Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Minn Kota looses power shuts down

Reply New post
Message Subject: Minn Kota looses power shuts down
Dave F
Posted 9/22/2016 11:36 AM (#831068)
Subject: Minn Kota looses power shuts down

i have a minn kota Terrova 85 24 volt motor. both batteries where new last year. when i first start using it, it works fine. after about 15 minutes it looses power noticeably and then quits (shuts Off) altogether. all the connections at the battery and the fuses have been checked. all seem OK. Has anyone else had this problem and what was the cause?
thanks.
Dave
esoxaddict
Posted 9/22/2016 11:39 AM (#831069 - in reply to #831068)
Subject: RE: Minn Kota looses power shuts down

Dave F - 9/22/2016 11:36 AM

i have a minn kota Terrova 85 24 volt motor. both batteries where new last year. when i first start using it, it works fine. after about 15 minutes it looses power noticeably and then quits (shuts Off) altogether. all the connections at the battery and the fuses have been checked. all seem OK. Has anyone else had this problem and what was the cause?
thanks.
Dave

Did you check the water in those batteries?
Dave F
Posted 9/22/2016 10:12 PM (#831128 - in reply to #831069)
Subject: RE: Minn Kota looses power shuts down

i haven't checked it recently. but the boat dealer called this afternoon where i had taken it and said one of the batteries was bad.
i just got them last year; i'd didn't think they would go bad that quick. i was wrong again. hopefully, a new battery will fix it. he had to order it. it won't be here until next week.
dave
169sportsman
Posted 9/22/2016 10:51 PM (#831132 - in reply to #831068)
Subject: Re: Minn Kota looses power shuts down

Not sure why, but I believe it is recommended to replace both batteries at the same time.
AndrewR
Posted 9/23/2016 11:19 AM (#831170 - in reply to #831068)

In addition to batteries, I would check the circuit breaker also. Had a similar issue with losing power and shut-down with my same model Terrova last year, but my batteries were new. Problem was the circuit breaker for the 24V battery connection went bad, replaced the original ancient one off boat in favor of the MinnKota brand ($40 piece). Fixed everything.

Edited by AndrewR 9/23/2016 11:21 AM
short STRIKE
Posted 9/23/2016 12:08 PM (#831178 - in reply to #831170)

additionally, there should be some type of warranty remaining on that battery if it's only a year old.
bob1
Posted 9/23/2016 12:23 PM (#831180 - in reply to #831068)

If you have an on-board battery charger, I would check to make sure that bank is working correctly. Went through 2 batteries that way. Charger would say the battery is fully charged, but it was not. The lights on that bank were always about the same as the other trolling motor battery. After a while, that banks lights were different than the other one! Replaced the charger and everything works the way it is supposed to now!
Bob
Dave F
Posted 10/3/2016 10:38 PM (#832213 - in reply to #831180)

tried the trolling motor today after the battery was replaced. it still doesn't work. it isn't getting the thrust it should have and after using it for a while it starts shutting off. even though it won't run at full thrust as it should, i can't get the foot pedal past number 8. it cuts out all the time above that and eventually won't run on any setting.
any ideas?
thanks for the help,
Dave
matchbook454
Posted 10/4/2016 6:15 AM (#832223 - in reply to #832213)

I'm. Erring on a bad breaker. Had a similar issue with my PD 70.
btfish
Posted 10/4/2016 7:14 AM (#832227 - in reply to #832223)

Some more details would help?

Did the unit work before and now it doesn't?

What did you change?

Did you try running it without the breaker?

Is your boat wired in series or parallel?
If in series? Do you have a shutoff switch on the jump between the + & -? If yes, what kind and how many amps is it rated for?

Are you running through a plug or wired direct? If a plug what kind?

What is your wire size and rough run length?

Do you have a meter and did you check the voltage your unit is getting? It sounds like it could be low, that's why it doesn't run on high and eventually is getting hot and shuts down. A bad connection, plug, undersize wire, or maybe a breaker could do this.

Should be able to fix this.

Edited by btfish 10/4/2016 7:56 AM
Dave F
Posted 10/5/2016 10:35 PM (#832461 - in reply to #832227)

The marine dealer says the other battery is bad. i don't know why that didn't show up the first examination. so....i'll keep you posted. the battery had to be ordered. i hope this finally does it.
thanks for all the advice.
dave
pklingen
Posted 10/6/2016 4:58 AM (#832470 - in reply to #831068)

maybe time to look for a different marine dealer.......................

and a minn kota service center...............
VMS
Posted 10/6/2016 10:30 AM (#832494 - in reply to #831068)

If the batteries don't do it, my gut instinct says the motor may need new brushes in the motor head behind the prop. That is a sealed area, so it is most likely not an area that is easily accessible for replacement...

Steve
tyler k
Posted 10/7/2016 2:27 PM (#832590 - in reply to #831068)

I'm having the same issue with my PD V2 right now. Charger new in May and batteries in June. Batteries are reading correct on my volt meter, charger appears to be functioning properly. Just bought a new breaker and hopefully that fixes it.

Helpful thread as I try to trouble shoot this.
Dave F
Posted 10/20/2016 11:27 AM (#834184 - in reply to #832590)

update on the trolling motor troubles:
replacing the second battery did the trick. maybe next time I'll be able to realize what the problem is sooner. perhaps those batteries were made on a Monday?
The marine dealer didn't charge me anything and the batteries were covered under warranty. I've had it out three times now; I wanted to make sure that is what it was. thanks for the advice.
now, if i could just catch one. the bite is really slow.
Dave F
mtcook16
Posted 10/20/2016 2:05 PM (#834203 - in reply to #831068)

Glad to hear it is solved. Many problems come back to the power source/connections
btfish
Posted 10/20/2016 4:36 PM (#834220 - in reply to #834203)

Did you really solve the problem??

Or are you just putting a band aid on it for now? It is VERY rare that 2 batteries wired correctly and taken care of correctly would be bad. Are your batteries hooked up in series? If yes do you have a switch on the jump between the + & -? Are you charging with the + & - connected? Do you leave your charger on for long periods of time? Do you disconnect your trolling motor when you charge?

This is not the first time I have seen guys toast 2 batteries and all of the above can play a role.

My guess is you will have a problem again.
bob1
Posted 10/22/2016 6:30 PM (#834401 - in reply to #831068)

Do NOT discard the idea that your battery charger is not to blame. I went through 2 sets of almost new batteries before I found out it was the charger. Charger said batteries were fully charged. They were not. Battery charger ruined 2 batteries for me!
Read my post above.

I hope for your sake it IS the batteries and you are good to go!!!
Bob
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)