Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 3 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Motor Guide Xi5 vs Terrova

Reply New post
Message Subject: Motor Guide Xi5 vs Terrova
BNelson
Posted 2/27/2015 11:33 AM (#756406 - in reply to #756404)
Subject: Re: Motor Guide Xi5 vs Terrova

I agree, I've always said I'd love if Minn Kota simply offered the Powerdrive footpedal for the Terrova...simply plug and play !
jonnysled
Posted 2/27/2015 12:19 PM (#756411 - in reply to #756395)

tswoboda - 2/27/2015 10:53 AM

If there's no momentary on/pulse feature, then what exactly does this button do?

that's the one i use on my other motor ...
Captain
Posted 2/27/2015 12:30 PM (#756412 - in reply to #756395)

tswoboda - 2/27/2015 10:53 AM

If there's no momentary on/pulse feature, then what exactly does this button do?
I am almost 100% sure that button in the upper right is the momentary button. The continuous button is the bottom right prop button. I wish I had actually used it, but that is how I remember the layout when I looked at it.
Captain
Posted 2/27/2015 12:32 PM (#756413 - in reply to #756404)

M Winther - 2/27/2015 11:28 AM
the Motorguide pedal seems to have been designed primarily with the bass market in mind. many bass fishermen are used to rocker-style pedals that are placed in recessed holders on the front deck of the boat in order to avoid "Capt'n Hook" leg. in that case, the momentary on-off is in a more sensible location.

the MinnKota pedal feels like an attempt to please both bass fishermen with the rocker and walleye fishermen with the buttons.

i'd like it better if they offered two different pedal versions, one rocker style and one that was purely tap-buttons. but i suppose the economics of that approach aren't good for the companies?
This is most certainly it.
Masqui-ninja
Posted 2/27/2015 12:32 PM (#756414 - in reply to #756411)

Hmm. I do the tap-tap a lot too, I just turn the pedal sideways and tap the left or right side...bigger target than a button.

Honestly, the cruse control is bomber too. Set it on .3, .5, or 1.2 m.p.h. and let IT compensate for wind waves. It works great.

The anchor and jog is really the best boat control I can imagine. It would be really sweet if they could incorporate that feature into the pedal.

As long as I'm dreaming out loud...What about a button on the foot pedal that would mark a waypoint! A customize-able foot pedal is the future?
tfootstalker
Posted 2/28/2015 10:46 AM (#756572 - in reply to #717703)

I'm a boat control freak. Fishing mid lake steep breaks is my favorite. I'm getting a new TM in the next month or two on my "new" boat that has a perfectly working Maxxum. I really want the xi5. It sounds like it has the Terrova beat in every category except the most important one. That foot pedal. I was really disappointed when it finally was released and that was the pedal they went with. I'll be going Terrova without question and I run Lowrance too. Bn, sounds like your like me. In fact I may go Ulterra, if they are re-released in time, just for the fact that the spot-lock button is on the foot pedal. To me that is just as cool as the self deploy. It would be awesome if they offered two pedal versions with the xi5.
lookin4_big_gurls
Posted 2/28/2015 11:00 AM (#756575 - in reply to #756572)

I am with you as well!! The foot pedal is the most important thing! Too bad all the other features aren't as good as the MG. I am all Lowrance too but I dont care about linking in any way, I just want the terrova foot pedal with the right left arrows.
4amuskie
Posted 2/28/2015 12:32 PM (#756588 - in reply to #756575)

Motorguide has the pedal. Just not sure if it works with Xi5.
Part # 8M4000952
lookin4_big_gurls
Posted 2/28/2015 3:32 PM (#756605 - in reply to #756588)

I believe thats the wireless foot pedal for their older wireless model...im not sure if it works with Xi5 either
kap
Posted 3/7/2015 11:27 AM (#758005 - in reply to #756572)

i too like the Xi5 but won't buy one with the current foot pedal
how soon before a different version is available?

Edited by kap 3/7/2015 8:01 PM
Paul S
Posted 3/8/2015 9:29 AM (#758150 - in reply to #717703)

Anyone know the dimensions of the Xi5 pedal?
MuskyManiac09
Posted 3/10/2015 9:14 AM (#758581 - in reply to #717703)

One thing I haven't heard anyone talk about is the Heading Lock (MG) vs. AutoPilot, and this is the main reason I am hesitant to switch to MG.

On iPilot you have advanced AutoPilot which is GPS based (has the circle around the N on the remote screen) as well as standard AutoPilot which is compass based (no circle around the N). MotorGuide has just a GPS based Heading Lock.

I fish with standard Autopilot on 99% of the time because if you do some drifting the motor will stay pointing forward, which is nice for speed and/or location adjustments. With a GPS based lock your trolling motor would be turning trying to get back on that straight line it draws out from the motor when you turned the setting on.

Example, let's say the bow of your boat is pointed towards shore and you're drifting from right to left down the shoreline. With a compass based system your motor will always point ahead to the shoreline. With a GPS based system your motor will now be turning to the right as you drift until it is pointed basically 90 to the right.

So in this case with a MotorGuide you would not be able to use heading lock at all and have to run your motor in a "manual mode". Have any of you MG owners encountered problems with this, or what did you think of this when you switched from Minn Kota to MotorGuide?
Captain
Posted 3/10/2015 10:38 AM (#758610 - in reply to #717703)

MuskyManiac, I have commented on course lock before, maybe not this thread as I think there was another one about the MG last summer.
If you want the motor to stay pointed forward in the situation you described, don't turn on courselock, its as simple as that. I had probably a 2 mile stretch of shoreline that I was fishing on Lake of the Woods last summer that had all sorts of nooks and crannies, but the wind didn't cooperate to just fish it in a trolling pattern so I drifted along it as you described. I just pointed the bow toward the shoreline and didn't use courselock at all. I would kick the motor on from time to time to maintain the depth or distance from shore that I wanted and it worked well. Previously when I had the MK autopilot motors I would turn off the autopilot and fished it the same way. It wasn't a change for me at all.
I find myself using Courselock with Cruisecontrol about 90% of the time. Like MinnKota, xi5 uses GPS accuracy for its courselock. It actually sets a series of "virtual" waypoints in a path in the direction your are heading when using this feature and continues down that path until a user input. If you decide you want to head a little bit left or right, just use one of the arrows on the keypad or tap the pedal the direction of the new course and it splashes the "virtual" waypoints on the new course and you are in business.
Using these two things with cruise control is awesome because you can dial in the exact speed you want to go and it will adjust for current and wind direction automatically. This probably applies more for walleye fishing than musky I think, which is how I used it predominantly last year.
VERY impressed with this motor. Not a single regret from me. I had MinnKota on my boats for over 30 years and it wasn't an easy switch, but after thorough research it became obvious for me and this was supported with my on the water experience.
I am not a foot pedal guy so the concerns expressed about that have no bearing on me. I put that thing in the storage compartment and haven't taken it out since. I guess all the years with the crappy Power Drive pedals converted me to a remote. Those things never worked right.

Edited by Captain 3/10/2015 10:46 AM
Zinox
Posted 3/11/2015 4:14 AM (#758825 - in reply to #717703)

This is a bit hard to explain, but can you use heading lock, to drift down a river with the current, but slower than the current?
Eg. If I point it downriver, press headinglock set it to 0.5knots and the current speed is 1 knot, would the boat then swing around and be slowed down by heading lock?

Captain
Posted 3/11/2015 8:19 AM (#758852 - in reply to #717703)

Thats a good question, but I think you would want the boat pointed with the bow up river in order to do that. I haven't tried doing that at all. Kinda slip drifting. I am not sure how the cruise control feature will work because when you configure the unit you actually synch the trolling motor so it knows which is the bow of your boat. I am not sure how this will work.
You might have to just point the bow upstream and set the motor on continuous and trial and error until you get the desired speed.
Now you have me thinking I will have to try this when our nearly 3 feet of ice disappears.
M Winther
Posted 3/11/2015 9:41 AM (#758869 - in reply to #717703)

you can do that with the Terrova...select the "old" style (compass) AutoPilot pointed upstream and turn the trolling motor on just enough to slow your drift. it's great for slipping along structure on windy days too. it would work with the "new" style (gps) on the Terrova or Xi5, just not as well.
i particularly like having the option of the "old" style for slipping along structure horizontally to the wind with the bow pointed away from the structure. this is only possible using the compass-based setting to control boat positioning without it also trying to change boat orientation as you drift along. it slows you down and allows for parallel presentations that cover the entire break.
Zinox
Posted 3/11/2015 1:43 PM (#758925 - in reply to #717703)

Thanks for the replay guys
MuskyManiac09
Posted 3/11/2015 1:52 PM (#758930 - in reply to #758869)

M Winther - 3/11/2015 9:41 AM

i particularly like having the option of the "old" style for slipping along structure horizontally to the wind with the bow pointed away from the structure. this is only possible using the compass-based setting to control boat positioning without it also trying to change boat orientation as you drift along. it slows you down and allows for parallel presentations that cover the entire break.

This is exactly what I was talking about in my question. You can do this in the MotorGuide if you turn off the GPS based Heading Lock, but I think you will be constantly adjusting the position of the trolling motor. Otherwise I like everything better about the MG but this part, and it is this "minor detail" that might keep me from switching.
MikeHulbert
Posted 3/14/2015 3:54 PM (#759628 - in reply to #717703)

Just reading this for the first time....if getting a Xi5, and you plan on fishing alot...you will need to make a trip to Menards or some other hardware store. I ran my Xi5 last year and had two foot pedals, I broke the tension springs in both foot pedals after about 40 days of use on them. Not easily replaced..but the heavy duty springs you buy at Menards are like 80 cents a piece. I broke all 4 springs last year and once I put the springs in, it worked great. I loved the motor....the foot pedal...not so much. The anchor button is in the wrong spot and every day I would accidentally hit it with my foot as it slip off the pedal. It's a great motor. Strong, quiet, turn speed is awesome....just with a little bit more thought and quality would have been put into the foot pedal.
Masqui-ninja
Posted 3/19/2015 9:18 PM (#760598 - in reply to #756588)

4amuskie - 2/28/2015 12:32 PM

Motorguide has the pedal. Just not sure if it works with Xi5.
Part # 8M4000952

F.Y.I. motorguide finally got back to me, apparently the Brute wireless foot pedal does not work with the Xi5.
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 3 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)