Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Rules of Manhood #5: Women who claim they "love to watch sports" must be treated asspies until they demonstrate knowledge of the game and the ability to drink as much as the other sports watchers.
- (Added by: Snowcrest 6)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> Fourth Annual World Championship Lure Building Contest Voting

Message Subject: Fourth Annual World Championship Lure Building Contest Voting
sworrall
Posted 1/11/2015 1:45 PM (#747781)
Subject: Fourth Annual World Championship Lure Building Contest Voting

We will have separate polls for each division of the contest, and the bait images will be displayed in each poll. You will be able to vote only once for your favorite in each poll.

The auction will take place online here at MuskieFIRST to benefit the Future Anglers Foundation and the NPAA Kids and Family Fishing program with the auction date to be announced before the Milwaukee Muskie Expo. Expect a good crowd in the chatroom that night!

Here's the lures that were entered.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(DSC_3343.jpg)

(DSC_3345.jpg)

(DSC_3348.jpg)

(DSC_3349.jpg)

(DSC_3350.jpg)

(DSC_3351.jpg)

(DSC_3352.jpg)

(DSC_3353.jpg)

(DSC_3354.jpg)

(DSC_3355.jpg)

(DSC_3357.jpg)

(DSC_3358.jpg)

(DSC_3359.jpg)

(DSC_3360.jpg)

(DSC_3361.jpg)

(DSC_3362.jpg)

(DSC_3365.jpg)

(DSC_3367.jpg)

(DSC_3368.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DSC_3343.jpg (41KB - 162 downloads)
Attachments DSC_3345.jpg (47KB - 203 downloads)
Attachments DSC_3348.jpg (34KB - 157 downloads)
Attachments DSC_3349.jpg (35KB - 167 downloads)
Attachments DSC_3350.jpg (33KB - 180 downloads)
Attachments DSC_3351.jpg (29KB - 163 downloads)
Attachments DSC_3352.jpg (34KB - 161 downloads)
Attachments DSC_3353.jpg (33KB - 156 downloads)
Attachments DSC_3354.jpg (32KB - 189 downloads)
Attachments DSC_3355.jpg (34KB - 156 downloads)
Attachments DSC_3357.jpg (33KB - 165 downloads)
Attachments DSC_3358.jpg (32KB - 187 downloads)
Attachments DSC_3359.jpg (34KB - 161 downloads)
Attachments DSC_3360.jpg (30KB - 193 downloads)
Attachments DSC_3361.jpg (34KB - 158 downloads)
Attachments DSC_3362.jpg (28KB - 174 downloads)
Attachments DSC_3365.jpg (40KB - 163 downloads)
Attachments DSC_3367.jpg (34KB - 168 downloads)
Attachments DSC_3368.jpg (46KB - 147 downloads)
CedarLakeMusky
Posted 1/11/2015 3:41 PM (#747832 - in reply to #747781)
Subject: Re: Fourth Annual World Championship Lure Building Contest Voting

Great work on the lures everyone! Good luck! Let's bid these lures up the night of the auction and raise some money!

Scott
woodieb8
Posted 1/11/2015 4:09 PM (#747842 - in reply to #747781)

sweet work guys love nu 19
polarkraftdave
Posted 1/11/2015 5:17 PM (#747864 - in reply to #747781)

Nice work to all the builders
castmaster
Posted 1/11/2015 6:28 PM (#747893 - in reply to #747781)

Doesn't appear to be pics of lure #002 and 009. Were those #s not used or are 2 lures missing from the line up.

Somewhat surprised to see so few entries. Cool to see some neat new ideas, amazing paint jobs and the quality of craftsmanship.

Great job to the entrants

Edited by castmaster 1/11/2015 6:29 PM
esox911
Posted 1/11/2015 7:08 PM (#747918 - in reply to #747893)

Looks like the total entries is way down from years past.
Bluesport77
Posted 1/11/2015 8:10 PM (#747930 - in reply to #747781)
Subject: RE: Fourth Annual World Championship Lure Building Contest Voting

Out of curiosity will there be better photos of the baits for the voting because some of the pics are not clear at all to show the true details of the baits
sworrall
Posted 1/11/2015 11:42 PM (#747961 - in reply to #747781)

Those are the lures that were displayed. I don't think I missed any.

In the meantime, I'll see what I can do. No hurry at all, the event runs through the February Expo. I'd like to shoot them all in a light box against a black backlit background. That's about a $1200 shoot.

As I said, I'll see what I can do.

SolarFall
Posted 1/12/2015 8:01 AM (#747974 - in reply to #747961)

You don't need a light box, best results i've found in terms of easy lure photographing comes from doing the shooting in natural light, you can get pretty decent shots even on modern day cellphone cameras if you do it in natural light. if you have friend that has a DSLR even better then you can shoot in RAW and do little bit of post processing if you don't nail the shots the first time.
Fish and Whistle
Posted 1/12/2015 8:30 AM (#747978 - in reply to #747781)

Castmaster is correct. A couple entries are missing.
sworrall
Posted 1/12/2015 9:24 AM (#748003 - in reply to #747974)

SolarFall - 1/12/2015 8:01 AM

You don't need a light box, best results i've found in terms of easy lure photographing comes from doing the shooting in natural light, you can get pretty decent shots even on modern day cellphone cameras if you do it in natural light. if you have friend that has a DSLR even better then you can shoot in RAW and do little bit of post processing if you don't nail the shots the first time.

There was no natural light in the hall there, it was really dark. We have the cameras and necessary peripherals, believe me. Please send me a PM as to what lures are missing so I can check with the Expo folks.
Slime King
Posted 1/12/2015 1:05 PM (#748062 - in reply to #747781)

There was definitely a glider that was there that isnt pictured and I thought it was the best looking bait of the lot.
CedarLakeMusky
Posted 1/26/2015 3:19 PM (#750424 - in reply to #747781)

Sure would be nice to see this getting more attention. The sooner the lures are posted for voting the more votes they should get is what I would think. Which in turn would help the auction and raise more money being there are such few entries. Been entering a lure for 3 years in a row now and I think this will be my last unless something changes. Just my opinion.

Scott

sworrall
Posted 1/29/2015 7:16 PM (#750914 - in reply to #747781)

CedarLakeMusky,
I am on the road in North Dakota on a shoot for Pure Fishing since Sunday, working 18 hour days. We have to pay the bills in order to offer you a free board to show off your art and share the basement bait building experience, right?

We were asked to get new shots taken of the lures after we posted the images during the Chicago show, which I could not do because I don't have them and shipping them was too much of a risk. John shot them per the requests sent to us as soon as he could get the shoot set up.

I received those yesterday while traveling and will post them tonight. Every lure entered will be pictured.

Remember, this runs through the Milwaukee Show, and the lures received excellent attention at Chicago. The Poll will be placed before the Milwaukee Show opens, and voting will take place until the show closes.

I'm not hard to get in touch with, feel free to call at 7156809265 with any further questions.

The auction will involve an audience FAR wider than the hundreds of thousands that visit MuskieFIRST.
sworrall
Posted 1/29/2015 11:39 PM (#750950 - in reply to #750914)

Here are the images John shot. I will have them properly labeled before the end of the week.

(014.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 014.jpg (49KB - 172 downloads)
sworrall
Posted 1/29/2015 11:59 PM (#750953 - in reply to #750424)

CedarLakeMusky - 1/26/2015 3:19 PM

Sure would be nice to see this getting more attention. The sooner the lures are posted for voting the more votes they should get is what I would think. Which in turn would help the auction and raise more money being there are such few entries. Been entering a lure for 3 years in a row now and I think this will be my last unless something changes. Just my opinion.

Scott

I am pretty sure it was crystal clear this contest runs through the Milwaukee show. The voting polls will be up before that show, and will close off after. There will be ample time for interested visitors to vote.

The auction will, as I said above, be offered to far more folks than just the membership here.

I will say this; we listened to several folks and made the requested changes, including TWO shows featuring your lures, instead of one, new trophies (and they are very nice...) and an online auction here instead of one at the show in front of far fewer potential bidders. The Expo folks man and provide a booth free for the contest at both shows, and MuskieFIRST offers the auction venue, connection to the NPAA, and more.

sworrall
Posted 1/30/2015 10:21 AM (#750987 - in reply to #747781)

What 'categories' would you like to see? It is certainly possible to make a few changes before the show in semantics. More on a bit, we are on the road.
CedarLakeMusky
Posted 1/30/2015 11:19 AM (#750997 - in reply to #747781)

Now why would you change the categories in the middle of the contest. Weren't the rules already established before the contest started.
sworrall
Posted 1/30/2015 11:48 AM (#751001 - in reply to #747781)

Yes, I am asking if the existing categories need to a be 'clarified', not changed. Remember, MuskieFIRST did not write the rules. John volunteers to run the event for the Expo and did his best to expand and clarify the categories. Semantics.

Thanks!

sworrall
Posted 2/1/2015 12:44 PM (#751342 - in reply to #747781)

OK
Let's clarify what happened last year and why MuskieFIRST is involved again with the contest this year.

Last year, the Expo just plain took the contest over without discussing anything with us, despite all the entires come from the artists on this board (a copyrighted portion of OFM's overall publication platform), and even advertised it here without our permission or consent, took an advertiser we had on board we had just a bit before lost and advertised them here as the title sponsor of a contest they basically just hijacked.. (they still do advertise them over my strenuous objections, this is way beyond our permissions here)... so we actually lost money on a free contest designed to benefit the NPAA we were offering in concert with the expo in the past.

None of this has a thing to do with John; he is completely dedicated to the contest and his personal motivations are to display your art for everyone to enjoy. It mostly was a confused and perhaps unintentional move by the Expo management. We had a few rather heated conversations during and after the train wreck that occurred last year, did our best to understand the needs expressed here, and reorganized the contest with the auction on OFM, not at the expo, offering our 'involvement' in a cooperative effort to fix what happened last year.

The Milwaukee Expo will be the main focus of the event beyond the busy voting that occurred in Chicago. LOTS of folks stopped by, enjoyed the lures, and voted. The online voting doesn't need to be up for an extended period of time. In today's world of social media, the 'now' gets it done; there will be plenty of votes on and offline.

It's important that the online voting takes place as close to the time of the auction as is possible for obvious reasons.

So last year OFM had basically ZERO involvement and couldn't change a thing, had no involvement in the structure, voting, rules or anything else last year. This year, we stepped in and informed the expo folks that the artists on this board would not be allowed to be exploited, and although it's not exactly we would have done things, agreed with the contest format as acceptable and moved forward.

I have received a flurry of emails and PMs about this. I am quite aware of the couple folks who have done their best to submarine this effort, and we have tolerated all we will tolerate of the pot stirring from that quarter. I suggest they step out and leave the good folks who are participating to benefit the NPAA Kids and Family Fishing program. We have about 20 lures in the contest, and all are excellent representations of the craft. The voting is fair, expanded widely, and the rewards will be much larger for the winners AND all the entires. OFM covers the majority of the tournament based and show based NPAA kids events, and the images of a room full of kids holding their first fishing rod ever and wearing an NPAA Future Pro shirt is pretty rewarding, I'd hope. The very much appreciated and generous entries, hard work by John, and vastly improved relationship with the Expo will result in hundreds of kids entering the sport. And most importantly, the artists who enteredwill be recognized properly in the process.

Any questions or comments should be emailed me directly. [email protected].

Nellynelson23
Posted 2/1/2015 11:35 PM (#751459 - in reply to #747781)

Thank you for the clarification and new pictures! Can't wait to see the contest poll up and running and hopefully it turns out with a large sum of money for the foundation!
Pickadoll
Posted 2/2/2015 10:18 AM (#751510 - in reply to #747781)

Why is it called World championship and not just Lure competition or something like that? Its called world championship but its almost none advertising in northern Europe. Remember that Scandinavia is almost world leading in lure making.
No offence, these are great looking lures but I know many guys making much more good looking lures and maybe better working. I don't want to sound like a troll but this doesn't feel like a world championship.
Beaver
Posted 2/2/2015 10:44 AM (#751516 - in reply to #751510)

No offense intended, but the second batch of pictures are all washed out with a flash. The ones that Steve took didn't have any natural light so he couldn't capture the real colors.Not his fault, he was taking them in a hall with no windows. The second batch kills the color with a flash and no natural color. I have pictures of the lure that I submitted on my phone, before I put Envirotex on it and now that it is out of my hands I can't post any pictures of what it really looks like, so only guys that see it at the show will know what it actually looks like. There have got to be better pictures for the auction. I don't care about the contest, but guys aren't going to bid on a lure based a bad picture....and I'm not just talking about mine.
sworrall
Posted 2/2/2015 11:33 AM (#751530 - in reply to #751510)

Pickadoll - 2/2/2015 10:18 AM

Why is it called World championship and not just Lure competition or something like that? Its called world championship but its almost none advertising in northern Europe. Remember that Scandinavia is almost world leading in lure making.
No offence, these are great looking lures but I know many guys making much more good looking lures and maybe better working. I don't want to sound like a troll but this doesn't feel like a world championship.

Then they should enter. There is no other contest, and everyone world wide is welcome to enter. Beav, I need to get those lures in my hands to shoot them. I'll see what I can do, and guarantee good imagery before the Milwaukee Show gets underway.
Bluesport77
Posted 2/2/2015 12:24 PM (#751534 - in reply to #751530)

sworrall - 2/2/2015 12:33 PM

Pickadoll - 2/2/2015 10:18 AM

Then they should enter. There is no other contest, and everyone world wide is welcome to enter. Beav, I need to get those lures in my hands to shoot them. I'll see what I can do, and guarantee good imagery before the Milwaukee Show gets underway.

I was curious about the same thing on the pictures to be voted on. There is no detail at all on my bait that I entered. You can't see the fins I added or any of the pearls in the paint over the foil. Fortunately I got some good pics before sending it off.
Bluesport77
Posted 2/2/2015 12:37 PM (#751538 - in reply to #747781)

I added some links of some more detailed pics under the comments of the picture in my shad crankbait
Beaver
Posted 2/2/2015 5:54 PM (#751608 - in reply to #751538)

I only have pictures on my phone and can't post them for some reason.
I don't know why guys from Europe didn't enter, but I imagine that it costs a bit to send them and would take a long time, besides them donating to a cause that they get nothing out of. Ask Michael and the other guys. I see lots of builders from around the globe posting lures on ebay and I also see saltwater lures that could be used for muskies as well. I guess it's up to the people to decide whether they want to enter and donate a lure, you can't make them.
Steve, if you need help....I know you are extremely busy this time of year.....I asked a buddy of mine if he'd be willing to shoot pictures of the lures. He lives in Milwaukee and has done professional photography. When he gets back to me I'll let youknow if he can help.
ToddM
Posted 2/2/2015 6:37 PM (#751619 - in reply to #747781)

Sometimes I think this site needs a wooden spoon for emergency hardons.
psv
Posted 2/2/2015 11:10 PM (#751669 - in reply to #751516)

Beaver - 2/2/2015 10:44 AM No offense intended, but the second batch of pictures are all washed out with a flash. The ones that Steve took didn't have any natural light so he couldn't capture the real colors.Not his fault, he was taking them in a hall with no windows. The second batch kills the color with a flash and no natural color. I have pictures of the lure that I submitted on my phone, before I put Envirotex on it and now that it is out of my hands I can't post any pictures of what it really looks like, so only guys that see it at the show will know what it actually looks like. There have got to be better pictures for the auction. I don't care about the contest, but guys aren't going to bid on a lure based a bad picture....and I'm not just talking about mine.

Does it look more natural ?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)