Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> deep cycle battery charger

Reply New post
Message Subject: deep cycle battery charger
Muskyteer
Posted 5/29/2014 12:15 PM (#713293)
Subject: deep cycle battery charger

Hi guys, I just change my 2 deep cycle batteries and seems like they didn't get fully charge. could it be possible that my charger is not as effective as it used to be?

There is a red light that come on when I plug it and another light that come on when charging and light goes off when supposedly fully charge.

The charger that came with my Sylvan is a Guest pro charger.

If i have to change it, do you guys recommend any type of charger in particular.

thanks for your help!!
muskyhunter47
Posted 5/29/2014 2:00 PM (#713314 - in reply to #713293)
Subject: Re: deep cycle battery charger

How old are your battery s
Muskyteer
Posted 5/29/2014 2:16 PM (#713316 - in reply to #713293)

the battery's are brand new 27 interstate
ESOX Maniac
Posted 5/30/2014 8:13 AM (#713373 - in reply to #713316)

Are they the same model/manufacturer as your old batteries?
Are they wet-cells or VRLA's (Sealed - No maintenance)?
Recheck your battery terminals for tightness...... A loose terminal will also affect the apparent performance.

Good luck,
Al

Edited by ESOX Maniac 5/30/2014 8:14 AM
Fishen-ski's
Posted 6/1/2014 6:34 PM (#713598 - in reply to #713293)
Subject: RE: deep cycle battery charger

I've had a couple of new batteries that seemed to take a couple
of times before they kicked in. I don't know why that is, but I was ready
to yank one after two half-nice try trips w/a new battery & bring it back, but after
the third round it worked perfectly the rest of the season.
Muskyteer
Posted 6/2/2014 8:06 AM (#713645 - in reply to #713293)

Hi Al,

yes they are the same as my older battery but i've upgrated to a size 27 interstate batery instead of a size 24.

I will verify my terminal to see if everything is tight!!

thanks. !!
ESOX Maniac
Posted 6/4/2014 6:25 AM (#713990 - in reply to #713645)

I forgot! Pull your TM prop off & check for fishing line, etc., that will also affect tjhe performance.

Good luck

Al
Muskyteer
Posted 6/17/2014 11:22 AM (#716206 - in reply to #713293)

hi guys,
ok i've been out a few times and my batteries never charge fully!! the props is line free, everything seems to be tight and wire are at the right place....could it be possible that the charger is no longer working fine, would there be any fuse on the charger that could affect is capability of charging the batteries fully?
thanks again!!!
ESOX Maniac
Posted 6/18/2014 5:32 AM (#716380 - in reply to #716206)

Are your batteries wet-cell (you can add water) or VRLA (No Maintenance)?

Go to Radio Shack & get a digital voltmeter. Then check each battery voltage after the charger is plugged in for about 8 hours and post them here.

I assume you have a 24V trolling motor, if so also measure the voltage from the positive terminal of battery #1 to the negative terminal of battery #2.

Al

Edited by ESOX Maniac 6/18/2014 5:36 AM
Muskyteer
Posted 7/7/2014 7:09 AM (#719458 - in reply to #713293)

Hi Esox Maniac,
My batteries are VRLA (No maintenance). I will go buy a digital voltmeter and post the results once I charge my batteries for 8 hours.

I do have a light on my charger that tells me when the charger is charging the batteries and the light goes off befor the 8 hours timeframe. Is that normal ?
ESOX Maniac
Posted 7/7/2014 10:10 AM (#719487 - in reply to #719458)

Its probably an automatic timer to prevent overcharging- it may not be providing long enough recharge time. Also check the voltage while charging it should be ~13.8V. If its 14.4V, you have the wrong charger for VRLA's, e.g. its a wet-cell charger with equalize. If so your batteries may be damaged from overcharging.

Good luck!
Al

Muskyteer
Posted 7/8/2014 11:08 AM (#719713 - in reply to #713293)

thanks i will check that out!!
but what I find strange is that 6 years ago when I bought the boat everything was fine and I was able to go out all day and used the trolling motor. i've even upgrade my batterie from a interstate 24 to a 27. I will keep you posted with my voltmeter specs soon.
thanks again.
Muskyteer
Posted 8/1/2014 7:35 AM (#723705 - in reply to #713293)

Ok, i've done testing with my mecanic and my batteries are fully charged (proof of the Batterie tester 850AMP plus) and on my trolling motor it's says that I only have 50% charge!! I have the minn kota 55lbs 12 volt system and it's the 7 summer of use. My batteries are interstate 27 weet cell. Do you guys think that my trolling motor is given up on me?
Coondog
Posted 8/1/2014 9:10 AM (#723725 - in reply to #713293)

I've worked on these sort of problems for several fishing buddies. First, check your power supply line for any loose or corroded connections. Also, if any exposed stranded copper near any connections are turning green/brown from oxidation, cut the wire back till you get to fresh shiny copper. If no problems there, check the voltage at the trolling motor connection to make sure you're getting full power to the TM. If no problems there, it could be several things in the internals of the TM. If the TM has been used a good amount, the brushes in the TM electric motor may be getting worn. You can replace the motor, but if that's the problem it may be more beneficial to just replace the unit.
Shep
Posted 8/5/2014 11:45 AM (#724278 - in reply to #723705)

Muskyteer - 8/1/2014 7:35 AM

Ok, i've done testing with my mecanic and my batteries are fully charged (proof of the Batterie tester 850AMP plus) and on my trolling motor it's says that I only have 50% charge!! I have the minn kota 55lbs 12 volt system and it's the 7 summer of use. My batteries are interstate 27 weet cell. Do you guys think that my trolling motor is given up on me?

Are those the LEDS on the TM? if so, press the button only when the TM is not running. If they still don't read all LED's on, then I'd say maybe some are not working?

A 7 yr old TM may not have the efficiency it had when new. brushes wear, commutators wear, bearings may be dirty, or deteriorating connections points may be possible. If you want to be sure, take to an authorized Minn Kota Service Center and have it checked out.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)