Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> tranx 400 hg/backlashes

Message Subject: tranx 400 hg/backlashes
PIKEMASTER
Posted 7/15/2018 11:46 PM (#912407 - in reply to #912041)
Subject: Re: tranx 400 hg/backlashes

johnsonaaro2 - 7/11/2018 10:29 AM

i've heard that having the spool overfilled can also cause issues on these reels... i got a new one a couple weeks ago and it casts like a dream. mine from last season definitely needs a good cleaning/lube job

I see that a lot in the shop, guys send me reels that are overfilled, Line should be 1/16 below top of spool, if your spool won’t come out of the frame with with the line filled you have to much line on that spool.
Overfilled spools will overrun very easy.
Beastly Backlash
Posted 7/17/2018 1:33 AM (#912507 - in reply to #911724)

39 degrees - 7/7/2018 11:44 AM

Like mentioned above. It's all about the thumb and a rod that will load when casting muskie lures. More breaks, more tension control, too stiff a rod, all work together to make the situation worse. Your thumb can apply more friction at the beginning of the cast when it is needed, little to no friction for most of the cast, and stop the spool just before the lure hits the water. Tension knobs and breaks can't do that.

It is interesting that you mention the power of the rod as being a factor.

Many people forget just how important a rod that loads effectively is towards proper casting technique when using baitcasting or conventional reels.

When a rod has too much power, especially for the weight of the lure that is being used, the rod does not load up and you end up snap casting inorder to cast the lure out far enough. Anyone with enough fishing experience understands that snap casting and baitcasters are a bad idea as it is one of the primary causes of severe catastrophic backlashes.

Learning proper casting technique does take time though and only those with the patience to cast, backlash, pick out, and keep casting until they learn their form ever really shake themselves from the crutch of overusing casting brakes. I have had many a gnarly backlash in the past due to always pushing the limits of how far back I could dial back casting brakes and how fast I could tune my reel's spools to spin.

I have reached the point that my thumb, casting technique, and rod selection is tuned well enough to handle nearly any situation and achieve maximum casting distance without backlashing. But, it took time, persistence, and patience.

It is no wonder that guys I am standing near say, "Wow! How do you cast so far?!".

Practice makes perfect, or close to it at least.
Beastly Backlash
Posted 7/17/2018 1:38 AM (#912508 - in reply to #911637)

Over looking rod action when it comes to getting proper casting technique out of the rod can lead to severe backlashes too.

I actually find that the Tackle Industries rods have a good balanced action, the rod models I have all seem to be moderate to moderate fast, which really benefits castablity without sacrificing hook setting power.

To fast a rod that is heavily powered just leads to much effort needed to properly load on a cast. Disaster will entail for the unwary angler.
curleytail
Posted 7/17/2018 7:48 AM (#912514 - in reply to #911637)

While I agree that a softer and lighter power rod is more forgiving for casting, we don't always want to use that type of rod for ripping, twitching, or figure 8'ing hard pulling baits. So using a rod that's heavier and faster isn't necessarily "wrong," but it can pose some casting challenges that most will be best served dealing with by running some extra braking on the reel rather than tearing their hair out because they backlash every 3rd cast trying to cast a Cowgirl into a stiff wind.
Slamr
Posted 7/17/2018 8:18 AM (#912518 - in reply to #911637)

play with the brake, try to balance rod/reel/baits but for g*d's sake, just learn to cast with your thumb! not everyone can have 5-7 setups in the boat to have the perfect combo for each reel....so educate your thumb!
Sidejack
Posted 7/21/2018 8:36 AM (#912919 - in reply to #912404)

Why anyone would wanna run a disengaging level wind reel 300 size or larger baffles me unless it's a sponsor situation. Cuts down on casting distance, frays line, and contributes to backlashes in my opinion.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(SuperConfused.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments SuperConfused.jpg (160KB - 308 downloads)
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)