Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Etherneting on a Tuffy Esox Ltd.

Reply New post
Message Subject: Etherneting on a Tuffy Esox Ltd.
HunterDM
Posted 2/18/2018 2:56 PM (#892984)
Subject: Etherneting on a Tuffy Esox Ltd.

Good day to all, have a winter/spring project ahead of me. I have a 93 Tuffy Esox Ltd. which is in like new condition which I converted from a 12 volt to 24 volt system. Moving both trolling motor batteries to ex. storage in front deck area. Would like to ethernet my front locater a hummingbird 859 to my rear which is a hummingbird 998. My question is how to get the ethernet cable from the front to the back. I do have the old 12 volt wire harness which is still underneath the flooring from the original 12 volt hookup. Have tried to pull on one of the wires to see if it would possibly come through with no luck. Have thought about trying to fish tape it but...... Any other ideas? Looking forward to any help that anyone may have.
14ledo81
Posted 2/18/2018 4:12 PM (#892998 - in reply to #892984)
Subject: Re: Etherneting on a Tuffy Esox Ltd.

I just installed an exposed conduit from the front to the rear. I linked my trolling motor to my hummingbird.
sworrall
Posted 2/18/2018 4:27 PM (#892999 - in reply to #892984)

Should be able to fish wire from the front to the rear, not easy to get it started from the small electrical panel square, but if you can get the wire over the front deck bulkhead, it should go all the way to the transom.
jdeezay74
Posted 2/18/2018 7:46 PM (#893024 - in reply to #892984)
Subject: RE: Etherneting on a Tuffy Esox Ltd.

yes fishtape will work not the funnest thing to do by far. I will tell you when you run your cable put another piece of wire or nylon string on it and pull it with your ethernet cable and keep it attached so if there are any future wiring projects you have a pull wire already there.
HunterDM
Posted 2/19/2018 6:35 AM (#893057 - in reply to #892984)

Thanks guys for the responses. Purchased the boat new 25 yrs. ago and have taken very good care of it. Added a justncase to extend to the front deck for storage. Kind of figured I might have to fish tape. Is there a reason why the ex. wire will not pull through. Is it fastened to anything along the way. And Steve, getting it over the bulk head. What kind of obstacle is possibly in the way. And... good idea to add another wire for future. If I can not get, anyone know of someone that could possibly help! Thanks!
mtcook16
Posted 2/19/2018 3:03 PM (#893135 - in reply to #892984)

Good luck! You'll appreciate the results when complete
RyanJoz
Posted 2/19/2018 3:33 PM (#893141 - in reply to #893135)

be sure to buy the ethernet cable longer than you really need. i needed a 25 foot cable in my 17 foot boat due to how i had to route it.
Jerry Newman
Posted 2/20/2018 2:34 PM (#893251 - in reply to #893141)

I've got a fair amount of experience with this and completely understand the frustration when it should pull through but doesn't, good advise on the longer cables and Steve's suggestion is spot on… basically it's much easier if you can find a midway access point.

Having that existing wire is a big plus and you shouldn't need a fish tape unless there's something really weird going on. I recommend tight wrapping another heavy-duty wire onto it first and see if you can get it to pull all the way threw before attaching the Ethernet cable (with another pull wire attached). When you're pulling the wire it's important to keep the end of the ethernet cable protected and not put any pressure on it, rather just on the wire itself.

I've had some issues trying to get the extra size of the ethernet or especially transducer ends to pull through, and have had to file down the collar some to get them threw tight spots more than once. Just keep working it back and forth, one direction might work better than the other so try both directions with two people before giving up.

GL!
HunterDM
Posted 2/20/2018 5:23 PM (#893272 - in reply to #892984)

Thanks gentlemen for all of your advice and wisdom with this, I may post again if I am having difficulty! So......looking forward to it if I can get it! Still quite do not understand why the existing trolling motor cables will not move though!
HunterDM
Posted 2/25/2018 6:41 AM (#893794 - in reply to #892984)

Good Sunday morning to all. OK, tried fish taping from access in front several times not being able to get through. Took out the cover for the floor drain and found the 12 volt wire there with other electrical wire taped together. I then removed the drain cover and stuck my phone in the drain hole and snapped some pictures. The entire area by the bulk head which is approx. 20" from the drain hole has a plywood wall running the width of the floor and spray foamed on the bottom the entire width and all around the wire running so.... no access there. I then proceded to remove the 8" access hole by the live well to see possible options running it underneath the live well to the front since there is access to the fuses etc. from that hole. Also took some pictures there and it looks like in front of the live well towards the deck it is also spray foamed about 12" past the end of the live well. Was hoping for some luck there. The other side by the rod locker is exposed to the front storage which is nice and which is why I was hoping for the same on the live well side. Any other suggestions, was hoping for a nice clean look. Thanks guys!
14ledo81
Posted 2/25/2018 6:45 AM (#893796 - in reply to #892984)

I ran into similar issues which is why I chose exposed conduit.
sworrall
Posted 2/25/2018 7:58 AM (#893805 - in reply to #892984)

Sorry, I missed that it is a 2003. I think you will need a conduit for that one.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)