Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Cross Border Shopping for Muskies

Message Subject: Cross Border Shopping for Muskies
horsehunter
Posted 12/7/2014 11:58 AM (#743029)
Subject: Cross Border Shopping for Muskies

It used to be that when fishing international waters you only had to carry a fishing license for the other country and as long as you didn't land or anchor you were good.

I think that has all now changed.

What are the new rules and what has to be carried by way of identification?

(links to the websites please if known)

muskyrat
Posted 12/7/2014 2:32 PM (#743058 - in reply to #743029)
Subject: Re: Cross Border Shopping for Muskies

Frank I know there is a hotline all the St. Clair people call. The border there is clearly defined and the border patrol guys will question you or turn you back. They can take your boat but that seams unlikely if you had the fishing license of that country and some legit ID. As for your area I saw hundreds of boats and jetskies crossing the border per minute during the weekends. Hard to believe border control is keeping track of that. Hard to believe they are confiscating boats although I heard it did happen once to a guy anchored up. He probably gave the BP a hard time. As long as your boat is contraband free I wouldn`t worry about trolling the NY side. What are they going to do? Send you to gitmo? You are allowed to cross for navigational purposses in your area Frank. If your trolling that's kinda like navigation at a slow pace if you ask me. Also I don`t know if USA even has a hotline. The one I`m aware of is for USA guys to call when they fish Canada.
muskyrat
Posted 12/7/2014 2:42 PM (#743060 - in reply to #743029)

When I was in Ogdensburg the lady I talked to at the hotel explained to me as long as I had my Ontario license then I wouldn`t have a problem. She fishes the Canada side all the time. The only reason I didn`t call is I figured they would ask when and how long and all that. Since I was just going back and forth all day trolling I didn`t bother. The border patrol never even looked twice at us. Pretty obvious what we were doing.
horsehunter
Posted 12/7/2014 5:02 PM (#743095 - in reply to #743029)

A friend I fish with was given a real hard time when he took his grand kids to Bolt Castle and forgot to call the Canadian Customs from the shore phone when he landed back on Canadian soil and used his cell after his boat was back on the trailer. They were threatening to confiscate his boat and a big fine scared the H out of him. Another friend who is American but lives in Gan and has Ontario numbers on his boat says he doesn't phone going over or coming back.

Next year I would like to fish both sides of the line but be totally legal.
Will Schultz
Posted 12/8/2014 11:04 AM (#743185 - in reply to #743029)

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/pb-pp-eng.html
horsehunter
Posted 12/8/2014 11:26 AM (#743196 - in reply to #743029)

Thanks Will, that clears up a few points but I'm more concerned about fishing in US waters without actually landing on US soil and crossing back and forth over the line. I have talked to a couple of guys that fish out of Clayton and the say that they phone in when entering Canada but do nothing on their return. I can't imagine the US authorities not having some way of me reporting my presence in US water but in listening to a 20 minute recorded phone message I didn't discover it.
muskyrat
Posted 12/8/2014 6:24 PM (#743248 - in reply to #743029)

I`m sure there is a number if you look hard enough. The lesson is if you do call you must follow protocol. I` mean on St Clair it`s no problem you cross the border fish all day and call when you return. Trolling around 1000 islands you can cross over and back several times on a trolling run. That's why I didn`t bother calling. I didn`t want to say I was going to be there for X amount of time and then all the sudden I`m in NY. I have lots of friends who fish St. Clair. The only reporting is to Canada when you enter and leave. I don`t believe as Americans we are required to report leaving the country for fishing or navigation but I could be wrong. It`s your own customs guys you have to worry about when you return. Any chance of NY or USA officials impounding your boat because you were fishing are slim to none. You may have to call the same number Americans do to let your own Country know your fishing NY.
muskyrat
Posted 12/8/2014 6:50 PM (#743254 - in reply to #743029)

Just say your an illegal alien Frank. Obama will give you amnesty.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)