Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Xi5 owners

Reply New post
Message Subject: Xi5 owners
MuskyTime
Posted 9/19/2017 8:52 AM (#878431)
Subject: Xi5 owners

Just wondering how motor guide Xi5 owners would rate their experience with this trolling motor.

Not a post to bash Motor Guide just curious if others are having the same problems as I am. I purchased mine in early 2015 so it was one of the original units and I paid just under $1,600. I have had nothing but problems with my unit and it's in the shop again and I'm told the repair may cost close to $800 in parts alone! Out of warranty so I could be looking at $1,000 to repair a 2 year old unit. Might become the first $1,600 anchor!

Many features I do like about the Xi5 such as the anchor lock/jog and quietness, but for the most part the heading lock is pathetic on my unit. I use the wireless pedal in conjunction with the remote. Use the remote to engage the heading lock and steer with the pedal. I believe they have upgraded the circuit board several times now and have several software upgrades to correct the problem of the unit trying to determine what steering input to follow. (Remote input and pedal input digital signals causing steering and command issues) I still have the original circuit board but have had the software upgrade, but still having the same problems with heading lock. Always drifts right, spins around like it's possessed, will turn 90 degrees un-commanded almost throwing me out of the boat, or the head oscillates back and forth trying to maintain a constant direction. I have done the on the water re-calibration without help.

So for those of you that have an Xi5 and have had the same issues as I am having....have you had any success in getting the problem fixed? If so what did they replace?

I am told the new xi5's have a new and improved circuit board so if you own a newer unit you may not have had any of these issues. But for those of us that purchased the xi5's when they first came on the market, many have experienced the problems I am talking about.

Thanks for any input.

Ed
Pointerpride102
Posted 9/19/2017 8:58 AM (#878432 - in reply to #878431)
Subject: Re: Xi5 owners

I purchased a unit last year and other than it taking on water right out of the box (warranty fix), I've had no issues. Love it.

Edited by Pointerpride102 9/19/2017 8:59 AM
Ross K
Posted 9/19/2017 9:00 AM (#878433 - in reply to #878431)

I have used mine the last 3 years, no probs. love it.
MuskyTime
Posted 9/19/2017 9:37 AM (#878438 - in reply to #878433)

Hey Ross,

Just wondering.... do you use your hand held remote with the wireless pedal at the same time? Or just one or the other?

Thanks,

Ed
NickD
Posted 9/19/2017 9:47 AM (#878440 - in reply to #878438)

Installed mine spring 2015. Only complaint is the crappy motorguide props. The 2 blade has less thrust. The 3 blade is great in open water but awful in weeds. Need to get a minnkota prop for it.

I had the springs in the pedal break and replaced them with heavier duty ones. I use either the pedal or remote not both at the same time. Sometimes keep a remote on deck for spotlock for boat partners if needed.
Serpant
Posted 9/19/2017 12:05 PM (#878452 - in reply to #878431)

Ed, bought mine the same year. I don't use them (foot pedal and remote) together unless sucker fishing and don't seem to run into issues (use remote to putz around the lake and then switch to foot pedal if fish on). However, I did once almost flew out of the boat when using both while panfishing with the kids...but thought it was user error at the time. I haven't done any upgrades or anything, but I really do like this motor. Things I wish were better though was a speed gauge screen on the remote and better prop.

Chris

MuskyTime
Posted 9/19/2017 1:06 PM (#878454 - in reply to #878452)

Hey Chris,

Yes it seems they rushed it to market and didn't consult with fishermen. Would be nice to have a readout on the remote like the Terrova. Would be nice if you could engage heading lock using the pedal and would be nice if the head lit up so you could see what direction it is facing at night.

Imagine fishing a wind blow reef on the woods and mid retrieve the trolling motor decides to turn 90 degrees from the set heading! Happens a lot with my unit. Or your in heading lock and you tap the pedal to make a slight adjustment and the head spins around 6 times.

Waiting to hear from the dealer what they find. Said most likely parts will be in the $600 to $800 range and that's not counting labor. He was going to talk with motor guide and see if they would do a one time post warranty free bee. Seen several xi5's stacked up all with the same issues. I was told by the dealer they have upgraded the circuit boards several times and most likely mine is faulty from production.

Time will tell.

Might be going back to the newer terrova......but sure do like the spot lock compared to the terrova.

Ed
Ross K
Posted 9/20/2017 9:22 AM (#878550 - in reply to #878431)

I do use both at the same time... I like the auto pilot feature, wish I could turn it on with the pedal. Easier to change direction with the pedal...
Paul S
Posted 9/20/2017 4:39 PM (#878618 - in reply to #878431)

I have run one since last May. No problems. I think they could have designed things a little better especially when turning off spot-lock. I have barely used he auto-pilot features so maybe I would have the same problems as you. I think the pedal is fine and have not understood its criticism by some. I would give it a 7.5/10
Zinox
Posted 9/23/2017 5:25 AM (#878974 - in reply to #878440)

NickD - 9/19/2017 9:47 AM

Installed mine spring 2015. Only complaint is the crappy motorguide props. The 2 blade has less thrust. The 3 blade is great in open water but awful in weeds. Need to get a minnkota prop for it.

I had the springs in the pedal break and replaced them with heavier duty ones. I use either the pedal or remote not both at the same time. Sometimes keep a remote on deck for spotlock for boat partners if needed.

Does the minn kota prop fitt the XI5 ?
Zinox
Posted 9/23/2017 9:23 AM (#878991 - in reply to #878431)

Thanks, have any one tried the Kipawa props ?
sukrchukr
Posted 9/25/2017 4:53 PM (#879259 - in reply to #878431)

I got mine early 2015 and I like the unit.... the only issue I have it the cruise control takes off full blast at will! I always use the remote
Dirt Esox
Posted 9/26/2017 9:25 PM (#879391 - in reply to #878431)

Muskytime, I had the same issues as you. Not cool around reefs in big wind when xi5 would go rogue.

Sell it and get an Ultrex. Best musky fishing motor I've ever owned so far, it's a hybrid between a Fortrex and Terrova, does all things well, spot lock is pretty close to xi5 accuracy.
Captain
Posted 9/27/2017 1:38 PM (#879437 - in reply to #878431)

This is my 3rd season with the xi5 and I did have a problem out of the gate, but that was clearly a manufacturer defect. They overnighted a new unit and received the day after the original (I would plug in trolling motor and it ran WIDE OPEN, couldn't turn off).
Aside from that it has been great.
I never use the remote and foot pedal together. I tried that once but it was clear that wasn't a good idea since it got confused.
The only time I have experienced the type of behavior mentioned is when using both the remote and foot pedal together OR if the remote batteries were dying. I replaced the remote batteries and it was flawless.

There have been times in Canadian Shield type scenarios that it seems to have a difficulty with heading, but I just quickly push the heading lock button to disable it for a bit and then back on.
I had this SAME exact problem with the Minn Kotas I had previously.
IDK about the comments about a display on the remote, I don't want that at all. That just makes it clunky. I have made so many comments on different forums, facebook, etc against that. It is so easy to use as it is I see no benefit, prop on, LED on motor on, cruise on, GPS fix blinks, set cruise speed is 1.0MPH by default, +/- button increases or decreases speed .1MPH.
Its really that simple.
Then if you get the Pinpoint gateway it is even better you can do it all from the HDS, which is what I do when I sit behind the console.
MuskyTime
Posted 10/4/2017 1:18 PM (#880116 - in reply to #879391)

Dirt Esox - 9/26/2017 9:25 PM

Muskytime, I had the same issues as you. Not cool around reefs in big wind when xi5 would go rogue.

Sell it and get an Ultrex. Best musky fishing motor I've ever owned so far, it's a hybrid between a Fortrex and Terrova, does all things well, spot lock is pretty close to xi5 accuracy.

Dirt,

Yep a big safety issue in my mind. I almost got thrown from the boat a few times. They replaced my circuit board will try it out this weekend. I'm ready to sell it and go back to Minn Kota!
mtcook16
Posted 10/4/2017 1:59 PM (#880130 - in reply to #879391)

Dirt Esox - 9/26/2017 9:25 PM

Minn Kota Spot-lock versus Motor Gguide:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5uYIiTElVg

From everything I've heard/seen and experienced on my own boat, the 2017 Minn Kota motors with new the i-pilot/ or Link software are more accurate.

Edited by mtcook16 10/4/2017 2:01 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)