Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "God made man first so as to give him time to thinkof an answer to her first question"
- (Added by: Raider150)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> Clear Coating alternatives to E-Tex

Message Subject: Clear Coating alternatives to E-Tex
Musky_Slayer
Posted 3/28/2015 1:48 PM (#761952)
Subject: Clear Coating alternatives to E-Tex

I know this subject gets covered a lot but am curious if anyone knows what sealers and clearcoats are used on a jackpot, or reefhawg, or any of the older style wood baits. I am guessing they are a 2 part automotive clear coat but was curious if there any any other methods used for sealing and clear coating.

I enjoy building baits but am getting tired of breathing E-Tex and having it everywhere

Thanks
Trophyseeker50
Posted 3/28/2015 6:15 PM (#761994 - in reply to #761952)
Subject: Re: Clear Coating alternatives to E-Tex

Most production paint jobs are cleared with either auto clear or water borne auto clear.

I can tell you from a lot of experience that if you don't like breathing etex you really won't like auto clear. And nothing is even remotely as durable as epoxy
h2os2t
Posted 3/28/2015 10:14 PM (#762043 - in reply to #761994)

Most automotive clear coats have isocyanides in them and breathing them is not very healthy(as in make you dead). There a couple out there that are pretty close to epoxy but they are thinner and eventually they will wear threw, there is no clear(including epoxy) out there that a hook will not wear into though.

Edited by h2os2t 3/28/2015 10:15 PM
MRichardson
Posted 3/30/2015 11:09 AM (#762352 - in reply to #761952)
Subject: RE: Clear Coating alternatives to E-Tex

If you don’t like the fumes in the house get yourself one of those hobby spray booths with 4” dryer hose exhaust.  Then make a plexiglas sheet that fits in a window opening to send the exhaust outside.  I attached a picture of my set up.  I mix epoxy, foaming urethanes, and occasionally will spray the 2K auto clears.  It’s does a pretty good job of getting the nasty’s out.  It’s rated at 270 cfm’s, anything more and I’d suck all the heat out of the house.  I do my work right in or as close as possible to the booth’s opening.  For the 2k auto urethanes they recommend and explosion proof motor, but I’m still here lol

If you are making baits for yourself just use a rattle can lacquer and redo the bait when necessary.

Edited by MRichardson 3/30/2015 11:12 AM

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(rsz_2spray_booth.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments rsz_2spray_booth.jpg (91KB - 285 downloads)
Jeremy
Posted 4/2/2015 12:49 PM (#762998 - in reply to #761952)
Subject: RE: Clear Coating alternatives to E-Tex

I enjoy building baits but am getting tired of breathing E-Tex and having it everywhere

Hmm, sorry to hear of your dissatisfaction with Etex. Obviously you know much more than I do about it but I just coated 4 baits with it in my basement woodshop and never smelled anything obnoxious. In fact I was really surprised at the total lack of smell...and it was really simple to use, save for the fact that I didn't use a turner as suggested and had some drips that I had to watch.

Thanks to Marling for his help/suggestions. Maybe my nose is just going bad ... I was really surprised though and I do other work with epoxies in fly tying big flies. - 5 mins epoxies though. Stinks!

Good luck and hope you find some resolve.

BTW my baits look like crap but they'll fish alright.

Jeremy.

woodieb8
Posted 4/2/2015 5:07 PM (#763044 - in reply to #761952)

I am devolping a problem with etex. I use approx. 1 gallon a month. over the years I am getting an itchy reaction. now its all rubber gloves and Benadryl occasionly. every paint or clear can be offensive
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)