Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Fall bait ideas for girlfriend

Message Subject: Fall bait ideas for girlfriend
Kirby Budrow
Posted 8/19/2015 12:58 PM (#781093 - in reply to #780931)
Subject: Re: Fall bait ideas for girlfriend

BenR - 8/18/2015 10:33 AM

jaultman - 8/18/2015 9:57 AM

Fishing and fall musky fishing are much different.

In case you didn't know, Kirb.

He didn't know what bait to use...

Ben thanks for the heads up. I do tons of late fall muskie fishing in Northern MN. I've broken ice and fished in 10 degree temps right through Thanksgiving if I'm lucky. Really, I was wondering if anyone just had any experience with taking a girl out that can cast very well but would have a hard time with big baits. Just looking for ideas of easy baits that could be worked deep. I got lots of good answers too!
Kirby Budrow
Posted 8/19/2015 1:02 PM (#781095 - in reply to #780950)

Pat Hoolihan - 8/18/2015 12:05 PM

Kirby, your girlfriend actually casts?!?! Mine does for 5 minutes and then reads in the back, via moonlight or Humminbird backlighting. When I find her snoring on the boat floor, I know it's time to go. She is NOT a prime candidate for fall fishing. I agree with the other, give her a 9" grandma. If she doesn't think they work I've got plenty of pics to prove otherwise.

Good advice Bud! She fishes pretty hard! She'll do great. She just needs one that wants to eat on the cast at this point. The figure 8 may take a little more practice.
buckner
Posted 8/20/2015 8:00 AM (#781219 - in reply to #780619)

My dad never fishes and he with with me to St Clair in July. He threw a shadzilla the entire time. In the first 2 hours he caught his first, a 50.25. The shadzilla was really easy for him.
tincan
Posted 8/30/2015 6:18 PM (#782468 - in reply to #780619)

Sucker fishing is an easy way. I also think a big jointed bait like a Krisco would be a good choice.
jonnysled
Posted 8/31/2015 9:29 AM (#782497 - in reply to #782468)

hardhead is a bait that casts and swims nice and catches fish too ...
Codeman
Posted 8/31/2015 9:41 AM (#782501 - in reply to #780619)

Bondy baits would work good!
Dave F
Posted 8/31/2015 11:35 AM (#782523 - in reply to #782501)

My wife can't throw big lures. i can't throw pounders for any length of time. it wears me out to throw magnum bulldawgs anymore. my wife does well with "Sissy Baits" as we call them: Lil' Ernies, 6 in. Jakes, Shumway Flashers. if she could throw it, a revo shad in the slow sinking or suspending version should work. The alpha dogs would be good if she could throw them, regular size dawg with a magnum dog size tail.
good luck,
Dave
mm3
Posted 9/1/2015 12:20 PM (#782645 - in reply to #781093)

How about an 8" Believer. It's got a rather big profile for such a light lure and can be fished in multiple ways including very slowly.
moondog
Posted 9/1/2015 8:17 PM (#782731 - in reply to #780619)
Subject: RE: Fall bait ideas for girlfriend

We have had luck with kraves in the fall.
Ben Olsen
Posted 9/2/2015 7:50 PM (#782919 - in reply to #780619)

Allright Kirb...I've held off as long as I could! A young, able bodied gal can throw pounders. Anyone can throw pounders..it's about "want to." That and technique + equipment. At least mags, reg dussa's, etc. Maybe we need to do a video cause its kinda hard to explain. I have a feeling you know what I'm talking about. Here's my attempt: Long handle rod is key! After 8, let out 4/5 feet of line with bait in the water as you lift the rod tip. Swing dawg past right shoulder. When the bait is at its furthest point back pull down with left hand while using right hand as fulcrum. Momentum of the bait swinging back will transfer around and over the top. Pay extra attention to technique and efficiency. Never lift the full weight of the bait. Use geometry and momentum to your advantage. I've used this method to have anglers from 14 to 70 casting rubber for multiple days. You know-ah fall giants-ah love rubber-ah!
tundrawalker00
Posted 9/2/2015 8:50 PM (#782928 - in reply to #780833)

Get her a ring! As many karats as you can afford!
rodbender
Posted 9/2/2015 8:50 PM (#782929 - in reply to #782919)

Think Trebuchet when pitching rubber.
BALDY
Posted 9/2/2015 8:52 PM (#782930 - in reply to #782919)

Ben Olsen - 9/2/2015 7:50 PM Allright Kirb...I've held off as long as I could! A young, able bodied gal can throw pounders. Anyone can throw pounders..it's about "want to." That and technique + equipment. At least mags, reg dussa's, etc. Maybe we need to do a video cause its kinda hard to explain. I have a feeling you know what I'm talking about. Here's my attempt: Long handle rod is key! After 8, let out 4/5 feet of line with bait in the water as you lift the rod tip. Swing dawg past right shoulder. When the bait is at its furthest point back pull down with left hand while using right hand as fulcrum. Momentum of the bait swinging back will transfer around and over the top. Pay extra attention to technique and efficiency. Never lift the full weight of the bait. Use geometry and momentum to your advantage. I've used this method to have anglers from 14 to 70 casting rubber for multiple days. You know-ah fall giants-ah love rubber-ah!

Physics...it's cool

Watch some Keyes Outdoors videos with Ben in them and you will see what he is talking about.  Definitely makes it easier to cast big rubber all day.

Pointerpride102
Posted 9/2/2015 9:02 PM (#782931 - in reply to #782919)

Ben Olsen - 9/2/2015 7:50 PM

Allright Kirb...I've held off as long as I could! A young, able bodied gal can throw pounders. Anyone can throw pounders..it's about "want to." That and technique + equipment. At least mags, reg dussa's, etc. Maybe we need to do a video cause its kinda hard to explain. I have a feeling you know what I'm talking about. Here's my attempt: Long handle rod is key! After 8, let out 4/5 feet of line with bait in the water as you lift the rod tip. Swing dawg past right shoulder. When the bait is at its furthest point back pull down with left hand while using right hand as fulcrum. Momentum of the bait swinging back will transfer around and over the top. Pay extra attention to technique and efficiency. Never lift the full weight of the bait. Use geometry and momentum to your advantage. I've used this method to have anglers from 14 to 70 casting rubber for multiple days. You know-ah fall giants-ah love rubber-ah!

Great description. And it works

But for me, I like to lean back in the chair and put my feet on the gunnel. Maybe doze off waiting for a click..click...cliiiiiiiiiick.
jaultman
Posted 9/3/2015 7:40 AM (#782959 - in reply to #782919)

You know-ah fall giants-ah love rubber-ah!

HAHA
Kirby Budrow
Posted 9/3/2015 8:14 AM (#782961 - in reply to #782919)

Haha! Heavy-ah!

Thanks Ben,

I've been casting like that for a while and can certainly teach her but I'm still not sure she can do it at this point with her limited casting experience. Hopefully she can just do that with a mag dawg. I tried to show her that technique the other day cuz she was asking why I had so much line out. I was like, "want me to show you"? She declined
LugiAustria
Posted 9/5/2015 5:02 AM (#783280 - in reply to #780619)

If she is right handed, just give her a lefty reel and put a original shadzilla on. You will be suprised how much easier it is if you dont have to learn it with the wrong hand first.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)