Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Finding fish

Message Subject: Finding fish
past.the.cast.mike
Posted 12/12/2014 11:20 AM (#743889)
Subject: Finding fish

Hey guys I'm fairly new to the muskie game, just finished up my second season and did much better than the first year. Learnt a lot and understand more on how these great fish work. My question is when you guys get to a lake how do you decide where you'll start. I've fished lakes this year I've done well on and went the following week and could even get a follow. What makes you decide to fish deep or shallow or try specific areas. I've tried a lot of new spots this year but really couldn't pattern the fish because the max I've seen or caught in a day has been 3. Thanks guys
14ledo81
Posted 12/12/2014 11:50 AM (#743892 - in reply to #743889)
Subject: RE: Finding fish

past.the.cast.mike - 12/12/2014 11:20 AM

Hey guys I'm fairly new to the muskie game, just finished up my second season and did much better than the first year. Learnt a lot and understand more on how these great fish work. My question is when you guys get to a lake how do you decide where you'll start. I've fished lakes this year I've done well on and went the following week and could even get a follow. What makes you decide to fish deep or shallow or try specific areas. I've tried a lot of new spots this year but really couldn't pattern the fish because the max I've seen or caught in a day has been 3. Thanks guys

If you go to the same lake and try the same tactics that were successful but are now not, I would guess it is weather related.

At least in my experience that is often the answer.
CastawayFishing
Posted 12/12/2014 7:25 PM (#743924 - in reply to #743889)
Subject: Re: Finding fish

Depends on the time of year. Most summer long I usually start with the classic type spots, points, saddles weed edges and start mixing things up from there.

It takes a lot longer to learn how to fish muskies on a body of water vs. other species because you get less data points (fish caught or seen) to pattern with. Be diligent, keep good records and nothing can substitute time on the water.

Edited by CastawayFishing 12/12/2014 7:26 PM
Trophyseeker50
Posted 12/12/2014 9:17 PM (#743930 - in reply to #743889)

One thing I can say from fishing tournaments is that someone will catch fish. I tend to let all the variables tell me where to start. Weather, time of year , moon phase , lake type and so forth. I take all these things into consideration and pick a prime spot to work. Have a plan but be willing to adapt. If you move a fish try to replicate that situation.

ToddM
Posted 12/12/2014 9:18 PM (#743931 - in reply to #743889)

Depends on the body of water, is this a big lake with more spots than you can ever fish or a small lake that you can hit everything in a short period of time? If it is big, keep hitting different spots and make sure you bit spots that you had seen fish or previous success on at the last hour of he day. If it is small and nothing happens slide a cast length out or troll off the breaks. Sometimes just switch lakes. Just remember what you learnt and keep at it.

Edited by ToddM 12/12/2014 9:25 PM
Ranger Rick
Posted 12/13/2014 2:15 PM (#743975 - in reply to #743889)

If you can, hire a guide on the waters you fish. A good guide should have a lot of time on the water and know it well. You will learn baits,colors and techniques. You Will also get a general idea of what type of patterns are working. I would recommend a early and a late season trip. Then build off what you have learned. It will speed up the learning curve for you.
Another option is to join an area muskie club. Again, you will gain good knowledge. After that,it is up to you to put it all together. Time on the water is everything!
Jeremy
Posted 12/13/2014 3:20 PM (#743979 - in reply to #743975)

Ranger Rick - 12/13/2014 2:15 PM

If you can, hire a guide on the waters you fish. A good guide should have a lot of time on the water and know it well. You will learn baits,colors and techniques. You Will also get a general idea of what type of patterns are working. I would recommend a early and a late season trip. Then build off what you have learned. It will speed up the learning curve for you.
Another option is to join an area muskie club. Again, you will gain good knowledge. After that,it is up to you to put it all together. Time on the water is everything!

Some good advice there, all around....especially that final sentence. Especially...

Keep at it. You're doing better than I did when I learned. That was waaay before this inner-net deally.

And I'm still learning.

Jeremy.

Edited by Jeremy 12/13/2014 3:21 PM
MikeDircz
Posted 12/13/2014 3:46 PM (#743980 - in reply to #743979)

You can study your bodies of water in the offseason/preseason and make notes of structure, points, rocks, deep drops and where you saw weedlines last year. The navionics website has a web app for viewing lakes, just like a GPS.

http://webapp.navionics.com/?lang=en

Time on water is paramount, as someone said earlier. Studying maps can make your time on the water more efficient.
past.the.cast.mike
Posted 12/15/2014 7:55 AM (#744120 - in reply to #743889)

Thanks a lot guys for the advice, I get out as much as in can and when I'm not on the water I attend seminars or meeting.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)