Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Hook Rust

Message Subject: Hook Rust
slammer1!
Posted 12/21/2014 8:46 PM (#745015)
Subject: Hook Rust

Anybody else notice that some brands of hooks rust quicker than others, even after just laying on a wet casting deck carpet overnight. Any suggestions on which brands are best for replacements.
Tackle Industries
Posted 12/22/2014 6:31 AM (#745027 - in reply to #745015)
Subject: Re: Hook Rust

10 years ago I did a test on about 6 brands of large musky hooks. I put them all into individual glasses of water. All 6 brands had some rust buildup in under 48 hours. Best ones were coated but even those had small spots of rust started on them in places. IMO make sure you get a good box with ventilation (like a Just In Case) and/or hang your baits to dry as you use them. A bundle of maybe 9-10 PVC pipes cut to about 16" works well for a day box and you can strap that around your pedestal seat. Some other good ideas here too....
Zib
Posted 12/22/2014 9:00 AM (#745036 - in reply to #745015)
Subject: RE: Hook Rust

I use my live well for storage & the only time I had hooks rust were when my plug in the live well wasn’t tight & water got into one of my boxes & I didn’t know it for 2 weeks & that resulted in 2 cowgirls (TI’s) getting ruined & had the hooks on 3 fat Belly rattlers rusted so bad that the points of the barbs were gone past the barbs & had rust stains on the baits. I make it a habit after every trip to open the lids on all my boxes to air them out & haven’t had any hooks rust.

There are anti-rust vapor capsules & other anti-rust products that you can put in your boxes to prevent rust. Most will last a season. Zerust makes several anti-rust products. I have some tackle trays that I store my walleye jigs in that came with anti-rust dividers (made by Zerust I think) & they are supposed to be good for 5 years (I’m going on 8 years & no rust in the boxes).

Lunker Larry
Posted 12/22/2014 1:01 PM (#745057 - in reply to #745015)
Subject: Re: Hook Rust

Save the silcon bags from electronics and such and toss them into your plano boxes. They can handle the dampness when storing but won't address putting baits away soaking wet.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)