Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Livewell for Reviving Muskies

Reply New post
Message Subject: Livewell for Reviving Muskies
MuskieJim
Posted 12/17/2014 2:27 PM (#744524)
Subject: Livewell for Reviving Muskies

I'm looking to build/buy a livewell for my 20' Key West trolling rig this year. It already has several bait tanks, but they are not long enough to build a livewell to revive muskies. I'm thinking I can utilize the pump and plumbing from one of the existing livewells to make this

I was told I can build one from large PVC pipe or even a bass boat's old plastic gas tank. What are some of the other livewells you guys have built for reviving muskies?
KenK
Posted 12/17/2014 3:00 PM (#744533 - in reply to #744524)
Subject: Re: Livewell for Reviving Muskies

I picked up a 60 inch livewell off of ebay a couple years back. The seller is still around. Search livewell and look for greatlakesskipper as the seller. There is also greatlakesskipper.com, they are in Racine, WI.
14ledo81
Posted 12/17/2014 3:25 PM (#744538 - in reply to #744524)

I think Cabelas sells them.

You could also contact a local sheet metal fab shop, and see if they can make something for you.

I work for a mechanical shop, and we have a full sheet metal shop. I made a custom one for my last boat. I had to caulk the seems, but was able to make it exactly the size I wanted.
Jeff Hanson
Posted 12/17/2014 4:42 PM (#744553 - in reply to #744538)

Most all the big boats on St. Clair use FISH ThANKS made by David Clark 586-615-6805. They are the best made that I have used. They have saved a lot of fish on St. Clair that's for sure here is a video on them.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEAEhVXXFDc
Jeff Hanson
madisonmuskyguide.com
Zib
Posted 12/17/2014 10:31 PM (#744601 - in reply to #744553)

Jeff Hanson - 12/17/2014 5:42 PM Most all the big boats on St. Clair use FISH ThANKS made by David Clark 586-615-6805. They are the best made that I have used. They have saved a lot of fish on St. Clair that's for sure here is a video on them. www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEAEhVXXFDc Jeff Hanson madisonmuskyguide.com

I second the Fish Thanks.

MuskieJim
Posted 12/18/2014 8:45 AM (#744623 - in reply to #744524)

Can someone shoot a ballpark on the cost of a Fish TnANK
jonnysled
Posted 12/18/2014 9:08 AM (#744627 - in reply to #744524)

you can do a lot of customizing on the Cabela's product. it is inexpensive and works really well. mine is used more as a sucker tank these days but it does a fine job.
Junkman
Posted 12/18/2014 9:36 AM (#744633 - in reply to #744627)

I'm still a believer in adding Rejuvenade or another competing product to chemically step up the oxygenating process in addition to a good live well pump with Oxygenator feature. For me, the critical addition is ice. The ability to add enough ice to bring the water temp down is likely the trick to bringing a fish back to life. Plenty of ice for cold drinks also serves to bring me back from the dead on a hot day too.
Zib
Posted 12/18/2014 1:39 PM (#744661 - in reply to #744623)

MuskieJim - 12/18/2014 9:45 AM Can someone shoot a ballpark on the cost of a Fish TnANK

The last time I heard they were $300 but that was a few years ago so the price might have changed.

Edited by Zib 12/18/2014 1:51 PM
horsehunter
Posted 12/18/2014 3:26 PM (#744678 - in reply to #744524)

Remember that in Ontario it would be illegal to put a muskie of less than the min. size limit for the water you are fishing in a live well the regulations call for immediate release. Several CO's have said they would lay charges. So even tho you have the best intentions be careful
woodieb8
Posted 12/18/2014 3:44 PM (#744682 - in reply to #744524)

horsehunter, the co,s here know whats up they commend the guys here on st clair. they told us they would not charge in this issue. guys with tanks usually have 3-4 guys on board never a issue
brianT
Posted 12/18/2014 5:52 PM (#744688 - in reply to #744633)

Junkman - 12/18/2014 10:36 AM

I'm still a believer in adding Rejuvenade or another competing product to chemically step up the oxygenating process in addition to a good live well pump with Oxygenator feature. For me, the critical addition is ice. The ability to add enough ice to bring the water temp down is likely the trick to bringing a fish back to life. Plenty of ice for cold drinks also serves to bring me back from the dead on a hot day too.

That's funny - we just had a Skype Q&A at our last meeting with Marc Thorpe and he touched on this exact subject but his advice the the exact opposite and to never add ice because the extreme temperature change can shock the fish. IMO if you think you need to add ice to revive a fish, you should probably hang up the Musky gear until the water temps come down. Just my .02
MuskieJim
Posted 12/19/2014 11:24 AM (#744782 - in reply to #744678)

horsehunter - 12/18/2014 4:26 PM

Remember that in Ontario it would be illegal to put a muskie of less than the min. size limit for the water you are fishing in a live well the regulations call for immediate release. Several CO's have said they would lay charges. So even tho you have the best intentions be careful

Wow, does anyone else have first hand experience dealing with a CO over putting a muskie in the livewell to revive it? I would think most would see that you're taking an extra step (both financially in buying a tank for this purpose and ethically) to help the fish
horsehunter
Posted 12/19/2014 11:55 AM (#744785 - in reply to #744524)

Ontario law states IMMEDIATE release.
I have talked to several that have said they would lay the charge, for some of these guy's there is only black and white. One told me he would lay a charge for taking the time to photograph a fish that was below the legal min size. Fortunately he recently retired. I have talked to some that had no problem with a quick photo but if you took a lot of time for multiple pictures or passed the fish around you would be charged. I was told of one person that was charged when the put a fish in a livewell and went to shore because they didn't have a camera.

The truth is these guys are spread so thin the chances of being charged are slim but it is there.

You may find some that look the other way but I'd be surprised if you find any that will say it's ok.

Edited by horsehunter 12/19/2014 12:36 PM
muskyrat
Posted 12/20/2014 7:44 AM (#744848 - in reply to #744785)

Technically you are rite but I try not to stress out over things that are not going to happen. Just like when I`m on the NY side I`m not supposed have or use a gaff but I always keep one on board encase. When I was asked about it I explained I only use it if fish are hooked in the eyes or gills and I don`t want to net them. Guy was totally cool after some initial shock seeing a large gaff. For the most part USA officials are understanding of sportsman and who is out to cause harm. Now if I actually see a Canadian co officer while I`m landing a fish It would be the first time I ever saw one in over 20 years of fishing Canada. I would say if you see them than don`t lift the fish into the boat. If the coast is clear do what you normally would and the fish will most likely be back before anyone is the wiser. How many sub legal Ontario fish do you see people holding pictures of each year, hundreds? Do guides only let people photograph 54" or better? Yea rite. Looking at this website I can tell you everyday people in the US and Canada photograph sub legal fish. If you follow every rule in life to the T you may as well never leave the house because backing out of your driveway is illegal.
bryantukkah
Posted 12/21/2014 12:03 PM (#744947 - in reply to #744848)

muskyrat - 12/20/2014 8:44 AM

Technically you are rite but I try not to stress out over things that are not going to happen. Just like when I`m on the NY side I`m not supposed have or use a gaff but I always keep one on board encase. When I was asked about it I explained I only use it if fish are hooked in the eyes or gills and I don`t want to net them. Guy was totally cool after some initial shock seeing a large gaff. For the most part USA officials are understanding of sportsman and who is out to cause harm. Now if I actually see a Canadian co officer while I`m landing a fish It would be the first time I ever saw one in over 20 years of fishing Canada. I would say if you see them than don`t lift the fish into the boat. If the coast is clear do what you normally would and the fish will most likely be back before anyone is the wiser. How many sub legal Ontario fish do you see people holding pictures of each year, hundreds? Do guides only let people photograph 54" or better? Yea rite. Looking at this website I can tell you everyday people in the US and Canada photograph sub legal fish. If you follow every rule in life to the T you may as well never leave the house because backing out of your driveway is illegal.

X2. People who back out in traffic pee me off.
muskyrat
Posted 12/24/2014 8:40 AM (#745263 - in reply to #744524)

Swords are often double edged. We constantly cry about size limits not being large enough even though Muskie fishing has been almost 100% release for over 20 years based on ethics not law. Ahh but we must have law! Now we wonder why people have to release all tackle world record hybrids or state record fish. Now if a 53 1/2" does die you have to leave it float. Now you are not allowed to revive a fish in a high sided boat using a live well. How do the charter captains release fish when the gunnel is three feet off the water? Would seam hard to unhook them. Sure seams the top guides have lots of fish pictures under 54" on the websites I have seen. Do we think about these things when we high five the passing of these ridiculous size limits. Whoopy do we just made ourselves criminals subject to prosecution. Oh joy lets celebrate.
horsehunter
Posted 12/24/2014 10:42 AM (#745277 - in reply to #745263)

muskyrat - 12/24/2014 9:40 AM

Swords are often double edged. We constantly cry about size limits not being large enough even though Muskie fishing has been almost 100% release for over 20 years based on ethics not law. Ahh but we must have law! Now we wonder why people have to release all tackle world record hybrids or state record fish. Now if a 53 1/2" does die you have to leave it float. Now you are not allowed to revive a fish in a high sided boat using a live well. How do the charter captains release fish when the gunnel is three feet off the water? Would seam hard to unhook them. Sure seams the top guides have lots of fish pictures under 54" on the websites I have seen. Do we think about these things when we high five the passing of these ridiculous size limits. Whoopy do we just made ourselves criminals subject to prosecution. Oh joy lets celebrate.

Exactly
MuskieJim
Posted 12/26/2014 8:40 AM (#745399 - in reply to #745263)

muskyrat - 12/24/2014 9:40 AM

Love your comments and insight on the subject. I too think we are way to focused on laws and regulations rather than education. The thought of leaving a 53" floater is just absurd, but the same guys who pushed for the laws will be the ones getting bit by the repercussions
ARmuskyaddict
Posted 12/26/2014 12:32 PM (#745412 - in reply to #744524)

I don't know about you guys, but I would take a chance with a possibly understanding warden, or judge, and go ahead and use the livewell. I would then anchor on the spot, record it, and clearly state my intent on it to save a big fish. I wouldn't complain about the new law, because the law was passed with the intent of reducing the harvest of big fish.
horsehunter
Posted 12/26/2014 2:53 PM (#745420 - in reply to #744524)

The reason behind leaving a 53 inch floater is to prevent the unscrupulous person who wants to harvest from ripping the gills and saying it died. turtles gotta eat too.

I was pointing out what the law said. What I would do depends....
muskyrat
Posted 12/26/2014 5:31 PM (#745430 - in reply to #744524)

I understand what your saying Frank but how many unscrupulous people are out there Muskie fishing as apposed to regular guys who want to use all the tools at their disposal to ensure a clean release. Yes the laws are intended to save fish but if people followed them to the T they would kill fish. They use fish Thanks for a reason. They save fish. If you can`t use it you can`t save the fish can you? Looking at one charter boat Captain I would have to hold him by his feet while he unhooked the fish to keep it in the water. The fact is you can get in trouble as Frank pointed out. I would be totally cool with no size limit as who even eats Muskie anyway?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)