beats a pretty plastic bait that never gets bit and has little personality IMO.
Fish and Whistle
Posted 1/28/2015 12:10 PM (#750677 - in reply to #750318)

+1 on Owl. That place is great and has several locations. The guys that work there are always interested to see the lures you are working on and having given me some great suggestions (and some really exotic scrap pieces to test out).

I love basswood baits as well. I'm pretty sure Gregg Nimmer uses all basswood and the Wolly Poggs I own have taken a beating and are still champions.
spoonpluggergino
Posted 1/28/2015 12:24 PM (#750680 - in reply to #750318)

I always stop at Gregg Nimmer booth at the Chicago musky expo, He makes some really cool baits made out of basswood.
It's all about properly sealing the wood when making baits, I have heard the same about poplar wood and I do not have any problems with poplar either

Gino
Muskybill50
Posted 1/28/2015 6:50 PM (#750731 - in reply to #750318)

Thanks for the info I am from West Virginia so I would say owl hardwood is probably not an option. And I have never seen any ceder at lowes haven't checked Home Depot yet but I will
spinnerbayt
Posted 1/29/2015 1:08 PM (#750850 - in reply to #750318)

Not sure where in WV you are from but the South Ridge Lowes has cedar boards. I've never used cedar myself but know many that do. May have to try some.
crazywayne
Posted 2/2/2015 6:51 AM (#751475 - in reply to #750318)

Why don't you look for a saw mill out in the country there must be one I have several, I use White Cedar and some Maple. They may have scraps to pick from in exchange for a lure.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)