Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Tuffy 1760 Trolling motor Wiring question

Reply New post
Message Subject: Tuffy 1760 Trolling motor Wiring question
curleytail
Posted 3/20/2018 10:30 AM (#899446)
Subject: Tuffy 1760 Trolling motor Wiring question

My 2008 1760 GT has 8 gauge wire running into the battery box for the trolling motor. I'm going to upgrade the wire to a larger gauge.

Tugged on the wires coming into the compartment and they seem pretty solidly stuck. 2 questions:
1.) Are they taped to something or another wire cluster in the boat?
2.) Are the wires that run the front trolling motor tied into wires that run to the trolling motor plug in the back of the boat too?

Reason I ask is I'm wondering what length of total length of run of 8 gauge wire is currently in the boat. If they are all hooked together and there's 20+ feet, I'll probably rewire the short run to the front with 6 gauge and be just fine. If the run from the batteries to the front is already just a short run (maybe 8 feet or so), I might up it to 4 gauge, just to be safe. Figure overkill in that area can't hurt, but is it worth the extra money?

My 80 lb Terrova shuts off if running it at about 60 or 70 percent for a length of time, and I think it might be due to voltage drop with the 8 gauge wire. Wired in a Battery Tender plug (very solid & heavy duty) and still have the same symptoms. I have a feeling bigger wire might take care of the issue.

Thanks,

Tucker
kjgmh
Posted 3/20/2018 10:39 AM (#899450 - in reply to #899446)
Subject: Re: Tuffy 1760 Trolling motor Wiring question

What amp breaker are you running?
curleytail
Posted 3/20/2018 10:43 AM (#899453 - in reply to #899446)

60 amp manual reset Minn Kota. The breaker never trips.

According to the charts 6 gauge should be good for the 8 foot or so run I need. But I'd rather not spend money on wire twice either.

I read somewhere that the Terrovas have an auto shutoff if volts drop too low as amps increase. My batteries are fairly new AGMs that seem to have plenty of run time available so I don't think they are to blame. Same thing happened with the original batteries in the boat also before I replaced them.

Tucker

Edited by curleytail 3/20/2018 10:46 AM
danmuskyman
Posted 3/20/2018 4:32 PM (#899484 - in reply to #899446)

May not be a wire issue at all, that Tuffy came with a Marineco plug that are notorious for the connections being poor or coming loose which would cause heat and your motor to shut off. That was the case with my 1760 so I hardwired my new Terrova and never had the issue again.
curleytail
Posted 3/20/2018 4:45 PM (#899487 - in reply to #899484)

I don't like the Marinco plug either. Its been swapped out for a Battery Tender plug. Very solid connection and I think rated to 100 amps. Changing from 40 to 60 amp manual reset breaker and the new plug has not solved the issue. The next thing I can do is upgrade the wiring.

If that doesn't solve it, then I need to investigate the trolling motor. But 8 gauge wire might be on the light side. It for sure is light if the wire runs front to back which I think it might.
danmuskyman
Posted 3/20/2018 9:13 PM (#899526 - in reply to #899487)

Sorry I missed the part about a new plug. My boat had two sets of battery cables run from the floor of the rod locker (where the batteries are) to the bow, so they did not go to the back.
Paul S
Posted 3/21/2018 5:03 AM (#899537 - in reply to #899446)

On my X-190 I replaced my Marinco plug with a Battery Tender plug and I rewired with 4 gauge wire since I kept tripping my circuit breaker with my XI5. No problems since.
sworrall
Posted 3/24/2018 1:25 PM (#899934 - in reply to #899446)
Subject: RE: Tuffy 1760 Trolling motor Wiring question

curleytail - 3/20/2018 10:30 AM

My 2008 1760 GT has 8 gauge wire running into the battery box for the trolling motor. I'm going to upgrade the wire to a larger gauge.

Tugged on the wires coming into the compartment and they seem pretty solidly stuck. 2 questions:
1.) Are they taped to something or another wire cluster in the boat? ...Yes, to the back harness
2.) Are the wires that run the front trolling motor tied into wires that run to the trolling motor plug in the back of the boat too? ....yes, two wiring blocks. If you are not using the rear plug, no issues, and you should never use both at once.

Reason I ask is I'm wondering what length of total length of run of 8 gauge wire is currently in the boat. If they are all hooked together and there's 20+ feet, I'll probably rewire the short run to the front with 6 gauge and be just fine. If the run from the batteries to the front is already just a short run (maybe 8 feet or so), I might up it to 4 gauge, just to be safe. Figure overkill in that area can't hurt, but is it worth the extra money?

My 80 lb Terrova shuts off if running it at about 60 or 70 percent for a length of time, and I think it might be due to voltage drop with the 8 gauge wire. Wired in a Battery Tender plug (very solid & heavy duty) and still have the same symptoms. I have a feeling bigger wire might take care of the issue.

Thanks,

Tucker
curleytail
Posted 3/25/2018 7:13 PM (#900052 - in reply to #899446)

Thanks guys. I ordered 4 gauge wire. Figured for the extra 10 bucks I won't have to wonder if went big enough.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)