Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> What would you do?

Reply New post
Message Subject: What would you do?
ToddM
Posted 9/4/2015 9:15 AM (#783156 - in reply to #782773)
Subject: Re: What would you do?

Used is the way to go but as discussed be smart about it. I bought my brother's hardly used 142dlx princecraft for 2 grand. About a stable a 14ft boat as you could get,put in anywhere and fish big water using your head of coarse. Then I found a 1750 crestliner with 10 hours for half of what it cost new. 15 grand. I have two boats that can put me anywhere I want to go with 17 grand invested and a ton of life left in both. The princecraft alone has seen upwards of 800 muskies.
btfish
Posted 9/4/2015 1:48 PM (#783209 - in reply to #782773)
Subject: RE: What would you do?

Well here is a completely different idea.

I know so many guys who fish alone (not because they want to) but the kids who they fished with all their life have moved on and they haven't found a person to take the void. I see it all the time and it may be me someday. Most of these guys are great guys and would love to help a guy out.

I would reach out to one of these guys and become his fishing partner, you will gain a new friend, more than likely learn a bunch and be able to fish while you are cashing some money away. Be certain to tip the guy, offer to bring coffee, and/or food, and pay for gas but that should be a standard when ever you fish with someone else's rig.

So anyway guys have a safe weekend, don't forget the boat lights and life jackets, it could be crowded out there with the warm weather.
johnsonaaro2
Posted 9/4/2015 2:02 PM (#783210 - in reply to #783209)

This is exactly what i've been looking for. I'm just always hesitant to ask because I dont want them to think I just want to use them for their boat... Always willing to pay for gas/mow lawn/buy lunch/buy beer/just about anything short of sexual favors haha
tinner
Posted 9/7/2015 9:27 PM (#783562 - in reply to #782845)

PSAGuy - 9/2/2015 1:32 PM

The ONLY advice I'll give you now is as a young man try to resist at ALL costs taking on debt. This from an old codger who knows. Your life will change dramatically in the next few years in many ways. You want the ability to save and let your money work for you. Don't get caught in that paycheck to paycheck trap that many end up in. Your life will be much happier without the debt. TRUST ME please on this one. You will have plenty of time as an older and financially secure individual to get any "dream rig" you want. My Ranger 620 was my dream rig, and I bought it AFTER I put my kids (3) thru college and AFTER I could pay cash for a brand new one. It's worth waiting !!!
Good luck....and keep saving.

I second this,

Young anglers and anglers in general are 1) spending way more than they need to on boats to catch fish 2) Taking loans out on boats !

Don't take a loan out for a boat !
Paul S
Posted 9/8/2015 5:36 AM (#783572 - in reply to #783562)

I second this,

Young anglers and anglers in general are 1) spending way more than they need to on boats to catch fish 2) Taking loans out on boats !

I agree with this in theory but a small loan for a used boat is not unreasonable as long as the payoff is fast (2-3 years tops). If it is the difference between having a boat for a season versus sticking to the shore or hoping to fish with friends all season, then take the loan. And I am thinking along the lines of a 20-something year old that has a steady job that is buying a 10K boat and has to take out a small loan. Thankfully, my father gave me loans for my first couple trucks and boats and now I pay cash for trucks and toys. But the OP has 15K so he is good to go.

Edited by Paul S 9/8/2015 9:06 AM
PSAGuy
Posted 9/8/2015 10:16 PM (#783725 - in reply to #783572)

Paul S - 9/8/2015 5:36 AM

I second this,

I agree with this in theory but a small loan for a used boat is not unreasonable as long as the payoff is fast (2-3 years tops). If it is the difference between having a boat for a season versus sticking to the shore or hoping to fish with friends all season, then take the loan. And I am thinking along the lines of a 20-something year old that has a steady job that is buying a 10K boat and has to take out a small loan. Thankfully, my father gave me loans for my first couple trucks and boats and now I pay cash for trucks and toys. But the OP has 15K so he is good to go.

The fact that he has $15k saved is terrific ! Now....he can purchase a depreciating asset with that money, OR invest it and let the money work for him. Don't get me wrong....I love to fish. But a young man today that saves money needs to think to the future. It's coming like a freight train !! Once that $15k is dropped on that boat, it's value drops by 20%. I am assuming here this is a young guy. If he for example rents a home, he should be putting that $15k into a home...and reaping the rewards of the tax savings. Unless this young man is making $150k/yr, my advice to him is forgo the boat and spend some money on building your future. I know it's a tough decision....but financial security is priceless. A 50" muskie cannot compare !!!
Paul S
Posted 9/9/2015 5:15 AM (#783735 - in reply to #783725)

PSAGuy - 9/8/2015 10:16 PM

The fact that he has $15k saved is terrific ! Now....he can purchase a depreciating asset with that money, OR invest it and let the money work for him. Don't get me wrong....I love to fish. But a young man today that saves money needs to think to the future. It's coming like a freight train !! Once that $15k is dropped on that boat, it's value drops by 20%. I am assuming here this is a young guy. If he for example rents a home, he should be putting that $15k into a home...and reaping the rewards of the tax savings. Unless this young man is making $150k/yr, my advice to him is forgo the boat and spend some money on building your future. I know it's a tough decision....but financial security is priceless. A 50" muskie cannot compare !!!

I agree. Obviously, a fella should take care of other financial commitments before buying a boat. But I do think someone in their 20s can be fiscally responsible and still own a boat.
Musky Brian
Posted 9/9/2015 7:26 AM (#783740 - in reply to #783735)

Life is too short...buy the boat
whynot
Posted 9/9/2015 8:36 AM (#783745 - in reply to #782773)

I agree with Brian. Buy a boat, live life now, especially when you can get a solid musky boat for $15k. Who knows, maybe you'll decide spending $30-40k isn't worth it as you can catch a lot of fish out of cheaper boats!
kkrieg
Posted 9/9/2015 12:08 PM (#783775 - in reply to #782773)

used boat is a great way to go, but a few years ago i was looking for a new boat had some money saved up. had a good idea what i wanted started looking on the net found a new boat that sat on the show room floor for 4 years. the dealer wanted to get rid of a tuffy1760gt never saw water. trolling, motor graphs, battery charger and a few other little things $22,000 for it was the boat that fit my dreams pull the plug had a small loan on paid it of. and life it is great. so keep looking
smalljaw
Posted 9/10/2015 10:56 AM (#783947 - in reply to #782773)

Where I would challenge the OP is do you really know what your ideal boat is? 10 years ago I thought I did, only to buy it and find out it wasn't the right rig for me. Then I had to sell it, take a loss and start over... In the 4 years before I bought it I was boatless, seemed like an eternity. In hindsight best thing would have been to use the cash I had to buy a good used boat in the interim and learn more about what I really like and what I don't. Then in 4 years when you have more cash saved to buy new for cash, you might have a much clearer idea of what is best for you long term. Short term boat ownership and flipping doesn't usually work out very well financially.
BNelson
Posted 9/10/2015 11:14 AM (#783954 - in reply to #783947)

you should be able to find a good used glass boat and if you get a decent deal on it you could run it a few yrs and not lose much..with the price of new glass boats going up every year, the market for used glass boat prices is fairly stable... I'd get a boat now, get on the water, and have fun... your priorities could be a lot different in 4 yrs to the point the boat you have is plenty of boat..remember, the boat doesn't catch the fish....
Shep
Posted 9/10/2015 11:21 AM (#783957 - in reply to #783947)

smalljaw - 9/10/2015 10:56 AM

Where I would challenge the OP is do you really know what your ideal boat is? 10 years ago I thought I did, only to buy it and find out it wasn't the right rig for me. Then I had to sell it, take a loss and start over... In the 4 years before I bought it I was boatless, seemed like an eternity. In hindsight best thing would have been to use the cash I had to buy a good used boat in the interim and learn more about what I really like and what I don't. Then in 4 years when you have more cash saved to buy new for cash, you might have a much clearer idea of what is best for you long term. Short term boat ownership and flipping doesn't usually work out very well financially.

Great advice. Also, great advice about finding a boat now, and get out an have some fun!
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)