Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Muskie Train and Other Crankbaits

Message Subject: Muskie Train and Other Crankbaits
Bucky_Musky
Posted 5/19/2017 5:49 AM (#862106)
Subject: Muskie Train and Other Crankbaits

Just wondering what everyone's thoughts were on the Musky Train crankbaits. I have only really used bucktails, topwater and rubbers with success before, never really had much luck on twitch baits like Jakes/Grandmas and things of that nature, but want to try trolling and casting cranks a little more. Would like to pick up some MX 6, 7.5s and 9s...the diesel and MF shads looked pretty nice too...just looking for folk's feedback on them and how they perform for trolling and/or casting.

I fish a lot in the Madison area...occasionally on the Chip, Petenwell and Lake WI.

Thanks!
jdsplasher
Posted 5/19/2017 6:07 AM (#862107 - in reply to #862106)
Subject: RE: Muskie Train and Other Crankbaits

Mike at Muskie train does a great job on his Diesels, and MF Shad lures. Caught lots of fish on these 2. As for the larger sizes, very limited success.

Slammers in the 4" shad are pretty awesome, also really like slammers deep divers in the 6-7" sizes!

JD

figure 8
Posted 5/19/2017 1:01 PM (#862154 - in reply to #862107)
Subject: RE: Muskie Train and Other Crankbaits

I have had very good luck on musky train baits, casting and trolling. Mf shad is great for twitching. I usually troll his bigger stuff. The jointed 7.5"mx has been good at night for me also.
Muskers
Posted 5/19/2017 2:49 PM (#862165 - in reply to #862106)
Subject: Re: Muskie Train and Other Crankbaits

Trolling: The Diesel, MF Shad, MX6
Casting: MF Shad, MX6, MX7.5, MX7.5 Jointed, MX9, HiRail
The larger MX series definitely pull hard when trying to twitch but have moved and caught fish. My favorites are the hi rail and MX7.5 and MF Shad for twitching. I don't troll much but that Diesel in Madison was a great bait. Now that I have moved to MN, not so much.
Jeff Hanson
Posted 5/19/2017 4:16 PM (#862176 - in reply to #862165)

The Muskie Trains are a great choice they have put piles of fish in the boat for me in Madison, St.Clair and a lot of other places I've been. As others have said the MF Shad is a great twitchbait has put a lot of 40"-46" fish in Madison in my boat, the Hi-rail is good too is very erratic. I have caught fish in Madison twitching all the MX series too (4",6" 7.5" and 9") caught fish last week twitching MX4's . The diesel is a good casting and trolling bait and is good after dark.
The MX6 is good for twitching and trolling have had a 50.5" and 49.5" in Madison on them and at least 20 over 50" up to 54" on St. Clair with them. Biggest Madison walleye have been on them too 30" and 29.5"
The MX7.5" is a good caster and trolling I have done well after dark on this bait too. lot of Madison fish up to 47"
MX9 is a BIG fish bait has put a Madison 52" in my boat as well as many 45"-49"
I have at least 1 out every time I troll. Put several in the boat over 50" on St.Clair on them also. Caught a 48.5" casting one in Madison too.
Get some and use them they are great tools for putting fish in the boat. If your in Madison Dorn's Midvale has the biggest selection of them of anywhere.
Good luck
Jeff Hanson
madisonmuskyguide.com
Bucky_Musky
Posted 5/19/2017 5:30 PM (#862181 - in reply to #862106)

Thanks for the great information everyone. I actually saw them when I was at Dorns when I was there this last week. Really nice selection...now the tough part, controlling myself the next time I walk into Dorns and not buying them all.
ToddM
Posted 5/19/2017 6:08 PM (#862188 - in reply to #862106)

I like them as well, they do work. I bought an older model, if you can find them, 5" and they have a square lip. I like them the best.
Jeff Hanson
Posted 5/22/2017 3:55 PM (#862444 - in reply to #862188)

ToddM - 5/19/2017 6:08 PM

I like them as well, they do work. I bought an older model, if you can find them, 5" and they have a square lip. I like them the best.

Todd- those are his Mordas Minnows he still makes them, but most places don't have them..I have caught fish on them too. Dorns has a couple of them sitting on the shelf under all the rest of the Muskie Train baits for sale.
Jeff Hanson
madisonmuskyguide.com
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)