Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Lids Open or Closed for Winter Storage

Reply New post
Message Subject: Lids Open or Closed for Winter Storage
TheShow
Posted 11/21/2017 8:52 AM (#884808)
Subject: Lids Open or Closed for Winter Storage

When you guys put your boats away for the winter do you leave your storage compartments open or closed?

I put an after market cover on the boat (take the nice Lund cover off) and keep the boat in an unheated detached garage. I've never had an issue with mice in the off season but as a precaution I always put a handful of dryer sheets in the boat to deter them.

Thanks in advance
Show
VMS
Posted 11/21/2017 10:12 AM (#884812 - in reply to #884808)
Subject: Re: Lids Open or Closed for Winter Storage

Hiya,

I would put dryer sheets/moth balls in all compartments, and then let them be closed. If the boat is garage kept, it will be a non-issue.

This year I switched to moth balls, as we had a mouse or two get into the unheated garage and still got around a bit with the dryer sheets all over.

Steve
AndrewR
Posted 11/21/2017 10:25 AM (#884815 - in reply to #884808)

I keep all lids open to completely dry out and to prevent mold. Fabric softener sheets get placed in each storage compartment and in livewells. Also open the drain plug and jam a balled up fabric sheet into the hole. Never had a problem with mickey mouse getting inside during winter.
Pepper
Posted 11/21/2017 11:33 AM (#884820 - in reply to #884808)

Closed lids never thought about leaving them open
jchiggins
Posted 11/21/2017 12:58 PM (#884826 - in reply to #884815)

AndrewR - 11/21/2017 10:25 AM

I keep all lids open to completely dry out and to prevent mold. Fabric softener sheets get placed in each storage compartment and in livewells. Also open the drain plug and jam a balled up fabric sheet into the hole. Never had a problem with mickey mouse getting inside during winter.
Mickey's not near as bad as a knocked up Minnie mouse. I swear by dryer sheets too.
ToddM
Posted 11/21/2017 1:36 PM (#884830 - in reply to #884808)

I keep my lids open all the time, keeps the smell out. If you are worried about mice, set traps.
goose007us
Posted 11/22/2017 10:45 AM (#884884 - in reply to #884808)

Moth balls work wonders.
muskymartin67
Posted 11/23/2017 6:34 PM (#884971 - in reply to #884808)

I keep my boat in an unheated barn with limestone floors, its out in the country so lots of field mice around, I tried moth balls one year, stink is terrible and stayed lingering inside carpeted rod locker, and other compartments for 3 years after so i switched to dryer sheets and they absorbed some of the stink, now I always use dryer sheets and set up a few poison trap boxes too. I leave rod locker and other carpeted compartments closed , live wells stay open dont ask why but ive done it like that for years now and works for me, I also drop straps so critters dont use them to climb up to boat and leave motor trimmed up, sides of boat are smooth so they can't climb up that and I remove all seats , cushions life vests , ropes etc anything that would be cozy or could be used for nest material and never had a problem
Brian Hoffies
Posted 11/23/2017 8:12 PM (#884987 - in reply to #884808)

Biggest thing to keeping nice out of the boat is to vacuum ALL THE CRUMBS from the boat. As fisherman we like to eat, as men we tend to make a mess. Mice look for food and set up camp there. Keep the food out of the boat and you won't have a hard time keeping the mice out. Bounce dryer sheets are what I have used for 15+ years.
Fishysam
Posted 11/27/2017 9:57 AM (#885203 - in reply to #884808)

In aspect of doors, if you have gas lift asssist, they want to be open, when open they have nearly no pressure. When closed there is a bunch of pressure and when it get cold the seals can shrink and leak, so maybe the door being open is better for the shocks...
deadbeef
Posted 11/28/2017 2:57 PM (#885322 - in reply to #884808)

I try to keep the lids open over the winter for the same reasons mentioned, keep moisture, mold, and mildew to a minimum.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)