Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: A good fisherman always knows when to quit.
- (Added by: H2O)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> Fourth Annual World Championship Lure Building Contest

Message Subject: Fourth Annual World Championship Lure Building Contest
sworrall
Posted 11/21/2014 10:37 AM (#741070)
Subject: Fourth Annual World Championship Lure Building Contest

The event had undergone multiple changes recommended by you, the finest lure building artists anywhere. MuskieFIRST will be directly involved throughout the project, and will see to it you receive the recognition you deserve.

The event will span TWO shows this year.

The judging will take place here, on this board, promoted across the entire OutdoorsFIRST Media platform, AND at the shows, and the lure auction will as well so thousands of folks who do not attend the shows will have an opportunity to vote.

The lures will generate MUCH more revenue after the winners are announced. The money raised will go the the National Professional Anglers Association, and will be used to bring kids into the sport of fishing. I work with this organization, and the number of kids they introduce to fishing each year is absolutely amazing. It's a very deserving non profit and the $$ will be accounted for throughout the year; you will see how your efforts to build the coolest custom lure ever help introduce kids to the sport!

Let's get this thing rocking as the best and biggest custom lure display ever. Any questions, feel free to contact John or me personally.

http://muskie.outdoorsfirst.com/articles/11.18.2014/7725/Fourth-Ann...

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(a_7725_1118142.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments a_7725_1118142.jpg (578KB - 222 downloads)
MACONE
Posted 11/21/2014 12:07 PM (#741086 - in reply to #741070)
Subject: RE: Fourth Annual World Championship Lure Building Contest

Sworrall
I will be sending one or two this year, and Thank You for all your support and effort to make it and even better contest!
Scotty
jbreivogel
Posted 11/21/2014 12:32 PM (#741090 - in reply to #741070)

Thank you for all of your support, we want to make this the best competition yet. Hope to see all of your entries and please let me know if you have any questions. Thank you!!!!!
jbreivogel
Posted 12/1/2014 4:10 PM (#742294 - in reply to #741070)

For every person that submits a lure for the competition you will receive 2 VIP passes to attend the Chicago show. (note: 2 passes per lure maker)
Good Luck!

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(freetickets.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments freetickets.JPG (81KB - 201 downloads)
jbreivogel
Posted 12/15/2014 8:46 AM (#744124 - in reply to #741070)

Check this out, Mark Palbicki got his lure on the cover of Musky Hunter partly due to the exposure he received from the lure contest. Good luck to all supporting this great cause!!!!
Beaver
Posted 12/18/2014 11:16 PM (#744726 - in reply to #744124)

Is there any way you can send me an entry form? I can't get that form to come up no matter which program I choose.
Thanks, Beaver

[email protected]
MACONE
Posted 12/19/2014 6:44 AM (#744732 - in reply to #741070)
Subject: Re: Fourth Annual World Championship Lure Building Contest

Beaver
I sent you one to your email.

Thanks
Scotty
sworrall
Posted 12/20/2014 11:52 PM (#744908 - in reply to #744732)

This contest will help fund the NPAA Kids and Family Fishing program, which is dedicated to bringing new folks into the sport, especially young people.

A question was asked that was clearly answered on the entry form...who are the judges?

'5. Lures will be judged by each paid patron entering show and by registered users on the Outdoors First Website.'

Your peers. The people you wanted to judge the lures, according to all of last year's comments.

The voting right here on MuskieFIRST will carry equal weight to the voting at the shows by folks who visit the booth and look over your entries.

The auction for the lures will be heavily publicized, and will run right here on MuskieFIRST, much like the other fundraisers we operate using the Chat room. Your PEERS will be bidding, as will members of the NPAA and a considerable group of industry folks and the public. Our goal is to get the lures the recognition they deserve, and raise enough money from the auction to truly make an impact with the NPAA Kids and Family Fishing events program. Many of the kids I watch receive a rod, some lures, and a T shirt at these events would otherwise never own a fishing rod, and hundreds go fishing with their single parent Mom or Dad for the first time in their lives every year after getting that free rod and reel from the NPAA after a seminar by one of the Pro volunteers.

Beaver
Posted 12/21/2014 4:03 AM (#744911 - in reply to #744908)

I am entering for sure.

I know where my bread is buttered, so to speak, and I know that without this forum I never would have become a true basement bait builder, and I definitely wouldn't have ever sold any lures. I consider myself lucky to have a place like this, to exchange ideas, to help others, and to help people in need doing something that I love to do.

I remember the day we spent in the boat when we floated the idea of a forum on the site for all of the people out there who liked to "roll their own." I've been tying walleye jigs since I was 15, I make my own arrows and have made my own golf clubs. It's just one of many things that I love to do. I remember talking about how the forum would help those just starting out if those with years of experience would be willing to help, afterall, there are lots of secrets when it comes to making lures that catch fish.
I remember that both of us were kind of floored at the response of the long time lure builders, because there was never a question that went unanswered or a shortage of opinions when they were asked for. For those who contribute, I am proud to say that I make better lures today than I ever have and it's thanks to the guys who contribute to this site.

When I do make lures to sell, this is always the first place that I list them because I feel like this site is a brotherhood and I'm going to keep things in-house. I also make it a priority to donate lures for outings even though I have never been asked. I remember handing out lures to kids that showed up at outings. If you don't want to, that's your business, and I'm not going to say you have to. Those of you in clubs from Kansas to Canada know I am an easy mark when it comes to asking for fund raising prizes. I also know that in the last 3 months I have sold lures to members of those clubs and all of the guys mentioned that they appreciated my donations so they figured they would come to me for lures and repaints. It's funny how things have come full circle. I haven't made any lures in two years because of my health and the ones that I sold made it possible for me to replenish my depleted paint supply. I am grateful for this site, the Basement Bait Builders forum that I helped invent and for the Buy Sell Swap board, without it I'd be up to my ass in ebay fees and shipping costs.

I've taken pride in donating lures for good causes, from helping a baby with a birth defect to sending wounded warriors to Canada. I always thought it came with the territory.

I remember the first lure contest and watching in amazement that the fact that it was a fund raiser was ignored and it was treated more like a bargain hunt. Hell, I bought my own lure for $100 and thought maybe guys would take the hint because you can't raise funds for charity by selling lures for $15. I look forward to helping people raise money to get and keep kids fishing, I also want to send some veterans to Canada. Speaking of Canada, when a friend of mine bought some of my lures recently he told me he wanted to buy some more for his clubs fund raiser. When I found out that all of the funds were used to pay for fishery studies at Universities that provide better muskie fishing I told him that I'd be sending him some extras on me.

I'll never get rich. Making lures isn't my livelihood. But I feel that when I am capable of helping out fellow board members or helping outdoorsfirst itself, I am going to do it. It just seems right. I have never had to advertise. I don't pay fees for ads. And I owe lots of people for helping me be a better lure builder, so when I can help, I will. Now I don't want a dernedload of requests from people and clubs that I've never heard of, but you guys who I have helped know what I am talking about.

This lure building contest is a chance for the artists in the group to show off. It's also time for those of us who love to make lures to show off a little bit. Even my daughter is going to enter a lure this year. Why? Not to strut, but to help a good cause raise money. Nothing more, nothing less. If you want to help out, it's up to you. If you don't want to help it's up to you too. But remember, Steve gives us this place to learn and help and share and sell all for free. He could easily change that in a minute for all of the hard work that is put into this place, but he doesn't and we, the lure builders and painters benefit from it for free. It's not going to break anyone to donate a few lures to an outing every year. Fund raising events are easy to find. And outings and fund raisers are places that lure buying fishermen see our wares. So think of this site and the outings and fund raisers as hot spots for advertising even if you only sell enough lures to stay in fresh paint , hooks and screw eyes, like me.

I'm not going to tell anyone what to do, but when we hatched the idea for the BBB forum one of the things I said was that we'd never have to look far for contributions for outings of all sorts if we gave the builders a place to play.

That's my 2 cents on the subject, and I want to thank Steve and Zach and Keith for all of their hard work, and I want to thank every guy who ever bought a lure from me...won a lure that I made in an auction, and took the time to contact me and thank me or ask me how they could get some. I've made lots of friends on this site and lots of those friends have been getting in touch with me wishing me a Merry Christmas and trying to place orders while I still have my hands on some very unique Redwood. This is a place that I'm loyal to and it's the place where I am going to sell those once in a lifetime lures and I'll donate some to outings and the Kevin Worrall tournament because this is where I refined my talents and got help from some of the best lure builders around all because Steve made it possible for us all to hang out together.
The next time that you post a picture of a lure that you want everyone to see because you're really proud of it, think about donating it.....just sayin'.

Merry Christmas,
Beaver
Fish and Whistle
Posted 12/29/2014 3:06 PM (#745769 - in reply to #741070)

Well said Beaver, your a good man and a hell of an artist. I just gave my entry to the UPS guy. IMHO this contest has improved every year and with sworrall and M1 really getting involved this could really be great.
Beaver
Posted 12/30/2014 11:49 AM (#745895 - in reply to #741070)

Having it on here will greatly improve the contest and will get a better return on the auction. More people=more bids. And remember, it's a fundraiser. I had enough after the first year, when I saw some guys wife taking ballots from anybody who would give them to her and filling them out. There hasn't been that kind of ballot box stuffing since the last Iraq election. There are so many more builders out there, and some that are just mind blowing, that I expect some amazing entries. Can't wait to see them.
CedarLakeMusky
Posted 1/2/2015 11:54 AM (#746300 - in reply to #742294)

John,

Will there be passes for the Milwaukee show? Might make the drive down there again this year.

Thanks,
Scott
laker
Posted 1/3/2015 9:50 PM (#746478 - in reply to #741070)

A Suggestiion,

If one could film and interview builders involved in the Musky Lure World Championship and view their lures on You Tube then others far away such as myself could see and also admire these works of art. You could also use this venue to increase funding for the kids of National Professionall Anglers Association and bring welcome attention to your craft.
I have been in awe of the talent shown in this forum! Best Wishes for the New Year - jim
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)