Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Pete. Pete, Pete, Pete, big fish Pete!" - Gillespie
- (Added by: BALDY)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> ss wire vs. brass wire

Message Subject: ss wire vs. brass wire
muskie tamer
Posted 12/12/2014 7:53 AM (#743849)
Subject: ss wire vs. brass wire

I'm currently using screw eyes on my jerks and gliders, but t can be time consuming drilling and weighting and gluing screw eyes in. Was thinking about trying threw wire to help save a little time. How would brass wire hold up? I know it's easier to bend than stainless steel. Our should i stick to the screw eyes?

Edited by muskie tamer 12/12/2014 7:54 AM
ShutUpNFish
Posted 12/12/2014 8:45 AM (#743863 - in reply to #743849)
Subject: Re: ss wire vs. brass wire

With lure making, especially custom hand made lures, theres NO easy way to do anything...seriously, its ALL time consuming. If you're going with through wire though, I would not skimp and certainly go with Stainless and heaviest gauge you can because if anything happens where the hanger breaks or wears out, the lure is pretty much done unless you then screw some eye screws in.

I have guys who work with wood that think pouring plastic baits is the cure all and SO easy and quick....ummm NOT....measuring, mixing, pouring and waiting on cure time can also be a PIA.

Its the PASSION that drives us to keep doing it, definitely NOT the productivity.

Good Luck

Edited by ShutUpNFish 12/12/2014 8:47 AM
Trophyseeker50
Posted 12/12/2014 12:50 PM (#743900 - in reply to #743849)

^ AMEN^
mnmusky
Posted 12/13/2014 8:12 PM (#743993 - in reply to #743849)

ive made a few thru-wired with .080 tempered ss . a lot of sweating and swearing in the process..
spoonpluggergino
Posted 12/14/2014 12:13 PM (#744026 - in reply to #743849)

Hey muskie tamer
I build baits as a hobby, so I do not mind sharing what I have invented and hopefully help others building baits.
I understand the frustration of doing wire through, I have done bunch of glide baits, the drilling did not bother me, but filling holes with epoxy and making the hangars for the hooks, definitely was not my cup of tee. I went to work and I came up with a good idea for using the eye screw and not loosen or pull out. I use a hard wood dowel pin than I drill a hole all the way through the dowel pin, than I install the eye screw through the pin, than I back up the eye screw with a home made washer that the eye screw screws in to the washer, finally I epoxy the dowel pin in the bait. sounds like a lot of work but it's fast and the screw eye will not come out.
I have a tutorial with pictures in Tackle underground website. Go to Member submitted Tutorial, than to Hard baits How to, than find the title " My Hard Wood Dowel Pin System"
Hope this will make your life easier
Good Luck Gino

Edited by spoonpluggergino 12/14/2014 12:16 PM
muskie tamer
Posted 12/15/2014 10:01 AM (#744135 - in reply to #743849)

Thanks for the input guys. I should've been a little more specific in my question. This is for a plastic bait, I carved a bait from wood that i really liked and decide to mold it out of plastic. Your right Paul when you say it's no easier measuring and mixing resin and drilling holes and weighting. I was wondering if bending some wire and finding the right spot so i can attach the weight to the wire and then just lining it up in the mold would be easier, and i have thought about it and i don't think it would exactly save time. Wish i could post pics of the bait but my laptop is dead and pics won't post from my android.
esox911
Posted 12/15/2014 2:16 PM (#744169 - in reply to #743849)

I have made my baits using wood--then also thought it would be easier to just mold and pour them--I did that and found out--I actually LIKED THE MAKING the bait part out of wood. I missed the hands on working on the wood lure---Also found that--the few baits that I make for friends / family / club members---they all like the WOOD LURES much better that the resin ones. While I still have my molds--I seldom ever pour a lure anymore-----I just plain Like the WOOD VERSIONS better--and so do my friends --so WOOD is FOR ME ANYWAY !!!!
Sidejack
Posted 12/16/2014 4:41 AM (#744305 - in reply to #743849)

Wade of the Wade's Wobbler fame and other fine baits uses heavy brass wire and everything he makes is thru-wire.
I've seen similar brass wire at welding suppliers if you need it.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)